Skeptical bf - movies to prep for Disney trip

I really appreciate everyone's responses, but I do think this is the ultimate approach I'm going to take. The movies are useful in psyching me up, but even they don't really convey what you're going to experience in the parks. I think I'll let the awesomeness of the whole experience (and the Haunted Mansion) speak for itself.

I don't want to kill the magic before we get there - watching the movies might just ingrain his misconceptions even more.
Good move - just let Disney work its magic as it has done to so many of us in the past. Good luck!

Animation is a beautiful storytelling medium.... many don't even realise some cartoons are Disney, or that they aren't... :)

It's hard to describe what might spark that nostalgia if one didn't have those memories... but I think you should enjoy the Parks and get him some Disney history books and let him learn about the place/s! Learning about the art history and the artists can be less challenging and controversial than worrying about the political jokes and societal differences that are immediately obvious when watching older animation. :)

Dumbo the Ride is WAY cooler than arguing about the existence of the crows in Dumbo the Movie

Honestly, I would try the ole guide book left in the bathroom ploy. I would stop talking about it for a while and leave a Passporter book by the potty. It is an excellent guidebook because of the way the info is laid out. It worked on my DH. he is an addict like me now. I do all the planning and he interjects different ideas from time to time. Basically he shows up for the trip and lets it unfold. Good luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful time. Don't forget to do some activities he might enjoy like golf, ESPN, fishing, etc.

I think I'm going to go with that and Saving Mr. Banks. I think we have a connection with some of the themes in that movie, which he'll be surprised about. And I've never seen the American Experience about Walt! Excited.

In a similar vein, check out "Waking Sleeping Beauty" which talks about the environment at the Disney studios during the Disney Renaissance. Really gives you a feel for the changing of the guard that was going on during that time, as well as the tensions and egos that were present among the main figure-heads.

For fictional movies to convince a guy, I'd going with the classic Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Toy Story and A Nightmare Before Christmas movies. For less sentimental traditionally animated films that aren't often mentioned, I always liked Rescuers Down Under (Disney's first collaboration with Pixar) and the Great Mouse Detective (a take-off on Sherlock Holmes.)

Is this a movie? If so I just HAVE to see it. I love Tomorrowland. Then of course I am hard pressed to find a "land" in WDW that I don't love. I just love it all.

This is a movie that came out a couple of years ago with George Clooney and Britt Robertson. It was directed by Brad Bird so that's a big plus in my book. It is very Disney and I liked it a lot, though it performed poorly. Many cite a somewhat weak ending, which is justified, but for me the message of the movie overcame that. I actually bought a Tomorrowland pin (see the movie ;)) and I never buy pins.

Here is some information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1964418/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I really appreciate everyone's responses, but I do think this is the ultimate approach I'm going to take. The movies are useful in psyching me up, but even they don't really convey what you're going to experience in the parks. I think I'll let the awesomeness of the whole experience (and the Haunted Mansion) speak for itself.

I don't want to kill the magic before we get there - watching the movies might just ingrain his misconceptions even more.

Smart move. There are so many different things that people can appreciate at WDW. Some enjoy the tie-ins to Disney movies. Some people enjoy rides (that may have nothing to do with Disney movies) whether it be for the theming, the thrills, or the technology. Some people enjoy sampling different foods or shopping (there's a festival going on at Epcot in March). Some just like being in a resort environment with a variety of recreational options. Disney parks are about much more than the movies, as you mention. Have a great time!

We brought DD's BF to WDW for the first time this summer. We are all Disney lovers-movies and parks, he is not. I knew going in he was more apprehensive about the trip than excited but knew he was game. He's not a big ride fan so I tempered our usual wants with what I thought would work for him. Didn't force feed him anything, gave him the opportunity to experience things. We did MK the first day, EP the second , HS morning then AK in the afternoon of the third. EP was his overall favorite because it felt more adult oriented to him. He really enjoyed AK (especially FOP). MK was good and HS he was ok with but to be fair he weather was lousy so that played into it. Long/short of it, he enjoyed himself and is good with making a repeat trip. That was my goal. I wanted him to enjoy it enough that he was open to future trips. I figure the love can come later as long as he can enjoy the moment.

I suggested Tomorrowland because if her BF is not big into Disney its a way to interject some without being in his face with it. Some subtle nods to the worlds fair and its a small world. Its got some good action too and its live action thus staring him away from some of the preconceived notions about Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter