Pooh Goes to TDR- a trip report- COMPLETE

Okay, cool. Weird that there was no dinner available at all, even first thing in the morning. The place looks close to the entrance, so I may make it my first stop.

Last edited:
Following along. I've been daydreaming about TDR for years now. <3__<3

Day 4: Started off with Rope Drop at Disneyland so I could ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt again.

After finishing Pooh, there were two things to do before heading out for a trip into Tokyo- try the lottery and find the green alien dumplings!

I stopped and tried to ask a CM near the astro-orbiter. For some reason I always thought of them in my head as mochi, but when I asked for mochi, the CM told me they didn't sell that. This prompted the strangest set of charades possible til finally she understood the alien with 3 eyes, and then she knew where to send me. On my way, I stopped at the Hall to try my luck with the lottery, and success! I got a seat for One Man's Dream II, although I didn't get one for the night time show. So now I knew that I needed to be back to DL by 4:30 pm to make the show.

Where were the little green men?

Pan Galactic Pizza Port. And what did I think of them? They were pretty good, but I liked the filling flavors in the Scrumplings a little better. These were vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

Then, it was time to head to Tokyo. I had checked with the front desk at the hotel, because I had a very specific errand to run to find a music store that sold ballroom dance CDs as a gift for my father who teaches ballroom dancing. The front desk was nice enough to write down the times of the trains for me, but since I was running earlier than scheduled I promptly disregarded everything they told me and figured I'd just wing it.

To get to Maihama Station, you take the Disney Resort Line monorail to the Ipskiari station. You have to exit from the resort line and walk outside a little ways to the Maihama train station. Since I wasn't sure exactly where my travels would take me after running my errand, I decided to get a refillable card and just put money on it as I went. I first tried to purchase one from the automated machines, which did have an English option, but you could only refill a card at the station, not buy a new one. So I went to the ticket window and asked for "Pasmo" or "Suica". The ticket seller pulled out a sheet with some English information on it to ask me questions about how much I wanted to put on the card, and that I understood part of the money was for the cost of the card. I was able to point to what I needed and the transaction went very easily. Then I was off.

I headed up to the platform, and this is where it got mildly confusing. There were multiple trains listed as going to Tokyo Station, and I wasn't really sure which one I should choose, so I just got on the first one that came. It turned out that I had chosen the local train so there were a lot of stops before we got to Tokyo Station. In some ways it was nice to have plenty of time to observe how things worked. There was a monitor above each door with a map of the station we were at, and the next few stations, with numbers by them that indicated how much time it was until we reached that station. The station names were announced in both Japanese and English, and the station names were on the monitors in Japanese characters and Roman characters/English. So it wasn't too difficult to figure out when we'd made it to Tokyo Station, where I had to change trains. It took about 25 minutes to get to Tokyo Station on the local train.

The one thing I will say is that it was a long walk from the Maihama line up to the rest of the station where the high speed trains and the subway trains were. I was glad I hadn't tried to drag all my luggage on the train but had taken the Airport Limo to TDR.

After changing trains a few times, and one detour when I walked the wrong way based on the map I was given, I found the store and got my gift. By this time, I was hungry, and so was excited to find a conveyor belt sushi restaurant. This was something I was hoping to get to try, so I went inside and was soon seated near the conveyor belt.

It was fun to watch things go past on the belt and just help myself to whatever looked good. I am not a huge wasabi fan, so by the 4th plate where the wasabi had been mixed in with the rice, my nose was running and I was almost crying. Still, it made for a good and inexpensive snack. When I was finished, I stood up, and one of the attendants came by with a scanning machine that scanned the color of each plate and then printed out a receipt. Each plate color was a different price. Then I brought the receipt to the cashier to pay.

Then it was time to do a little more traditional sightseeing.

Lol. Magellan's isn't really close to the entrance. DisneySea is pretty huge!

Well, it's still in the first section of the park, not the back. On the map it doesn't look too bad. Should I go to it before any rides?

Well, it's still in the first section of the park, not the back. On the map it doesn't look too bad. Should I go to it before any rides?
I think it depends on what rides you want to go on. If you want either TSM or ToT, I would go get FP for them first. Magellan's is a fairly easy stop for anything towards the back of the park (Stormrider, Indy, Raging Spirits) so if you don't care about TSM and ToT, then going to Magellan's first for Priority Seating makes sense.

I headed to Harajuku, hoping to see some of the famous Harajuku girls, although I knew it was a long shot, since it was Thursday in the middle of the day.

All I found were expensive stores. Since I had limited time, I decided to abandon the fashion street and instead head to the shrine that was west of the station.

Yes, I got busted trying to get an inconspicuous photo of the woman in the beautiful kimono. LOL

This was a wonderful way to spend a few hours in Tokyo. It was calm and peaceful and very soul-restoring after the hustle and bustle of the days at Disney. But I also wanted to be part of one of the biggest hustle&bustle places in Tokyo, so I got back on the train and headed to Shibuya.

Thank you for posting. I went to TDR and Tokyo (including Shibuya, Harajuku, and Meiji Shrine) for 4 days as a solo at the end of a business trip in 2014. One of the best experiences of my life, and I'm enjoying reliving it through your report and photos. :goodvibes

The Shibuya shuffle. Often on lists of the busiest intersection in the world. I got to be part of the shuffle as I headed out of the train station and crossed to the Starbucks to order a drink and make my way to the second floor to have a chance to video the shuffle. I don't drink coffee, so I tried a Hot Apple, which was not hot, but did have some apple in it, among other things. Like little pieces of gelatin. Strange, but still tasty.

I have been trying to get the video to embed so you can see the shuffle, but can't seem to figure out how to make it work. Let me know if you have tips for me!

If I wanted to be sure to be back in time for One Man's Dream II, I figured I had better start making my way back to TDR. This was a good plan, as on the train back to Tokyo Station, all of a sudden I realized that every single person had gotten off the train at a stop. They were making announcements, but only in Japanese. Following the principle of doing what others are doing, I got up and exited the car, to see the others crossing the platform and getting into a train that was on the other side. So I followed them. I had a few nervous moments after the train started, until I could see on the monitors that this train was also going to Tokyo Station. I'm not sure what was wrong with the other one, but was glad I was still heading in the right direction.

While inside Tokyo Station and making my way to the train that would take me back to Maihama station, I spotted this beautiful stained glass window.

This was a welcome sign after making it to Maihama Station and heading back to the monorail.

Another adorable Christmas tree at one of the Disney Resort Line stations.

I think it depends on what rides you want to go on. If you want either TSM or ToT, I would go get FP for them first. Magellan's is a fairly easy stop for anything towards the back of the park (Stormrider, Indy, Raging Spirits) so if you don't care about TSM and ToT, then going to Magellan's first for Priority Seating makes sense.

I don't much care about TSMM since I can ride that here and it seems exactly the same. ToT on the other hand is a favorite and also I'm curious to compare it to the ones stateside. Maybe my sister can grab FP for ToT and I can go get the restaurant. Do you have to show a ticket to get the restaurant time?

I don't much care about TSMM since I can ride that here and it seems exactly the same. ToT on the other hand is a favorite and also I'm curious to compare it to the ones stateside. Maybe my sister can grab FP for ToT and I can go get the restaurant. Do you have to show a ticket to get the restaurant time?

Nope, you don't need to show a park ticket to get the Priority Seating reservation.

When I left off, I had just returned to Disneyland after an adventure in Tokyo, with enough time so I wouldn't miss my hard-won lottery ticket for One Man's Dream II.

I finally had a chance to enjoy the decorations at the front of the park that I'd barely seen in my rush to get to Pooh's Hunny Hunt at rope drop.

It was a bit strange for Main Street to have a roof, but it did help keep it warmer than in the more exposed areas of the park.

Since I had a little time, and was hungry for a snack, I headed over to Toontown to grab something but hopefully not get trapped by the afternoon parade. My stop? The Good Time Cafe.

The Donald (shrimp) Burger. Oh- this was delicious! One of the best things I ate at TDR, outside of Magellan's. The shrimp had great flavor & seasoning, the fried breading was crunchy but not greasy, the webbed-foot bun was adorable and tasty. Home Run! I also got some more Kirin Apple Tea soda which I loved.

Heading into Tomorrowland for the show, I found this adorable vending machine near the base of Space Mountain.

Then it was time for One Man's Dream II

This show was also quite fun, although almost exclusively in Japanese. But I really had a hard time paying attention as the theater is an open-air theater and it had started to get cold as the sun went down. If you're going in the wintertime, you may want to try to see it during the daytime when it is warmer.

I was still hungry, and wanted to try to grab some more infamous TDR snacks before it was time to start camping out for Dreamlights. I ended up at Boiler Room Bites for snacks, then sitting in the covered but open air seating across the way.

Barbecue pork and teriakyi chicken steamed bun. I liked the pork better than the chicken.

Strawberry & Milk steamed bun. I liked this one better overall. I thought about grabbing a bowl of ramen at China Voyager to warm me up, as the open air seating was still quite cold but I didn't think I could finish it and didn't want to throw a bunch away. Instead, I headed back to Country Bears to get inside and sit for a while.

There was a little more than an hour to go before Dreamlights, and so I walked towards the castle a bit, but noticed that all the benches seemed to be filling up, so I walked back towards Westernland and found a bench that still had room for one Pooh-sized American. The Japanese ladies that were sitting there didn't have any English, but somehow we were able to pantomime that I needed to take a bathroom break and not to let anyone else take my spot. Not that anyone would- it's so civilized. This was a nice spot as it wasn't super crowded, it was out of the wind so it was slightly warmer, and we had a nice long sightline for taking photos/videos.

Because I can't figure out how to embed videos, I can't post my video of the parade, but it was absolutely fantastic and puts the Main Street Electrical Parade to shame.

As soon as it finished, I had one more ride I wanted to try, and was hoping the line wasn't too long. The Jungle Cruise! It was posted with a 15 minute wait, so I jumped in line. While waiting, I spotted these warning signs and had to get pictures of them. Hilarious!

While my skipper narrated the tour completely in Japanese, his great facial expressions and vocal intonation made him a joy to watch and listen to. I told myself a few of the English jokes, and generally had a great time.

I thought about trying to find a spot for Once Upon a Time, but I just didn't have it in me. I was cold, and my feet hurt. And I had received an urgent text that a friend needed a Gelatoni before I left, if at all possible. So I could put my park hopper to good use, finally! I managed to catch the fireworks from a new and interesting vantage point.

The front of the monorail!! This was really cool and a fun way to see the fireworks in warmth.

I rushed into DisneySea and braved the unbelievable crowd to get a Gelatoni, and then took one more picture of the lovely Christmas decorations to remember it by.

There's one more installment to finish up this report, and it will be coming in the next day or so.

I have enjoyed your TR! You have included some great photos and details. I am seeing something I have not seen before, like those warning signs...they are so funny!

I have enjoyed your TR! You have included some great photos and details. I am seeing something I have not seen before, like those warning signs...they are so funny!
Thank you so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed it and thank you for reading. :)

I'm sad this trip report is coming to an end, but not as sad as I was to come to my last day at TDR. Although I was looking forward to time traveling (arriving at home 3 hours before I left, due to the time change and crossing the date line) and sleeping in my own bed, there's always something sad about leaving Disney.

I had originally planned to take the train back into Tokyo and do some more exploring, but when I woke up, it was pouring rain, thundering and lightening. I decided to instead take my time packing before running an important errand.

Here's your clue:

I had been overpaying for the train for most of the week, because I really wanted to be able to trade my passes for something wonderful. That required a trip to Ipskiari. We huddled near the turnstiles until the monorail came and then sprinted inside to stay dry. I was glad I had dragged my WDW poncho around with me for 3 weeks- it finally got some use! :)

Things were starting to settle down as we got to Ipskiari. I went to the station office and handed over my 3 one-day monorail passes in exchange for:

Special thanks to the guys over at TDR Explorer for the run-down on how to do this. It went very smoothly. I said pin and pointed to the poster on the wall, they took my tickets and punched them, then handed them back to me and handed me the pin. I can't wait to show it off on my next trip to WDW! :)

The rain had mostly stopped, although the wind was still fierce. I decided to do a little more exploring and headed over to Bon Voyage to see if there was any last minute items I couldn't live without.

Holiday decoration

The storm was so strong that most people's umbrellas were turned inside out, so I had a chuckle at the garbage cans stuffed with broken umbrellas.

Welcome arch with Tokyo Disneyland Hotel in the background.

I decided to grab some breakfast as I had an early evening (5pm) flight and so thought I'd try to eat a big "brunch" type meal since I wanted to get my body back on home time as best as I could. I climbed a flight of stairs to Cafe Kaila for an overpriced but delicious Hawaiian-style breakfast. Not sure how authentic it was, but it was yummy.

Mango juice. I was going to miss this a lot! It had been an ever-present treat throughout my 3 1/2 weeks in Asia.

Kaila special pancakes with baked apples, strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. They asked if I wanted to add ice cream, and I said sure! This is the small serving and it was more than enough for me, although they did ask me twice if I was sure I didn't want the larger serving. This restaurant slid your bill into a special pocket on the side of the table, and then you took it to the cashier to pay.

I had reserved my spot on the Airport Limo the night before at the hotel, so all that remained was to return to the hotel, check out, and wait for the bus. When I made the reservation, I goofed- I assumed it would be better to stay at the hotel for longer after checking out than sitting at the airport. With free wi-fi at the hotel only in certain limited spots, I would have been better off at the airport. YMMV.

As promised early on, here are a few things I learned/tips that might make your visit to Japan easier.

• Although I had read otherwise, I had no problems using a debit card as a credit card in TDR. I only used cash when in Tokyo, so I don't know how that would go for people. Guest Services was also able to change American Dollars into Yen easily, although I paid the tourist tax for the convenience.
  • Japanese toilets are amazing. I loved that the seat would get warm when you would sit down, and enjoyed the many options like the warm water bidet function. There was even a button to make flushing noises so your neighboring stall couldn't hear you do your business. Ingenious!
  • Japanese sinks are another matter. They were almost always automatic and the water was ice cold. Because most Japanese carry a small washcloth/hand towel with them everywhere, there were usually only 1-2 hand dryers for 6-8 or more sinks, and some of them didn't work that well. Bring a washcloth with you, or buy them at one of the gift shops.
  • Do not depend on Google translate unless you plan to get a Japanese SIM card or have an international plan. With the lack of free public wi-fi in most places, I struggled with using it in the off-line mode. I would have been much better served with a small paper phrase book. Again, your mileage may vary depending on your tech savvy.
  • If you can, bring a small mat (we used to call them sit-upons in Girl Scouts) as you will be sitting for parades, before rope drop, etc. and may want something between you and the concrete.
  • Bring your patience and politeness. As with most foreign travel, a smile goes a long way. Although I often didn't understand what was being said to me, CMs were universally friendly and somehow we always managed to get the basics. I said "kudasai" (please) and "arigato gozaimasu" (thank you) over and over and was always rewarded with kindness even when the language barrier was quite high.
  • As a solo traveler, I was a bit lonely. I'm used to solo travel to WDW and striking up conversation while standing in line or waiting for parades. This wasn't possible most of the time, so just be prepared for it, or go with someone else.
  • As a pooh-sized traveler, you may experience problems with rides. Not all ride vehicles/restraint systems are the same as in the US parks. Being prepared for it will help you manage it. Cast members were polite about it, and tried to minimize embarrassment, but it was still unnerving to not know what was happening.
  • As an American, I had read many warnings about portion size. Aside from sodas, I never noticed a problem with portions. They didn't seem as big as portions in the US, but I never felt deprived or hungry after finishing. Just as often as not, the portion was too big (Queen of Hearts and Ippudo Ramen) and I had the opportunity to try many delicious snacks that I wouldn't have if I had been eating more like the TS portions at WDW.

TDR was beautiful and I understand why so many think it's the best of the Disney Parks. What I learned on this trip was that it's the memories of Disney that make it so special to me. From a sentimental viewpoint, nothing will ever be able to top the visits to WDW as a small child with my grandmother, or later my great-uncle who had been a CM in charge of topiary growth since WDW opened. What I love about solo travel to WDW is that it feels like home- like sliding into a comfortable pair of slippers. What I disliked about TDR was not having someone by my side to share the excitement of a new park with. There were so many times I thought about my family and Disney-fan friends and wished they had been there to share it with me. It just wasn't the same without them. That said, I would encourage any Disney fan to find a way to go to TDR. You won't regret it.

Thank you to everyone who read this Trip Report, and special thanks to those who commented. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll happily try to answer.

Thank you. I'm sad your report is at an end too, but luckily I have my trip to look forward to.
One question; I hadn't heard about the monorail passes. Is it that if you buy 3 single day passes then you get a free pin? And you also get your passes back to keep? Is it much more expensive this way? We will need the monorail over 3 days. I do love the pin!

Thank you. I'm sad your report is at an end too, but luckily I have my trip to look forward to.
One question; I hadn't heard about the monorail passes. Is it that if you buy 3 single day passes then you get a free pin? And you also get your passes back to keep? Is it much more expensive this way? We will need the monorail over 3 days. I do love the pin!

Thanks Agent 86 for the link to the directions on TDRExplorer! A few more details for aussie shaz.

Single ride tickets for adults were 260 yen. The first day I rode to the park & back to the hotel= 520 yen. The second day I rode to the park, to Ipskiari, and back to the hotel = 780 yen. The third day I rode to the park and back to the hotel = 520 yen. The fourth day I rode to the park, to Ipskiari, back to the park, over to the other park, and then back to the hotel = 1300 yen. The last day I rode to Ipskiari & back to the hotel = 520 yen. So if I had just paid per ride, I would have spent 3640 yen on the monorail.

1 day all you can ride passes were 650 yen. Over the course of 5 days that equaled 3250 yen. A savings off the per-ride price, but still expensive.

A 4 day all you can ride pass was 1400 yen. Even adding another 1 day all you can ride pass, you get a total of 2150 yen. That's over a 1000 yen difference from buying 5 one-day passes.

What I ended up doing was a combination of day passes, using up the money I had put on my Suica card to get into Tokyo & back, and single ride tickets. I really wanted the pin, so paying the extra was worth it for me. But since I was traveling solo, it wasn't a huge difference. If you had a bunch of people, it could really start adding up, so you might want to think about only doing the day passes for one person to get the pin and doing the 3 or 4 day passes for everyone else to save money.

Hope that helps. And I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. The information was so valuable to me planning a trip. I am even more excited now and can't wait to go research that pin. That pin is just too cute!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter