Paradise Pier Superthread

Thanks everyone. With slow elevators being a major complaint for the PP, I guess I just got a little nervous with our choice. :rotfl2: I feel better now that maybe it won't be such a big deal.

I have been staying at the PPH since 2000. I wouldn't keep going back there if the elevators were a huge hassle. (Maybe I am used to the long waits for elevators in all of the tall office/medical buildings in my area of town, though, making the PPH elevators seem like a breeze!:rotfl2:)

If I had never read people's comments about the PPH elevators on this board to see that so many people complained, I don't think I would have ever even thought twice about them because they didn't impact my experiences in any way.

If I had never read people's comments about the PPH elevators on this board to see that so many people complained, I don't think I would have ever even thought twice about them because they didn't impact my experiences in any way.
Yes, I wouldn't know about the elevator issue if it wasn't for Dis.

Hi everyone! I've just read through this thread over the last couple days, and it has been very helpful as we try to decide what DLR hotel we will choose. We are considering either mid-November (before thanksgiving) or early December next year. Can anyone tell me when hotel decorations go up? I know the park Christmas stuff has all been going on for awhile now. Does PPH feel as festive as all the other hotels? Thank you!

Hi everyone! I've just read through this thread over the last couple days, and it has been very helpful as we try to decide what DLR hotel we will choose. We are considering either mid-November (before thanksgiving) or early December next year. Can anyone tell me when hotel decorations go up? I know the park Christmas stuff has all been going on for awhile now. Does PPH feel as festive as all the other hotels? Thank you!

RebeccaW23 --

Hi!:wave:

The hotel decorations went up 9 days before Thanksgiving in 2013 (or, at least, that was when the first signs of them appeared). If this year follows suit, we should start to hear about signs of hotel décor appearing tomorrow or the day after. I think that the PPH tree (which there are photos of in this thread) will be up by the weekend, at the very latest, but probably sooner. In years when Thanksgiving is late, the hotel décor seems to go up earlier.

Next year I would expect a similar pattern, with the decorations at the hotels going up by the weekend before Thanksgiving, at the latest.

I love the PPH and stay there every year in December. While I don't feel that it is as festive as the Grand Californian Hotel across the street, Santa Claus and Christmas carolers still appear at the PPH as well (from Thanksgiving on), and the tree is a gorgeous color.

See these posts for more Hotel/Holiday info (the second link is to the intro in our "Hotels" theme of the Theme Week Countdown in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread)-- HERE and HERE.

pixiedust:pixiedust:

RebeccaW23 -- Hi!:wave: The hotel decorations went up 9 days before Thanksgiving in 2013 (or, at least, that was when the first signs of them appeared). If this year follows suit, we should start to hear about signs of hotel décor appearing tomorrow or the day after. I think that the PPH tree (which there are photos of in this thread) will be up by the weekend, at the very latest, but probably sooner. In years when Thanksgiving is late, the hotel décor seems to go up earlier. Next year I would expect a similar pattern, with the decorations at the hotels going up by the weekend before Thanksgiving, at the latest. I love the PPH and stay there every year in December. While I don't feel that it is as festive as the Grand Californian Hotel across the street, Santa Claus and Christmas carolers still appear at the PPH as well (from Thanksgiving on), and the tree is a gorgeous color. See these posts for more Hotel/Holiday info (the second link is to the intro in our "Hotels" theme of the Theme Week Countdown in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread)-- HERE and HERE. pixiedust:pixiedust:

Thank you! I will definitely check out both those posts. I had kind of assumed PP wouldn't be as decked out as GC, but it's good to know that they still have Santa, carolers, etc. I did see the tree pics, and I know my girls would love it!

Hi everyone! I've convinced the hubby and we're going to surprise the kids by celebrating their birthdays at DL this year! One turns 11 and the other turns 9 - two days apart! I turn *cough*fourty-something*cough* a week later, so it'll be a really exciting trip for us.

I have read through this thread and there's awesome photos and ideas!

I am using my step-sister to help me as she's a travel agent and seemed pleasantly surprised that I had done so much investigation before booking!

As this is the PPH thread, that's where we're planning on staying. I'm thinking a standard Club room as it'll help lessen the cost of food. Speaking of... the snacks that are out between 10 and 5 - what type of snacks are these? Would they be suitable for a meal, or should I budget for a lunch?

We eat dinner early, so we'll probably be in the park for 5-6 each night for dinner (no free booze for me :().

If I mention the birthdays to the CM when I call to book cakes to be delivered to our restaurants the birthday nights, do they charge extra for balloons and such or is that something they might do just because?

We're arriving on the DRE from the airport. Will the Bells help us with luggage or is that something we do ourselves? And is there a separate line up for Club/Concierge or is it elsewhere or...?

And in your (group) opinion, is staying Concierge level worth it? I think it is, given the food, the parcel delivery, etc. But I think I need to convince Hubby.

Oh, and if I wanted to put cash on my account instead of charging my credit card, they should be okay with that, right?

I drink tea, so I should bring my own and get hot water from downstairs? Which place has inexpensive groceries to stock the fridge with... or should we just graze in the lounge if we're not too far away?

So many questions. Glad you guys are here!

As this is the PPH thread, that's where we're planning on staying. I'm thinking a standard Club room as it'll help lessen the cost of food. Speaking of... the snacks that are out between 10 and 5 - what type of snacks are these? Would they be suitable for a meal, or should I budget for a lunch?

We are going to stay in the standard view club /concierge level next week. We also booked it to help with food costs and there just something priceless about knowing you have access to snacks from 6:30-8 when you are bringing a 3 & 4 year old for their first Disney trip. We are alternating our in park reservations so we can have a late lunch then take advantage of the HH at least a few times. In order to make food go further and more satisfying I'm doing an order to be delivered from Vons and I'll get deli meat to add to some extra bagels we plan on snagging from breakfast. This would be a great lunch with some chips that they have there in the lounge. We are also going to have beer delivered so we can still enjoy a beer outside of the 5-7 window. Hopefully after the kids crash.

Hi everyone! I've convinced the hubby and we're going to surprise the kids by celebrating their birthdays at DL this year! One turns 11 and the other turns 9 - two days apart! I turn *cough*fourty-something*cough* a week later, so it'll be a really exciting trip for us.

I have read through this thread and there's awesome photos and ideas!

I am using my step-sister to help me as she's a travel agent and seemed pleasantly surprised that I had done so much investigation before booking!

We eat dinner early, so we'll probably be in the park for 5-6 each night for dinner (no free booze for me :().

If I mention the birthdays to the CM when I call to book cakes to be delivered to our restaurants the birthday nights, do they charge extra for balloons and such or is that something they might do just because?

We're arriving on the DRE from the airport. Will the Bells help us with luggage or is that something we do ourselves? And is there a separate line up for Club/Concierge or is it elsewhere or...?

And in your (group) opinion, is staying Concierge level worth it? I think it is, given the food, the parcel delivery, etc. But I think I need to convince Hubby.

Oh, and if I wanted to put cash on my account instead of charging my credit card, they should be okay with that, right?

I drink tea, so I should bring my own and get hot water from downstairs? Which place has inexpensive groceries to stock the fridge with... or should we just graze in the lounge if we're not too far away?

So many questions. Glad you guys are here!

We stayed at PPH Concierge level last year and we loved it. My son was 2 1/2 so was up early (we're on Texas time) so we had a chance to go down and take advantage of the breakfast options which I think saved us a ton of money on food in the parks, at least for the morning portion of our visit.

During the afternoon when we went back to the hotel for my son to nap, my dad would go down and get a beer or a snack and hang out there for a bit so my son could rest. I think we might have taken advantage of the appetizer/desert stuff once or twice. It was ok. Veggie's and dip, a few hot appetizers and deserts.

I appreciated the free water since we were there in May during a heat wave, and the view from our room was amazing! We were at the end of the hotel directly over Paradise Pier and had a great view for WOC every night. Room was large, my son loved his bed which was the daybed and we never experienced super slow elevators. Usually always took the glass elevator since we stayed on the 13 or 14 floor.

Bell Service was so friendly and helpful with the bags. We got there very early so our room wasn't ready. They stored our bags for us and when we called down once in our room they brought them up.

Super friendly all around, would highly recommend it.

My husband and I also enjoyed the concierge level. And if I have the extra money to spring for it I would.

In regards to the elevator, my "trick" is this. I would always ride it up first then down. Seem to get on an elevator faster that way.

We stayed club level at the beginning of January. While I was not impressed with PPH at all, it was nice to be able to grab a quick breakfast and soda/water for the park. The snacks that were available from 10-5 were chips, gold fish, two kinds of cracker trail mixes, and cookies. (Just a heads up, there was nothing diabetic friendly at all). From 5-7 we saw some veges and dip, cookies, and some kind of egg rolls. I think there was also chips and salsa. We were only there at that time on a couple of nights, so can't be sure if there was something else offered other nights. The dessert offerings were yummy! Chocolate dipped strawberries, cookies, and little tarts with fruit toppings.

You could also check out Disney movies to watch in your room.

Our room was small and worn looking, but the view was amazing!

Will be checking in to PPH in 17 days.
Was just wondering what peoples average check in time has been?
Many people on trip advisor have had to wait till 3pm for their room.
With a 15 hour flight I think I should prepare for this.

Is the walk to Disneyland Hotel for Goofys breakfast easy to get to.
Cheers
Adam.

We've gone in May a couple times, never checked in on a weekend, so maybe that helps our odds... But we have always had our room early. The latest we had to wait was 1 pm. Two different trips the room was ready at check-in, which is usually around 10 am for us (total for all dlr resorts, since we have stayed in each of them.)

To get to goofys you want to go out the way the signs say to get to the park... Sounds weird, but the quicker way to the park is out the doors where people pull up their cars to check in, and cross at the light to GCH. Where to get to goofys you want to go opposite of that, only takes 10 minutes probably.

We waited in line to check in for about 20 minutes in May 2014, on a Tuesday I think. Our room was ready . . . it was late afternoon/early evening I believe. Walk is fairly easy. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the great information. We check in on a Saturday so even if it is a late check in it won't bother us.

With a 7am arrival and having to go through customs I'm guessing we wouldn't be at the hotel until 10am onwards.

Thanks for the great information. We check in on a Saturday so even if it is a late check in it won't bother us.

With a 7am arrival and having to go through customs I'm guessing we wouldn't be at the hotel until 10am onwards.
Just keep in mind that check-out isn't even until 11 a.m. I believe, so the likelihood of your room being ready is small. I would plan on a 4 p.m. time to be in your room so you won't be disappointed. The hotel will hold your luggage and text you when your room is ready, so you can enjoy the hotel, pool, downtown Disney or the parks. :cool1:

We just got back from 7 nights at the PPH and absolutely loved it! We had a room on the 7th floor looking over the pool and right near the elevators (717) and my parents were in a connecting room next door (715) which was awesome! We were very impressed with how sound proofed the rooms were, even with our connecting doors not fully shut my parents didn't hear much noise from us and vice versa. We arrived early in the morning (8:30am) and they did a pre-check in for us and were able to confirm we would have connecting rooms and would get us in as soon as they could. I believe it was around 12:30 or 1pm that we got the call our rooms were ready. Thanks to the tips on here we used the "go up to go down" elevator trick on the busy mornings and it worked really well, we never had a super long wait. Also, we found that the glass elevator that's a bit separate from the rest was usually the fastest to ride up (it doesn't have a down button on most floors though). The pool area was great, we loved that they had life jackets and the kiddie pool! Our girls loved the slide and would've spent all day there if they could. The staff was great, always smiling and welcoming us back or wishing us a good day. Beds were firm, but comfortable and my girls loved the princess bedtime stories on TV. Getting into the parks was easy, we used the GCH shortcut and either went through DTD or straight to the CA entrance from GCH. There were a few times we had to run back quickly for something (like the first morning when I got to the gates and realized my camera battery was still on the charger back at the room, whoops!) and it was nice to get back to our hotel quickly and we loved being in the Disney "bubble". We will definitely consider staying there again next time, though all my shortcuts through the GCH and our walk around the DLH grounds have me wanting to experience those as well :)

We have a 2 bedroom suite booked for Thanksgiving week and I'm curious if there are different views for these and where they're located? There wasn't any special place to make a request when we booked online and I don't remember there being a choice of view, so I'm wondering if I should request?

Have been here the last week and a half. Check in was instant at 10am which was awesome. Have had no problems. Lifts get a little busy at 7am, 12pm and 10pm.

We skipped these times and had no probs waiting. Use the glass lift from the bottom floor as no one really uses it.

Great hotel.

I haven't had a problem with the elevators, I am interested however in seeing how the elevators go since the hotel is completely filled for the dates I am there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter