• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resale DVC benefits

sleepymouse

DIS Veteran
I tried searching the forums but am having a hard time figuring out what incidental benefits are available to those who bought DVC resale. For example, do you get discounts at restaurants? Are you allowed to visit any DVC lounges?

I tried searching the forums but am having a hard time figuring out what incidental benefits are available to those who bought DVC resale. For example, do you get discounts at restaurants? Are you allowed to visit any DVC lounges?
there are no membership extras or perks for resale members who bought after 2019. the only thing you have is the ability to exchange your points with Interval International.

Only incidental benefit of resale is pool hopping...which is currently still officially suspended.

Resale buyers are not entitled to anything else, including visiting Epcot lounge or TOTWL. No discounts on food or merchandise.

You must own 150 direct points...or be grandfathered into the program via resale or lower direct points.

there are no membership extras or perks for resale members who bought after 2019. the only thing you have is the ability to exchange your points with Interval International.

The perks went away in 2016...2019 is when the restriction of where one can use the points came into play

Only incidental benefit of resale is pool hopping...which is currently still officially suspended.

Resale buyers are not entitled to anything else, including visiting Epcot lounge or TOTWL. No discounts on food or merchandise.

You must own 150 direct points...or be grandfathered into the program via resale or lower direct points.
Do you not get access to Extended Evening Hours as a result of staying in your resale DVC accommodation?

Yes! Though this benefit has nothing to do with DVC. Anyone, including cash guests are eligible for this benefit for staying in a deluxe resort
That's a bit of a rabbit hole because many of the DVC Direct Blue Card benefits can be obtained through much cheaper methods, like a Disney Rewards Card, without spending multiple thousands of dollars. It would be interesting to see what Blue Card benefits can ONLY be obtained by paying multi-thousand dollars.

No discounts on food or merchandise.

This is a bit of a silly question, but are there limits on which members can purchase DVC related merchandise? Do they ever release an item (excluding tickets) that only full members can buy?

This is a bit of a silly question, but are there limits on which members can purchase DVC related merchandise? Do they ever release an item (excluding tickets) that only full members can buy?

I get my card checked every time I buy DVC merchandise but i think its just for the discount. If you show even a DVC-ND card, i think you are allowed to buy the merch without the discount.

There have been a few times when they may have had something, but for the most part, no. Anyone can buy DVC merchandise.

Do you not get access to Extended Evening Hours as a result of staying in your resale DVC accommodation?

Yes, but that is not a DVC related benefit. That is for any guest who stays in deluxe or deluxe villas, whether they own DVC, whether they rent DVC, or they are a cash guest staying DVC or at the WDW deluxe resorts.

That's a bit of a rabbit hole because many of the DVC Direct Blue Card benefits can be obtained through much cheaper methods, like a Disney Rewards Card, without spending multiple thousands of dollars. It would be interesting to see what Blue Card benefits can ONLY be obtained by paying multi-thousand dollars.
Access to Epcot Loung and TOTWL require you to be eligible. Ride previews and Moonlight magic require you to be eligible and the food/merchandise discounts for DVC members require you to be eligible.

When/if they come back on sale, you are eligible for the Sorcerer Pass AP...which is less expensive than the Incredipass, assuming you don't need that pass for Thanksgiving/late December visits.

Now, of course, these are not the only ways to receive discounts...but I have found that my DVC ones are the best of all of them.

There is another reason to buy direct, which has nothing to do with membership extras, and that is the ability to use points at RIV and future resorts.

Granted, all this to say that plenty of people find these benefits worth the extra and plenty do not.

I bought resale last year knowing there were no perks left other than using my contract. So I’ve been surprised to access many great discounts, like Savor the Savannah and other enchanted extras in the system:
BCB714E3-07CC-4122-AF37-7FBCDE529BA0.jpeg90E5EC4D-A4B7-4FA5-8711-40304DECC51A.jpeg
And show my DVC account to get 20% off in the parks.

It’s not supposed to work this way but as seen above, Disney’s own system is applying DVC discount to resale.

The short version is: You get exactly what you'd get if you'd rented the room, for cash, Directly from Disney, with one exception. A point-based stay has slightly less-frequent housekeeping than a cash stay, though the difference has become less well-defined.

In principle, you don't get anything extra beyond that. In practice, YMMV.

You get the magazine with all the legal announcements, LOL. And maybe the pink "welcome home" at the turnstile when you go to a park, but that didn't work for me last time.

Some of the older stuff, like the way TOTW used to be structured, would have included resale. They got rid of that.

They also can't exclude resale (or renters) from things like parking and laundry and the DVD library, if that still exists, and pool hopping, if that ever exists again. Those are part of the room booking, not the DVC membership.

I bought resale last year knowing there were no perks left other than using my contract. So I’ve been surprised to access many great discounts, like Savor the Savannah and other enchanted extras in the system:
View attachment 744893View attachment 744894
And show my DVC account to get 20% off in the parks.

It’s not supposed to work this way but as seen above, Disney’s own system is applying DVC discount to resale.
Yup - the same thing happened to us. We went on Wild Africa Trek and Disney's own system applied the discount even though we are resale only. Not suprising considering Disney's IT. I'm sure if they tried to implement some sort of correction it would affect not only resale but direct members too. I'm guessing they don't want to kick that hornet's nest, Also, any mobile purchases of merchandise have the DVC discount automatically applied too. Disney's IT will always be an issue for them and I don't think they'll ever be in a hurry to fix it.

Yup - the same thing happened to us. We went on Wild Africa Trek and Disney's own system applied the discount even though we are resale only. Not suprising considering Disney's IT. I'm sure if they tried to implement some sort of correction it would affect not only resale but direct members too. I'm guessing they don't want to kick that hornet's nest, Also, any mobile purchases of merchandise have the DVC discount automatically applied too. Disney's IT will always be an issue for them and I don't think they'll ever be in a hurry to fix it.
And for us that discount is often the difference between spending more money or not, especially when $100s of dollars.

And for us that discount is often the difference between spending more money or not, especially when $100s of dollars.
Exactly! We probably spent more money which is another reason why Disney IT isn't going to tackle this. All money is good. I don't think we would have gone on Wild Africa Trek without the discount. It was a total suprise when I looked to book it and the total had the discount automatically applied.

buuuut if you save $10k or more you do have more money to be spent. Depending on how you travel, getting 150 points direct to get "discounts" is not going to work out financially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter