Restaurant etiquette

Bonnie

DIS Veteran
I will probably sound stupid in this post so I apologise in advance. :)

I am not much of a connoisseur when it comes to restaurants and things, and tend to stick to the "safe" options when eating out in the UK - think along the lines of Pizza Hut and pub lunches! On my first two trips to DLP we ate at Pizzeria Bella Notte, Annette's Diner, and Pizza Planet. That was it. But this time, now that quite I'm a bit older, I'd like to try something different and be a bit more adventurous.

I quite like the sound of: Auberge de Cendrillion, Imaginations, and Blue Lagoon. If possible we would really like to go to at least one of those places during our stay. The trouble is, I have no idea how to "behave" in restaurants like that. Are they posh? Are you allowed to wear trainers and jeans?

Also, what is the situation with tipping? I have heard of a few people getting into bother when it comes to tipping at DLP and I can imagine I would end up being one of those people if I'm not prepared beforehand.

One more question: is it possible to go to a sit-down restaurant and JUST have a dessert? I'm not sure how much the main dishes or starters at Auberge de Cendrillon appeal to my girlfriend but we do fancy that chocolate slipper. Is it okay to just have a dessert or is that viewed as rude?

Sorry for the stupid questions. :blush:

Hi Bonnie

No question is stupid :) I promise!

I've eaten in Auberge & Blue Lagoon and both were pretty relaxed with nice atmosphere, great food but not posh. Poeple were in park going gear, and there were children so definitely nothing there to make you feel out of place I promise :)

As far as tipping goes we used to leave about 5% of the bill. We leave 15% - to 20% when in WDW but we were told not to leave as much as this in DLRP as in France tipping is not such a big thing. I'm sure others will give their view on this though.

I have never done just the "dessert thing" but I've heard others have :)

Hope that helps a little :)

Cheers

Karen

I think those restaurant are great choices. :flower:

At the restaurants in the park, everyone is wearing the same gear they wear in the park (including jeans, trainers, t-shirts). At Inventions, it's almost all the same. Some people are not quite as casual at later times, which I think is probably because at these hours, people are more likely to have gone back to their hotel rooms to freshen up after a day at the park, especially if they're staying at the Disneyland Hotel. But jeans are more than fine at Inventions. :) Also, Inventions is a character meal, so it's a fun atmosphere rather than a posh one. :)

As for tipping, I follow the same principles as I do elsewhere in France. In Paris, tipping is a nice touch, but by no means necessary, and not expected. When I pay in cash, I usually round up the total a bit (like if it's 23.50 euro, I'll leave 25 euro). I do not tip at DLP when I pay with a credit card or charge to my resort. There's no way to add the tip to the credit card, and it seems a bit strange, and kind of condescending in a way, to leave a few euro coins on the table, especially at nicer restaurants. We ate at Auberge de Cendrillon and at California Grill twice each, and we had the same servers each time. The service was just as good and friendly the second time.

In the US, tipping is expected (to a ridiculous degree, IMO, but that's another story...), so servers expect 15-20%. But in the US, there's a space to leave a tip with a credit card. It's basically a requirement, unless you had horrendous service.

I doubt it'll be a problem to just order dessert at the DLP restaurants. Perhaps if you go at a time when it's not ridiculously crowded it might be better. The chocolate slipper at Auberge is fantastic! But I'm also a fan of the regular food there too (it's my favorite restaurant at Disneyland Park).

MinnieYC said:
I think those restaurant are great choices. :flower:

I do not tip at DLP when I pay with a credit card or charge to my resort. There's no way to add the tip to the credit card, and it seems a bit strange, and kind of condescending in a way, to leave a few euro coins on the table, especially at nicer restaurants.

It is not strange to leave money at the table at DLRP.
You dont HAVE to tip cause it is a nice additional for the waiter. If the waiter is really good we either round up the bill...or leave 2-5€ at the table after paying with a card.

All the restaurants you mentioned are great. Sometimes there is a problem with the service at the Blue Lagoon.
Inventions is great as the Auberge is. Invetions is a character dinner. We had sometimes 1 starter, 1 maincourse and 1 dessert to share with no problem.

Greets Renate :wizard:

I've found most restaurants are informal, remember your on holiday. :)
Of course if you want to dress up to make it more special that is your choice.

With 3 young children comfort and enjoyment are the priorities :)

While tipping in Europe is not quite the same as USA I would always leave an amount that adds to a couple of £ for good service.

Reid

Well that's good and reassuring, then. :) Thanks. I hope we'll be able to go to the Auberge de Cendrillon and just have the chocolate slipper. :blush:

Bonnie said:
Well that's good and reassuring, then. :) Thanks. I hope we'll be able to go to the Auberge de Cendrillon and just have the chocolate slipper. :blush:

Bonnie, like Karen said, there is no such thing as a stupid question on these boards!:goodvibes

We also plan to go to the Auberge de Cendrillon so please let us know what you think of the chocolate slipper. DD age 8 is planning on wearing her Cinderella dress there and posing in front of the pumpkin carriage!:sunny: DD's age 13 and 10 will probably disown her!:rotfl:

Bonnie, the chocolate slipper is a great choice. One of the nicest desserts I have ever eaten!

f480b85f.jpg

Elaine - I know what you mean about the Pumpkin Carriage! Fortunately it was too cold for Cinderella outfits that day but DD (then 4) insisted on wearing her Minnie dress :rolleyes:

f480b859.jpg

I agree with everything that has been said, but if you plan on eating at Inventions after around 8.00pm, I think one might feel a little bit out of place in theme park attire and it may be worth changing. Those are great restaurant choices, though :)

Karen, your DD looks so sweet in her Minnie dress.::MinnieMo

And did you have to post that picture??? I have not done very well with my weightloss this week (zilch in fact), and now I am drooling over that picture of one of the most delectable looking desserts I have ever seen while DH is sat here stuffing his face with chocolate hobnobs!!!:rotfl2:

Don't have any worries about feeling out of place in one of the restaurants - they see all sorts!! :teeth: Take the time we took our DD, then two and a half, into the Blue Lagoon, where she proceeded to have a rather big tantrum while we were waiting to be seated. Luckily it was very quiet, but nobody there batted an eyelid! Nor did they when we started moving the furniture around to make a "banana bed" for her with a couple of their rather nice seats!!!!

diberry said:
Congratulations Elaine on becoming a CM!!! Well done :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: !!!!

Thanks, Diana, now I have a new title perhaps I should have a new avator too!!!:rotfl2:

It looks yummy! Is it chocolate mousse inside? And white chocolate? What is the red stuff at the side, and what is that fruity-looking thing? *Know nothing of posh food!*

Sorry Elaine ;) (Well, not that sorry as I've just spent forty minutes in the gym which is my first real exercise for - er years!)

Bonnie, it is indeed a solid white choc slipper. There is yummy chocolate mousse inside the slipper and the red stuff is a raspberry and (something?) coulis - pureed raspberry and the white stuff (custardy/cream if memory serves) put through it in a Bakewell Tart effect (do you know what I mean?)

It is at least partly for effect as it looks so nice but it does make a tasty contrast with the sweetness of the slipper.

ETA I think the fruit was a kumquat but I believe I have also seen it served with a slice of star fruit :)

The slipper is pretty much as Miffy said, but I think I remember mine having cake inside with the mousse over it. We had a chocolate-covered kumquat on the side. I don't think it's a coincidence that it seems like everyone who orders it winds up taking photos of it!

If you decide to go to Inventions, save room for dessert there too! I couldn't even begin to try everything they had!

Yes Minnie is absolutely right! I forgot the cake - sorry!

Is that raspberry on the side? Yummy. I can't wait to try it. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter