Saying goodbye

boogienights

Mouseketeer
After our last family vacay to US and WDW in October 2022 (following a 3 year pandemic induced pause), I knew we wouldn't be back until 2025 at the earliest. I've been following the news and was looking forward to new experiences opening up. However, seeing how prices just keep skyrocketing, we have decided not to return and so we bid a fond farewell to Orlando. I'll continue to pop into the forums from time to time and watch some YouTube vlogs to satisfy the itch lol. Continued happy travels to all 😊.

I get ya. I just bought an annual pass with the Target 20% off promo, and don't plan on activating it for at least another year. There's just not that much drawing me back to justify the prices. We've been using our DVC points at Aulani and, to a lesser extent, at Villas at Grand Californian.

We feel the same way. We haven't been to the parks since 2016 and are planning a resorts only trip splurge (POR) in March for our 35th anniversary with the current discount promo. We can't afford tickets to the parks and the hotel for 10 nights is going to cost us $3000 US. I keep going back and forth on it because with our exchange rate the cost is just insane. We may still cancel, but if we go, it will definitely be our last trip. 😔

Years ago I was lucky enough to have purchased 10-day, non-expiry park tickets that I'm still using during our trips. If not for those, I would likely not have been able to visit the theme parks on our last trip.

As others have mentioned, fortunately there is much else to do on Disney and around Orlando that it still makes a trip enjoyable without theme parks and is somewhat more affordable. If you want to stay on Disney property, renting DVC points is much cheaper than paying rack rates. If you use them to get a 1 or 2 bedroom villa, use of the full kitchen will allow you to save on meals.

Most of us have reached the same conclusion at one point. Everything changed for us when the kids got older and our Disney trips became "parents only" using points for 2 flights, value resorts for sleeping and the sharing of counter service meals or eating kids meals. We get the same excitement, even on a budget!

We all have our ups and downs. We also travel to other places around the world. We find that everywhere is expensive now. But with right planning and budgeting, not worring about doing everything you see on youtube or tik, you can always have an amazing trip anywhere. Its the ones your with that make it magical.
We have all seen the prices at Disney jump and see alot, but I try to compare to nights out in my home town.
If I want to go to a hockey game, min ticket price is just north of $100 per person, add in parking, food, $12 beers(not for me, dont need it that much). Just to go to a movie with the wife is almost $50 now.
So we enjoy our travel, that we do min eat outs at home, watch movies and sports at home, use the flipp app and buy in bulk. All the little things to make up for our yearly splurge wherever we travel.
Take a few years off, recharge, look for deals, then maybe come back to WDW. But enjoy whatever you do.

We went in August and found it had definitely not been as much fun as it used to be. Epcot used to be our favorite but it’s looking old and tired. Souvenirs are outrageous. The constant planning and competition for ride times, having to check times and run to things was chaotic. We hadn’t been since 2018 and I don’t think we’d go back for a long time.

Our past few trips have been to DL and were more enjoyable, it’s size is so much more manageable and because of its location there’s so many more options for hotels and food.

The planning element for rides was there even back in the paper fastpass days. I agree that the online booking magnifiies the competitive element.
I'm glad my kids are older. If we had to plan a first-time trip for a family of 5, ensuring we got meet certain characters, I'm sure I would share the same sentiment as the OP.

@boogienights we are on the same page, so sad isn't it! We are booked for the first week of December. Staying offsite in a rental house. We are squeezing the max in for the 5 bedroom house with family and friends. Our share towards to house rental runs us about $85USD a night for our share which these days is a deal I guess lol.

We have been to DW many times, and this might be our first time we don't visit a Disney park!
My daughters love thrill rides and Harry Potter so we jumped at the promotion for Universal Orlando, buy 3 days get 2 free. So we will be camped out at Universal most days, but have some other non-universal/non-Disney day trips planned.

Just looking at biting the bullet and go to Hollywood studios for one day when we are there...but not sure it's going to happen. one day for myself, my wife and two daughters, 700USD!!!! Not sure if we will go.

Sadly after a dozen trips to Orlando since 2010 (and always Disney focused), this will probably be our last one to Orlando for a long time.

We will try to make the most of it, but the costs are just through the roof on everything with no end in sight. Plus the level of service and perks have gone way downhill.

Happy Trails all

We are going to DLR next summer and have decided to spend a day at Universal Hollywood. One day at Universal for 4 people with the Express pass is $1400 USD. 5 days at DLR with Genie+ every day is $2200 USD for 4 (recent sale at Undercover Tourist). Seems like a bargain to me. My daughter wanted to go to a concert recently and the tickets were "demand pricing". $460 CAD for a 2 hour concert. I'll take Disney, every time.

We are going to DLR next summer and have decided to spend a day at Universal Hollywood. One day at Universal for 4 people with the Express pass is $1400 USD. 5 days at DLR with Genie+ every day is $2200 USD for 4 (recent sale at Undercover Tourist). Seems like a bargain to me. My daughter wanted to go to a concert recently and the tickets were "demand pricing". $460 CAD for a 2 hour concert. I'll take Disney, every time.
We went last March. It's a one day park for sure. We were told about the VIP tours. Would never do it again without it.
Front of line for all rides once with guide, VIP seating for the Waterworld show, more in depth backlot tour and they let you off to wonder around the lot. Unlimited Expresspass for when you are not with the guide, Plus a free breakfast and great lunch. We had a 9:30 tour but if you can't get an early tour you can still pick up your Expresspass, eat, go out and ride then come back and start your tour. The new Mario World was slammed but with the guide we were ushered through the land and 80% of the line.
I thought it was a bit pricey but once the day was done it was worth every penny.

We are going down in March. Stupid money but we've avoided World the last bunch of times, Universal was more cost effective for us and honestly more fun. Stay at Royal and get your express and go do what you want, when you want. Eating too, no reservations six month out.
Trying Disney out for the new to us stuff, Tron, Guardians on both coasts are not even the same but I hear Star Wars is a carbon copy. Got a feeling this will be it for a long while for Disney, just can't justify the cost anymore. 12 times in 20 years. We used to leave a Disney vacation plotting how to get back, now between the Genie and restaurant reservations keeping you on the phone all the time then the shear cost the fun has been sucked out of the product for us.

Years ago I was lucky enough to have purchased 10-day, non-expiry park tickets that I'm still using during our trips. If not for those, I would likely not have been able to visit the theme parks on our last trip.

As others have mentioned, fortunately there is much else to do on Disney and around Orlando that it still makes a trip enjoyable without theme parks and is somewhat more affordable. If you want to stay on Disney property, renting DVC points is much cheaper than paying rack rates. If you use them to get a 1 or 2 bedroom villa, use of the full kitchen will allow you to save on meals.
I have one more of the 10 day non expiry tickets with the Canadian discount.

I miss those non-expiry tickets! I also recall booking non-expiry 7-day Universal tickets for $75 back in ~ 2010.

I have one more of the 10 day non expiry tickets with the Canadian discount.
We just used up our last non-exp tickets this past March. Like others here, we're done paying stellar prices for what is essentially a stripped down product. Disney has always been about the cash grab but post-covid all pretense has been stripped away along with the few perks that were left. They simply want as much profit per guest with the least effort now. Period.

We went in August and found it had definitely not been as much fun as it used to be. Epcot used to be our favorite but it’s looking old and tired. Souvenirs are outrageous. The constant planning and competition for ride times, having to check times and run to things was chaotic. We hadn’t been since 2018 and I don’t think we’d go back for a long time.

Our past few trips have been to DL and were more enjoyable, it’s size is so much more manageable and because of its location there’s so many more options for hotels and food.
And Disneyland is not as fun anymore either. I used to love that it was so much less "planned", but now they've taken that away from Disneyland too. Ugg.

Completely understand. My trip a few weeks ago wasn't great. Forget magical. After many years absence it was so so. I had a lot of not so great experiences. Now I struggle to justify the cost. I could easily take a good cruise for less. I'm in the wait and see boat for next year. I booked the bounce back offer but really don't know if I'll be going. Like the OP, I love the Canada subforum and will pop in and out when I can to learn. I contribute what I can. But even after enjoying WDW for decades, I always learn more from my fellow posters than I contribute. I wish the OP well with future travel wherever that may be. WDW is just one experience. There are so many other wonderful travel experiences to enjoy.

We feel the same way. We haven't been to the parks since 2016 and are planning a resorts only trip splurge (POR) in March for our 35th anniversary with the current discount promo. We can't afford tickets to the parks and the hotel for 10 nights is going to cost us $3000 US. I keep going back and forth on it because with our exchange rate the cost is just insane. We may still cancel, but if we go, it will definitely be our last trip. 😔
Update: We have officially cancelled. No more trips to Disney for us. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter