Renting Out DVC Points Was Not Easy

Just a curious question......Isn't the going rate for extra points from Member services $15 a point for up to 24 one time use points? I'm a small points owner....almost always in borrow mode (didn't want to be saddled with a bigger contract) and have done point transfers from other members in the past when family wanted DVC or we wanted an extra trip not in our points budget. I ask because we were considering a trip next year and rather deal with the going rate ($14.50 and up) and the difficulty for the renter and rentee on both ends....I only need like 20 points to make it happen.
Snoop is right. The price recently increased to $17/pt ($15.11 plus $1.89 tax) for OTUPs. Something else to keep in mind: OPTUPs cannot be used until the 7-month booking window whereas any transferred points can be used at their home resort at 11 months. Transferred points can be banked but OTUPs expire at the end of your UY.

Agree with all this. I was looking to raise cash quickly to begin paying for a trip this Summer, so I wanted to rent my points now and not wait until late Winter. If I waited a few months (and was close to my June use year anniversary), I know my points would have gone quicker. I know because I've put up points for rent in April before and they were gone in 3 days. And I know because I see that so many requests now are for the next few months. Also, if I waited with David's, I am sure demand would have increased too for these same reasons.

To me the demand for BC and BW was so much more than I expected. And I did get many people willing to pay $14.50/per point for BC/BW between mid June and October, but this was outside my window. I explained the rules, checked availability (through RAT) and guided them to BC and BW owners. But as I said in my original post, no requests for other resorts in the 7-11 month window. (I did have requests for other resorts within the next 5 months, but had no points to use).
but don't you have to still do the the reservation, magical express, dining???

I'm going to need to rent out a February reservation at the BCV when the time comes but I feel like $13pp is not worth it. Peak time and a 1 bedroom. I'm trying to navigate ways to rent that would offer me a higher rental price. I don't want to wait until 30 days before. I'll use them myself if I can not rent.

i know its risky but has anyone opted for making a reservation with your home resort points and renting out the reservation?
Say for Marathon weekend? then renting that out? Im looking at a 200 pt VGF contract. we would not use 200 in most years and then i think wed have enough left over for a weekend. I was thinking it could be a little easier to do a reservation and rent that. Am i crazy?
I have a reservation for February vacation at the BCV that I'm thinking I might rent instead and I could be flexible with the dates. But I'm definitely feeling apprehensive

but don't you have to still do the the reservation, magical express, dining???
If you rent your points out thru a broker, then yes, they expect you to handle those things. If you are doing it privately, you can dictate the terms which include letting the renter know that you will not add the dining plan or that you will not contact DME after a certain date.

I noticed that same thing that last time I posted points to rent online....it was just harder than it used to be and took longer

I rented some BLT points out on disboards last year. There were only 65 points, and I stated in the listing that these points can't be transferred and there were no more available. I got requests for transfers. I got several requests for 3-5 months out, none of which had availability. I also got people who needed 150 or more points asking me to borrow. After about 3 weeks, I got a buyer who was booking 11 months out, needed less than 65 points, and was happy to rent my points.

When I rented 320 points out, I went through David's. With that quantity of points, I wouldn't want to deal with making a pile of reservations that disboards would have generated. David's rented 315 of my points out in one contract.

You had a lot of points, when I look for additional points (reunions, grand villas etc) I look for transfer points, rather than rental. I prefer that to having someone else manage my reservation. I look for those that are closest to how many points I need, even if I have to go over and I buy the whole lots, makes it easier on all parties. I see those posted like yours, higher points for rent and you become the travel agent, too many cats to herd! But you got it done and now on to planning your non Disney adventure!

You had a lot of points, when I look for additional points (reunions, grand villas etc) I look for transfer points, rather than rental. I prefer that to having someone else manage my reservation. I look for those that are closest to how many points I need, even if I have to go over and I buy the whole lots, makes it easier on all parties. I see those posted like yours, higher points for rent and you become the travel agent, too many cats to herd! But you got it done and now on to planning your non Disney adventure!
When I needed extra points a few years ago, I also went the transfer route - which worked out nicely, as I was able to cancel the reservation that used the transferred points (which I then banked).

BTW, my initial post was from last November, but this thread was resurrected. I'm now 3 weeks away from the non Disney adventure (to Alaska). Looking forward to it :)

BTW, my initial post was from last November, but this thread was resurrected. I'm now 3 weeks away from the non Disney adventure (to Alaska). Looking forward to it :)
Fabulous, Alaska is in my bucket list! Enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter