Why is Disney doing this? (with international guest)

They are already subject to all relevant European privacy laws on account of their extra territorial scope unless they can argue they do not offer their services for sale at all to people located in the EU and that they do not monitor or profile those people (who still has MDE location tracking set to always...).
Just curious - it was my understanding that folks in the EU are not able to book resorts or buy tickets directly with Disney Parks (US), but rather must book through what is essentially a travel agent “Disney Holidays” (aka Walt Disney Travel International) based out of London. The exception being those who use a VPN setting in the US to circumvent the automatic re-direct to the EI site. Would the UK travel agent be considered the same as the US company selling goods and services in the EU?

Aussie here. Nearly fell off my chair when I read this.

As an Aussie, I am able to book directly through the US Disney website (or the UK one). I have set up my MDE on the website and downloaded the app on my phone. I'm all set to make my dining reservations 60 days out. I'm no lawyer, but I'm not sure why suddenly there would be an issue that only applies to advance attraction bookings?

Luckily for me, we'll be arriving in the US a week before our trip, so won't be impacted by this personally. However, I am outraged for my fellow Aussies (and other internationals), and hope that they are working on a solution to this urgently!

Conflicting information from the UK trip planning forum, in a good way. See the part with the asterisk.

View attachment 871286

According to this, only non-resort International guests are excluded from the 3 day pre-booking.
Unfortunately, this is not the information that has been given to travel professionals who help clients with their trips.

All booking will need to be done via the app and international guests need to be in the US in order to purchase and book advanced selections.

Unfortunately, this is not the information that has been given to travel professionals who help clients with their trips.

All booking will need to be done via the app and international guests need to be in the US in order to purchase and book advanced selections.
I don't know that will is the right word. I think it's more like might until disney announces something official or it actually happens. It wouldn't be the first time travel professionals were provided incorrect information when things were announced before all information was made clear.

I don't know that will is the right word. I think it's more like might until disney announces something official or it actually happens. It wouldn't be the first time travel professionals were provided incorrect information when things were announced before all information was made clear.

Basing it on the information sent direct from Disney, in the official materials to learn about the changes and to help clients plan.

So, this is what we have been told we can share with our clients.

Last edited:
I just did some digging on several non-Disney sites and saw the same info about international guests not being able to pre-book until they're on American soil. However, I also saw an ad on one of the sites about using a US travel agent to circumvent this situation. What is the difference between using a US agent vs a Disney Holidays agent? Isn't Disney Holidays the official travel agency for WDW-bound guests from Europe?

Basing it on the information sent direct from Disney, in the official materials to learn about the changes and to help clients plan.

So, this is what we have been told we can share with our clients.
I've seen some of that and it also mentions you can only download the app in the US and that isn't true either

What makes this source less credible than other chat agents or blog posts that started the rumour to begin with.
I don’t think I’m allowed to mention a competing website here. But the source I’m quoting has direct contact with the Disney Comms team. I’m pretty confident they have the correct information as of right now. I will absolutely shocked If Disney doesn’t fix this issue. This will cost them an obscene amount of business if they leave it this way.

I don’t think I’m allowed to mention a competing website here. But the source I’m quoting has direct contact with the Disney Comms team. I’m pretty confident they have the correct information as of right now. I will absolutely shocked If Disney doesn’t fix this issue. This will cost them an obscene amount of business if they leave it this way.
Yea to me that sounds like a have a cousin who has a friend who knows a guy

I will say, I will believe this rumour if/when Disney announces it. Until then, not stressing.

Each person can believe what they wish but to me, something this major, IF true, would be communicated to all by Disney.
It would be easy enough for them to add the disclaimer to their detail page, IF it is true.

Last edited:
Never one for reading Ts and Cs but I read the apps yesterday with all this going on and it states for use in USA only. I go in August so will just see how this plays out. Also on another point, MDE has all my details including my card details and has had for the last 3 years, so exactly what GDPR rules would they be breaking? Maybe I’m missing something?

I will say, I will believe this rumour if/when Disney announces it. Until then, not stressing.

Each person can believe what they wish but to me, something this major, IF true, would be communicated to all by Disney.
It would be easy enough for them to add the disclaimer to their detail page, IF it is true.
Definitely true, no doubt. Spoke with two different reps at Disney today and the owner of a very prominent Disney blog/podcast and they all confirmed International guests can NOT book unless they are touching US soil. Absolutely outrageous and despite having a trip booked for later in the year which is already paid for, it will stop me travelling to Disney again unless this ludicrous rule changes.

Definitely true, no doubt. Spoke with two different reps at Disney today and the owner of a very prominent Disney blog/podcast and they all confirmed International guests can NOT book unless they are touching US soil.
This new rule is going against Disney logic. There's no way they would risk alienating international guests and losing 💰💰💰💰. I'm not disputing what you heard, just feel like we're missing something. Hopefully there will be some clarification soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest