Parents of college athletes... recruiting websites

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
DS is a promising athlete. Granted, that's right now as an 8th grader, things could change or he could lose interest, but for the sake of this question, let's assume he stays with his sport (soccer) through HS.

We had a phone conversation yesterday with a representative from NCSA Sports. They offer a "one stop shop" for athletes to build profiles, post videos, connect with coaches, etc. There are some free elements, and some you pay for (of course). The pay for is $900 (basic level). That covers you through your last year of college eligibility (so if we pay now, we can use it help find schools and if he decides to transfer, can continue to use their features).

We like what they have to offer, but balking a little at the price. Doing some google searches about recruiting websites and it's either "they worked for us" or "save the money, do it yourself" (contact schools you're interested in on your own, send a link to the YouTube video). However, right now he doesn't have any favorite schools. He doesn't even know what he wants to study, so we can't narrow down by that.

So, I guess the question is, has anyone used a recruiting website for their athlete? Which one? Are you glad you did? Wish you didn't?

And since I know many of these will come up...
*No, we are not counting on a scholarship (but it would be nice)
*He's had contact with one coach at an area camp he went to last year.
*If we knew what schools he'd be interested in, we'd focus on those. But his thoughts are wide open for right now.
*No, we don't know what level (athletically or academically) of school he will fit in. I think it's POSSIBLE he could play D1, but I wouldn't be surprised if he played DII, III, or NAIA.
*Yes, academics are high on our priority list right now also.

My son is currently a D3 soccer player at a smaller State University in our home state. We never paid separately for any recruiting sites. Starting in Sophore year, his soccer club included signing up on a specific site as part of our tuition. They would have 3 one on one meetings with their coaches, and 1 meeting a year with the director of coaching for the club. His club was instrumental in helping guide him along the way. He did take the long way around. Ultimately, after he graduated HS, he decided to attend the Flagship State university in a neighboring state. They are a D1 program, and he was not really at that level. He did attend a couple of camps at this school, and the coach did invite him to attend walk on tryouts, but he did not make the team.

He decided to transfer after his freshman year, decided which schools he wanted to look at, applied, then reached out to the coaches. He was very lucky in that his club coach from his Sr. Year in HS had room on his roster, and DS was allowed to play with the team, as one of their allowed overage players. He invited the coach of the school he was transferring to, to a preseason tournament he came home to play in. The coach waited for him after the 2nd game, invited him to pre-season, and asked if he needed any help with housing, or if he was all set.

We found the recruiting process to be a huge case of "we don't know what we don't know" The biggest was the NCAA Eligibility Center especially for athletes with D1 or DII aspirations. Our club advised us to start looking at this, and start the process at the end of Sophmore year. There are a lot of steps, and we do know kids/families who were scrambling last minute to finish it up in time to report for pre-season.

SO, I guess for us, playing in showcases, attending camps/id clinics, and reaching out to coaches was sufficient for us.

DS is a promising athlete. Granted, that's right now as an 8th grader, things could change or he could lose interest, but for the sake of this question, let's assume he stays with his sport (soccer) through HS.

We had a phone conversation yesterday with a representative from NCSA Sports. They offer a "one stop shop" for athletes to build profiles, post videos, connect with coaches, etc. There are some free elements, and some you pay for (of course). The pay for is $900 (basic level). That covers you through your last year of college eligibility (so if we pay now, we can use it help find schools and if he decides to transfer, can continue to use their features).

We like what they have to offer, but balking a little at the price. Doing some google searches about recruiting websites and it's either "they worked for us" or "save the money, do it yourself" (contact schools you're interested in on your own, send a link to the YouTube video). However, right now he doesn't have any favorite schools. He doesn't even know what he wants to study, so we can't narrow down by that.

So, I guess the question is, has anyone used a recruiting website for their athlete? Which one? Are you glad you did? Wish you didn't?

And since I know many of these will come up...
*No, we are not counting on a scholarship (but it would be nice)
*He's had contact with one coach at an area camp he went to last year.
*If we knew what schools he'd be interested in, we'd focus on those. But his thoughts are wide open for right now.
*No, we don't know what level (athletically or academically) of school he will fit in. I think it's POSSIBLE he could play D1, but I wouldn't be surprised if he played DII, III, or NAIA.
*Yes, academics are high on our priority list right now also.

Our local soccer travel clubs assist those with an interest in playing college soccer.

One of them has helpful info on their website www.gulfcoastunited.com. There is a link to soccer in college.

Also, high school coaches and your local college coaches can give some advice.

Our dd is a sophomore. 2 weeks ago both of our local clubs held a college id camp and showcase tournament week with several college coaches from our region attending to watch players and give clinics.

The event started with a Friday night high school kid/parent meeting with a mom who has had 5 kids play college level in several different schools and regions and a coach, and a recruiter.

All of them stressed academics and ACT SAT scores first. There are not a lot of amazing scholarships for soccer players to be had. And scholarships are often stretched to reach more students. Academic scholarships are more plentiful and an athlete with academic scholarships to a school is wanted more so that the athletic scholarships can be saved for other students.

Another key thing is that prospective coaches are not supposed to personally contact students until their junior year.

Students should also reach out to schools they are interested in and let the coaches know when they are playing near them.

The recruiter gave us basic info and then advertised his services if people were interested, but his fees were only a few hundred and not near what you are quoted.

Dd is a great goalie and has been looked at by JUCO coaches, as a sophomore though, she has had some contacts but when they realize she is not yet a junior they back off.

After entertaining the week and considering soccer in college, unless a wonderful opportunity to a 4 year university presents itself, she will not play in college.

Her ACT score is in the 30s and she is on track for full academic scholarship. At the clinic she realized that a rigorous academic load at college and the demands of college soccer would be tough.

It's exciting, but you have some time before you need to commit.

Last edited:
Start here for generic information:

Collegeconfidential.com

Go to: forums

Click on: Specialty College Admission Topics

Click on: Let's Build a Recruiting ABCs Thread in Athletic Recruits

I wouldn’t pay for it, honestly. Having said that, I’m not familiar with how soccer works. My experience is with baseball and basketball.

I have 2 on college athletic D1 scholarships and 1 at a D2 school. The coaches all came to them—not the other way around. They all had really good exposure in a big city so it may be different if you come from a smaller school.

I don't know much about playing soccer in college personally my cousin did. From what I've heard a video is one of the more important pieces to make a first impression and get noticed. My cousin found success using soccer spotlight, their website is https://www.soccerspotlightvideo.com. I think they have a free newsletter directly related to playing soccer in college so you might find some useful information there.

I wouldn’t pay for it, honestly. Having said that, I’m not familiar with how soccer works. My experience is with baseball and basketball.

I have 2 on college athletic D1 scholarships and 1 at a D2 school. The coaches all came to them—not the other way around. They all had really good exposure in a big city so it may be different if you come from a smaller school.

Yeah, paying for it seems like a huge scam to me. If he competes at a level where he'd be able to play in college for a scholarship, it's the job of the scouts (that's what they are PAID to do) to find those athletes - they go to games, they follow team rosters, etc. I started getting letters in my junior year (swimming, not soccer, but I'm sure it's similar). Paying for it seems like one of those "You can be a MODEL, just pay us $1,000 to get you cast!" type schemes.

My DD did virtually nothing except fill out (swimming) time information on free websites and was recruited by a about a dozen D2 and D3 schools. Sadly, her high school coach was a ginormous jerk (keeping it DIS safe) and she choose to not swim in College after her senior year with him. After literally 13 years in the water and making it to her state high school meet (top 24 swimmers in the state) and finals in multi-State Sectionals meets.

Things can change on a dime.

I would talk to your club coach and get their take on it.

Last edited:
I’m a Division 1 Coach (football), my recommendation- DO NOT sign or use a recruiting service- we don’t use them, and most programs don’t. If your athlete can play they will get noticed. You can always personally reach to to schools you’re interested in. Your best asset is your athletes coach. They should be your advocate- especially when college coaches inquire.

Go to camps. Get film, get a twitter account, link your film. We recruit character, academic, athletics. If he’s high in those areas he will get recruited at the appropriate level- no doubt. The cream always rises to the top.

Enjoy the process!

My husband is a college coach. He hates those sites. He also hates getting contacted by a paid recruiter.

If your student studies hard and has good grades, continues to excel in sports, and has a positive relationship with his high school and any travel or club coaches, those are your best assets.

You can always personally reach to to schools you’re interested in.
I'd feel better if there were schools (or a major) he was interested in. But he's just finishing 8th grade, so I'm also not concerned that he doesn't know what he wants to study yet.

That kind of thing is a waste of money for soccer.
OK, why? Did you use one?

I've reached out to his club to see what they offer to help. Part of me thinks "he's only an 8th grader, you're starting too early", but another part of me thinks "this is the perfect time to start".

I’m a Division 1 Coach (football), my recommendation- DO NOT sign or use a recruiting service- we don’t use them, and most programs don’t. If your athlete can play they will get noticed. You can always personally reach to to schools you’re interested in. Your best asset is your athletes coach. They should be your advocate- especially when college coaches inquire.

Go to camps. Get film, get a twitter account, link your film. We recruit character, academic, athletics. If he’s high in those areas he will get recruited at the appropriate level- no doubt. The cream always rises to the top.

Enjoy the process!

Yes, absolutely. Our oldest is also 8th grade, and for us, we just think it's far too early to consider that stuff. However, just from what coaches in our sports (lacrosse and football) have told us, if the child is talented enough, they'll get noticed. Coaches talk, word spreads, talented kids get noticed and stand out. We see a microcosm of that even in youth sports and are on all sides of that fence between our 3 kids.

That maybe. I only have personal experience with soccer.
I only have experience with baseball, but all the Universities he talked to said....don't waste your time with those services.

My oldest had a scholarship for basketball. Coaches and scouts were aware of him his sophomore year because of his stats, found back then in newspapers. They started watching him his Junior year and then according to NCAA rules could contact him his Senior year. He was fortunate to do an early signing November of his Senior year for a full ride at a D2 school. His GPA and ACT scores, also, had to be good to get into the school that signed him.

Except for him going to basketball camps in Junior High (because he wanted to go) we, as parents, really didn't do much but that was back in the 90s. Maybe it's different now. To be honest with you when he finished 8th grade I had no clue my son would be playing basketball in college 4 years later.

I'd feel better if there were schools (or a major) he was interested in. But he's just finishing 8th grade, so I'm also not concerned that he doesn't know what he wants to study yet.

OK, why? Did you use one?

I've reached out to his club to see what they offer to help. Part of me thinks "he's only an 8th grader, you're starting too early", but another part of me thinks "this is the perfect time to start".

No reason to use them.

All contact was done thru the club coach until the college coaches were able to contact the players directly. As stated by others posters, players were identified during camps and showcases. The coach had a packet of resumes that were handed out to all college coaches that attended each game.

This team (class of 2013) ended up approximately 70% D1, 10% DII and 20% D111.

I believe there has been a shift since then with academy teams being more important than they used to be (at least on the girls side). Not completely sure of that.

I agree with those who said don't bother with a site like that. Club Showcases and ID camps are probably the best route to go - a decent ID camp is going to have 20-30 college coaches in attendance and that will be more valuable than any of these paid services. As someone else said, if you can get some good video of your son in action, you can piece together your own highlight clip and post that too, but it's the in person stuff that will be most valuable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter