• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

So sad and very scary. I had that a fellow freshman pass away, my first year of college that I attended, oh so long ago. One morning, found also having passed away, but not from foul play either. We all were somber for a day or two, and very sad for his family. The school had a service for him, that most of our student body went to. I send my sympathy to that student's family and friends at your kid's college.
I can't even fathom what the student's family is going through. He was from out of state. So a week ago they were dropping him off for this exciting new life experience, and this week they'll be planning a funeral. I can't even think about it without tearing up. I'm sure my DD has heard about it but I haven't had a chance to ask her about it. Thankfully she's coming home this weekend. It will feel good to lay eyes on her and chat about it in person. (She's going to start working a Saturday night shift that will make it harder to get home starting next week, so decided to come home with a friend tonight).

My DS moves in on Tuesday and I am really starting to see his anxiety kick in. I'm not sure if it's good to NOT talk about it, or TO talk about it. The only think he keeps saying is, "I think I made a mistake." Mistake how? Going at all? School choice? Major? He was green! I thought he was going to hurl! But we were in a restaurant so I didn't want to push and then he seemed better once we got home......so tough. He's very shy yet, and introverted. He said he will spend most of his time in his dorm room. I say nothing...

My DS is also shy and introverted and had said several times that he would probably stay in his room a lot. He seemed nervous/anxious the last several days leading up to when he moved, didn't want to talk about anything related to school/dorm/etc, and put starting to pack until about an hour before DH wanted to load the van. He hung with us when we got to campus and did all of the check-in stuff in the field house and didn't want to go to any of the events or meetings for freshmen without us, and I was worried when we left. He has been there a week today and is doing well.

mom2rtk, how sad. I can't even imagine what that poor family is going through.

I'm glad to hear that move in has seemed to go well for everyone and good luck to those who will be moving their child in soon. It can be hard in the beginning, especially for the less outgoing kids, but hopefully all of our kids will find their "people" soon.

We were at US/WDW until the 17th, then got home, did much laundry, and packed DS up. We left before the crack of dawn on the 21st to get to PA by 11:00 for our move in time slot. The process was pretty smooth and I've learned that boys are much easier than girls when it comes to packing, unpacking, and setting things up. It was a pretty quick process compared to when DD was a freshman 2 years ago.

DS's roommate seems great and his parents were super nice. There was a social event for the kids Wed night and then Thurs was orientation for parents in the morning and then parents and kids in the afternoon. We said goodbye Thurs night and then we drove home yesterday. I've gotten a couple of texts from him with info about his mailing address and things like that. Hopefully he's having fun. He's not exactly shy, but a little quiet until he gets used to the situation.

I'm already looking forward to family weekend at the end of Sept.!

I got home last night after flying in Tuesday, doing "early move in" Wednesday, orientation Thursday and flying home all day yesterday. Move in was fine (hot and humid but fine) and it was definitely easier with fewer students there. DD ended up spending Weds night with us at the hotel since the dorms don't have a/c and it was hot and stuffy still. Her orientation from Thursday-tomorrow afternoon which is good-not too long to get anxious before classes begin Monday. She cried a bit when I left but hasn't texted much so I think she's busy and when she's busy she's happy. Once my parents leave (Mom flew up and helped with move in while Dad stayed and watched the four legged children) tomorrow I'm pretty sure the empty nest will hit.

Glad to hear everyone is getting settled and adjusting to their new normal :)

A girl died of alcohol poisoning on campus when dd23 was a freshman, and a junior died last year on ds21’s campus getting hit by a drunk driver. Those are the student deaths you will hear about, they don’t mention the suicides in the news, but they happen.

Three nights in, she’s been to a frat party, plus parties with the swim team and crew team. They had a silent disco for freshmen last night, some meetings today, plus petting puppies, yoga and ice skating. Keeping busy, and she loves her new friends. I hope she is prepared when classes start tomorrow. The weather is perfect, which helps.

DS was able to change his last 8am class to a different time slot, at 1am one slot opened so it was nabbed.
And how he will not have 4 hours in a row of physics. DD said she did that one semester and it was brutal.
Classes start tomorrow.

This has been a great thread- here is to all our new students: A good and happy college start.

Called DS tonight (moved in Thurs.), he had a floor meeting and couldn’t talk long but said things are good and busy. Found where his classes are today. Hung out with high school friends a little this weekend (his best friend is going there too), rented the books he could (some he has to wait until after first class). He didn’t want to buy any of them, fine by me. Real life begins tomorrow and he’s got a busy Monday schedule of classes. I feel better having talked to him.

Last edited:
I'm home, after 33 nights on the road, and sloooowly catching up to hear how move-in went for everyone.

The trip was an incredible adventure and a great "last blast" for DD11 to have DD18 all to herself. When we finally got to campus last weekend, DD settled right in and I'm more sure than ever that she ended up exactly where she was supposed to be. She's already joined a rock climbing club, her roommate seems lovely, and she's jumped in to campus ministry practically from day one. We stayed for the two-day welcome that included families, so we had a little free time to explore the campus and the city with DD before we headed home. The welcome week activities continue for students into the first week of classes so she's been really busy since we left, but we've touched base a couple of times and I already had to send one small package of things she forgot in the car. :rotfl:

I'm home, after 33 nights on the road, and sloooowly catching up to hear how move-in went for everyone.

The trip was an incredible adventure and a great "last blast" for DD11 to have DD18 all to herself. When we finally got to campus last weekend, DD settled right in and I'm more sure than ever that she ended up exactly where she was supposed to be. She's already joined a rock climbing club, her roommate seems lovely, and she's jumped in to campus ministry practically from day one. We stayed for the two-day welcome that included families, so we had a little free time to explore the campus and the city with DD before we headed home. The welcome week activities continue for students into the first week of classes so she's been really busy since we left, but we've touched base a couple of times and I already had to send one small package of things she forgot in the car. :rotfl:
I wondered how your adventure was going. Welcome back! So glad your DD is settling in nicely. Welcome home to your new normal!

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone!

Drop-off went pretty smoothly. We got to Maine early and met for lunch in town with one of DS's roommates and his mom. We got along very well and the boys seemed glad to be arriving at campus together. The bookstore was kind of a zoo, but we got through there, and then on to move-in. We had a 2:00 time slot to pick up keys and IDs, so it wasn't very busy by the time we got over to the dorm, but the volunteers were tired by then. :laughing:

So we helped them unpack and set up, met the third roommate when he got back from football practice (seemed very nice) and then they pretty much kicked us out because their friends from orientation who'd had earlier move-in slots were waiting for them to go to dinner. There was a "first-day ceremony" and outdoor movie planned in the evening, but I'm not sure if they went or not.

I was remarkably (for me) un-mushy, but I am looking forward to hearing from him in the next few days just to be sure he's settling in OK.

plus petting puppies

That is so cute! I wish UNE had something similar, as I'm sure he'll be missing his cat a lot.:cat: (Well, technically, they're both family cats, but one definitely considers him "her" person.)

Is everyone's child who's living on campus moved in now, or are there still a few yet to go?

Talked to DS last night via Facetime and he seemed well... although he was only half paying attention to us. (I think he was reading something on his computer screen while he had our facetime in the corner!) They had a busy weekend with lots of planned activities. DS was all over campus attending required and optional events (I'm sure 'getting your bearings on campus' was part of the point of having the activities so spread out.) Yesterday ended with convocation and a class photo, followed by a picnic on the lawn of his dorm. Today is the first day of classes.

Wishing everyone well!

Edited to add: Not all sunshine and roses, though. I think 72 hours must be DS's limit on living with someone without them getting on his nerves. ;-) Nothing major... but he's not always a patient guy. The roommate is apparently slow and inefficient about getting ready. They did almost everything together over welcome weekend and DS felt like he spent a ton of time waiting on the roommate to be ready to go. And when there were choices, DS would ask the roommate what he wanted to do, and the roommate didn't know. So DS would make a suggestion and the roommate would kind of shrug. So DS felt like he ended up making all of the decisions for both of them -- often trying to guess what the roommate wanted, and it still didn't seem like the roommate was thrilled with the choices. DS said he was looking forward to classes so they wouldn't be QUITE so much on the same schedule.

Last edited:
My DS leaves tomorrow - he is my baby. I can't stop tearing up this morning - good thing he's still sleeping. I don't want to put my anxiety on to him, he's got enough! His classes don't start until September 4th, but he picked up a part time job which starts this Wednesday. Most of the campus moves in this upcoming weekend.

First day of classes today for my son - nothing like starting off right away with an 8am class. :p Actually, his Mechanical Engineering Lab, which is Mon-Thurs. at 8am. He switched one class during the weekend - they assign each freshman a schedule and then after they meet with their advisor, they can change classes if they'd like. He didn't want back to back classes on a couple days a week (2pm and 3pm), so he switched out one of his core classes. Plus, it was something that sounded more interesting than the politics class they had assigned him.

Apparently, he didn't see his roommate a lot this week - they were in two different orientation groups and they're in different schools as well (Engineering vs. Science) so most of the activities for the week were separate from each other. Not sure if that was a good thing or bad - we'll see. On one hand, it should have made him meet other people other than his roommate, but it also sounds like his roommate made a bunch of other friends separate from our son, so it kind of sounds like he was feeling left out of stuff. They did go to the club fair together and apparently signed up for the curling club :rotfl: He said it sounded different, so they said they'd give it a shot. He also signed up for the climbing club, which is one club that I know he wanted to do all along - I think that's a club that he'll definitely take to and probably make some friends in. He loves rock climbing and they have a stand alone climbing barn on campus. :)

Hopefully now that he's starting classes, he'll meet a bunch of engineering students that he'll get to know as well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter