Perks using resale points vs direct

bookbabe626

DIS Veteran
So, I just put an offer in on my first resale contract, and I’m just curious, when you own both direct and resale, what direct member perks do and don’t apply when you are staying DVC using the resale points rather than your direct ones? Are there any?

I own a mix and have seen no difference. If you are qualified member you qualify regardless of which points you use. The only exceptions are using resale points at the newest resort, cruise, and I think the Disney Collection of hotels. I'm sure some will correct what I may have wrong or add what I missed.

So, I just put an offer in on my first resale contract, and I’m just curious, when you own both direct and resale, what direct member perks do and don’t apply when you are staying DVC using the resale points rather than your direct ones? Are there any?

You can't use your resale points at Riviera unless they are Riviera points. That's about it as far as I can tell.

Two things in play that sometimes get commingled when they are really different.

Membership extras is a perks program and what gets you access to special events and discounts. If you are eligible for those..DVC Y..then it has not mattered which points you have used to book..some don’t even require you to be staying DVC to access

The second piece is where points are valid for use. That is determined by when and how purchased and have no relation to membership extras.

So, resale points bought after Jan 2019 can not be used at RIV, VDH, and most likely all future resorts, regardless of whether you are eligible for membership extras.

Last edited:

So if we have 150 points direct but use our resale points for a stay, we can still use top of the world lounge??

So if we have 150 points direct but use our resale points for a stay, we can still use top of the world lounge??

Yes as @Sandisw said, having the DVC-Y card is the key to membership perks like Top of the World lounge, no one is checking at the door whether you used resale points for your stay if you have this card.

Yes as @Sandisw said, having the DVC-Y card is the key to membership perks like Top of the World lounge, no one is checking at the door whether you used resale points for your stay if you have this card.
Or if you're even staying at DVC for that visit...just that you're a direct member holder. WDW moonlight magic from my understanding requires a DVC stay associated.

The first DLR MM did not (would be empty with only VGC units available there. That MAY change with VDH opening; but that still isn't enough mass to fill DCA at night so any future MM (if any) probably will be a 'any valid blue card holder' event.

WDW moonlight magic from my understanding requires a DVC stay associated.
Incorrect. All Moonlight Magics are open to all eligible members, but give priority registration to those who have a reservation onsite, regardless of where or how they are paying. Obviously the expectation is you'd be staying with points, but you can be paying cash at the All Stars and still get priority reg. This makes sense-- you're eligible, and you're there. The only exception I'm aware of is that you can't be staying on rented points.

Last edited:
Incorrect. All Moonlight Magics are open to all eligible members, but give priority registration to those who have a reservation onsite, regardless of where or how they are paying. Obviously the expectation is you'd be staying with points, but you can be paying cash at the All Stars and still get priority reg. This makes sense-- you're eligible, and you're there. The only exception I'm aware of is that you can't be staying on rented points.
Thanks for the clarification.

?: Does it ever make it out of priority registration? ie: can non-disney property stay/local members can into MM on a regular basis?

?: Does it ever make it out of priority registration? ie: can non-disney property stay/local members can into MM on a regular basis?

Yes, there were some who were able to get into the May 11th event at HS today...granted, the number that get in without a stay is much smaller than those that have a resort stay.

Some of what you may think of as "perks" go with the room, so even renters get it. It's anyone staying on DVC points, like parking and laundry.

I am local and have gone to MM about 4 times over the past several years, and on none of those occasions was I staying on property; I just went home afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter