Plan Ahead with Lightning Lane Entry at Walt Disney World Starting July 24

Another strategy idea. Unsure if this would work.
For example MK...
Book your one tier one LL attraction for whenever and the other two LL can be for anything with a quick return time, so that it expires early. Prefferably something that wouldn't need LL or would have short Stand by waits later.

Then as the low tier LLs expire you should be able to book 1 and even 2 LL at any tier.
Then modify the LL until you find the return time you want.
There is no indication that having one expire will let you book another. It works that way for Genie+, but I believe you had to tap in for Fastpass+. If you are going to be in the park early, you could book something early even if it won't have a long line and tap into it (even if you don't ride it right away and ride it standby later).

EDIT: See Post 908 on page 43 for website language that indicates having one expire may let you book another.

Last edited:

It says only Advance Bookings are subject to tiers
What if you only book 1 LL -- say Big Thunder at 9am. As soon as you tap in, does this mean you can try to grab Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan and Space Mountain?
Another question based on the above question: What if you had 3 LL, a Tier 1 and two Tier 2. After you tap in for a Tier 2, can you book a Tier 1? Or do you have to wait until the original Tier 1 is redeemed?
Can I hypothetically have Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, and Space Mountain all lined up?

Trying to figure out if I missed some verbiage…

Is this like Genie+ in that you can purchase at midnight and then start booking at 7 AM ET?

I’m just hoping there are clear instructions before 7/24. I don’t want to miss out on getting the LLs I want.

Trying to figure out if I missed some verbiage…

Is this like Genie+ in that you can purchase at midnight and then start booking at 7 AM ET?

I’m just hoping there are clear instructions before 7/24. I don’t want to miss out on getting the LLs I want.

Guests staying at a Disney Resort hotel and other select hotels will be able to plan Lightning Lane passes up to 7 days in advance, for their entire stay (up to 14 days). All other guests can plan up to 3 days in advance.

7am is when it opens

Phone CMs and chat are notoriously unreliable, even the AP line. I would absolutely not believe a word of that unless and until it’s in writing somewhere on the site. Especially since it would completely fly in the face of how AP resort guests have been handed. This program was just announced today and I doubt they are all up to speed on particulars like this.
Right! This makes no sense. My daughter has an AP and I don't and we are staying at the Beach Club in October. Surely, this is not that uncommon.

Wonder if Disney will ever tier the resorts and the time you can make your LL selections? That could happen in the future if they so choose too.

Guests staying at a Disney Resort hotel and other select hotels will be able to plan Lightning Lane passes up to 7 days in advance, for their entire stay (up to 14 days). All other guests can plan up to 3 days in advance.

7am is when it opens
So we have to race to buy it and then race to get the LLs. I do wish it could at least be purchased before the booking window opens.

I’m stressed about how this is all going to work and not being able to get what I want.

(I realize this is totally first world problems but this isn’t exactly an inexpensive vacation. I just want to feel like I’m not flying blind when I go to make my selections.)

Thoughts on this scenario please...
We check in on 7/21. We have park days planned for 7/22, 7/24, 7/26, and 7/27. The wording is for "stays starting 7/24" or something very similar. Since we are checking in before 7/24, but have three park days planned for 7/24 and after, will we be able to use this new system, just not with 7 days of advance booking?

Wonder if Disney will ever tier the resorts and the time you can make your LL selections? That could happen in the future if they so choose too.
Probably not. If I were Disney and wanted to create deluxe/DVC incentives, I would instead give away 1 day of LL access "free" per X nights at a hotel.

But I don't think they will do anything like that as long as LL is selling well and hotels are booking up. Why would they?

So we have to race to buy it and then race to get the LLs. I do wish it could at least be purchased before the booking window opens.

I’m stressed about how this is all going to work and not being able to get what I want.

(I realize this is totally first world problems but this isn’t exactly an inexpensive vacation. I just want to feel like I’m not flying blind when I go to make my selections.)
My understanding is that you actually do the booking first -- selecting your three rides/times -- and only then check out. I saw a screenshot that said something like "your selections will be held for five minutes" during the checkout process. That way, if the attractions you want aren't available, you can bail without spending a time. It also lets you speed through selections and do the slow part (paying) once those are locked in!

To me, that's one of the biggest improvements here. Too many guests complaining that they paid for Genie+ and didn't get value out of it. Now, guests are only paying after they see the value they will get.

The most salient thing for me right now for the new system is the book #4 after tapping #1. If one can book any tier after first LL, then my strategy would be to book tier 1 for later in the day and something simple for the first LL of the day as early as possible.
If one has to tap the Tier 1 before booking the next Tier 1, then that sets up some cost-benefit balancing. Honestly, forcing a Tier 1 tap before booking the next Tier 1 is probably the fairest, but will probably be too complicated for Disney. So I'm guessing the power users will at least have that throwaway early tap strategy to get access to more Tier 1 as soon as possible.

I enjoyed Genie+ for what it was and have a few fond memories:
We would fly to Orlando with a 7am flight. I would have my phone out, ready to book exactly at 7am (Slinky Dog, since that pushed to the afternoon return times the fastest) then quickly turn off my phone for the flight. After landing I'd turn on my phone and be just a few minutes before the 2hour timer. We booked the next LL and were well on our way to a beautiful afternoon at DHS. It worked perfectly and was an especially great bonus for a travel day.

I wonder what my strategy will be next time I go to WDW. If you view it as a challenge, it can be kind of fun. I do hope that multipass will allow for overlapping return times. That was something about FP+ that required more fiddling and massaging than should have been necessary.

Probably not. If I were Disney and wanted to create deluxe/DVC incentives, I would instead give away 1 day of LL access "free" per X nights at a hotel.

But I don't think they will do anything like that as long as LL is selling well and hotels are booking up. Why would they?
After they went with the evening hours for Deluxe only, I just wondered if they might ever go further with such.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest