• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sell me on Max Pass.....

Hydroguy - if we get PH tickets, and start off in DL, can I pull MaxPass RSR even tho I haven’t stepped foot in DCA yet - ie, my ticket has only been scanned at DL? That was always our downfall - everyone go thru DCA turnstyle while hubby ran to RSR, then we’d all traipse back to DL. That alone is worth the $10/pp if we can do that. And, we’re traveling with a family of 6, first-time DLers, long-time WdW vets, so we want to make sure they get to ride everything! My FiL lives 30 mins away from DL, so we’ll definitely be back ... just not during the summer, we try to stick to Feb & Sep to avoid the scorching heat!!!

My fam has been 17 times, we considered ourselves experts, but feeling like a newbie with MaxPass as we haven’t been since it launched.

Hydroguy - if we get PH tickets, and start off in DL, can I pull MaxPass RSR even tho I haven’t stepped foot in DCA yet - ie, my ticket has only been scanned at DL? That was always our downfall - everyone go thru DCA turnstyle while hubby ran to RSR, then we’d all traipse back to DL. That alone is worth the $10/pp if we can do that. And, we’re traveling with a family of 6, first-time DLers, long-time WdW vets, so we want to make sure they get to ride everything! My FiL lives 30 mins away from DL, so we’ll definitely be back ... just not during the summer, we try to stick to Feb & Sep to avoid the scorching heat!!!

My fam has been 17 times, we considered ourselves experts, but feeling like a newbie with MaxPass as we haven’t been since it launched.

Yes, see my PP with emphasis:
Reasons for getting MP...some of these points have been raised by others already. :)

4. It allows you to get FPs at the opposite park without have to walk over there to get the FP (that used to me, I was the FP runner)

We wouldn't visit without it now, and we don't mind walking to get FP. It just makes everything SO much more efficient, to the point we were kind of bored by the end of day 3 because we had been on everything so many times.

Thanks everyone! I got so busy I wasn't able to respond to you all, but this was really helpful and has really opened my eyes to the value of this system. I can definitely see it working for my DH and my son... and frankly, if my daughter is into thrill rides (which for some reason, I imagine she might be... she craves and seeks out a lot of vestibular stimulation... those with kids with autism will know what I mean), so this could be useful for all of us. Thanks again to you all for taking the time to respond back :) I really appreciate it.

I am not sure I really understand the value of Max pass....

Here is the situation... DD5 (severe autism), DS7, hubby and me (both 30 somethings). We are leaving in just over a week. We will be there July 16 -22. We plan on doing Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday as park days.

DS7 is at the age and height were he can do EVERYTHING (and this is basically his first trip, because he was 3 the last time we were there, and he doesn't remember anything at all. That's him in my profile pic, the cute little red head). DD5 is probably going to need breaks and some extra rest. I will look after her, while my hubby does all the fun stuff with DS.

So, I was thinking of getting Max Pass just for hubby and DS.....

Thoughts? It is worth it? Can someone please tell me exactly what Max Pass is all about and sell me on it's value?

Thanks!
Honestly, you don't have to have it, but as someone who needs a DAS myself, I love it.

Here is why, you can book a fastpass for the next attraction while waiting in line. Before MaxPass, we would often go and do 4 or 5 rides and a couple of shows before wearing out or the crowds got unmanageable for us.

With MaxPass, we have managed to do around 15 rides by lunch time and still have energy to keep going. Now, you might ask what the major difference is and honestly, it is a lack of backtracking.

Here is an example of a day at Disneyland:
Scan into the park, get a FP for Indiana Jones (yes, this can be done before the park opens, as soon as you scan your ticket in)
If you have a DAS, get a return time for Winnie the Pooh (usually not needed, but you never know)
Go ride Jungle Cruise, by the time you are done, it will be time for your FP to Indiana Jones. After you scan your ticket at the first scanner, get a FP for Haunted Mansion (if Pirates FP is up and running, get it for this instead)
When you get off Indy, if you have time, ride Pirates
By now it will be time for your Haunted Mansion FP, get a FP for Splash Mountain while in Line
Next ride Winnie the Pooh using your return time
Ride Splash Mountain, get a FP for Big Thunder while in Line
If you have a DAS, get a return time for Peter Pan (Fantasyland can be tricky, so you may need to adjust the order based on wait times)
Ride the Mark Twain/Columbia
Ride Big Thunder, get a FP for small world or Matterhorn while in line
Ride fantasyland rides using the DAS, but watch the return time for small world/Matterhorn
Get a FP for the other as soon as you use one (Although I recommend getting one for Roger Rabbits after small world)
Get a return time for Finding Nemo
Get a FP for Space Mountain
By now it is probably about lunch time, assuming you got in at rope drop, so have lunch (use mobile ordering to reduce wait times)
Ride Finding Nemo
Get a return time for Astro Obitor if you have a DAS
Now it should be about time to use your Space Mountain FP, get a FP for Star Tours while in line
Ride Star Tours, get a FP for Buzz while in line
Ride Astro Obitor
Ride Buzz, get a FP for whatever you want to do a second time
By now it should be about time for the second parade, which is always less crowded, find a good spot and enjoy

If that sounds like a lot to cram into a short time, that's because it is, but this works. I did skip Autopia and the Monorail, but those are easy to mix in and of course skip any attractions you aren't interested in doing. You can also do this in reverse order and many would recommend doing so, it really is up to you though.

I will say that I think you in particular would benefit greatly from MaxPass, as it really does cut down on the wait times and back and forth that happens normally. An additional benefit with MaxPass is you get digital downloads of all of the Photpass and on ride photos taken during the day. This can also reduce stress, as the children only need to pose for one camera, not two and can help a lot as well.

Of course this is all my personal opinion and from my personal experience with my personal needs.

Some other unadvertised benefits of MaxPass:
If someone cancels a FP, those with MaxPass have the opportunity to book it.

If your return time is a ways off, you only have to wait 1.5 hours before getting your next FP with MaxPass, vs. 2 hours with paper FP

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I got so busy I wasn't able to respond to you all, but this was really helpful and has really opened my eyes to the value of this system. I can definitely see it working for my DH and my son... and frankly, if my daughter is into thrill rides (which for some reason, I imagine she might be... she craves and seeks out a lot of vestibular stimulation... those with kids with autism will know what I mean), so this could be useful for all of us. Thanks again to you all for taking the time to respond back :) I really appreciate it.
I am a HUGE fan of Maxpass. We just ended a year of Disney (first and probably only time to have AP's) and I can't say enough good about it. One perk: If you got MP for all 4 of you and you and your daughter decide to skip a ride, your husband and son can ride it twice if they wanted. They would just need to ride twice within the hour and 20 minute window and they would need to scan your tickets the second time. (FP are stated to be good for one hour, but experience is that there is a 5 minute before and a 15 minute after grace period.)

I am a HUGE fan of Maxpass. We just ended a year of Disney (first and probably only time to have AP's) and I can't say enough good about it. One perk: If you got MP for all 4 of you and you and your daughter decide to skip a ride, your husband and son can ride it twice if they wanted. They would just need to ride twice within the hour and 20 minute window and they would need to scan your tickets the second time. (FP are stated to be good for one hour, but experience is that there is a 5 minute before and a 15 minute after grace period.)

ok, this is good to know. We were wondering if we got it for just my DH and my son, if DH decided to take our daughter back to the hotel, would I be able to use his fast passes... so the answer is yes? I could technically just keep his ticket and scan it instead?

The first few times we got MaxPass, I got it only on my ticket because most of the FP rides were ones our young kids would not be going on (this was before It's A Small World had FP). My wife and I would swap tickets so that she could use my FP to go on rides like RSR and Soarin. It was never a problem, but one time she saw CMs actually checking peoples' photos as they scanned their tickets.

I've never seen that since, and that was in the early days of the new MP, so it might not be a concern anymore.

ok, this is good to know. We were wondering if we got it for just my DH and my son, if DH decided to take our daughter back to the hotel, would I be able to use his fast passes... so the answer is yes? I could technically just keep his ticket and scan it instead?
Yes, you could keep his ticket and scan that, but that might cause a logistical problem if he wanted back in the parks and you had his ticket. I think the easiest way is to use your phone to enter the ride line when you want to use his FP so he can keep his actual ticket with him. I've never seen a CM check pictures or names on tickets. You just scan and the light turns green and you are good to go.

The first few times we got MaxPass, I got it only on my ticket because most of the FP rides were ones our young kids would not be going on (this was before It's A Small World had FP). My wife and I would swap tickets so that she could use my FP to go on rides like RSR and Soarin. It was never a problem, but one time she saw CMs actually checking peoples' photos as they scanned their tickets.

I've never seen that since, and that was in the early days of the new MP, so it might not be a concern anymore.

Ok, so the answer is more like "maybe"? lol.

We also got 2/4 maxpass and used disability access service for the rides everyone wanted to ride together.

You can use rider swap if your lo can’t go on all rides. It didn’t work for us because the kid with das (FASD-vestibular, etc.) was often too dysregulated after the ride to wait for us.

Kiddo lovvvved mater so much it was a screaming issue every time we got off. Lol

I am not sure I really understand the value of Max pass....

Here is the situation... DD5 (severe autism), DS7, hubby and me (both 30 somethings). We are leaving in just over a week. We will be there July 16 -22. We plan on doing Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday as park days.

DS7 is at the age and height were he can do EVERYTHING (and this is basically his first trip, because he was 3 the last time we were there, and he doesn't remember anything at all. That's him in my profile pic, the cute little red head). DD5 is probably going to need breaks and some extra rest. I will look after her, while my hubby does all the fun stuff with DS.

So, I was thinking of getting Max Pass just for hubby and DS.....

Thoughts? It is worth it? Can someone please tell me exactly what Max Pass is all about and sell me on it's value?

Thanks!
It made our trip amazing.

As long as you have a ticket associated with a fastpass, it doesn't matter in the least who uses the fastpass associated with the ticket. It could be a perfect stranger (though I wouldn't trust a perfect stranger to use my ticket, certainly!) Case in point: on Monday this week, we had four fastpasses for Incredicoaster in the morning. Well, my friend's daughter melted down about riding it, even though she'd ridden it happily the previous day. So we sat her down and let her stay near the new fountain and my friend, my DD, and I rode. Then we let my DD take our fourth FP and ride it again by herself. No problem whatsoever. We just had to make sure she knew which FP she had to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter