Rude CMs?

While I still think most CMs are great, I have experienced this problem with a "need to correct" particularly with the crowd control CMs during parades and shows. They do not give clear instructions, sometimes waving their light wands in such a way that makes no sense, but then when you go the wrong way, they are very quick to pull the chain so to speak. It's like, "oh, you don't know what to do in this chaos?" They either seem annoyed by you or a little gleeful that they "got ya." I know a lot of the locals are used to it and know what to do, but those of us who don't get there as often could at least use clear and polite directions.

I actually feel very sorry for the crowd control CMs. They have the hardest job at Disneyland. I don't think Disney has given them the tools to do their job efficiently. They just give them lighted wands and their voices. Why can't they have signs like they do for the Halloween party? This way instead of screaming orders (which even trying to listen to them half the time you can't hear them) they can just hold up signs - this way only, this way to tomorrow land - this way to Adventure land, parade viewing, exit the park this way. This way they can actually answer questions when they get confused guests - which is all the time!

I've only reported one rude cast member in all the years I've been going and that has been since 1973. I have ran into more rude guest who think that they are entitled and that they don't need to follow the rules. I have stepped in a couple of times at guests screamng at cast members over stupid stuff like the cup has all the park names on it not just disneyland.

I can't think of any Disneyland cast members I have reported, but I did report one horrible bus driver at WDW - I mean it was so bad that the head of the transportation department called me twice to offer me something. I am usually the one who after witnessing something will tell the cast member that he/she handled it well and usually try to tell a manager or another cast member how well the cast member handled something.

There's not a place anywhere that is going to be perfect all the time. The expectations of Disney experiences crack me up.
Some staff have a bad day and it shows. Others love they job and are living their best life and it shows.
Maybe I'm just lucky. I have never encountered anyone working at any Disney property that warranted me wanting to report them or write paragraphs about the experience. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but what's the expectation really? Compensation? An apology? Karma?

Not everything there is magical. The French fries are not magical, in fact they are usually cold. Much of the food is mediocre at best but people assign so much to it because it's there. Having said that, the corn dog is out of this world!
Same with the staff but most are awesome, some are mediocre at best.

I think that's pretty extreme. People pass by CMs all day trying to get here and there without CMs always knowing what's happening. It's very possible that he might've just had an experience with a Guest that was not so pleasant or that he's been having a rough day. Also, so you know and for those of you asking a lot of CMs are more likely to bend to the rule of their Leaders and Coordinators. Many times have I not agreed with a silly rule that's placed just to make Guests lives more difficult but if I dont enforce it I get yelled at -I wouldnt be surprised if a Leader had come up to him and told him to start checking Guests for why they just suddenly walk past the registers. I doubt he really cares but someone probably does and now he's getting the **** for it.

Also consider that "telling Guest Services" sounds like a great idea but it's actually a very real and cruel threat. Disney hires and fires people on a whim and for some people this is all they have. He could easily be given a reprimand (which is very serious) or even terminated. People get termed for the dumbest of things -I know someone that her "last straw" was yawning on stage.

We're often underappreciated or underpaid by Disney and most of us are working long hours and extremely exhausted. I know a CP that was scheduled for a 12 hour shift and she doesnt even get paid as much as full or part time. It's more difficult than people understand to be bright eyed and engaging for hours at a time. To give every single Guest the same interaction of joyful, magical pleasantry as possible. We get tired, sick, we're human.

For as irritating as situations with CMs can be try and keep that in mind.
Also, I apologize on his behalf for his short temper with you and potentially otherwise. Hopefully your day was as wonderful as can be otherwise.

I really appreciate hearing your perspective! Thank you for sharing. It doesn't seem like an easy job at all, we have only been once (to the World) and all of the CM's were awesome. No one can possibly be perfect 100% of the time. I've only ever reported an employee once, and it was at Ikea and it was only because the employee had a racist exchange with a family from India and I saw the whole thing. In that case I do hope she was fired because it was totally outrageous. But I personally wouldn't spend precious vacation time reporting a CM for being a bit snippy, no matter how much I pay for my vacation.

Last edited:
Time to build a bridge and get over it.

After spending the last twenty years as an attorney, one universal truth is that there’s three sides to every story - yours, mine, and the truth - which ultimately falls somewhere in between.

We should all consider spending a little less time and energy obsessing and nitpicking over perceived slights and little discourtesies - I think we’d all be much happier as a result.

Best. Post. Ever.

In 32+ years of trips to Disneyland, I've only come across one or two rude CMs, usually those forced to do crowd control. I worked crowd control at another park for a brief time and I can honestly say it's a horrible job because some people seem to think they're entitled and don't have to follow the rules. It's horrible having to direct traffic and deal with Disneyland level crowds on a regular basis.

I have, however, come across some potentially inappropriate conversations...like right after the measles outbreak a couple of years ago, I overheard a couple of CMs working in Carsland talking about being quarantined for exposure and how they had only just been allowed back. It's a great breakroom conversation, but probably not something the guests are going to feel great hearing.

One thing I've noticed over the years is the more you go, the more likely you will encounter problems with CM. When I lived in southern California sometimes I would go to the parks multiple times per month and I had a number of adverse encounters. Now I may only go once every other month and I have far less negative interactions with CM. More often than not the bad encounters were with with younger CM. And I agree with many posters before me in that Disneyland operations sets their CM up for bad experiences with guests due to the schizophrenic job Disneyland does with crowd control during fireworks, parades and especially Fantasmic. After all these years Disneyland operations still can't figure crowd control out during these regular events in the park. God only knows what a cluster Star Wars will be with Disney's crowd control with that incoming mess.

Is this
Lately, however, I've encountered a few less-than-pleasant DL CMs. For the most part, I tend to ignore them. For example, many of the Buzz CMs know me by name or at least recognize my face and often greet me warmly. There's one, however, who I see all the time -- probably the one I see most frequently -- and that one person never, ever acknowledges me. Even when I look him/her straight in the face and smile.
the same CM from last year
There's one, however, -- I won't name him or her here -- that I always find to be grumpy and kind of a jerk after seeing him/her regularly over at least the past two years. This CM has seen me countless times (easily more than 100) -- sometimes several times in a day -- and not once has he/she said hello, smiled or acknowledged me in any way.
?or is there more than one CM who doesn't greet you the way you expect? Is there a reason you don't speak to this CM? Instead of just smiling at them?

Stepping in here with a reminder to keep the comments respectful. Let's play nice!
There is a big difference between reporting a CM incident out of spite, hoping to get the CM fired, and reporting an incident out of concern or desire for improvement. Judging someone else's motivation is tricky business. Let's give each other some grace here.
Now, back to the discussion...

Last edited:
My daddy was a very friendly person and always greeted those he encountered. If his first attempt at saying "Good Morning" or whatever failed, he would speak just a bit louder and be sure to direct his greeting to that person. Worked every time. The other person always answered. Some folks are just socially awkward or intimidated by people they do not know well and will not interact unless encouraged to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter