Sci-Fi Questions ?

KMW924

Earning My Ears
I have a couple of questions for Sci-Fi Theatre:

1. How long does the whole experience take - was able to get a 7:55 Dinner reservation. Will we make Fantasmic that night or plan that for another evening. Don't want to "Rush" but didn't know how quickly food was served etc...

2. Grandsons 10 and 11 - is it worth it? Looks fun but have never been.

3. Is menu/movies the same for lunch and dinner?

Any info appreciated. :)

1. It honestly depends on how busy it is. I've had very quick meals there and I've had others that feel like the longest dinner of my life. Generally I budget an hour and I'm done within that time frame. You may have to wait to be seated. If Fantasmic is at 8:30 that night, you're probably not going to make it. If there's a later show that night, you would make it to that one easily.

2. 10 and 11 are perfect ages for Sci-Fi. My 11 year old gets a real charge out of eating in a "car." The menu is perfect for that age as well- can't go wrong with a burger, fries, and a shake!

3. Menu and movie loop are the same for lunch and dinner.

I average about 90 mins for a table service meal, give or take.

However, I have a difficult time get my kids to leave the Sci-Fi! My one son loves the old Tom and Jerry cartoons they show. He always begs to linger and watch the loop one more time, while slowly sipping his milkshake.

Your boys are the perfect age! Have a wonderful time.

I have a couple of questions for Sci-Fi Theatre:

1. How long does the whole experience take - was able to get a 7:55 Dinner reservation. Will we make Fantasmic that night or plan that for another evening. Don't want to "Rush" but didn't know how quickly food was served etc...

2. Grandsons 10 and 11 - is it worth it? Looks fun but have never been.

3. Is menu/movies the same for lunch and dinner?

Any info appreciated. :)

When is your trip? Looks like the standard Fantasmic times are 9 & 10:30pm. You will be fine for the 10:30pm show for sure. Im usually done with the restaurant at the 60 min mark.

Ages 10 & 11 are PERFECT for this restaurant. They'll love it! My son was around 9yrs old when we first ate here. Its still one of his fave places to eat. Mine too. Its so fun! The food is basic burgers and fries, but its really good. And their oreo shakes are TO DIE FOR.

Yes menu is the same all day. Have fun!

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the movie loop is about 45 minutes. We usually catch just a couple clips a second time around, so I'd guess we're done in a little less than an hour.

1. What time is Fantasmic that night? 9pm? no way you will make it. 10pm you'll probably make it.
As with any TS restuarant you should expect 70-90 minutes although Sci-fi tends to be one of the more relaxed restuarants which means count on it taking longer rather than shorter.

2. Age and gender don't matter. If you're into it you're into it.
My family has been going since it opened and all ages and genders like it.

3. Its not a movie. Its just movie trailers, a couple of short cartoons, and commercials for technology. Basically what was shown prior to the feature film back in the day.
Its the same all day and yes menu for lunch and dinner is the same.

Last edited:

The grand kids will probably love it. We go every year. My son is 10 and it's one of his favorite places to eat in WDW. We all enjoy it.

Since you've never been...it's not a movie. It's a bunch of short clips with some cartoons, commercials and low budget Sci Fi movies from the 1950s. The film loop is about 40 minutes. The meal will take about 1 hour. The theater is Drive-In style and pretty dark. You dine in "cars" with a narrow counter for your food and drink. Two passengers to a row. Six diners per car. There are some standard tables near the rear of the theater.
Like others have said, some love it and some don't. Your grand kids are likely to enjoy it, without "getting" it. They have probably never seen a Drive-In theater. You may get a kick out of it, assuming you have been to a Drive-In.

We have always done lunch at Sci Fi. It takes us about 60 minutes or so. Where ever we are in the loop when we get there, we get back to that point and see a couple of clips over.

We love Sci-Fi. One of our favorites. The theming at this restaurant is amazing. We spend about an hour here (including ordering, eating our meal, and dessert).

Thank you so much for all the information! Definitely won't won't make the show after - I checked and it is 8:30 that night but I think the boys will enjoy it! We actually still have a drive-in by us so we go quite often in the summer.

Thank you so much for all the information! Definitely won't won't make the show after - I checked and it is 8:30 that night but I think the boys will enjoy it! We actually still have a drive-in by us so we go quite often in the summer.

We still take our kids to the drive-in as well!
You may have some luck moving the reservation to be earlier as well. I've found the key to a successful trip is picking and choosing- we've been to Fantasmic, the show hasn't changed, and my two kiddos have not been to Sci-Fi so that was my priority. Have fun!

We love Sci-Fi and it's a "must do" on each of our trips! It's so much fun and the theming is super cool! You will all love it!

Since you've never been...it's not a movie. It's a bunch of short clips with some cartoons, commercials and low budget Sci Fi movies from the 1950s. The film loop is about 40 minutes. The meal will take about 1 hour. The theater is Drive-In style and pretty dark. You dine in "cars" with a narrow counter for your food and drink. Two passengers to a row. Six diners per car. There are some standard tables near the rear of the theater.
Like others have said, some love it and some don't. Your grand kids are likely to enjoy it, without "getting" it. They have probably never seen a Drive-In theater. You may get a kick out of it, assuming you have been to a Drive-In.

No joke! I swear it felt darker than usual this past February. I needed to use the flashlight on my phone to read the menu!

I love the turkey sandwich and cucumber salad there! Anyway, you can keep checking for an earlier ADR and then maybe you can make F! On my trip in May I was surprised that I was able to revise several of our ADRs to better times. Things are always opening up and changing.

I just got a dinner reservation at Sci Fi, have never been there before. This trip is just husband and I. Question, are parties of two seated with others? If so how close are the seats??

I just got a dinner reservation at Sci Fi, have never been there before. This trip is just husband and I. Question, are parties of two seated with others? If so how close are the seats??

Depending on how busy it is, it is possible that you will have “hitchhikers” (another party) seated in your car. Seating is set up as though you are sitting in a car (2 or 3 booth-style seats per car, 2 diners per seat, everyone is facing forward). Because you’re not facing the other diners, it’s pretty easy to ignore for me.
DH and I have never had a party added to ours when we go as a party of 2 but I have heard of it happening if it’s especially busy.

You can call and note on your reservation that you want to be seated alone as a party of 2 (probably not even necessary but it’s cheap insurance if having others seated that close will bother you).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter