RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know… I’m a huge Disney planner. Been a vacation club member for 20 years, and come at least once a year. However most people don’t have that luxury and their trip is often a one-time occasion with much of their savings used.

Thus I do feel they should be able to make a well-strategized plan using the tools on the WDW site and app. They I shouldn’t have to Google other sites and then “guess“ what time parks are going to be opening a month from now, not to mention the following day. Regardless of whether there’s an “amazing new attraction.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the VQ for ROTR is a good and fair plan. However I don’t think it was fair to probably 95% of the guests here this week not to give folks a heads up on the 3-hour early opening on multiple days.
I do agree.

Having to wait to ride is different than having no chance at all.

Sure it's different, but very few people would be that much happier to see a closed stand by line, or a so long it might as well be closed stand by line walking in after EMH ends. If the boarding groups fill during EMH just imagine how many people could potentially be standing in that stand by line instead of virtually holding their places.

Perhaps they should fill 20 BGs at opening...whenever that is. Then 20 more a couple of hours later, then 20 more a couple of hours after that and so on throughout the day. Then everyone would at least have a shot.

This is the first trackless ride in the US. Soon WDW will have three trackless rides with Ratatouille and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. Each ride tells it’s own story.

I of course haven’t ridden yet but I would say this is the top ride in the US if not the world in terms of just tech. It’s up to each person to decide whether it’s compelling to them.

I also don’t know how one could declare a ride not yet open more compelling. Beauty and the Beast will surely be fantastic in Tokyo however it’s not simply because of AAs. RotR has three A1000 AAs which are of the level that will be in Beauty and the Beast.
I don't think you are correct. I believe both Dinosaur (AK) & Indiana Jones (DL) are both trackless rides...

I dont agree with any of this, total the way Disney set this up. It was originally designed to have boarding groups to even enter the land and then once u entered, u had a 4hr window to experience everything in the land and then u had to leave and the next group entered. This was the whole point of the early reservations for Oga's, Droid and the light Sabres. Now they want to change it and leave the land itself open but only make ROTR boarding groups. So, for people like me that bought into their original plan, now have rsvps for Oga's and Droid at 8pm at night are now forced to show up at HS at 6am or rope drop or whatever the time is just to enter the park to try and get a boarding group for ROR and then forced to stay there all freakn day and night. If I would've known that ROR was going to require it's own boarding group and that u had to actually enter the park to even join a group, I would've never booked the other attractions for 8pm. I literally have to choose from either being at the park from 6am to 10pm or cancel my Oga's and Droid rsvp and hope I can get a ROR boarding group or decide to just skip ROR and keep my reservations with Oga and droid. Remember now, Oga's and Droid are paid reservations so they have to be canceled 24hr prior to not be charged so I dont have the luxury of waiting til the day of to see if I get a boarding group to ROR or not. I'm am beyond frustrated rite now.
They haven't used boarding groups to enter the land since day one of SWGE opening in WDW & Disney didn't say you had to have a reservation in the land to ride ROTR, or that having a reservation would get you on the new ride. How would getting there close to park closing for reservations be better than arriving early to get in line? It's 1000% a good thing that you have to be in the park to join a boarding group, by the way. When SWGE opened people joined boarding groups sitting at home, preventing people who were actually there from joining one.
If they held everyone until rope drop time the same thing would have still happened for the people arriving closer to park opening. The crowd would have been there either way. The crowd would have been in the park and would have eaten up the boarding passes either way. Not letting people in early just causes people not doing SWG problems.

They don’t publicly blast it out because that would defeat the purpose and cause more people to arrive even earlier.

Disney routinely opens before official hours. It’s almost always because of rope drop crowds. there is plenty of precedent for this. The boarding groups are new but it makes everything smoother for most.
This. Yesterday the line had nearly reached bag check when they let us in. I got the impression that it was because of the size of the line, not a planned thing. I spent most of Wednesday in DHS asking CMs what time the park would open and everyone said 8am. I've done rope drop at other parks and been let in as early as 30 minutes before the scheduled time so it makes sense that once the crowd got significantly large it was better to let everyone into the park than to have this mass of people jostling to stay in "their spot" in line. Either there's 15000 people at the front gate and then rushing towards SWGE (think of the pushing too, as the 2am folks & 7:59am folks fight to get to the front of the crowd), or there's 15000 lined up at the front of SWGE before 8am (same problem), or they let you in & give you a virtual spot in line. Someone asked earlier if there was any pushing/running and I think a virtual queue for the line itself was the best way to avoid that. There was no need to fight, you already had your spot in line on your phone. I didn't even realize the other rides were open until a CM told me! I figured I had 2.5 hours of PokemonGo time to spend in the park before 8am rolled around and the groups started boarding.

I know they can't please everyone, but in terms of guest safety and smoothness of the day, I think it went very very well. This ride is going to be around for a looooooooong time and the lines will go down. Until then, I hope they continue using the virtual queue, because there's nothing better than not actually having to stand in line!

I do agree.

It seems like the response is that regardless of whether the park physically opened 3 hours early or not, the result would have been exactly the same. Those who were camped out that early got on the ride. I think opening the park early simply allowed for crowd control, but didn't impact the amount of people who got on.

So what happens if you have paid reservations for Droid say 6:30pm and then Oga's at 8pm and then they schedule ur boarding pass for the same time. I know u got 2hr window but say ur 2hr window is from 6-8. Now what

So if I’m understanding correctly it’s only really possible to go on ROTR once per day because you can only go on it once in your BG and you can only have one BG?

So what happens if you have paid reservations for Droid say 6:30pm and then Oga's at 8pm and then they schedule ur boarding pass for the same time. I know u got 2hr window but say ur 2hr window is from 6-8. Now what

I think someone upthread said 2 hours is a guideline not a hard rule. Obviously it would be wise to confirm that with CMs if that becomes an issue where someone can't return 2 hours after their group has been called.

How long does Droid build take though? I'd probably just get on right in the middle of the two.

They also would have been angry if they got there to find an entire days worth of people in the stand by line, which is what the VQ being closed basically symbolizes.
But folks who got a second BG as soon as they checked in count twice for VQ, but would not be in a physical line twice. So that's not quite accurate.

Sayhello

So if I’m understanding correctly it’s only really possible to go on ROTR once per day because you can only go on it once in your BG and you can only have one BG?

No. It's like FP+, once you scan in you can join again depending on availability. So the earlier you get your first, the higher the chance you can get another.

And who knows how long this lasts, the VQ may end up being irrelevant to the vast majority of us reading this.

But folks who got a second BG as soon as they checked in count twice for VQ, but would not be in a physical line twice. So that's not quite accurate.

Sayhello

Yes it is. That means they rode once already during EMH and then grabbed another BG before EMH ended. It symbolizes them going through the stand by line once at rope drop, and then jumping in it again to be in front of offsite guests coming in.

I don't think you are correct. I believe both Dinosaur (AK) & Indiana Jones (DL) are both trackless rides...
Tower of Terror has a trackless portion too. Maybe this is the first totally/technically trackless ride, since Dinosaur is an Enhanced Motion Vehicle? Though Luigi's is trackless so does that mean alien swirling saucers is too?

Yes it is. That means they rode once already during EMH and then grabbed another BG before EMH ended. It symbolizes them going through the stand by line once at rope drop, and then jumping in it again to be in front of offsite guests coming in.
No, because you can get another BG as soon as you scan in. You can't re-enter the line until you've finished the whole ride and exited.

Sayhello

Tower of Terror has a trackless portion too. Maybe this is the first totally/technically trackless ride, since Dinosaur is an Enhanced Motion Vehicle? Though Luigi's is trackless so does that mean alien swirling saucers is too?
Tower of Terror isn't truly trackless either though. It still runs on a guide. Things like Rise, Rat, Pooh, and Mystic Manor run on an LPS system. There are sensors in the ground and in the vehicle telling it where to go.

Luigis is trackless but is more considered a flat ride. Swirling Saucers is like Mater's so no its not trackless. It runs on turntables essentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter