Rogue One catch all thread

See, that "I loved TFA and this is worse" is a huge red flag for how good this really isn't...no one wants to cross the mouse, since the mouse is where all the movie money has been the last few years, so you still give it a thumb's up in the most non-committal way...

I'm with you there...

...but as I stated above...I think there is more going on here.

If this movie is truly for the fans...we'all be talking about this forever. Because i submit that nobody has dared make a Star Wars movie that wasn't solely about extracting money from the fans since Jedi...and even that doesn't fit because gary Kurtz left over that..,

I think JJ Abrams and bob iger control incredible amounts of Hollywood money...and I don't think Gareth Edwards does or ever will...just s theory.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that there's a lot of skiddish on this...do you think disney really allowed saving private ryan to be filmed?

I'm genuinely curious on people's opinions.

I think they had to...apparently, the rumor is that the 1st cut was poorly acted by some of the leads, so if you can't do character work (b/c you are too wooden - that was the big complaint), you proceed to do action work and this action was gonna lead to poor outcomes b/c it had to...it's not like the rebels "win" going into ANH...

I think they had to...apparently, the rumor is that the 1st cut was poorly acted by some of the leads, so if you can't do character work (b/c you are too wooden - that was the big complaint), you proceed to do action work and this action was gonna lead to poor outcomes b/c it had to...it's not like the rebels "win" going into ANH...

It's not like the first 3 movies were known for great acting...

But it still shocks me that for 20 years
Nobody in Hollywood can replicate that level of acting for a Star Wars movie...what is so tough?

Part of it is directors and screenwriters worrying about "genre" too much. They are overconcernd with pacing...which the last 4 movies all made some
Mistakes in and I fear this one as well.

I know they original idea was to base this thing like a 1930s serial...but not to the detriment. They always feel "hurried"

The best movie was?
Empire strikes back...

Did it feel hurried? Not at all.

Neither did Jedi...

And you know why that's a problem now? Because the money makers limit these to 2:10 to squeeze in an extra showing a day...no joke.

Are you saying these films are too short now? They can't filter their ideas into a shorter running time just so an extra showing is available?

The original trilogy times are shorter than the four that followed it as well as RO.
Maybe I'm not understanding your point about being hurried, since the newer films are longer.

Are you saying these films are too short now? They can't filter their ideas into a shorter running time just so an extra showing is available?

The original trilogy times are shorter than the four that followed it as well as RO.
Maybe I'm not understanding your point about being hurried, since the newer films are longer.

I think the ideas and cgi lead too more to film...and cutting these down - as even lucas complained he did a great deal - to a predetermined run time is hurting the narrative.

If peter Jackson had been concerned with run time...the lord of the rings movies would have been awful...but luckily they had to "let it play".

I think the prequels tried to much...then had to fit "parameters" for the business side...and it shows.

Movie reviews are about as useful as Amazon or Yelp reviews. There seems to always be an agenda.
If you are a star wars fan, you'll go see it. Disney knows that. The question is will you see it more than once in theaters? Will you bring a non star wars fan? Will you buy the DVD/blu-ray/digital download when it comes out? I only trust the reviews of a friend, one where I can ask questions.
The only bummer for me is that it isn't likely suitable to bring my 7 year old son. I'll have to preview it first. That is likely lost revenue on the kid side of things, but maybe made up in other demographics.

Movie reviews are about as useful as Amazon or Yelp reviews. There seems to always be an agenda.
If you are a star wars fan, you'll go see it. Disney knows that. The question is will you see it more than once in theaters? Will you bring a non star wars fan? Will you buy the DVD/blu-ray/digital download when it comes out? I only trust the reviews of a friend, one where I can ask questions.
The only bummer for me is that it isn't likely suitable to bring my 7 year old son. I'll have to preview it first. That is likely lost revenue on the kid side of things, but maybe made up in other demographics.
See I don't think this one is being marketed at the 10 and under crowd. This is definitely for the big Star Wars fans.

See I don't think this one is being marketed at the 10 and under crowd. This is definitely for the big Star Wars fans.
I don't disagree.
That being said, you lose that revenue. You hope it makes it more tolerable for others that might spend more money. This a bit of a departure from the last several movies in the franchise.

And that might be the model they have dreamed up...

A "heavier" vein to mine and a "lighter" one to feed the merch beast

So in star wars themes, this one uses the dark side of the force where the others used the light side. ;)

Something like that...

Or maybe some allow you to put yourself into the turmoil...as others it's all happy and rainbows...

Where have I seen a divide on that before?

So how am I going to convince my wife to go to this movie with me, if there is no child to accompany us? She is not a war movie fan nor a sci fi fan. Give me some hope people.

So how am I going to convince my wife to go to this movie with me, if there is no child to accompany us? She is not a war movie fan nor a sci fi fan. Give me some hope people.

A real Star Wars fan would go by himself and cast any and all other considerations aside.

It's like Christmas at Graceland for us ;)

A real Star Wars fan would go by himself and cast any and all other considerations aside.

It's like Christmas at Graceland for us ;)
I'm married and I have a racecar still. I'm all out of get of jail free cards.
IF I admit to going by myself to her......I will NEVER ever hear the end of it.
This is one of those no win situations. Sort of like Luke finding out he kissed his own sister.

You aren't...like LOL, I'd say you probably have to find a friend or go solo...or wait for video...

Make the Disney princess argument. All Disney princesses have to meet three criteria:
1. Be mostly human who:,
2a. is Born royal, or
2b. Marries royal, or
2c . Perform an "act of heroism," and
3. Not be in a Disney film that flops.

These films are full of royals, royal consorts, and acts of heroism. Yes, she can make the technical argument that it isn't an animated film. Just point out that this is "a" detail, yet ultimately unimportant. It's worked for me on a couple of occasions.

I'm married and I have a racecar still. I'm all out of get of jail free cards.
IF I admit to going by myself to her......I will NEVER ever hear the end of it.
This is one of those no win situations. Sort of like Luke finding out he kissed his own sister.

Or plan B:
Deny till you die, brother. ;-)

So I went to tomatoes and read the synops of all 81 reviews to date...look at who, where, and for whom they are writing...

...and I have to say I'm encouraged by the positives AND the complaints.

A lot of arthouse "too cool for school" types and a surprising number of Brits on the negative reviews...

"Too much fan service and nothing original story wise"...

HELLO?!? It's a prequel with the most known follow up story in motion picture history...welcome to the party, geniuses...

And as far as fan service...my argument (I've had it several times
over the last few weeks) is that they have failed miserably on this....

It's what we all need and want.

Examples?

Gave us obi wan but made him a two bit ninja

Gave us yoda but made him a clueless buffoon to the situations

Gave us anakin/darth but made his downfall utterly laughable/devoid of memory (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

Last year?

Gave us Han Solo and made him sorta cool...but kinda an aging deadbeat dad

Gave us Princess Leia with marbles in her mouth with no fire whatsoever (that's why we liked her)

Gave us the falcon but did almost nothing cool with it.

And focused the entire story about deathstar 3.0 and a map...like the hardy boys...

So yeah...I'm skeptical...but still after 4 takes just looking for one moment of a non-Reagan era Star Wars to give me something that sticks to the rib meat.

Gonna be a long two days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter