• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting Out DVC Points Was Not Easy

marx

DVC Home: AKV
First, I have to say the the 4 people I rented/transferred to in the last week were all wonderful to work with. BUT, I had my points up on the boards here for 17 days and it felt much longer and was a lot of work. So many people expressed interest - but didn't follow through. What was frustrating was the one person who I booked for - then never heard back from, and the person who wanted a Transfer and strung me out for three days (in the meantime I lost another likely transfer).

I did rent out in the past - the last time in April 2016 - and with a use year of June I think renting out closer to the use year month makes it much easier.

I own AKV, had no 2017 points and 330 June 2018 points. So, when I first started to rent out 3 weeks ago, I could only rent out at AKV - then on November 1st I did change my rental post to reflect that I could rent out to other resorts at 7 months out, but all reservations had to be on June 1st or later. (I only had one valid request for BC for early June a couple of days ago, but it was unavailable. Everything I eventually booked was for AKV within the 11 month window).

Some observations. I realize that even though I explained about not being able to book before June 1st, and only being able to book 7 months out for resorts other than AKV, I got MANY requests that did not follow the rules. I am not saying this to knock anyone making the requests - DVC rules can be difficult to understand. I mention this for another reason... ALL the requests (there were many) that I got for the 11 month window were for BC or BW. I did not get any for Poly, BLT, etc - meaning that BW and BC seem to be in a lot more demand than anywhere else.

Observation two. Most people looking for rooms were looking to book in the short term - within the next 5 months or so. I got requests for AKV and Poly as well as BC and BW in these cases. (I did not want to borrow points from 2018 to book).

I tried to rent out at $15/point for about a week with little action (and no bookings). It was only after I changed my ask to $14.50 that the points went.

I also had my points posted on David's since early October, but didn't get any offers from them either. When I sent them an email explaining that I sold my points independently since I wasn't getting offers from them, I was told that AKV wasn't getting as many bookings in the 7 to 11 month window as it had in the past.

I think many who have rented out will say 17 days is good for 330 points. But, the last time I rented took 3 days for two contracts, so I wasn't expecting this :) I must have gone through 50 requests this time.

First, I have to say the the 4 people I rented/transferred to in the last week were all wonderful to work with. BUT, I had my points up on the boards here for 17 days and it felt much longer and was a lot of work. So many people expressed interest - but didn't follow through. What was frustrating was the one person who I booked for - then never heard back from, and the person who wanted a Transfer and strung me out for three days (in the meantime I lost another likely transfer).

I did rent out in the past - the last time in April 2016 - and with a use year of June I think renting out closer to the use year month makes it much easier.

I own AKV, had no 2017 points and 330 June 2018 points. So, when I first started to rent out 3 weeks ago, I could only rent out at AKV - then on November 1st I did change my rental post to reflect that I could rent out to other resorts at 7 months out, but all reservations had to be on June 1st or later. (I only had one valid request for BC for early June a couple of days ago, but it was unavailable. Everything I eventually booked was for AKV within the 11 month window).

Some observations. I realize that even though I explained about not being able to book before June 1st, and only being able to book 7 months out for resorts other than AKV, I got MANY requests that did not follow the rules. I am not saying this to knock anyone making the requests - DVC rules can be difficult to understand. I mention this for another reason... ALL the requests (there were many) that I got for the 11 month window were for BC or BW. I did not get any for Poly, BLT, etc - meaning that BW and BC seem to be in a lot more demand than anywhere else.

Observation two. Most people looking for rooms were looking to book in the short term - within the next 5 months or so. I got requests for AKV and Poly as well as BC and BW in these cases. (I did not want to borrow points from 2018 to book).

I tried to rent out at $15/point for about a week with little action (and no bookings). It was only after I changed my ask to $14.50 that the points went.

I also had my points posted on David's since early October, but didn't get any offers from them either. When I sent them an email explaining that I sold my points independently since I wasn't getting offers from them, I was told that AKV wasn't getting as many bookings in the 7 to 11 month window as it had in the past.

I think many who have rented out will say 17 days is good for 330 points. But, the last time I rented took 3 days for two contracts, so I wasn't expecting this :) I must have gone through 50 requests this time.

I agree with the response above- also that people just ask about resorts within the next 5 months (oftentimes for popular times where there were no availability).

I’ve rented out both my bwv abs blt points, and agree the bwv points go much faster and always during f&w. I think it’s very resort specific.

For $14.50 per point, you could have gone thru one of the rental agencies and saved yourself a lot of the headaches. I understand your frustration and that's why I choose to either rent to friends or an agency when no one that I know has a trip planned.

I had a confirmed reservation for the weekend following Thanksgiving that I had posted on another board (it was too early to post it on the disboards). I had so many people who didn't want to pay my asking price. One person, who claimed to be an owner, offered me only $10/point for the reservation. Hello...the weekend was completely sold out and nothing was available, which was why I wanted to rent it out rather than cancel! I ended up listing it with one of the rental agencies and it was booked within a couple of days. I was paid the going rate for a premium rental and didn't have to deal with low-ball offers or field requests to change the dates or resort.

I think that a lot of renters want BWV because of the low number of points required to book a standard view studio and for the convenience during F&W. They want BCV because of SAB. Poly, VGF and BLT are highly desired for MK access but not by the bargain hunters (and a majority of potential renters are motivated by the idea of saving money). It took a lot longer to rent out my VGF points than it took to rent my BWV points and the people who rented them are coming from a long distance to stay there. I imagine that these are once-in-a-lifetime trips.

I know that I could command more $/pt. if I were to rent on my own but having an agency deal with all of the messy details is worth it to me.

For $14.50 per point, you could have gone thru one of the rental agencies and saved yourself a lot of the headaches. I understand your frustration and that's why I choose to either rent to friends or an agency when no one that I know has a trip planned.

I had a confirmed reservation for the weekend following Thanksgiving that I had posted on another board (it was too early to post it on the disboards). I had so many people who didn't want to pay my asking price. One person, who claimed to be an owner, offered me only $10/point for the reservation. Hello...the weekend was completely sold out and nothing was available, which was why I wanted to rent it out rather than cancel! I ended up listing it with one of the rental agencies and it was booked within a couple of days. I was paid the going rate for a premium rental and didn't have to deal with low-ball offers or field requests to change the dates or resort.

I think that a lot of renters want BWV because of the low number of points required to book a standard view studio and for the convenience during F&W. They want BCV because of SAB. Poly, VGF and BLT are highly desired for MK access but not by the bargain hunters (and a majority of potential renters are motivated by the idea of saving money). It took a lot longer to rent out my VGF points than it took to rent my BWV points and the people who rented them are coming from a long distance to stay there. I imagine that these are once-in-a-lifetime trips.

I know that I could command more $/pt. if I were to rent on my own but having an agency deal with all of the messy details is worth it to me.
OP stated that she listed with agency and got no bites.

We have not really rented, just to friends and family who come looking. But we now have a lot of points and we likely will try renting sometime soon. I like to read these threads to learn about it.

OP stated that she listed with agency and got no bites.

We have not really rented, just to friends and family who come looking. But we now have a lot of points and we likely will try renting sometime soon. I like to read these threads to learn about it.
The OP would have gotten the points rented eventually. All of the agencies are clamoring for owners with available points. All it takes is the right renter at the right time. A big factor in the time it took to rent their points was that nothing could be booked for anything earlier than the beginning of their 2018 UY because they did not want to borrow points into their 2017 UY for a renter. That eliminated a lot of renters who wanted to book in the first 5 months of 2018. An agency would not have even presented those renters to the OP. Meanwhile the OP ended up fielding questions from individuals who did not understand that anything prior to June 1, 2018 was not going to happen.

In the long run, the OP got the same amount of $ as they would have gotten from one of the agencies and close to the amount that they would have gotten from one of the others. IMO, it's worth waiting for an agency to find your renter if you're willing to settle for what they're willing to pay you.

Last edited:

I agree with the response above- also that people just ask about resorts within the next 5 months (oftentimes for popular times where there were no availability).

This is why I use David’s. A few emails and done. The AKL points will go quick sub 7 months, just wait on until that time.

The OP would have gotten the points rented eventually. All of the agencies are clamoring for owners with available points. All it takes is the right renter at the right time. A big factor in the time it took to rent their points was that nothing could be booked for anything earlier than the beginning of their 2018 UY because they did not want to borrow points into their 2017 UY for a renter. That eliminated a lot of renters who wanted to book in the first 5 months of 2018.

Agree with all this. I was looking to raise cash quickly to begin paying for a trip this Summer, so I wanted to rent my points now and not wait until late Winter. If I waited a few months (and was close to my June use year anniversary), I know my points would have gone quicker. I know because I've put up points for rent in April before and they were gone in 3 days. And I know because I see that so many requests now are for the next few months. Also, if I waited with David's, I am sure demand would have increased too for these same reasons.

I’ve rented out both my bwv abs blt points, and agree the bwv points go much faster and always during f&w. I think it’s very resort specific.
I think that a lot of renters want BWV because of the low number of points required to book a standard view studio and for the convenience during F&W. They want BCV because of SAB. Poly, VGF and BLT are highly desired for MK access but not by the bargain hunters (and a majority of potential renters are motivated by the idea of saving money).

To me the demand for BC and BW was so much more than I expected. And I did get many people willing to pay $14.50/per point for BC/BW between mid June and October, but this was outside my window. I explained the rules, checked availability (through RAT) and guided them to BC and BW owners. But as I said in my original post, no requests for other resorts in the 7-11 month window. (I did have requests for other resorts within the next 5 months, but had no points to use).

I used David's. It only took about 3 weeks to rent my points, which were mostly OKW. After i looked at how the rent/trade boards worked, with all the back and forth, I decided to just go with a service. Much better use of my time.

We have been lucky and have had the same people renting from us for 4-5 years now. Havent had to look for renters.
Good luck to all.

My recent experience was similar. With 150 VB points to rent, the number of requests for a room in December (2017!) or a 7 nights in a BLT 2-bedroom were staggering. Most people couldn't figure out how to calculate the number of points needed never mind grasping the 11 - 7 rule.

I did end up with 2 great buyers and 1 great seller. The goal was to rent my points and buy 11 month points to secure BCV for October - when it was all said and done I saved $217 versus going with David's. Not sure it was worth it but $217 is $217.

With 150 VB points to rent, the number of requests for a room in December (2017!) or a 7 nights in a BLT 2-bedroom were staggering. Most people couldn't figure out how to calculate the number of points needed never mind grasping the 11 - 7 rule.

Yep. That's where agencies earn their fee. They deal with all the "I have heard about renting and it will save me lots of money plz can I rent VGF studio for 2 months from now" questions, and also make the finality of the transaction clear (or, if it's not clear enough, deal with the fallout later).

i know its risky but has anyone opted for making a reservation with your home resort points and renting out the reservation?
Say for Marathon weekend? then renting that out? Im looking at a 200 pt VGF contract. we would not use 200 in most years and then i think wed have enough left over for a weekend. I was thinking it could be a little easier to do a reservation and rent that. Am i crazy?

The only time I rented points was to someone at work. I was planning to go skiing that year and he was planning to take his extended family to Disney. I made reservations for a 2 bedroom at OKW, he paid me, I paid for my ski trip.

I don't think I would free comfortable renting to a stranger.

i know its risky but has anyone opted for making a reservation with your home resort points and renting out the reservation?
Say for Marathon weekend? then renting that out? Im looking at a 200 pt VGF contract. we would not use 200 in most years and then i think wed have enough left over for a weekend. I was thinking it could be a little easier to do a reservation and rent that. Am i crazy?
What you're talking about is referred to as a "spec" reservation. Some people who do a lot of renting dabble in it. Listing spec reservations on the disboards rent/trade board is discouraged. You cannot post a confirmed reservation on the rent/trade board unless it starts in less than 30 days. At that point, if you were to not get any takers, your points would go into holding if you canceled. There are other boards that permit members to post spec reservations and the agencies will accept confirmed reservations if you want to work with one of them.

What you're talking about is referred to as a "spec" reservation. Some people who do a lot of renting dabble in it. Listing spec reservations on the disboards rent/trade board is discouraged. You cannot post a confirmed reservation on the rent/trade board unless it starts in less than 30 days. At that point, if you were not to get any takers, your points would go into holding if you canceled. There are other boards that permit members to post spec reservations and the agencies will accept confirmed reservations if you want to work with one of them.

Thats great info, thank you!!!

I had the same issue trying to rent through David's. I had VGC points which I thought would go quickly. I waited about three months and then gave up! And yes, some of the issue was that they are June 2019 points, but made it clear that I was willing to borrow the points to make reservations for June 2018. I thought people would be clamoring to get them since I listed them 10 months out from June 2018. I waited...and waited. I called them and they made me feel stupid and told me that it could be many months before they were rented.

I was concerned that I would lose the $14/pp if they were rented within a 7-month window...and you really can't wait until less than 7 months at VGC. I listed them on the rent/trade board and got rid of all but 15 points within a week. Then two weeks after I rented them, David's contacted me to rent them out. I would have waited, but the employee at David's made me feel like I should just sit down and be quiet and that it would take forever.

Just a curious question......Isn't the going rate for extra points from Member services $15 a point for up to 24 one time use points? I'm a small points owner....almost always in borrow mode (didn't want to be saddled with a bigger contract) and have done point transfers from other members in the past when family wanted DVC or we wanted an extra trip not in our points budget. I ask because we were considering a trip next year and rather deal with the going rate ($14.50 and up) and the difficulty for the renter and rentee on both ends....I only need like 20 points to make it happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter