Price question here with Aulani??

SL6827

DIS Veteran
OK so I plugged the following dates in with Disey and with David's DVC and I got one question.

Disney
September 8th-13th, 2024

Standard view hotel room- $2,617
Garden view hotel room- $2,782
Pool side studio- $2,927

Davids
September 7th-12th, 2025

Standard view hotel room- $2,000
Garden view studio- $2,375
Pool side studio- $2,875

Why is the Pool side studio the only one that is in close price with Disney? The others do show a nice size savings if one was going to rent points.

Not sure about why the pool side studios are so close, but one think to consider is that it will be very hard to book the standard hotel room as a dvc rental. There aren't that many and go quick since it the cheapest dvc option at Aulani.

Have fun planning for Aulani. We went in 2022 and 2023. Hoping to return for our 25th anniversary in a few years.

Not sure about why the pool side studios are so close, but one think to consider is that it will be very hard to book the standard hotel room as a dvc rental. There aren't that many and go quick since it the cheapest dvc option at Aulani.

Have fun planning for Aulani. We went in 2022 and 2023. Hoping to return for our 25th anniversary in a few years.
Oh ya. The standard hotel room would have to be booked with Disney I'm sure. But the Pool side view would be my first pick. Low floor!👍

I am sure you know this because you are doing your research here but keep in mind that if you rent DVC from Davids or anyone else you are also saving BIG on parking if you have a rental car.

I am sure you know this because you are doing your research here but keep in mind that if you rent DVC from Davids or anyone else you are also saving BIG on parking if you have a rental car.
Right. I'm torn, believe me. So many variables. But thank you.

David’s DVC Rentals are based on a price per point, depending on resort and timing (I’vecopied/pasted from their website). Point charts are determined by Disney Vacation Club for each DVC Room Type and Season, you can look this up on the DVC website and see when the lowest cost to stay would be. I would encourage you to shop around and compare prices on all of major DVC rental sites. I’ve rented from most of them and they have all been great. You will almost always save money renting DVC vs. cash reservations. Plus you get free parking and laundry (laundry room for studios, typically in room for 1-bedroom and above). I loved renting at Aulani so much that I eventually bought 2 contracts- LOL 🤣.
  • PREMIUM - $25.00 per point. Secured 7-11 months in advance at the following resorts:
    • Riviera Resort
    • Boardwalk
    • Beach Club
    • Polynesian
    • Grand Floridian
    • Boulder Ridge
    • Copper Creek
    • Cabins at Fort Wilderness
    • Grand Californian
    • Disneyland Hotel
    • Aulani
  • REGULAR - $23.00 per point. Secured at the following resorts year round:
    • Bay Lake Tower
    • Animal Kingdom (Jambo House & Kidani Village)
    • Secured at the PREMIUM resorts 0-7 months in advance
  • ADVANTAGE - $20.00 per point. Secured at the following resorts year round:
    • Saratoga Springs
    • Old Key West
    • Hilton Head Island
    • Vero Beach

Disney frequently does room discounts for specific categories. Your dates fall under a promotion this fall, so it's possible Disney is offering a larger discount on the poolside view rooms. They're also offering a larger discount for Disney visa holders.

What you're seeing is an artifact of the DVC points chart.

Poolside Garden is EXTREMELY overpriced on the DVC points chart in terms of dollars-of-rack-rate-per-point. I've done the math and it's among the worst points values across all DVC resorts. Since David's is quoting you a points-rental price, you're seeing a much higher cost relative to the other categories. I always recommend people jump all the way to Ocean if they want to upgrade from Standard or Island Garden and are staying with points.

Poolside Garden is 21% more expensive (in points) than Island Garden, but it's only 5% more expensive than Island Garden in cash, setting aside any promotions or other complicating factors.

Side note, points costs at Aulani are identical weekday versus weekend, while the same is not true for cash prices. So your comparison is not apples-to-apples in that respect.

True, but you're also losing housekeeping. When I stay at a truly deluxe resort like Aulani (as opposed to some of the faux-deluxe resorts at WDW), I want the full resort experience and that includes housekeeping and probably valet parking. I want it to feel like a world-class resort vacation, I don't want to come back to the room and not even have my bed made. So when I'm staying on points I'm also tacking on the daily housekeeping charge.

What you're seeing is an artifact of the DVC points chart.

Poolside Garden is EXTREMELY overpriced on the DVC points chart in terms of dollars-of-rack-rate-per-point. I've done the math and it's among the worst points values across all DVC resorts. Since David's is quoting you a points-rental price, you're seeing a much higher cost relative to the other categories. I always recommend people jump all the way to Ocean if they want to upgrade from Standard or Island Garden and are staying with points.

Poolside Garden is 21% more expensive (in points) than Island Garden, but it's only 5% more expensive than Island Garden in cash, setting aside any promotions or other complicating factors.

Side note, points costs are Aulani are identical weekday versus weekend, while the same is not true for cash prices. So your comparison is not apples-to-apples in that respect.

But you're also losing housekeeping. When I stay at a truly deluxe resort like Aulani (as opposed to some of the faux-deluxe resorts at WDW), I want the full resort experience and that includes housekeeping and probably valet parking.
Once you get into the month of September, yes the weekday and weekend price is the same. Other times, perhaps not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter