• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of college athletes... recruiting websites

I'd feel better if there were schools (or a major) he was interested in. But he's just finishing 8th grade, so I'm also not concerned that he doesn't know what he wants to study yet.

OK, why? Did you use one?

I've reached out to his club to see what they offer to help. Part of me thinks "he's only an 8th grader, you're starting too early", but another part of me thinks "this is the perfect time to start".

It IS too early. Right now he should be focusing on improving his game, getting good grades, and deciding what career he is interested in pursuing. Colleges are not allowed to talk to him for a long time, and will not be interested in his stats or videos until High School.

And yes, skills and elite camps are a great way to both improve your skill, compete against other high talent, and get seen by coaches.

I've reached out to his club to see what they offer to help. Part of me thinks "he's only an 8th grader, you're starting too early", but another part of me thinks "this is the perfect time to start".
Even though it seems a long time away, I don't think 8th grade is too early to either start thinking about what he wants to study, looking at colleges that might interest him, or whether he might like to play in college. In a few days he'll be a 9th grader, and time goes by quickly. D1 programs (who are looking for the real standouts athletically, academically, and even physically) recruit early in HS. By the time your kid is a junior, they've mostly already moved on. At least in the sport I'm familiar with (baseball).

Things have changed a lot over the past decade, and even the past several years, about how things are done. Much is done electronically today, although at some point they will want to see a player in person - and when that happens, don't underestimate how important attitude and demeanor are, as well as playing ability. They will walk away from a skilled player with a bad attitude, because college coaches want players who are all about the team, not all about themselves. They can't have any "big heads" who are going to get upset every time something doesn't go their way. Many decisions are made for the better of the team, not for the better of the player. (There is a lot written on this subject.) There are likely some local and regional differences in recruitment, too, as there are on the different the NCAA/NAIA levels. (Oh, and parents will be involved a bit helping their student athlete with choices, but after that, they are expected to butt out! :laughing: )

We did not use one of those sites. DS was recruited through a college-specific showcase of a college he was interested in attending. They had an App on their Athletics website on which we uploaded video (for free) that we'd taken with an iPhone. They just want to see mechanics, which will help get your foot in the door.

HS, AAU and other coaches were not all that helpful, in our experience, although some organizations seemed to be rabid about it. (And that, I think, breaks off into a conversation about what type of organization your kid wants to play for coming up the ranks, if given a choice.)

A lot DS's friends and teammates went on to play in college, but most of them found their own way into schools that were a good fit for them, whatever their reasons. Some decided to focus just on academics and not play. A few went to colleges they thought they'd be able to walk on, but they didn't make the teams. A couple were recruited but either were cut during tryouts (yes, that's something people don't realize - there are still "tryouts" even when recruited), or saw no playing time. Some played for one year and decided it was too much with schoolwork. We've seen some movement with players who made [different levels of] teams but didn't get playing time, so sought out other schools where they would. A few went to prep schools and then were able to be recruited to better teams from there, and we've similarly met some great players who started off at NAIA (junior colleges) and moved up later. We've seen other situations, too, too many to capture. So it's been really interesting to watch. There are a lot of different options. DS is fortunate he's had a great experience at the D3 school he chose.

There is a lot that goes into the decision to play in college: how to get there, and whether where you wind up is a good fit or not, not only athletically, but academically, financially, socially, logistically, etc. There was a lot we didn't know that we learned as we went along. It's a lot of information to digest, and you read and hear different things from different people. IME not all of that information is correct, and one size does not fit all. Do your own homework as it pertains to your own child. Everyone's situation is different. I think parents and potential players have to keep an open mind about everything and make realistic choices, again, athletically, academically and financially.

Best of luck to everyone going down this path!

We were JUST about to sign DS17 for NCSA - they reached out to us DS's Freshman year (along with probably 500,000 of his closest friends and rivals lol) and, like someone said, we didn't know what we didn't know - at the time.

Luckily, before we decided for sure, DS attended a showcase/camp, and the head coach sent all the kids to the field and talked with the parents about the whole process. He said he never takes calls from NCSA, and IN HIS OPINION, NCSA is amazing at getting kids placed with D3 and NAIA teams. D1 and D2 schools don't recruit that way. And trying to play for a D3 school, by the way, he said is pretty darn easy to manage on your own since a lot of those schools are begging good athletes to go to their schools.

His advice to the kids: Get good grades. Stay away from posting anything controversial on social media. Stay out of trouble. Work harder than anyone else on your team. If you do all of the above, the recruiters will come to you. And a little pixie dust in the womb doesn't hurt either.

His advice to the parents: When looking at colleges, pick school first, sports second. Keep your kid on the right track. Don't feed their ego - college coaches don't want "the best", they want the most coachable and hardest working. If that makes the kid "the best", then great. If not, he doesn't want them on the team. Get a Hudl account and send recruiting departments game clips of what your kid does the best. Send your kids to the 1-day showcases and camps if you want to give them more exposure. if they are any good, coaches will come to THEM, not the other way around.

Last edited:

I agree with posters who say if you're good enough for D1, they'll find you. Having said that soccer is a little bit different because college coaches talk to only clubs pretty much and not high school coaches. I wouldn't pay this service, I'd see if his club offers any informational sessions first of all. A lot of schools my daughter looked at (including D1) required prospective recruits attend one of their ID camps. Some coaches also like the ODP system. Do a little of your own research rather than one of these companies. We weren't huge on playing that game. While one kid she played with went D1 with no scholarship, the rest pretty much went D3...many to okay schools, but mostly it was so their parents could say "my kid is going to play in college".

While the NCAA and youth sports in general have become a racket, I personally think soccer is one of the "scammiest" right now that is shooting itself in the foot. D1 and D2 schools have completed recruiting future classes before those kids start their junior year (some even earlier)...even coaches are concerned. And since the recruiting process is taking places at expensive camps and academies that require huge travel, only athletes with parents who have the finances have a shot. This drives me crazy because having lived and worked in a city, I see so many kids just playing in the park that are so talented and have creative skills i have yet to see an academy teach. Those kids could never afford a club team or to travel to an ID camp. Off topic rant, sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter