Planning a graduation party on a budget

The biggest mistake I made last year for DDs party was food. People hardly ate and there was sooooo much left over. She warned me people wouldn’t eat much because they hop around from party to party plus they usually have a nice meal with their extended families (like we did) but I didn’t listen. So if you think that applies to your guests, just beware.
The biggest hit was the chocolate fountain. I ordered it from Walmart for about $25. They LOVED it! It is pretty much all they ate. Ha!
Our grocery stores have frozen gluten free desserts. My SIL always grabs them for my nephew with celiac when they visit. You could get some of those on the side.
Can you make the pulled chicken in an instant pot or crock pot? It would be super easy!

That decor is tough. I think I’d go with Gerber daisies (bright colors) in mason jars (12 for $10 at Walmart) and do burlap table runners etc. Throw in some white lace. Check Costco and sams for flowers. I ordered online and had delivered 2 days before. Assemble morning of and done. Check hobby lobby and Walmart for the rest of the decor...burlap, lace, etc.
To save $$, order balloons online. There is a great selection. Then get the $30 helium tank and blow them up yourself.

Have fun!

This is good thinking, and I can imagine that after party hopping, they may not have much appetite. We are expecting about 100'ish (so far) and about half are other grads/students but half are not (just fam/friends) so I need to make sure I have enough but not too much...

How many flowers did you do and where?

Where do you get the $30 helium tank? Who do you order the balloons from?

Love it! Thank you :) Any ideas for buying guac in bulk reasonably, or should I just make it??

I'll jump in - I think I'd skip the guac b/c if you make it yourself, it doesn't keep more than hours and if you buy it, it's expensive...and you said you have a budget...

Instead, since you have the vegans, I'd have a black bean or vegan refried bean option, in addition to veg, for a protein push for them...

Plus, I'd do either a vegan spanish rice (https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spanish_rice/ - use veg broth) or just plain white rice, so folks (GF) have a 2nd option for their tacos over tortillas...

Bonus, if you have the beans, rice, and planned veg, you literally don't need to make anything more for the main course meal...then you're just planning dessert...

I think I've seen large batches at Costco. You can easily make it in advance. Here's the method I use to keep it green. If cost is a concern I've seen less expensive avocados at Mexican groceries.

I love the taco bar idea. I get all my decorations and balloons from the dollar tree. The dollar tree will do balloon bouquets for you in any color. Plates, napkins etc. I would buy plastic silverware at Sams, Large can of baked beans, potato salad, tortilla chips and salsa. I hear Costco has amazing cakes with filling in the middle. Lots of people are now doing cookies instead of cake. I know for a lot of my cousins who have graduated everyone chipped in and made homemade bars and cut them into small squares and that served a lot of people. Buy table cloths at Dollar Tree along with decorations. I have done bridal showers and baby showers by only using the Dollar tree. Never felt bad when everything went into the trash. Have fun and stick to that budget.

Also depending on when your party is, places will start to mark their decorations down. I bought one of those banners with the triangle pieces for next to nothing, but wow, what a pain that was to put together!

I'll jump in - I think I'd skip the guac b/c if you make it yourself, it doesn't keep more than hours and if you buy it, it's expensive...and you said you have a budget...

Instead, since you have the vegans, I'd have a black bean or vegan refried bean option, in addition to veg, for a protein push for them...

Plus, I'd do either a vegan spanish rice (https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spanish_rice/ - use veg broth) or just plain white rice, so folks (GF) have a 2nd option for their tacos over tortillas...

Bonus, if you have the beans, rice, and planned veg, you literally don't need to make anything more for the main course meal...then you're just planning dessert...

I was planning to just do whole black beans. You think a refried black bean would be better? I was contemplating a cilantro lime rice also but cilantro is hit and miss with people so I'll go with your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

I was planning to just do whole black beans. You think a refried black bean would be better? I was contemplating a cilantro lime rice also but cilantro is hit and miss with people so I'll go with your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

I think either would be fine - just having the bean option is enough:).

(You can find vegan refried black beans in canned form that are good to go from the can, so it becomes a very simple option...and I do love simple:))

I think either would be fine - just having the bean option is enough:).

(You can find vegan refried black beans in canned form that are good to go from the can, so it becomes a very simple option...and I do love simple:))

I know they have the refried canned black beans...I just don't like them much...I prefer whole beans (I eat a lot of beans lol). And I buy a lot of canned beans (as well as cook from dried) so it's not the canned thing that I dislike. But you suggesting them made me wonder if others prefer refried more. I certainly want to offer what others prefer and is easiest to serve. And yes, simple is good. It's very good :)

I know they have the refried canned black beans...I just don't like them much...I prefer whole beans (I eat a lot of beans lol). And I buy a lot of canned beans (as well as cook from dried) so it's not the canned thing that I dislike. But you suggesting them made me wonder if others prefer refried more. I certainly want to offer what others prefer and is easiest to serve. And yes, simple is good. It's very good :)

I'd go with the whole bean option rather than refried. Also, I would make sure there was some sort of dessert for the vegans other than fruit. Do you do much baking? You could bake some DF/GF/V cookies & that would cover your guest's allergies. Love the taco bar idea - brilliant!

I'd go with the whole bean option rather than refried. Also, I would make sure there was some sort of dessert for the vegans other than fruit. Do you do much baking? You could bake some DF/GF/V cookies & that would cover your guest's allergies. Love the taco bar idea - brilliant!

So, right now, the dessert options I have on my list is a cake (dairy and gluten infested), df/gf cupcakes, vegan cookies, and a candy bar which will be df/gf/vegan other than 1 candy (out of 5). Seems balanced to me. Do I need fruit still? Doing a veggie tray also.

So, right now, the dessert options I have on my list is a cake (dairy and gluten infested), df/gf cupcakes, vegan cookies, and a candy bar which will be df/gf/vegan other than 1 candy (out of 5). Seems balanced to me. Do I need fruit still? Doing a veggie tray also.

I'd skip the veg tray if you are doing the veg on the taco bar the 1st poster suggested...if you are not, yeah I'd have one (but I think the PP's veg just sounds great and will make the Mexican sing and can be prepped ahead:))

I'd also skip having any candy but vegan candy (since chocolate is gonna melt anyway, so if there's no chocolate, there's no point...that's just me saying it:).

I would do the fruit tray. Fruit is very popular with folks and early summer fruit is incredible. Last year, at a party, I did 7lbs of strawberries (2lbs), blueberries (2lbs), and grapes (3 lbs) for just 20 people (after they'd eaten a 4 course meal)...and it was gone. It seems fruit will go no matter how full folks are.

If you think it's too much dessert, I'd find a way to make either the cupcakes also vegan or the cookies also dairy/gluten free and drop 1. You don't need both there, especially with cake - you just need the "substantive sugar option" and the "fresh option" for all the folks.

PS - And if you like whole black beans better, totally do them:). Folks will like them just as much (and you get the leftovers, so always make what you like:)...speaking of leftovers, it's why I like the fruit better than the veg for a tray. You leave it in the fridge and only refill as needed. Fruit uneaten left out can get dropped right in a crisp or put in a muffin and fruit in the fridge can get eaten as is and/or dropped in a smoothie (EASIEST leftover use ever) that everyone loves. Watermelon and strawberry make a killer smoothie, as does blueberry strawberry or even mango and pineapple (if you wanna match the dinner a little:))...

Last edited:

I think you should choose either a fruit or a veggie tray, ya probably don't need both with a big beautiful taco bar & dessert selection! @TwoMisfits makes some good points! Can't wait to hear how your party turns out! :)

My husband is vegan. Here are two really good and cheap to make recipes that both vegans and non vegans would like:

chocolate cake: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/1...ub recipe&referringContentType=search results
I usually use store bought icing. I can't remember if it's Pillsbury or Duncan hines, but one of them has icings that are technically vegan

refried beans that you can make in a crockpot: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7...ub recipe&referringContentType=search results

One other suggestion is if you do a taco bar, which I think is a good suggestion, group the non dairy/vegan toppings next to each other and the dairy next to each other so that people don't "contaminate" the vegan toppings by dropping things like shredded cheese into them.

OP, I was in my dollar tree today. I was so surprised at the really nice grad decor they had this year. The one near us always stocks stuff in green and white and purple and gold for our 2 local high schools in the spring. They also had some really great yard signs, banners, etc.

OP, I was in my dollar tree today. I was so surprised at the really nice grad decor they had this year. The one near us always stocks stuff in green and white and purple and gold for our 2 local high schools in the spring. They also had some really great yard signs, banners, etc.

I actually got a lot of fun stuff yesterday!! I love the Dollar Tree for stuff like this :) A lot was already really picked over though so I'm glad I got mine already. I overbought but can always return.

I agree with a PP about letting family help if they want. I'm throwing my son a graduation party in June. It's a pretty big party and costing me and his father a pretty penny but I'm really saving on food since family has volunteered to cook. I offered to pay them for the ingredients but most refused. I'm going to spend about $300ish out of pocket for food and that'll serve over 125 people. Thanks to family helping!

My dd wants a theme with bright colors but also 'farmhouse' style. Is that even doable? What colors look good with farmhouse?

I think a bright coral color with ivory lace could be classy and match with the farmhouse/rustic look. You could probably find some lace tablecloths at a thrift store pretty cheap. I also love graduation parties that showcase all graduate’s the school pictures. You could do a banner or clothesline and hang her pictures above your candy bar. :)

Wow! My DD is just finishing up the 8th grade but I'm loving all these ideas--getting excited about throwing her a grad party in four years! It would not surprise my husband at all to see me start stockpiling party supplies this far in advance, unfortunately.

Speaking of stockpiling, BargainBallons.com has awesome deals on balloons if you're not too picky, and good deals even if you are. The only drawback is they have a $7.92 flat shipping rate, so if you're only buying a few it's not worth it. I usually plan out my balloon needs for the year and order all at once. This means my kids have to choose their birthday party themes for the next year well in advance, but they don't mind and this means I can pick up party supplies throughout the year as I come across them/find good deals. I buy helium tanks at Wal-mart, but if anyone knows somewhere cheaper I'd love to hear about it!

When you buy uninflated mylar balloons the instructions will tell you not to use the typical helium tanks you can buy in the stores, that they need to be inflated with the industrial kind of tank that has the small "needle-" like device that fits into the insertion point. But this isn't true; you can use regular helium tanks. Just be careful not to over-inflate. Just work the black plastic nozzle of the helium tank gently into the circular hole in the tab on the bottom of the balloon and inflate it. You may have to kind of hold the balloon shut tight around the nozzle to keep all the helium in as the mylar isn't stretchy like the latex and won't fit tight around the nozzle. When the balloon is full, gently work the balloon off the nozzle and press the hole closed (most have a bit of "sticky" for this) and then tie the bottom in a knot-- or if it doesn't have the "sticky" just tie the knot. This is easy and saves a lot of money over buying balloons, even at Dollar Tree. Plus, you have a much wider selection available to you by buying uninflated balloons online. There are other website besides BargainBalloons, and also Amazon has a ton. You might want to use Amazon to save on shipping if you're not buying for the year like I do, haha. Oh, and they are also re-usable! You can gently express the air and put them away for future re-inflation for a later use. Of course, you're not likely to want to re-use most themed balloons. I tease my kids that someday I'm going to throw them a Ghost of Birthdays Past party and just re-use all the old party supplies I couldn't bear to throw away. So it would be a Lego/Harry Potter/American Girl/Skylanders/ etc etc etc party. But graduation balloons would be re-usable, and don't you have four children, @wendow?!

I also wanted to say that since my son and daughter have several friends who can't have gluten, I usually make one gluten-free batch of cupcakes and decorate them differently so they can be identified. I usually decorate all the cupcakes in several different styles, so the children don't feel "different" having to choose the one that is designated gluten-free. It's not like there is a separate plate of "special" cupcakes just for them, they just know to choose one of the gluten free batch. Sometimes I will have a small cake as the centerpiece--this give you a larger canvas for writing or a picture or just more elaborate decoration, plus it serves as a focal point--and then arrange the cupcakes around it. The party guests eat the cupcakes, and then later we have a private family celebration and enjoy the small cake.

Your party sounds amazing and you're getting some great ideas from everyone here! It sounds like your daughter really deserves this and it must feel nice to be able to make her happy!

I'm feeling all weepy thinking about this graduation stuff now that my son is already graduated. Not to mention facebook memories popping up. What a magical and special time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter