Pirate cruise

disnemimi

Mimi to 6 Awesome Grandchildren
I have made reservations for the pirate cruise in September. They serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Is there someone you can call and just order plain peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly) or just plain bread would work? My grandsons are 6 and 5 yrs. and will totally love the adventure, but I am worried about the food. Any help you can give me will be most appreciated.
Thank you.:wave2:
Disnemimi

When my dd4 did this in May, the "pirates" were all given a sack lunch with an "uncrustables" pbj sandwich. Since these are pre-packaged sandwiches, I doubt you will be able to substitute a non-jelly version. My dd was actually way too excited about the whole event to eat anything so she brought almost her whole lunch back with her (we'd also had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare right beforehand so she wasn't exactly starving anyway). There doesn't seem to be any pressure from the CMs to eat their food so maybe you can just plan a big breakfast or a snack when they return if the pbj isn't appealing to your grandsons.

My dd really did enjoy this and we will plan to send her again on another trip - well worth the money and a unique experience as well.

I am sure you could ask. My son can't eat Peanut butter. He doesn't like it because it makes him choke and I think that they gave him a cheese sandwich. I for the life of me cant understand why they serve peanut butter since children who are allergic cant even be around it. When my son was in Nursery school you weren't even allowed to send peanut butter because of the children who are allergic.

oh no... you are kidding... PB and J??? I had told my 4.5yo about this and now to find out he's not going to be able to go b/c they serve PB on the cruise??? why would they do that???

My ds is allergic to nuts and now I have to tell him he can't go look for treasure. that stinks!!!

You can request a cheese sandwhich as I did that for my son. If your child is allergic to peanut butter just let them know when you make a reservation. They will give him a special wristband and make sure he sits away from a child with peanut butter. It is a great time and your children and grandchildren will love it.

My biggest fear though is all those kids with peanut butter breath and peanut residue on their hands and such...... could be a life and death for my ds and I'm just not willing to take a chance :( Still don't get why they do that with so many kids with nut allergies these days!

I am glad to know about the pb&j sandwich. My neice is deathly allergic to peanuts and there is NO WAY she could go on that cruise. With Disney being so accomodating with food allergies I would think they could come up with another kind of sandwich al togehter. When you have someone in your family with an allergy that can kill them especially a child it makes you look at things alot differently. As for my 2 ds's they can't wait to go in November.
Darlene

My son is allergic to peanuts and they did accomodate him with a cheese sandwich. HOwever, my son can be around others that are eating or have eaten peanuts or peanuts butter.

I agree that it is ridiculous in this day and age that they even have peanut butter on this cruise....as most schools nowadays have peanut free tables, as there are alot of children that cannot even be NEAR someone that has eaten peanut butter without having a reaction.

We are fortunate to not have to deal with that....however, I do feel bad for kids that this may exclude.

Originally posted by BitsnBearsMom
My biggest fear though is all those kids with peanut butter breath and peanut residue on their hands and such...... could be a life and death for my ds and I'm just not willing to take a chance :( Still don't get why they do that with so many kids with nut allergies these days!

It looks like we're going to be there at the same time. My son is scheduled for the pirate cruise on Oct 2nd. I'd be willing to call Disney and tell them we'd forgo the snack if that would help. Or if someone has had peanut butter on a previous trip, is that enough to trigger your son's allergy?

Guess I can't count. Looks like we're going to be there a little earlier than you, sorry.

It looks like we're going to be there at the same time. My son is scheduled for the pirate cruise on Oct 2nd. I'd be willing to call Disney and tell them we'd forgo the snack if that would help. Or if someone has had peanut butter on a previous trip, is that enough to trigger your son's allergy?

That's really sweet of you to offer that..... thanks from the bottom of my heart (and my little man's too!!)

He is outgrowing his peanut allergy (went from a +8 at 12months old to a +2 at 4yrs when he was tested in the spring) but once you've seen a little person (or anyone) have an anaphylactic reaction you don't ever want to see that happen again..... scary stuff!!

I wonder if Disney would reconsider the menu on the cruise?? I guess it would take alot of people to call though.

My little guy is a really good sport about being told he can't do things.... but I just hate having to constantly tell him 'no' b/c there are nuts present.

My kids didn't eat on the ship either. I am now wondering if that may have been on purpose. They got handed their lunch bags while walking off - maybe there was a kid so allergic on that trip that they decided to forgo handing out the peanut butter.

For those with kids with severe allergies, it may be worth asking. My kids certainly didn't mind the picnic they ended up having.

That is a bummer. My daughter is also allergic to peanuts and I was hoping she and her sister could do this next year. They recently did the tea party at GF and they no longer serve PB&J because as I was told - too many kids are allergic to the stuff. I was hoping the pirate cruise has forgone the PB&J like the tea party. Bummer... I don't know how good I feel about putting her on a a boat in the middle of the water with twenty something kids around her eating the stuff. :(

Oh, here's an example - TWICE this summer my daughter had a contact reaction. We were at the pool and she was sitting down in a chair. Got up complaining she was itching. Her back was covered in hives! Later, I found peanut shells by the trash can. :(

The other day her Daddy kissed her and he had been at some work dinner that was catered. She broke out in hives on her face! We still don't know what he ate!

Her allergy is getting worse. Just had another RAST test and it more than doubled again.

So yep, the boat thing would freak me out. Maybe they will end up changing like the tea party did.

Just a heads up - My daughter reacted at Boma's even after the chef helped us there. We won't go back to eat there. Too many nut items on their dinner buffet. We had breakfast there.

So what restaurants in Disney don't have alot of nutty items on the menu?? I know all will try and accomodate but it terrifies me having him in a diff country and trying to feed him. At least here at home we know where we can go and the restaurants that we need to bring our own desert to. I guess I'll be doing an awful lot of label reading when I'm at the grocery store too for the 1st week we are in the vacation home (won't dh love that grocery trip... they take way too long!)

My ds worst allergies are to tree nuts (especially cashew's, walnuts, pecans, pistachio's and almonds) and peanut is still there but he is outgrowing it (still need to avoid)

I guess I'll be making sure we are well covered for medical insurance and have an extra script for the epi's with us!!

BitsnBearsMom, you'll be fine. We have gone to WDW a ton of times with her and only once at Boma did she have a small reaction. That restaurant has alot of nut containing dishes. I'm sure it was a cross contamination issue. The chef did get her several items from the back, but it still happened.

Most of the restaurants there are very accommodating and knowledgable. Chef Mickey's and 50's Prime Time are our favs. They always seem to be most helpful. If you make PSs make sure to tell them when you call, they'll give you a number to call before your trip so you can speak to a chef. I must admit it seems to be getting tougher to get hold of someone! But, when you check in they'll have it on the ressie and then mention it again to your host. They will get a chef for you.

Oh wow,
Thank you for all the information. I feel so bad for all these children with peanut allergies. My grandsons just do not like peanut butter, no allergies thank heaven. I will call someone and see about substitutions and let you all know. And good to know that they don't monitor their eating, so they would just not eat the sandwiches. I agree, it does seem strange that the pirate cruise has not corrected this problem since the afternoon tea has addressed this issue of peanut allergies.
Thank you for all your help.
:) Disnemimi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter