Rude CMs?

Oh, if only the CMs knew how important they are to the Disneyland experience! A dirty bathroom is soon forgotten, but a poor human contact -- always remembered!

Last time I took my son and his wife to DL, it was summer and most of the CMs were wearing sunglasses. Just conversationally, my son said to a CM, "It looks like you guys are all wearing Ray-Bans. Does DL give you guys matching sunglasses?" The CM responded, "No. We have to buy our own, and we can't afford Ray-Bans," and with that she just walked away.

My son and DIL still talk about how crowded that trip was and about how the CMs are cranky. Note that the story has morphed in the retelling to "CMs" when really it was just the one girl. I don't think son and DIL have been back since.

I don't know why I'm sharing this story except as a shout-out to the probably overworked CMs at DL -- you're super important and you make DL what it is!

I have noticed guest in general are a lot more rude and entitled.

This right here would be my guess as to why more CMs are barky or seem a bit rude at times. Like gets like and, even though you personally may not have done anything to warrant it, maybe one of the recent guests was a total ghoul and that has affected their mood for the time being. They *are* human, after all.

I've been going to DLR approximately yearly since 2011 and have yet to have a bad experience with a CM. The more frequently you are in the parks, the more likely you will have a sub-par experience at some point.

Maybe it has to do with the relatively recent massive increase in DCP interns at the helm? I would suppose that, at the very least, the younger crew doesn't have the same company loyalty and rich experiences that older longer term employees would have. I believe the saying, "All magic comes with a price," is appropriate here

While I still think most CMs are great, I have experienced this problem with a "need to correct" particularly with the crowd control CMs during parades and shows. They do not give clear instructions, sometimes waving their light wands in such a way that makes no sense, but then when you go the wrong way, they are very quick to pull the chain so to speak. It's like, "oh, you don't know what to do in this chaos?" They either seem annoyed by you or a little gleeful that they "got ya." I know a lot of the locals are used to it and know what to do, but those of us who don't get there as often could at least use clear and polite directions.

Ha! You just described the culture in my workplace.

Maybe it has to do with the relatively recent massive increase in DCP interns at the helm? I would suppose that, at the very least, the younger crew doesn't have the same company loyalty and rich experiences that older longer term employees would have. I believe the saying, "All magic comes with a price," is appropriate here
That's an interesting point. As I understand it, SW:GE was staffed with people who already have experience working at DLR, so all those people need to be replaced at their normal positions throughout the park with new hires. No idea if that has any effect, but it's an interesting theory.

That's an interesting point. As I understand it, SW:GE was staffed with people who already have experience working at DLR, so all those people need to be replaced at their normal positions throughout the park with new hires. No idea if that has any effect, but it's an interesting theory.

Anecdotally speaking, the veteran CM's I've interacted with in the past have all had a "I work here because I love it here" mentality in common. Even if the young DCP employees love Disney, they are generally temporary and the job is just a step forward into the direction du jour.

Anecdotally speaking, the veteran CM's I've interacted with in the past have all had a "I work here because I love it here" mentality in common. Even if the young DCP employees love Disney, they are generally temporary and the job is just a step forward into the direction du jour.
So... I guess maybe we're all in for an amazing CM experience when visiting SW:GE?

I have only complained once about a CM and it was on our last trip 2 years ago and he was a cashier at the pizza portm he was getting nasty with a woman whis english was not good and didn't understand what an annual pass was. He kept asking her do you have an annual pass for the discount when it was our turn I looked him straight in the eye and said I don't have one befire he even asked and he got nasty with me I took his name and before we left stopped at city hall and filled out a complaint and then left an awesome review for our waiter at the WOC dessert party who saw us the next day remembered our name gave a hug and chatted with us for a few minutes.

Actually, I’ve just recalled another less-than-stellar CM interaction. A few years ago I had a FP for Space Mountain. I was a few minutes late, as I pointed out to the CM at the entrance. She replied in a dismissive tone “Next time be on time.” I reported her without hesitation. Fortunately, I don’t believe I’ve seen her in the past year or so.

I think I remember more significantly above average experiences than below average, but I will say on our last trip my then 2 almost 3 year old son was right at 40". Like, RIGHT at. Which meant on every ride, multiple times, we had to go through the whole deal of measuring and telling him to stand up straight, without tippy toes, etc etc, until he finally did it right and they let us on. I mean...he's 2, he's excited. ANYWAY. Most were patient and very sweet to an excited little boy, but one Guardians CM was absolutely not. He had already been on GOTG 3x at this point, but yet again we had to measure and he kept hunching over because he didn't want to hit his head, and then standing up on his toes, back and forth back and forth and she was getting super frustrated and was kind of rude about it - like we were trying to get him in when he wasn't 40" - and finally just stormed off without another word. Her supervisor (?) came over to measure, was super kind, and within about 10 seconds saw that yes he was 40" and we all got on. I mean - I know that's got to be annoying, but to be rude to a toddler and storm off without even saying something like "I'm going to have my supervisor try" was just weird. Like - you work at disneyland.

Unrelated, it would be AWESOME if you could be measured once (or even once per ride) and call it good, because it got to be super annoying by like our 15th RSR ride, but oh well.

I think that's pretty extreme. People pass by CMs all day trying to get here and there without CMs always knowing what's happening. It's very possible that he might've just had an experience with a Guest that was not so pleasant or that he's been having a rough day. Also, so you know and for those of you asking a lot of CMs are more likely to bend to the rule of their Leaders and Coordinators. Many times have I not agreed with a silly rule that's placed just to make Guests lives more difficult but if I dont enforce it I get yelled at -I wouldnt be surprised if a Leader had come up to him and told him to start checking Guests for why they just suddenly walk past the registers. I doubt he really cares but someone probably does and now he's getting the **** for it.

Also consider that "telling Guest Services" sounds like a great idea but it's actually a very real and cruel threat. Disney hires and fires people on a whim and for some people this is all they have. He could easily be given a reprimand (which is very serious) or even terminated. People get termed for the dumbest of things -I know someone that her "last straw" was yawning on stage.

We're often underappreciated or underpaid by Disney and most of us are working long hours and extremely exhausted. I know a CP that was scheduled for a 12 hour shift and she doesnt even get paid as much as full or part time. It's more difficult than people understand to be bright eyed and engaging for hours at a time. To give every single Guest the same interaction of joyful, magical pleasantry as possible. We get tired, sick, we're human.

For as irritating as situations with CMs can be try and keep that in mind.
Also, I apologize on his behalf for his short temper with you and potentially otherwise. Hopefully your day was as wonderful as can be otherwise.

Also consider that "telling Guest Services" sounds like a great idea but it's actually a very real and cruel threat. Disney hires and fires people on a whim and for some people this is all they have. He could easily be given a reprimand (which is very serious) or even terminated. People get termed for the dumbest of things...

It’s not a threat. It’s a response to poor service. If Disney is as sensitive to customer service issues as you say, it sounds like all the more reason for CMs to be courteous to guests. Moreover, if they’d decided to term him for this, it would have been because he has of history of poor performance and perhaps, then, that’s the correct choice. I’m flexible and understanding. But not to the point that I’m willing to tolerate nonsense. Yes, I understand that people have bad days. I’ve had them myself. You learn not to allow thise things to influence your behavior. If you can’t, there are others who can.

We're often underappreciated or underpaid by Disney and most of us are working long hours and extremely exhausted. I know a CP that was scheduled for a 12 hour shift and she doesnt even get paid as much as full or part time. It's more difficult than people understand to be bright eyed and engaging for hours at a time. To give every single Guest the same interaction of joyful, magical pleasantry as possible. We get tired, sick, we're human.

And, yet...it IS possible! Nearly 40 vacations to WDW are my proof! The CMs (some we see year after year) continuing to making magic, understand that they are "on stage"( regardless of what's going on in their personal life). People spend the big bucks for a WDW vacation because they want to enter the bubble of being away from problems. Most CMs in WDW seem to get that. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference with the CMs in DL when we go for our first visit in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I am sure I have had less than great experiences with CM’s but I can’t remember any. Most have been awesome.

Would I complain if I had a bad experience? Depends I guess, but I am pretty tolerant.

Actually, I’ve just recalled another less-than-stellar CM interaction. A few years ago I had a FP for Space Mountain. I was a few minutes late, as I pointed out to the CM at the entrance. She replied in a dismissive tone “Next time be on time.” I reported her without hesitation. Fortunately, I don’t believe I’ve seen her in the past year or so.
This to me is part of the problem. You were late, she pointed it out (as I'm sure she is suppose to) and you reported her. Not meaning to be rude but you seem to have a trigger happy report button. I wouldn't have batted an eye at this. Could she have said it nicer, probably. Should she have been reported, not in a million years.

I would definitely report a rude CM, just like I would tell DLR about a CM who made our day magical.
Agreed. In fact, I believe I’ve reported more excellent CM experiences than unpleasant ones. Many of the CMs go out of their way to make the Disney experience a great one and it’s always appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter