~Registered for 2011 Dis Half Marathon~

LittleB

Earning My Ears
Greetings~

I have registered for the 2011 Dis Half Marathon! I have done 4 full marathons pre-baby. Post Baby I have done 2 half marathons to date and have my 3rd half marathon pending this Spring 2010.

I am looking for others who will be running the Dis Half who may want to chat over the next year while training for this event and who may want to even meet up race day.

I am truly excited and looking forward to this race. I have been wanting to run a Disney race for some time now~my family and I are part of the DVC and next year we are planning our vacation to revolve around the Disney Half Marathon! (=

Happy Running!!!!

Welcome! You are in the right place for plenty of support and encouragement!!

My goal is to finish the half marathon in jan. 2011 as well.

This is totally exciting, as I have not ever done any marathoning. When I did some snooping around I found the 2009 marathon vids on youtube and started tearing up with happiness just watching folks take off from the start line.

Hopefully one year will be enough time to go from 48 year old couch potato to 1/2 marathon finisher.

I finished the WDW 1/2 marathon on January 9, 2010. It was horribly miserable (cold, wet, sleet) but I've already signed up for next year's! I figure they can't have that kind of weather two years in a row, right!!?! I feel so accomplished. At the age of 40, I've already finished a half marathon and lost 5 pounds at WDW and it's only January 19!!

This year I plan to train properly and get back into shape and really be prepared for next year's. I'd like to cut an hour off my time and I think I can do it. I have another 1/2 on 10/10/10 so I can get a good idea of my progress.

I started C25K yesterday. I want to be able to run a 5k by May. My longer term goal is to do the half marathon in January. Today though I feel like I'v been run over by a semi.

well i've officially registered for the 1/2 marathon - after being closed out of it for the past two years, i decided to sign up right away, to be sure i'd get in..

so....now all that's left to do is....train.....

is there a good place to go for training tips?

I finished the WDW 1/2 marathon on January 9, 2010. It was horribly miserable (cold, wet, sleet) but I've already signed up for next year's! I figure they can't have that kind of weather two years in a row, right!!?! I feel so accomplished. At the age of 40, I've already finished a half marathon and lost 5 pounds at WDW and it's only January 19!!

This year I plan to train properly and get back into shape and really be prepared for next year's. I'd like to cut an hour off my time and I think I can do it. I have another 1/2 on 10/10/10 so I can get a good idea of my progress.

Wow! Do you really think you can cut an hour off your time???? I would love to do the same from my time this year!

Congrats to everyone who's signed up! I can assure you with training, you will do this. I went from no running to the Minnie 15k in 5 months and the 1/2 the following January. And last week, I did my first marathon--at the age of 51.

Nursepammi 1 year will definitely be enough time. You might want to look at Couch to 5k (C25k) on coolrunning.com Build your training gradually and look to do a shorter race or two.

james' mommy This too shall pass! The soreness, that is. Stay with it and don't get discouraged. Your body will adapt. But also, don't be afraid to listen to your body--if you feel something more serious is going on, take a break. Better to head off an injury, than spend time recovering from one.

disneyholic family Training tips....well, other than all the wonderful advice we WISH'ers give ;) look at Runner's World. They have some pretty good info. For training plans, I used the Hal Higdon beginner plans for my 15k and half marathon. Many of the WISH'ers swear by Galloway *run/walk), but I am not familiar with that. For time pressed runners, I can recommend "Run Less, Run Faster"--I used it last year to improve my 5k and 10k time and to train for the marathon (novice plan)

Good luck everyone! Not sure which Disney race I may do next January, but hope to be there!

Maura

Hello all! I am brand new to running and I have heard about the WDW half marathon for a few years listening to podcasts. I have registered for the 2011 Half. I have done this to motivate myself to do something I have never done in my life - get healthy!

I am starting with the C25K plan, actually I'm on Week 1. I do my Day 3 run tomorrow morning. I will be needing a lot of help along the way I'm sure.

I am very much out of shape so I wont lie, I'm a bit scared if I will be able to do it. But I'm going to give it my best! I have a few health issues that I'm working on with my doctor right now to make sure I dont keel over while doing this... :goodvibes

Scott

I'm registered for the half too! Actually my husband and I are registered and will be doing it together. I started running in October and wanted to prove to myself and him that I'd stick with it and we ran a 5K in December. We crossed the finish line at 35:07. We now run together about three times a week and we are about up to 10 miles a week. Last Sunday we ran another 5K and came in at 34 minutes and change. The official times haven't been posted yet but we have the feeling that we are at the end of the pack. I am trying not to get discouraged about how fast we are, or should I say I am! We are signed up to do another 5K next month and I am encouraging my husband to run his own race. It was a little tough for him to watch the old guys and grandmas with dogs beat his time! He has been a good sport though and we are determined to be ready for the half and are looking forward to it being a big event that we share together!

hI Everyone -

I too am thinking of doing the Half Marathon, I am turning 30 the day of the race. I also started doing the C25k program last week. :cool1:

Jamie

I am so excited that so many people are registering and getting ready for 2011 Dis Half Marathon! I have never been to the Expo or to FL in January for that matter ...so I am unsure of what to expect for the Expo or weather. I am from Vermont so I am used to running and training in colder elements but dont know what it will be like in FL in Jan for the start time we have....5:50 am. If anyone has any advise~please share! ***If anyone is interested in setting up running groups for the actual day so people can meet up and have running buddies to keep each other company-lets do it!***

~*~

Happy Running

How cold are we talkin'? I am from Vermont and am used to training and running in nasty cold stuff but want to get an idea of what I should be considering for a FL race in Jan! In addition, can you share how the pre race set up is and how long you had to wait etc?

TY TY

(=

Hey.
I'm strongly considering doing the Half Marathon. It's been a goal of mine to run a Half Marathon since last year when my aunt ran one. So, I figured why not at Disney and why not now? Plus its in January and I already looked at every school I might be going to (freshman in college next year) and I have the entire month off. My dad might do it with me. He can do 6 miles straight; its just the last 7 miles that are gunna get him. I haven't ran in a while but I was doing 3-4 miles straight. If we train together I know we can do it though.
My only few issues:
1) its like freezing cold in Chicago right now and I can't afford a gym membership anymore. How to start training?
2) I start college in roughly 8 months. I'm hoping to by then have a good gauge of if I'm going to be able to do it so that I can book my trip and be forced to follow through.
3) Paying for my trip is going to have to come out of my pocket, plus it will probably be a birthday gift for my dad (and if I can swing it, my mom and younger brother too). Going to have to do some major hardcore saving, starting now.
Good luck to all and I hope to stay around here so we can talk more!

Hi, everyone,
I'm hoping I can join your group! I'm not officially signed up for the half in 2011 but getting really close to doing it! I was signed up to run the half in 2007 and I found out I was pregnant just before we left and due to some health concerns my dr. asked me not to run. So, I've finally just gotten back into running and I'm looking forward to Disney in 2011 and having my sweetheart little boy cheer me on!! :cheer2:

hopefully we can share some fun training tips and keep our motivation going!

Good luck everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter