Please Tell Me About Your Cataracts Removal Experience

From everything I've read, there's no difference in outcome between the two methods--laser or scalpel. I can't imagine that there's any difference in a need for glasses afterward--that seems to be dependent on your eyes (astigmatism, etc.) and the type of lens you get (regular, toric, or multifocal), not the type of surgery performed.

But of course I'm not an expert so I could be wrong!
I read that too. And truthfully, I was going to go with the traditional one. But DH had done the "laser assisted" and wanted me to also. He usually lets me decide, but he went to my pre surgery appointment. Didn't really know about the glasses for sure, and frankly, having worn glasses since I was 7, and bifocals for about 20 years, this isn't always an advantage.
I also had to go back the day after the surgery just for a check-up-using eye drops so much was probably the only inconvenience.

No, I'm saying that even using the three times a day, I still got an infection that I would be reticent to just go with one. That is all. It might be just as likely one way of the other. Just be careful about what you eyes get touched by or near. Trust me, you do not want an eye infection. Just ask you Doctor about why they want you to use the three times a day instead of the one once a day. They might have a good reason and if you still want to go with the later, then just be careful about touching you eyelids or anywhere around you eyes at all.
Just to be clear, my eye doctor offered me both choices and had absolutely zero preference for one over the other.

To update: I had my right eye done yesterday. Unfortunately, somehow my cornea got scratched, so now I'm dealing with that. And, no I did not touch my eye or let anything anywhere near it. The patch thing was on it all day. The scratch occurred in the hospital. The eye surgeon isn't sure how it happened but is confident it will be resolved soon. In the meanwhile, my vision is still blurred, so fingers crossed there. Until my vision in this eye resolves, I'm not going to have the left eye done since I can't risk having my vision impaired in both eyes at the same time. I guess this explains why they do only one eye at a time.

I'll report back with future outcomes. Just block me if you'd rather not hear. I mean, I'm not sure I'd want to hear about this.

Thanks for the update, Miffy. That scratch will come along, you'll be ready for your second eye in no time. Good to see you were able to type out your post above, good sign.

Going for my pre-surgery visit today, explanation, measurements, etc. Surgery scheduled early Monday.

Thanks for the update, Miffy. That scratch will come along, you'll be ready for your second eye in no time. Good to see you were able to type out your post above, good sign.

Going for my pre-surgery visit today, explanation, measurements, etc. Surgery scheduled early Monday.
Best of luck to you, too, Dan.

BTW, I'm able to type out my posts because my left eye is totally fine. If I were depending on my right eye--the one that was operated on--I wouldn't be able to even read the DIS.

I would like to reassure you, though, that the surgery itself is pretty much nothing. There's zero pain or discomfort, and it goes very quickly. It's the pre-op prep and the waiting, waiting, waiting that's time-consuming and often very boring.

Just to be clear, my eye doctor offered me both choices and had absolutely zero preference for one over the other.

To update: I had my right eye done yesterday. Unfortunately, somehow my cornea got scratched, so now I'm dealing with that. And, no I did not touch my eye or let anything anywhere near it. The patch thing was on it all day. The scratch occurred in the hospital. The eye surgeon isn't sure how it happened but is confident it will be resolved soon. In the meanwhile, my vision is still blurred, so fingers crossed there. Until my vision in this eye resolves, I'm not going to have the left eye done since I can't risk having my vision impaired in both eyes at the same time. I guess this explains why they do only one eye at a time.

I'll report back with future outcomes. Just block me if you'd rather not hear. I mean, I'm not sure I'd want to hear about this.
Hear about it? I've lived it, but all came out well in the end. It's a bit frustrating, but just stay patient it will get better.

I have one question about the eye drops. If there is no difference between those two regiments, why even offer the two choices? Why not just offer the simpler one and not make a stressful situation more stressful? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why there needs to be a choice.

Anyway, experience tells me that it may take a little time, but it all works out in the end. In spite of the few problems I had, I would do it all again because the end result is so worth it.

Good luck Dan. Seeing clearly is like a whole new exciting experience. More or less like getting a new set of eyes. The big difference, other than the brighter colors, was that my night vision was so much better.

Haven’t needed it yet myself but drove my best friend to her surgeries. She said it was easy-peasy. Only took a couple hours each time. I did help her back to the car by letting her hold my arm. She took eye drops many times a day for about a month after. She never complained about pain but the first eye remained blurry for longer than she thought but it has cleared up. She is surprised by how much more vibrant colors are since the surgeries.

Good luck Dan! Please let us know how you’re doing!

When I was a kid and up until recently it was major surgery. Now quite modern and much improved no where near as drastic.
All the best Dan.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest