Please suggest resort for large group

Rschall

Can’t wait to go back!
What resort would be best? It will be myself, my partner, our three children age 14, 10 and 3. And my partner's mother who will need a quiet place to rest in the afternoon. It would be good to have a place to make food as well as we are a large group. Do you think onsite or offsite would be best? I feel to be close would be easier thank you

So many things to factor but #1 to help is what is your nightly budget for your hotel?

You could do 2 rooms at a moderate, Port Orleans. They have rooms that sleep 5, 2 queens and a Murphy bed, and your partners mom can have her own room.
I think onsite would work better because of Disney Transportation. If mother in law needs to go back to the room to rest, and maybe you and the little one you can do it. If you are offsite everyone has to leave. You have much more freedom of movement on site. Family members can come and go as needed.

Well, how comfortable are all the members of your party with sharing sleeping spaces?

One option could be to get a 2 bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts. Maybe with you and your partner in the master bedroom, and perhaps your 3 year old sharing with both of you? Then Grandma and the older kids in the 2nd bedroom, with the kids sharing one of the queen beds and grandma in her own?
And if that sleeping arrangement doesn't work, there is also a sleeper sofa in the living area that you can work with.

But of course, it all depends on how comfortable the family is with sharing spaces.

Oh I'm sorry budget would be helpful! $500 a night we can go a bit higher if we need to. I would like to be all together if possible

You could do 2 rooms at a moderate, Port Orleans. They have rooms that sleep 5, 2 queens and a Murphy bed, and your partners mom can have her own room.
I think onsite would work better because of Disney Transportation. If mother in law needs to go back to the room to rest, and maybe you and the little one you can do it. If you are offsite everyone has to leave. You have much more freedom of movement on site. Family members can come and go as needed.

You are so right. I did not think about leaving with her. The buses will be helpful if we split up

Well, how comfortable are all the members of your party with sharing sleeping spaces?

One option could be to get a 2 bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts. Maybe with you and your partner in the master bedroom, and perhaps your 3 year old sharing with both of you? Then Grandma and the older kids in the 2nd bedroom, with the kids sharing one of the queen beds and grandma in her own?
And if that sleeping arrangement doesn't work, there is also a sleeper sofa in the living area that you can work with.

But of course, it all depends on how comfortable the family is with sharing spaces.

Grandma will need her own bed but other than that we are all flexible with sleeping. It would be nice for her to have her own ensuite for peace and quiet

If budget isn't too much of an issue, a 2-bedroom at any DVC would work well for your group. You would get two bedrooms, plus a living room with a pull-out sofa and two bathrooms plus a full kitchen and a washer/dryer. The 2-bedrooms at SSR and OKW will price out the cheapest, but they still aren't inexpensive. I think after that, your best bet would be a family suite at either AoA or ASMu where you will a bedroom, a living area with pull-outs, two bathrooms and a microwave and fridge. Two rooms at a moderate would give you two bathrooms and 4 queen beds, though connecting would not be guaranteed and there would be no kitchen facilities.

Be aware that at OKW the 2nd bedroom will have 2 queen beds while at SSR it will have one queen and one sofa bed (can’t remember whether double or queen) in that bedroom as well as another sleeper sofa in the living room. You’d have a full kitchen as well as W/D in either one.

It depends on if you get a dedicated 2 bedroom, or if it is a 1 bedroom/studio combined as a 2 bedroom. Only the dedicated 2 bedroom rooms have 2 queen beds instead of a pull out couch.

It depends on if you get a dedicated 2 bedroom, or if it is a 1 bedroom/studio combined as a 2 bedroom. Only the dedicated 2 bedroom rooms have 2 queen beds instead of a pull out couch.

At OKW all the studios have 2 queens. I believe it’s the only DVC resort where that is the case.

For comparison a 2 bedroom at Wilderness Lodge Boulder Ridge lowest season rack rate is $1042/night and Old Key West lowest season price is $752. Low season is 8/24 - 9/20
For those dates at POR rack rate is $244 rack rate, so $488 for 2 rooms.
I’m not sure what time of year you plan on going, but this gives you a general idea. These are just rack rates, at certain times of the year Disney does put out room discounts.

If you are unfamiliar with WDW, I would recommend using a Disney specialized TA, to help navigate planning your vacation. Also do your research. I highly recommend Disney World The Unofficial Guide book.

Thank you so much everyone. It sounds like OKW could be a good pick? We do need the space and kitchen but we do have a budget unfortunately! :) I look at the other prices and they look too high for us. Thank you again I will try that one for sure

Old key West is on my "bucket list" of resorts I really want to try! I haven't stayed there yet, but I've heard they are the most spacious of the DVC units, and the master bathroom has a jetted tub! I hope you have a great trip!

Thank you so much everyone. It sounds like OKW could be a good pick? We do need the space and kitchen but we do have a budget unfortunately! :) I look at the other prices and they look too high for us. Thank you again I will try that one for sure
Budget wise 2 rooms at POR would be a lot less than a 2 bdrm at OKW. By about $264. You can request connecting rooms.

Budget wise 2 rooms at POR would be a lot less than a 2 bdrm at OKW. By about $264. You can request connecting rooms.
I guess it would come down to how much a specific family values things like a kitchen, living area, in room laundry, and a private balcony/patio?

It is so nice to have your own kitchen, laundry and a nice living area.

I have not rented points before, but that might be a good idea to save some money.

One word of warning. OKW has very few buildings that have elevators. If you get a second or third floor villa, you'll probably be using the stairs. If you are hauling a stroller up and down stairs, that might be a turn off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter