• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

Looking forward to tomorrow, going to see her all day! Not packed yet, after getting home late and sleeping two hours, her day started at 6 am to send off a friend, grab some breakfast and coffee, stopped by xc practice to say goodbyes, then some packing, off to lunch and nails, check up, boyfriend just picked her up to spend an hour or so together (he’s headed to Marquette, she will break things off at thanksgiving), then girlfriend pizza night. She said she contacted the crew coach, they are recruiting athletes (our good friend is actually the HS girl’s crew coach, but she wanted to run).

It’s only a 2 hour drive but she will sleep the whole way. Ds21 wants to play golf tomorrow, so he will drive separately (we have to pick up her laptop at the mall, and get her a new student ID before 5 since hers is missing). He’s going back to college on Saturday. Ds16 and Dd16 both have soccer scrimmages on Friday so leaving them somewhat home with dd23 (she’s going out Thursday night and doesn’t plan on coming home). I just want to make sure someone is home to feed and let out the dog, we will be back Friday afternoon.

That's a good idea. The only hard part of it will be that we only have a 30 minute window to unpack the car, then it has to be moved. I'm thinking that maybe we'll have DH drop us off early, then go get donuts or something and we'll head up to look at her room and move stuff around if she needs it. We'll take her toolkit so we can raise her bed while we're there.

We're now neck deep in lists. They're everywhere!

That's a good idea. The only hard part of it will be that we only have a 30 minute window to unpack the car, then it has to be moved. I'm thinking that maybe we'll have DH drop us off early, then go get donuts or something and we'll head up to look at her room and move stuff around if she needs it. We'll take her toolkit so we can raise her bed while we're there.

We're now neck deep in lists. They're everywhere!
I think we only have 5 minutes to empty the car and go park, we will leave someone on the curb with the stuff. She has a toolkit and rubber mallet.

DD has had scheduling hassles this week in which it took three visits to the advisor to add a class that will actually be useful to her degree- twice they added classes she doesn't need. She may yet make another change, she was going to see about testing out of Spanish I before she gets any rustier, but I'm kind of hoping she doesn't change her schedule again. Auditions tonight and tomorrow night along with first day homework are adding to her stress but I think next week things will be settled. Other than being overwhelmed by all that I think she's reasonably happy.

DS went today. We had a family pizza party Sunday , that a few gave gifts , so he finished his thank yous this am. He said goodbye to the dog. I took his picture, with DH, their backs touching to show DS growth- now over DH. DH is bummed they are both going to be gone. Loaded the car and off we went.
One building had a line 1.5 blocks long to unload. Newman was pull up and they immediately unload you. We hung a few things and we left to get DD some stuff and then she wanted diner with us.
DS immediate roommate was there so they met. And DS has freshman events to attend-orientating him to campus. DS seemed chill.
And we got a free lunch on the dorm- well price of room and board for a year x 2 :)
I’m excited, I met a long term goal-both kids attending college.

I just realized we haven't heard from @Gumbo4x4 on this thread for some time. I sure hope all is well and he's just off getting his DD settled into school.

I just realized we haven't heard from @Gumbo4x4 on this thread for some time. I sure hope all is well and he's just off getting his DD settled into school.

Yes, that is odd. I hope everything is OK, too.

DS was stressing big time yesterday. - You know when you get into that worry mode about one thing and start worrying about everything else?

But he eventually calmed down. I think at this point, he just needs the move to be over so he start concentrating on the new stuff instead of how much he'll miss the old stuff.

My DS moves in on Tuesday and I am really starting to see his anxiety kick in. I'm not sure if it's good to NOT talk about it, or TO talk about it. The only think he keeps saying is, "I think I made a mistake." Mistake how? Going at all? School choice? Major? He was green! I thought he was going to hurl! But we were in a restaurant so I didn't want to push and then he seemed better once we got home......so tough. He's very shy yet, and introverted. He said he will spend most of his time in his dorm room. I say nothing...

Aw, McKelly... that's so hard. I hope that once he gets there and settles in, things will be OK. Mine suffers from anxiety sometimes too. So far he's been OK, but I hope it continues. (That's probably my biggest worry about him.)

My DS moved in yesterday. We made arrangements to meet up with his roommate and family for lunch at the exit where you turn off the interstate (still about 45 minutes away from the school.) Then we caravanned the rest of the way, so the boys could get to the room together and decide how they wanted to set it up.

We dodged rain showers all afternoon, but managed to get the stuff out of the car and into the building between rainstorms. (And there was also a break in the rain between when we left and walked back to our car... so I can't complain too much. The drop-off process was smooth. We didn't have to wait more than a minute or two to pull up in front of the dorm (benefit of the late move in slot, I think... apparently lines were a lot longer in the morning). We had to wait a while to get a cart to help take things up, but overall, it worked smoothly.

We had also talked about not bringing the stuff into the room (and the hall was wide enough that we could have left stuff there) until we cleaned the room and arranged the furniture, but the roommate's family brought all of their stuff into the room. The boys decided just to leave the furniture how it was for now. Their room is SMALL. The school-supplied furniture pretty much lines every wall. DS's bed even goes in front of part of the window. And it has very high ceilings. We have 9' ceilings at home and they are definitely higher than ours! (I joked to DH that it's kind of like living in the bottom of a cereal box!)

At first, I wasn't thrilled that we had the latest move-in time slot because i was afraid we'd be rushed. However, I think I almost preferred it. We had a nice leisurely morning at home. We got there and got all the unpacking done within a couple of hours and I think DS was ready to settle into his room by the time we left. We offered to take him to the store for more snacks, etc... but he said he was fine. There is a bus that goes to Walmart, but he'll still have a hike back to his dorm with whatever he chooses to buy. (I was thinking "case of gatorade" which would not be fun to lug home... but I guess he'll figure it out.)

I didn't cry, and I was proud of myself for that. It was bittersweet for sure, but I just kept repeating to myself "This is what we've been working for. This is what we want."

They had a "block party" last night for the freshmen with lots of activities. However, it got moved indoors due to the storms. DS was mainly interested in the free food, but apparently it was super crowded (partly due to the indoor venue), and the lines were very long. DS said he met a few people but he's looking forward to clubs beginning (there's a club fair next Wednesday) because he said he's decided he sucks at trying to make small talk with whoever's around you. He's hoping that a mutual interest will make meeting people easier.

He texted at about 11pm last night (they left the block party early, I guess) to tell me that he thinks his dorm bed might be more comfortable than his bed at home. He's crediting the 3" memory foam mattress topper. It sounds like today is a full day of meetings and planned activities for the freshmen -- and Sunday is pretty full, too -- but they should have some downtime on Saturday to explore on their own.

I've been really trying not to text him unless he initiates it... but I've already got a whole list of things that I want to tell him/ask him! I was thrilled that he texted last night. I hope he'll text me today, too.

Yes, that is odd. I hope everything is OK, too.

DS was stressing big time yesterday. - You know when you get into that worry mode about one thing and start worrying about everything else?

But he eventually calmed down. I think at this point, he just needs the move to be over so he start concentrating on the new stuff instead of how much he'll miss the old stuff.

That's so hard when you know they're stressing and there's nothing you can do. I think you're right though and it just needs to happen. Then you can deal with the reality instead of the anticipation of what it all might be.
My DS moves in on Tuesday and I am really starting to see his anxiety kick in. I'm not sure if it's good to NOT talk about it, or TO talk about it. The only think he keeps saying is, "I think I made a mistake." Mistake how? Going at all? School choice? Major? He was green! I thought he was going to hurl! But we were in a restaurant so I didn't want to push and then he seemed better once we got home......so tough. He's very shy yet, and introverted. He said he will spend most of his time in his dorm room. I say nothing...
Awww @McKelly . :hug: That's rough. For both him and you. There probably isn't a right answer. Backing out at this point isn't realistic or wise, so forging ahead seems the best thing. Big hugs ahead as both of you move forward. I will say that my son who went away was pretty hesitant when it was time to move in. It was so hard on all of us. He didn't really seem to blossom for a couple years. By the time he graduated, he was ready to take a job in another city. And he's become very social and far more outgoing. It's been great to watch. Just hang in there.

Aw, McKelly... that's so hard. I hope that once he gets there and settles in, things will be OK. Mine suffers from anxiety sometimes too. So far he's been OK, but I hope it continues. (That's probably my biggest worry about him.)

My DS moved in yesterday. We made arrangements to meet up with his roommate and family for lunch at the exit where you turn off the interstate (still about 45 minutes away from the school.) Then we caravanned the rest of the way, so the boys could get to the room together and decide how they wanted to set it up.

We dodged rain showers all afternoon, but managed to get the stuff out of the car and into the building between rainstorms. (And there was also a break in the rain between when we left and walked back to our car... so I can't complain too much. The drop-off process was smooth. We didn't have to wait more than a minute or two to pull up in front of the dorm (benefit of the late move in slot, I think... apparently lines were a lot longer in the morning). We had to wait a while to get a cart to help take things up, but overall, it worked smoothly.

We had also talked about not bringing the stuff into the room (and the hall was wide enough that we could have left stuff there) until we cleaned the room and arranged the furniture, but the roommate's family brought all of their stuff into the room. The boys decided just to leave the furniture how it was for now. Their room is SMALL. The school-supplied furniture pretty much lines every wall. DS's bed even goes in front of part of the window. And it has very high ceilings. We have 9' ceilings at home and they are definitely higher than ours! (I joked to DH that it's kind of like living in the bottom of a cereal box!)

At first, I wasn't thrilled that we had the latest move-in time slot because i was afraid we'd be rushed. However, I think I almost preferred it. We had a nice leisurely morning at home. We got there and got all the unpacking done within a couple of hours and I think DS was ready to settle into his room by the time we left. We offered to take him to the store for more snacks, etc... but he said he was fine. There is a bus that goes to Walmart, but he'll still have a hike back to his dorm with whatever he chooses to buy. (I was thinking "case of gatorade" which would not be fun to lug home... but I guess he'll figure it out.)

I didn't cry, and I was proud of myself for that. It was bittersweet for sure, but I just kept repeating to myself "This is what we've been working for. This is what we want."

They had a "block party" last night for the freshmen with lots of activities. However, it got moved indoors due to the storms. DS was mainly interested in the free food, but apparently it was super crowded (partly due to the indoor venue), and the lines were very long. DS said he met a few people but he's looking forward to clubs beginning (there's a club fair next Wednesday) because he said he's decided he sucks at trying to make small talk with whoever's around you. He's hoping that a mutual interest will make meeting people easier.

He texted at about 11pm last night (they left the block party early, I guess) to tell me that he thinks his dorm bed might be more comfortable than his bed at home. He's crediting the 3" memory foam mattress topper. It sounds like today is a full day of meetings and planned activities for the freshmen -- and Sunday is pretty full, too -- but they should have some downtime on Saturday to explore on their own.

I've been really trying not to text him unless he initiates it... but I've already got a whole list of things that I want to tell him/ask him! I was thrilled that he texted last night. I hope he'll text me today, too.
Good job getting through! Love the bolded. It's so true.

At the hotel waiting to hear from dd, she texted me at 1:30 am letting me know she had a fun night (not school sponsored, lol). Want to take her to target before we head home. A forced triple is a bit of s ****e show, took forever to set up the room, but the door is really really nice in a great location (only a 30 second walk to a student center, Dunkin’ and a gym). Welcome activities start Saturday after after regular move in, 1 roommate is leaving today for habitat for humanity, but she’s very social and I’m sure she will stay busy.

I am now the parent of two college kids. Dropped her off yesterday, and we didn't meet her roommate. I am not going to call her, but curious as if they fit together or not. Her room looks nice, and the bed is so high, sure they will have to jump up into it. She forgot some stuff, so we are packing a bag that we will drop off to her. Good thing she is not that far away. And the drop off was like clock work, and parents: see ya later! Other kid is a commuter, and both start school officially next week. I think the only one with tears was me. DD was happy and excited. So I am hoping all the kids here are going to have a great first year of college.

We got DD's set of luggage from Amazon yesterday, and she packed up the big suitcase. There's still a TON of things on the guest bed which is her staging area. Since DH and I are headed to Maine for a bit of a vacation before we go home, we were going to take a carryon with our stuff in it, but it looks like that's going to be upgraded to a full size and the rest of DD's things will go in the big one, and we'll put our things in her carryon and transfer them to the big suitcases after we get her unpacked.

I found some super cute fold up shopping bags that I think I'm going to order. A set for her and a set for me. They'll come in handy for her when she does snack runs.

Got home from move in / orientation on Wednesday night. Move in on Tuesday was remarkably smooth and organized. We waited in a line in a parking lot for a fairly long time (an hour or so), but they had a really good plan. They released a couple cars at a time to the back of the dorm, where we were met by a ton of student assistants who helped unload the car, put it all into large laundry bins and helped roll them all up to the room. I took the car from there and parked it across campus. By the time I walked back to the dorm (at least 1/2 mile away), my wife and son had a lot of stuff already moved in. Son's roommate and his parents were a couple cars ahead of us in line, which was probably good because most of his stuff was put away before we got there. Room is small, no question about that, but it's in a good location. It's next to the lounge and elevator and right across the hall from the bathroom, plus a really good view of the quad. And it's one of only three with A/C, which was good for the first day or two, since it was nearly 90 in Rochester.

Parent orientation was good - pretty informative. We had dinner and drinks with our son's roommate's parents and the next morning, we met the dean and other faculty from the engineering school, then went to convocation, which also was well done. Forced our son to take a couple more pictures with us before he basically kicked us off campus and we headed home. We're both trying hard to leave him alone to do his thing. My wife did text back and forth with him Wednesday night - she was worried because he was already just sitting in his dorm while his roommate was out doing stuff. I tried to remind her that he'll find a group - it just might take a little time. Trying not to obsess about this 😟 Yesterday was his academic day, where he met professors and other classmates from the engineering school - hoping that was a good chance to meet other kids as well. And I think he went rock climbing (they have a standalone climbing gym across campus) last night, so another chance to make friends (we hope).

Just got back from our weekly grocery run and, gotta say, I think that might have been tougher than leaving him on campus. I'd think "Ooh... there's the [insert one of son's favorites]" then think "Nope. I guess I don't need to buy that today." I still didn't cry, but I was feeling kind of nostalgic.

We got an email from the university yesterday alerting us to the fact there had been a student death. No details, just that a student had been found unresponsive and counseling was available for anyone who needs it. Scary stuff.

ETA: Just checked for updates. It was an 18 year old freshman and foul play is not suspected.

We got an email from the university yesterday alerting us to the fact there had been a student death. No details, just that a student had been found unresponsive and counseling was available for anyone who needs it. Scary stuff.

ETA: Just checked for updates. It was an 18 year old freshman and foul play is not suspected.
Oh, how dreadful. Every parent's worst nightmare, I'm sure. :( :( :(

So sad and very scary. I had that a fellow freshman pass away, my first year of college that I attended, oh so long ago. One morning, found also having passed away, but not from foul play either. We all were somber for a day or two, and very sad for his family. The school had a service for him, that most of our student body went to. I send my sympathy to that student's family and friends at your kid's college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter