Shula's Steak House - STAY AWAY

Thats to bad you had such rude service and there is no excuse for it.
We've dined at Shula's in WDW 3x and each time it was fantastic. The wait staff was very good and friendly. Our food excellent and only the souffle needs to be ordered when you are ordering your meal. They do offer other desserts.

We haven't tried Shulas yet - in fact, it's one of the few places we haven't tried @ WDW. I think we've pretty much eaten every place else. SO, for our next trip (whenever that is) we were going to try it. I don't know about that now. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and get such poor service, no matter how good the food is.

I don't mind spending $$$ on a nice meal, but lately I've been somewhat disappointed at WDW restaurants. For instance, for the last few years Blue Zoo has been our favorite. It was always the first place we had dinner, so it was quickly becoming a tradition. We were there in May and boy were we disappointed. The food, although not terrible, wasn't up to snuff. Just not as good as years past. My DH got the dancing fish which he had been dying to try and he said it was "just okay." Well, the service was just "blah" - sort of on the snotty side. This was a different experience because in the past the service has been very very good. It's off our list now. Also, last year we went to Yachtsman Steakhouse. We hadn't been in about 3 years just because we've been trying to go to different places, but YS was a favorite of ours. The service was OUTSTANDING but the food...not so great. I had to send my steak back (ordered med rare) twice and when they finally did get the inside cooked to a true med rare, the outside was just charred to death. it looked like a well done steak. So, that's off the list.

I don't mean to sound like a complainer who just wants to find something wrong because that is not the case. I've truly noticed a downfall in many of the restaurants. We've started doing some off-site dining.

PamNC

We've eaten there four or five times and have had good meals each time. It is by far the best beef on property. YSH is the minor leagues compared to Shula's in both service and quality and when you get down to it it's just as pricey.

I'm sorry your server was a dope.

I agree with you on Shula's. We ate there about two years ago and it was just average. It was not worth the prices they charge. I have had better steaks at Le Cellier, Jiko & California Grill. Even the Outback beats Shula's hands down.

Thanx for the review ~ Poor service anywhere will ruin a meal.

I have herd about half and half for this place. Now I probably wont go. Thanks for the great review.

mbroadhead said:
I agree - STAY AWAY-
The only thing they want is your tip and they will do some pretty underhanded things to boost your tab!

Go to the Yacht Club or off property if you really need a good steak, just don't go here!

ITA, our server told us we should "split 3 seafood samplers" between the 5 people in our party. Sounds great until we got the bill and were actually charged for 8 appetizers. :crazy:

Debbie :wizard:

Wow. Bummer. We were going to eat at Shulas here in New Orleans because they closed Ruths Chris. We love our steaks but because of these reviews I dont no if I want to spend the money and take a chance. Will stick with Dragos (New Orleans) and get lobster :banana: :banana: .
Thanks for review.

Yes, thanks for the review. I was actually planning on going there, but this review really turned me off of it.
I can find another good steak-place.

Sorry for the experience you had! Did you speak to a manager while you were there?

Honestly, this was the only part I found odd to be upset about:
He also said all the desserts take 30 minutes to make, “SO, ORDER APPROPRIATELY!”

Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t know what I want for dessert or if I even want dessert before I even have my appetizer. We figured if we want dessert, we will ask for it at the end and wait the 30 minutes. The restaurant wasn’t busy and we weren’t in a hurry.
This was something we were told when we ate the California Grill back in 2000 about the chocolate souffle...to order it right away (before dinner) that way it would be ready by the time we were done with dinner. It's something we're told every time we eat at Max & Erma's about their chocolate chip cookies...to order it so that way they're done by the time the meal is finished. I understand you weren't in a hurry, but they had no way of knowing if it's ok for you to wait or not. Many people would probably throw a fit if their dessert took 30 minutes or more to come out to them. It's not uncommon for any restaurant to encourage you to order dessert ahead of time if the dessert takes times to make. I personally wouldn't fault them for that.

seems like CARLOS was the big problem. sorry you had to spend so much money for a not so perfect evening.

Also, I have so wanted to dine at Peter Lugas??
so the staff there is kinda snobby as well?

Brooklyn has so many great restaurants...

where do you suggest I dine?

live in NJ...may have to be in brooklyn for business in the future
where do you suggest?

I was talking recently to our sales manager (SM) at work about their trip to Shula's last winter. There is a trade show in Orlando (yes, I am currently lobbying to go next year :teeth: ), and one night our GM, Sales Mgr and two clients went to Shula's. SM said the service was awful. They were alternately ignored and then experienced rudeness. He said they were not shown the cuts of meat at all and although the food was good, the service was ridiculous.

After the meal, SM called and spoke to a manager and discussed their experience. He told him that they had wanted to come back the next night and bring the sales team, but because of the service they would be cancelling the reservation. The mgr assured him that they would receive top notch service, guaranteed.

They decided to go back, and were given a private room and servers hovering the whole time. My latest boss was there with the sales team and has fond memories of eating the 42 (?) oz porterhouse and accompanying sides and ending up on the Shulas website. He is very proud of this. :rotfl:

I think it's awful that the service was so over the top only when a reservation for about 12-15 people on an expense account was in jeopardy. :rolleyes:

As for us? We'll stick with Le Cellier and Yachtsman.

OKWAnneMarie said:
This is the reason I never eat at Peter Luger’s restaurant in Brooklyn. They have the best meat in the U.S., but the waiters are nasty. I don’t believe you should pay good money to be treated shoddily, no matter how good the food is.

May I suggest you try Peter Luger's in Great Neck - the steaks are just as good and the service is infinitely better.

We were disappointed with Shulas as well.

We ate at Shula's in NYC (at the Westin), we didn't even get the football without asking (thank goodness). Our meal and service there was far superior to Shula's WDW (where we've dined three times).

I absolutely hate servers as described here and generally will complain afterward to a manager.
pirate:

Thanks for this reveiw. We've often wondered if it was just us or Shula's overall. We've eaten at the one in Key West and the one here in New Orleans and neither was "award winning" in any degree. The food and the service were both lacking. We were going to give WDW Shula's a try thinking it may have better standards, but alas I don't think that's the case.

I'll keep going to Morton's here in New Orleans and the Yachtsmen at WDW.

Thanks again!

Lori in the Quarter

My parents had the exact same experience at the Miami location. The only difference was that they were not given the 'football' menu, or any other menu. The waiter flat out refused to give them a menu telling them they had to order from the tray of raw meat. They had the same opinion as you - run, don't walk, in the opposite direction.

TheBeadPirate said:
Thanks for this reveiw. We've often wondered if it was just us or Shula's overall. We've eaten at the one in Key West and the one here in New Orleans and neither was "award winning" in any degree. The food and the service were both lacking. We were going to give WDW Shula's a try thinking it may have better standards, but alas I don't think that's the case.

I'll keep going to Morton's here in New Orleans and the Yachtsmen at WDW.

Thanks again!

Lori in the Quarter

After reading so many good things about Shula's here on the Dis, we were going to try it out here at home, now that we have one in Nola. Guess we can save the money & head over to Morton's! (I know this is really OT for the Dis, but have ya'll tried Besh's SH in Harrah's?)

We'll back in WDW in Jan. 07 & will definitely go back to Yachtsman's!

Sorry, brief interlude--Besh's is pretty good. We always sit with Mark at the bar and have dinner. Food is great (except once) and service is generally good, unless their slammed then it's a little spotty but very polite and apologetic.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread!

TheBeadPirate said:
Sorry, brief interlude--Besh's is pretty good. We always sit with Mark at the bar and have dinner. Food is great (except once) and service is generally good, unless their slammed then it's a little spotty but very polite and apologetic.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread!

Thanks so much for going OT, do we in Nola have a board like this to discuss rest. & foods.? I know we must but I haven't seen it. I'm a reall newbie at this. Thanks again, I think we're going to give Besh SH a try!

I went once - service reflected that of op - never again. Server dropped butter in my lap when crumbing the table, without even an apology never mind an offer to get my suit cleaned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter