• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plantar fasciitis??

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/205/

This is my doctor in the video. He helped me through some tough PF from running marathons. This guy is brilliant and works with a lot of UNC athletes. Watch his video on planter fasciitis . Another DIS poster watched it a year ago and sent me a private message saying it was the best advice she was given. Good luck!!!

I had a bout of PF last year. One of the things that helped was a well cushioned heel. I got the Crocs duet flip flops. They had decent arch support and the Crocs cushioning really helped with the pain directly in my heel.

You should look into king brand healthcare products. I have had PF for roughly 4 months now and have been treating with king brands bfst foot wrap for about a month and a half. I must say I was in the same boat, so much pain and DIScomfort. I was told to stretch and wear nights splints but nothing worked only made it worse. I tried cortisone and regret it greatly, because the pain was gone for about a 3 week period but then returned 10 fold. When I started using bfst and their cold wrap, I have noticed such a difference in my step, next to zero arch pain, a little heel pain and no more morning pain. I find the treatments very simple and effective.

I hope this helps.

I had it too. Came on suddenly and over time with some of the measures mentioned it went away.

One exercise that really helped me was mentioned by a DISer. It helped so much, especially if I was out and about and had a flare up. If you can find some steps, put your toes on the edge of a step. Drop your heels and hold that position for a count of about 10. Rise up to where yor foot is level with your toes. Repeat. Do this cycle for about 10 times. Really stretches out the muscles. I got immediate relief. Great when you are away from home.

Hope your DD feels better soon!

Thanks for all the advice you guys! Dd has seen a podiatrist....he xrayed the foot and diagnosed. Told her to ice just the heel and to get some food athletic shoes. She's doing the stretches which seem to help. She had a much better night...thank heaven. The anti-inflammatory is probably kicking in.
I'll be checking out all the links you gave me....thanks again

Thanks for all the advice you guys! Dd has seen a podiatrist....he xrayed the foot and diagnosed. Told her to ice just the heel and to get some food athletic shoes. She's doing the stretches which seem to help. She had a much better night...thank heaven. The anti-inflammatory is probably kicking in.
I'll be checking out all the links you gave me....thanks again

FYI, I went to 3 doctors before I got actual REAL help for my foot.

Let just say my experience has opened my eyes to finding someone who gives a crap.:headache:

Really push for PT and/or orthotics if the stretching and meds do not work.

The reason you do not want to blow this off is because the next phase of this mess is heel spurs and baby you do not want those.

So please keep that in mind as an FYI.

I got PF at a relatively young age too (24). Thanks to my job, concrete floors are awful for feet! I would wake up and be limping from the horrible pain in my foot, and the pain was constant. I went to a podiatrist. I started icing and stretching the foot 2x daily, it was not enough. Two cortisone shots into the heel later, (which if the pain does not subside after a while, I would recommend) he gave me a night splint, which has helped tremendously (get high socks to wear with it so it doesn't bother as much). It's a battle to get to place wear it is no longer a constant pain. Took me about a year to get it so it does not hurt.

What also helped in the long run. THE RIGHT SHOES!! It pained me to give up my heels (I prided myself in my 4 inch heels and rocked em!) My heels now are 2 1/2 inches tops, flats or crappy sneakers that I can't part with (like converse or keds) get the expensive shoe inserts (another investment she should buy). But the biggest help was for most of the time, wearing good sneakers. Asics or brooks, though more expensive than nike or adidas, are WELL WORTH THE COST! Yes, I miss wearing flats and awesome heels, but I also like not being in pain. Good luck, I know PF ain't fun!

Well, dd has discovered that good 'sneakers' aren't the bane of her existence!! She put some good Saucony sneaks on and her face lit up! They were in a color she loves...added bonus. Also found some 'somewhat' inexpensive inserts to see if they help in her other shoes. The anti-inflammatory is finally kicking in. She is doing stretches...every few hours! Got the night splint yesterday and it is all adjusted to her foot! She decided to try the night without it, so we shall see what happens.
thanks for all the advice...I truly appreciate it. Here's hoping she can go back to school next week feeling better and better equipped to keep her feet healthy!!!

Well, dd has discovered that good 'sneakers' aren't the bane of her existence!! She put some good Saucony sneaks on and her face lit up! They were in a color she loves...added bonus. Also found some 'somewhat' inexpensive inserts to see if they help in her other shoes. The anti-inflammatory is finally kicking in. She is doing stretches...every few hours! Got the night splint yesterday and it is all adjusted to her foot! She decided to try the night without it, so we shall see what happens. thanks for all the advice...I truly appreciate it. Here's hoping she can go back to school next week feeling better and better equipped to keep her feet healthy!!!
My almost 10 year daughter has had plantar fasciitis since she was 7. She is a competitive dancer and spends hours on the hard dance floor every week. Hands down the best treatment for her has been good shoes with arch support inserts. She wears saucony shoes more than anything else.....she would like to wear more variety but her feet aren't big enough for adult sizes, and she also like me has a very narrow foot (probably does not help her issues)....she went from daily unending pain to just occasional flare ups now, but if she goes too long without supportive footwear she goes back to constant pain. There are quite a few good supportive shoes in all different styles in adult sizes, gone are the days of cheap flip flops and ballet flats, but the good thing is good shoes really do work! Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Just wanted to come back and give an update. Dd wore her new sneakers and found them to help. The day after we for those shoes, I decided to stop off at the local running shop. I got some wonderful service there, so thought they might have some inserts. Well.....food thing I stopped. The owner listened to dd's issues. He recommended a particular insert. Then he asked me if dd 'pronates'.....told him that she had always had a very strange gait but no one had ever said anything about it. Not even the podiatrist. The shop owner had her put her shoes back on, without the inserts he had given her in them. He had her go out and walk down the sidewalk while he watched her from behind. His comment? 'Look Mom....look at that right ankle..it's collapsing. No one has ever mentioned to you? She is hugely pronating!' Well......not so happy with the podiatrist, that's for sure. So, we go back in the shop. He puts the original inserts back. Pulls out another pair, and has her put them in her shoes, and walk again. You could see the difference! Her ankle was much better. Then he told me he wanted to see her walk in a 'stability' shoe (probably another name for very expensive shoe!!). He said he completely understood that I wanted her to wear the inserts before spending the money on expensive shoes, but he wanted her to see how a really good shoe feels. She put the shoes on and couldn't believe how they felt.
Long story short?she wears the sneakers we originally bought and puts inserts in her shoes...no walking around barefoot. She is still taking the anti-inflammatory. She is almost pain free! Oh, she did wear the night splint to bed one night but her foot felt crappy and woke her up around 4...but she wore it!
Thanks for all the insights and advice. It truly helped.

Just wanted to come back and give an update. Dd wore her new sneakers and found them to help. The day after we for those shoes, I decided to stop off at the local running shop. I got some wonderful service there, so thought they might have some inserts. Well.....food thing I stopped. The owner listened to dd's issues. He recommended a particular insert. Then he asked me if dd 'pronates'.....told him that she had always had a very strange gait but no one had ever said anything about it. Not even the podiatrist. The shop owner had her put her shoes back on, without the inserts he had given her in them. He had her go out and walk down the sidewalk while he watched her from behind. His comment? 'Look Mom....look at that right ankle..it's collapsing. No one has ever mentioned to you? She is hugely pronating!' Well......not so happy with the podiatrist, that's for sure. So, we go back in the shop. He puts the original inserts back. Pulls out another pair, and has her put them in her shoes, and walk again. You could see the difference! Her ankle was much better. Then he told me he wanted to see her walk in a 'stability' shoe (probably another name for very expensive shoe!!). He said he completely understood that I wanted her to wear the inserts before spending the money on expensive shoes, but he wanted her to see how a really good shoe feels. She put the shoes on and couldn't believe how they felt.
Long story short?she wears the sneakers we originally bought and puts inserts in her shoes...no walking around barefoot. She is still taking the anti-inflammatory. She is almost pain free! Oh, she did wear the night splint to bed one night but her foot felt crappy and woke her up around 4...but she wore it!

That is good but kind in mind that this is just fixing the symptoms and not the actual problem that is causing the PF.

In order to be healed you have to do physical therapy/exercising. You have to strengthen your ankles, quads, core, and tons of stretching.

Not easy...now off to Pilates class I go.;)

That is good but kind in mind that this is just fixing the symptoms and not the actual problem that is causing the PF.

In order to be healed you have to do physical therapy/exercising. You have to strengthen your ankles, quads, core, and tons of stretching.

Not easy...now off to Pilates class I go.;)

You're right, absolutely right. As long as she wears the inserts now, we can deal with p/t and such this summer, when she's home.

I had a similar experience. I purchased the Brooks addiction running shoe (stabilizer). Made a world of difference.

You're right, absolutely right. As long as she wears the inserts now, we can deal with p/t and such this summer, when she's home.

Good luck. I am glad she got inserts and is getting relief.:goodvibes

I would really push for custom inserts at some point in time down the road. They last forever. I have them and they really help so much.

Also do the golf ball under the foot. It is very important to get rid of the scar tissue.

goofy4tink -- can you tell us which brand/style "stability" shoe the running shop owner recommended/put her in?

I have this condition, myself... it was so bad at one point, I couldn't walk at the end of the day without a cane. These are things that have worked for me...

Do the towel stretch (http://rhvillegas.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/nr551469.jpg) in the morning, first thing. And do it once again right before you hit the hay. 1 minute, each foot.

Anti-inflammatory pills are a must. But don't depend on them, or they start losing effect. Ice works, too!

Don't lean on the problem foot. When I stand still, I lean to the left, which is my problem foot. Learn to stand straight.

Sit down if you have been standing for a long time, and stand up if you have been sitting for a while. Stretch.

P/F is REALLY hard to get rid of, because we have to walk so much. The best thing to do is stretch it all the time, ice it, take those anti-inflammatory pills, and elevate the problem foot whenever you can.

Also, if you are overweight, losing those extra pounds will help.

goofy4tink -- can you tell us which brand/style "stability" shoe the running shop owner recommended/put her in?

Sorry, I have no idea. They were a pretty, sparkly purple pair!!! I didn't ask him what the brand was since I had no plans to buy them. I'll probably go back this spring and get her a pair.
She is doing the stretches every day! So far, so good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter