• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for first time visit to Aulani

Muckbeast

Earning My Ears
My family is going to Aulani for the first time this year, Dec 16-24. I'm the only one that has ever been to Hawaii before (and that was 30 years ago). We are DVC members staying on our points. Our kids are 14 and 9.

I've been reading the forums and learned a lot, but I have a few questions:

1) Airport Shuttle from HNL to Aulani: I have read conflicting information. Is there a free (or even not free) airport shuttle from HNL to the Aulani resort?

2) Car rental: We are planning to spend most of our time at the resort but will probably do a few things elsewhere. Pros/cons of having a car? DVC gets free parking - does that include valet parking?

3) I know there are a bunch of store/grocery options nearby. I also know we need to bring our own bags. What are the prices like comparable to mainland? 25% higher? 50%?

4) What sort of activities do we need to make reservations for? We generally prefer to choose things day to day once we get there, but we know that won't work for some activities and want to figure out which ones we need to plan/reserve in advance.

5) What do we absolutely NOT want to miss?

6) Of the more expensive activities like swimming with sea lions and such, which ones have you heard are really spectacular/worth it?

7) What is the main phone number and address of the Aulani resort so I can call direct with questions?

Thanks!

I like having a car so I can get groceries in Kapolei and eat at off site restaurants; valet parking is not free, but self parking is very convenient and I don't believe that the valet parking is necessary.
In Kapolei there is a Walmart, a Safeway, and a Costco for groceries; to me they are not that much more expensive than mainland grocery stores.
I love the activities that are offered around the island, but I am also cheap and try to do them at the lowest price possible. When I was on Oahu last December I used Groupon for a snorkeling excursion at Hanuama Bay, a shark cage experience on the North Shore, and snorkeling with dolphins and turtles out of Haleiwa. I used Living Social for Germaine's Luau, I believe this was $44 per person and it included alcohol.

1) There is not a free shuttle from HNL to Aulani. There is a Fall and Winter offer going on that if you call in to book a cash reservation, free RT transportation is being offered on certain dates of stay.
2) I'm not a DVC owner so in regards to free Valet, I would contact DVC direct. There is an Alamo desk in the lobby where you could inquire about renting a car on a couple days of your stay. Some excursions provide transportation so when researching places to visit on the island, be sure to ask the excursion company or you can ask the tour desk staff in the lobby at Aulani.
3) Grocery prices are a bit higher but that's compared to where we live.
4) In regards to activities, are you referring to at the resort or around the island? At the resort, if you have children between 3-12 yrs old, you might want to pre-register them for the complimentary kids' club (online on their website). Also book dining in advance esp for character breakfast and dinner at Ama Ama. To book the Ka Wa'A Luau, you need to call a separate dining line 808-674-6850 between the hours of 12pm-8pm (HST). In regards to excursions, I would try to book those in advance as there is usually a limited amount of guests and time of day and days of week they are operated.
5) I'm not of much help in terms of what not to miss but I've heard that Kualoa Ranch is a must see (where lots of movies/tv shows have been filmed such as Lost, Jurassic Park, etc.). North Shore and Waimea Canyon were recommended by family who have visited. Diamond Head Crater is another one if you don't mind a bit of a hike up to the top.
6) Anyone else have ideas?
7) The hotel's front desk number is 808-674-6200 and the address is 92-1185 Ali'inui Drive; Kapolei, HI 96707 if you need it for directions in mapping distances to places on the island.

Enjoy your trip!

My family is going to Aulani for the first time this year, Dec 16-24. I'm the only one that has ever been to Hawaii before (and that was 30 years ago). We are DVC members staying on our points. Our kids are 14 and 9.

1) Airport Shuttle from HNL to Aulani: I have read conflicting information. Is there a free (or even not free) airport shuttle from HNL to the Aulani resort? The shuttle is not free, but I would rent a car the whole time instead, from the airport. I'd look now at rates!

2) Car rental: We are planning to spend most of our time at the resort but will probably do a few things elsewhere. Pros/cons of having a car? DVC gets free parking - does that include valet parking? Not free valet but free self parking.

3) I know there are a bunch of store/grocery options nearby. I also know we need to bring our own bags. What are the prices like comparable to mainland? 25% higher? 50%? Prices at Target and the other stores, except Safeway, are similar to the mainland. The few items that tend to cost more are bread, eggs, and milk.

4) What sort of activities do we need to make reservations for? We generally prefer to choose things day to day once we get there, but we know that won't work for some activities and want to figure out which ones we need to plan/reserve in advance. We do our own things for the most part, so have never booked anything in advance. That being said, I lived on Oahu for a few years.

5) What do we absolutely NOT want to miss? You're going to have to decide for yourself in your limited time! I personally would visit Pearl Harbor for sure.

6) Of the more expensive activities like swimming with sea lions and such, which ones have you heard are really spectacular/worth it? I've never heard of swimming with sea lions! There is a fun swimming with spinner dolphins boat ride from the Ko Olina area that I did when our kids were younger. It was fun but we liked snorkeling.

7) What is the main phone number and address of the Aulani resort so I can call direct with questions?

Thanks!

1) Airport Shuttle from HNL to Aulani: I have read conflicting information. Is there a free (or even not free) airport shuttle from HNL to the Aulani resort?

2) Car rental: We are planning to spend most of our time at the resort but will probably do a few things elsewhere. Pros/cons of having a car? DVC gets free parking - does that include valet parking?

3) I know there are a bunch of store/grocery options nearby. I also know we need to bring our own bags. What are the prices like comparable to mainland? 25% higher? 50%?

4) What sort of activities do we need to make reservations for? We generally prefer to choose things day to day once we get there, but we know that won't work for some activities and want to figure out which ones we need to plan/reserve in advance.

6) Of the more expensive activities like swimming with sea lions and such, which ones have you heard are really spectacular/worth it?

1. No free shuttle, as mentioned. I believe SpeediShuttle will provide shuttle service for a fee but they don't get great reviews.

2. As mentioned, DVC includes free self parking but the self parking could not be easier or closer to the entrance. The garage is steps to the entrance of the Waianae tower. I believe valet might even park the cars in the same area too. Very easy, always spots. We had a car the entire time and it was very convenient. We could transport ourselves to and from the airport, go offsite whenever we wanted. There is an Alamo at Aulani where you could do daily rentals but I have heard they occasionally run out of cars if you don't get there early.

3. I think it's only Target and Costco where you need to bring your own bags. You can also buy 99 cent reusable bags at check-out at Target, which is what we did. We ended up using them as garbage bags in our room at Aulani since you don't get daily housekeeping staying on points. We found prices mostly comparable to the mainland. We actually saw some of the generic Target items to be more expensive than brand names. Not sure if it has to do with shipping/distribution or what, but thought it was interesting. There is an ABC Store across the street from Aulani with basic things if you forget anything.

4. Off-site or onsite? Onsite, you'd want to make reservations for dining, spa, and cabanas/casabellas if any of that interests you. Offsite, we had reservations/tickets for Kualoa Ranch and Pearl Harbor.

5. Tough to say! We loved everything, but our favorite day was at the North Shore visiting the town of Haleiwa. Loved it there.

I'll add a couple of thoughts on a few:

5) What do we absolutely NOT want to miss? The Valor in the Pacific Monument. I can't stress this enough.

6) Of the more expensive activities like swimming with sea lions and such, which ones have you heard are really spectacular/worth it? First, we have only one seal, which is endangered. Please stay away from these. Further, wild aquatic mammals come to shore to rest during the day (dolphins and seals). Please don't interrupt this rest or they will not have enough rest to feed at night. Reputable tour operators will help you with viewing sea life without harassing them. If unsure, err on the side of caution.

Thanks!

1) There is no free shuttle to/from the airport.

2) We rented a car, and it was worth it for getting groceries, and going out a few times. Once you rent a car, it seems to be cheaper to rent it for the week, instead of one day in and out. DVC gets free parking, and we dint' think valet parking was necessary at all. The self-park was super close and easy.

3) It's definitely higher for groceries, but I live in CA so it wasn't as crazy of a difference as some people are used to. I already pay $4 for a gallon of milk, so $5 isn't that different. We make our own meals often, and I will bring basic condiments, spices, etc., so I don't have to pay for those items.

4) We had a 5, 7, and infant when we went, so we didn't go do any particular activities that required reservations. BUT, if you do want to eat at Ama Ama or character breakfast, or the luau, you will need reservations. We are going in a couple of weeks, and I just called today to get reservations to the onsite Luau, and there was only one day available!!

5) Overall, I'd say look at the Daily 'Iwa and whatever you see that you like, try to do it. Sometimes it doesn't come back!

I just came back from Aulani.
1) No free airport shuttle except with certain cash package deals.
2) We rented a car for shopping and going off property for some sightseeing.Self parking is free for DVC members staying on points. Valet parking is charged for all guests. The only exception is DVC members staying on points who have a valid Handicapped parking permit. If you rent a car ask at the valet fro directions. They have preprinted cards with directions to nearly everywhere as well as return directions!
3) We shopped at Foodland in Kapolei based on recommendations from some of the CMs. If you give the cashier a 10 digit phone number (no they will not call or text you) you get the Maikai/sale prices. We found their sale prices to be pretty good. A 2 liter bottle of Hawaiian Spring water was $ .99 vs $1.99 elsewhere. And a rotisserie chicken was $6.99 comparable to home with the Maikai discount. We saw a loaf of Arnold's Oat Bran bread for $7.69 at the ABC store which was $5.49 at Foodland and $4.50 at home.
4) No kids here but we were able to reserve some activities the same day-tours of Aulani and a Sunset Photography class. Uncle's Storytelling was not crowded and seats were easy to get. You do need reservations for the character meals and Ama' Ama.
5) The Daily 'Iwa is available at the front desk, concierge desk, tour desk and DVC Preview Center among other places between 5:00 and 7:00 each evening for the next day. Pick it up in the evening and see what is scheduled for the next day. Many of the CMs know what days certain activities are usually scheduled. Ask at Aunty's Beach House, The Pau Hana Room or Guest Services. The activities are divided into Families, Kids and Tweens. Any activities with an * have an additional charge.
6) Additonal activities not to be missed. The Valor in the Pacific National Monument with the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. You can make your reservations on line at recreation.gov. Just search for USS Arizona. There is a $1.50 per ticket online fee. Get the audio tour for $7.50. It makes the entire experience worth it. You can listen to the audio tour in any order. They give you a map with the stops and there are reminder markers at each stop so you know what portion you will be setting the player for. We went on a Sunday with an 8:00 tour time. It did get more crowded later but there is much less traffic on the weekends. We also met 2 Pearl Harbor Survivors at the gift shop. They each had a short bio that they gave out and allowed us to take pictures with them. They also were eager to answer questions and especially talk to kids. If your kids have history classes or projects that involve WW 2 this would be a great opportunity for them.
You will be there after the formal 75th Anniversary Commemoration so there may not be huge crowds. Get an early ticket time because the shuttle boats to the USS Arizona are run by the Navy and if they decide that it is too windy, which can happen especially later in the day, the Navy will stop the boats for safety reasons. There is so much more to do at the visitors center than just the movie and visit to the USS Arizona. You can also get tickets to visit the USS Bowfin, a submarine and the USS Missouri, the ship where Japan signed the surrender. You must be bussed to teh USS Missouri from the visitors center. And the audio tour has not only a narration but recollections from survivors oth military and civilian in their own words.
As for prices in general we saw 'meal deals at Burger King for $10.50 and up. The same meals at home run $6.50-$8.00. If you want to eat or shop at local places ask the CMs. They live there. Most of them grew up in the area and know where to go to eat or shop. That is how we found Foodland and several local eateries serving Hawaiian food.

We found it easiest to just rent a car in HNL and return it to Aulani! That way we only paid for it one day. We rented one other day a convertible and drove to North Shore which was a bit of a drive but fun

3) I know there are a bunch of store/grocery options nearby. I also know we need to bring our own bags. What are the prices like comparable to mainland? 25% higher? 50%? Not sure as depends on where you live. We were from Alaska so it was just a touch less for us.

5) What do we absolutely NOT want to miss? The on site dining by the beach- forget the name but food was amazing.

My son and husband loves the fresh air supplies snorkeling at the resort even though the water was cold. The resort location made it great for even me (with a 1 year old) because we could watch.

Aside from surviving the super long flight, any suggestions or advice for traveling with a 4 year old?

I've been taking my kids back since my daughter was 4 (without my husband, but it was fine!). Bring snacks, make sure to have a cup with a lid if they FA's don't have lids for drinks (I don't like spills, LOL), a change of clothes for them in the carry on, and sometimes I'd also throw in a clean tee shirt for me too, JUST IN CASE of any spills. Basically things to keep them occupied! I also always bring wipes for the tray table and arm rests. Going first class is always more pleasant, but not always feasible (we always pay with miles, and it's just gotten harder every time!).

Hoping on this post to ask this question and my apologies if this makes anyone mad: does Aulani remind anyone of the Wilderness Lodge at WDW? We've stayed there before and then when we were thinking of staying at the Grand Californian, it reminded me too much of the Wilderness Lodge and wanted something different. Same thing with Aulani. Is it like the Lodge? I want a resort experience. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

I have lived here in Hawaii for the past year with my husband on military orders and have been to Aulani three times so far. However if I could offer any advice, this would be it:

It is really important to have a car while vacationing in Hawaii. As gorgeous as Aulani is, you will want to have the freedom to see the island. A day drive in-and-of itself to tour the beaches, see Haleiwa and North Shore, tour Honolulu and Waikiki, and hiking are just some of the many things you can do out here. Since you'll be here for at least a week, a couple of days devoted to Aulani will be plenty with the rest open for all of the other things Hawaii has to offer.

Prices out here are expensive - think Disney World + a bit. To give an idea, a gallon of milk cost ranges from $8.00 - 10.00 depending where you shop. Walmart and Target are the best options. I would stay away from Safeway as they tend to be on the more costly side. Kapolei is close-by to the resort and have many grocery shopping options. Bring reusable bags as plastic bags are not commonplace.

If you have any dining experiences on your list (Aulani included), make sure to make reservations if possible. Experience a luau if you can - Waikiki and Honolulu have several, and Turtle Bay Resort on North Shore has one also. Kuoloa Ranch on the other side of Oahu offers a great range of boating, ATV, horseback riding and bus tours through the famous valley where Jurassic Park and many other famous Hollywood movies were filmed; it is best to book a reservation for any of these as well as they can get crowded quickly. Pearl Harbor is also a wonderful treat to see if your family is big into history. I have not done any dolphin encounters or any sea parks out here because I have heard that they are not worth the price, and there are cheaper options for almost the same experience on the mainland (ie: Orlando.)

Haunauma Bay is a MUST. It is one of the top beaches in the world and offers amazing snorkeling right off the beach with thousands of colorful fish and sea turtles. It's easily an all-day treat.

As far as any other must-sees, I would truly visit as many beaches and do as many hikes as you can. Nature in Hawaii is unlike anything you've ever seen before. Because your children are old enough, many of the hikes would be easy for them, and they offer spectacular views that you can't get anywhere else. The Lanikai Pillbox hike at sunrise is incredible (would be a very early morning for you though because it's on the opposite side of the island from Aulani) but very worth it, as is the Lighthouse Hike on the southern tip of Oahu that branches off into Alan Davis beach (a quaint little cove with a plank for jumping off of into crystal clear water).

See and do as much as you can while you're here. Aulani is amazing, but just one little taste of all Hawaii has to offer. :)

Hoping on this post to ask this question and my apologies if this makes anyone mad: does Aulani remind anyone of the Wilderness Lodge at WDW? We've stayed there before and then when we were thinking of staying at the Grand Californian, it reminded me too much of the Wilderness Lodge and wanted something different. Same thing with Aulani. Is it like the Lodge? I want a resort experience. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
It is nothing like Wilderness Lodge. The lobby is all open-air with no doors or windows, the floor is stone tile, and all of the walls are decorated in traditional Hawaiian murals and artwork.

I'm not sure who compared it to Wilderness Lodge, but they couldn't be any further off. California Adventure and Animal Kingdom Lodge definitely have a similar feel, but Aulani has a distinctly Polynesian feel.

I have lived here in Hawaii for the past year with my husband on military orders and have been to Aulani three times so far. However if I could offer any advice, this would be it:

It is really important to have a car while vacationing in Hawaii. As gorgeous as Aulani is, you will want to have the freedom to see the island. A day drive in-and-of itself to tour the beaches, see Haleiwa and North Shore, tour Honolulu and Waikiki, and hiking are just some of the many things you can do out here. Since you'll be here for at least a week, a couple of days devoted to Aulani will be plenty with the rest open for all of the other things Hawaii has to offer.

Prices out here are expensive - think Disney World + a bit. To give an idea, a gallon of milk cost ranges from $8.00 - 10.00 depending where you shop. Walmart and Target are the best options. I would stay away from Safeway as they tend to be on the more costly side. Kapolei is close-by to the resort and have many grocery shopping options. Bring reusable bags as plastic bags are not commonplace.

If you have any dining experiences on your list (Aulani included), make sure to make reservations if possible. Experience a luau if you can - Waikiki and Honolulu have several, and Turtle Bay Resort on North Shore has one also. Kuoloa Ranch on the other side of Oahu offers a great range of boating, ATV, horseback riding and bus tours through the famous valley where Jurassic Park and many other famous Hollywood movies were filmed; it is best to book a reservation for any of these as well as they can get crowded quickly. Pearl Harbor is also a wonderful treat to see if your family is big into history. I have not done any dolphin encounters or any sea parks out here because I have heard that they are not worth the price, and there are cheaper options for almost the same experience on the mainland (ie: Orlando.)

Haunauma Bay is a MUST. It is one of the top beaches in the world and offers amazing snorkeling right off the beach with thousands of colorful fish and sea turtles. It's easily an all-day treat.

As far as any other must-sees, I would truly visit as many beaches and do as many hikes as you can. Nature in Hawaii is unlike anything you've ever seen before. Because your children are old enough, many of the hikes would be easy for them, and they offer spectacular views that you can't get anywhere else. The Lanikai Pillbox hike at sunrise is incredible (would be a very early morning for you though because it's on the opposite side of the island from Aulani) but very worth it, as is the Lighthouse Hike on the southern tip of Oahu that branches off into Alan Davis beach (a quaint little cove with a plank for jumping off of into crystal clear water).

See and do as much as you can while you're here. Aulani is amazing, but just one little taste of all Hawaii has to offer. :)

How are priced at the commissary compared to target? (Silly question but is it worth the drive to post)

We kept saying that Aulani reminded us of Animal Kingdom Lodge - similar layout, dark decor, dark wood. I guess Wilderness Lodge has a similar design with the dark color scheme and accent, but that's about the only similarity.

How are priced at the commissary compared to target? (Silly question but is it worth the drive to post)

The commissary is the cheapest place to shop on island, but Target is pretty comparable with some of the necessities. If you have base access, I would go to the NEX in Pearl Harbor as it should be closest to the resort.

The NEX complex isn't on post - it is the navy exchange and pearl harbor commissary, but you don't actually drive onto JBPHH. It's very convenient to the airport if you have a car. Right around the corner basically. NEX allows guests with military ID sponsor. Commissary there only allows ID holders.
Hickam has it's own commissary and BX, but those are on the actual base. Schofield has a PX and Commissary as well, also on the actual base.

bump

Not going to lie. Bumped to be the 10,000th comment in Aulani forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter