Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think Universal has been empty since the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter opened. If you've been since then, I'd really be interested to know if there is a quiet time of year to go.
It was empty when Irma hit but that was expected though it was a huge risk for us to go down during that time. Hurricane season is risky in general.

The only downside to going in winter (past hurricane season) is cooler (by FL standards) means water rides may not be comfortable. If going to WDW they do a lot of refurbs during that time too.

I didn't think Universal has been empty since the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter opened. If you've been since then, I'd really be interested to know if there is a quiet time of year to go.
We went in September. Stayed in Cabana Bay and did not get Express Pass. We are glad we didn't get it. The lines were very manageable. The longest line we waited in was for Hagrid's at 90 minutes. Because they offered resort guests early admission, we did as much as we could in the morning. Then everything else was not longer that 30 minutes.

But the high school girls in my Girl Scout troop just got back from Universal last week and stated the lines were insane, even with Express Pass. The one morning they waited an hour and a half line just to get in the parks. I don't know if that is because it's summer crowds, problems with staffing, or what, but they said it was insane trying to get food, too, because the lines were so long, even when using mobile order.

But this is a Disney board. It's hard to compare the two. I personally prefer Disney over Universal, but others it may be different.

I know nothing. However, another poster on another thread suggested the FP+ system was utilized in setting up other systems. Like the park reservation system. So, could it be they haven't reinstated the old FP+ system for that type of reasoning? Like it's core has been gutted, repurposed, etc into the genie, or park reservation system - so it isn't technically there to just flip back on? To bring back the FP+ they would have to remove progress they have made to updating to the new system?
Fp+ is not the base program on the new platform. The reservation system is the base. And everything has to work with that and then any additional programs it Interfaces with.

Labor day week...no EP and almost everything was walk on including Gringott's ....Hagrids hadn't opened yet.

I think that's pretty much their intent if they go with a system like that. Those are ridiculously high prices, wonder why no one complains about Universal doing that?
Oh they complain...I read quite a few angry stories on trip advisor reviews. Several talk about how
only the "elite" can go to Universal and have a good time without long lines. I'm sure summer is terrible.
However Jan 20 after a cruise my kids wanted to go to Universal because our flight did not leave until
830 pm. This was a Friday and because i wanted to make sure they got on everything they wanted I
bought express passes. By 4 they called me they were ready. Passes were not even needed as park was
really slow.

So anyone going to Universal depending on the month you don't always need a express pass.
Summertime? yeah most likely. I did read a review where the guy said his family of 4 was so miserable
and hot he just dropped 1200 for the passes so they could get out of the long lines. ouch.

My uneducated stab at this is resort guests and APs will get 3 free FPs. Disney will cut out the free drops of FPs throughout they day but they will be available for purchase. Maybe deluxe resort guests get 4 or 5. Off site guests will be able to purchase.

My uneducated stab at this is resort guests and APs will get 3 free FPs. Disney will cut out the free drops of FPs throughout they day but they will be available for purchase. Maybe deluxe resort guests get 4 or 5. Off site guests will be able to purchase.

It would be interesting if length of stay played into how many you get as well. Maybe 7+ nights gets 5 FPs daily if staying moderate and 4 FPs daily if staying Value. Just the normal allotment when staying fewer nights.

In all seriousness, that's the problem. I wish I loved Universal, I tried to. But it's not my kind of park. HP was fun to see, but outside of that, just not my thing. No insult intended for those that like it, but I don't. So no matter how good any system that they have is or isn't, regardless of the pricing, I don't like it. For me it's not like ok, Disney has ticked me off I'm going to Universal instead. They are two completely different experiences. One I adore, the other I intensely dislike.

MTE. When I read “just go to Universal instead”, I get a little annoyed. Universal is fine if you like roller coasters & simulator rides. If you get motion sick or otherwise don’t do those things, there is practically nothing for you at Universal. WThere is no value at all if you can’t do the attractions.

MTE. When I read “just go to Universal instead”, I get a little annoyed. Universal is fine if you like roller coasters & simulator rides. If you get motion sick or otherwise don’t do those things, there is practically nothing for you at Universal. WThere is no value at all if you can’t do the attractions.
Universal is cool and all but personally for me, after 2-3 days there I'm ready for something else.

The constant comparisons of Disney to Universal are ignorant! If you want to go and stay universal, great! But let’s not be confused, Disney is not Universal! I’ll go to Cedar Point every single time before I’d waste a dollar at universal.

There is no value at all if you can’t do the attractions.
As someone who can't do big roller coasters (ones that loop eta: and have large drops) or simulator rides much at all I still see value in going. That's where it's personal preference that comes into play for both WDW and USO. Then again I was 2 and 3 years old and my parents were taking us to Busch Gardens, Sea World, Universal, WDW, DL, etc so I guess they found value there.

One of my favorite rides is actually High in The Sky at Universal because you get a great view of the park. I love people watching the Jurassic Park ride when they come down for the big splash (although I will ride that one), I love hearing my husband's very distinctive laughter when he goes on the rides by himself (like Rip Ride Rockit) and sorry that's a big value for me, seeing how happy he is, going on the Hulk and all sorts of rides. Watching the Blues Brothers is relaxing too. My complaint is Universal does have an over reliance on simulator rides and I've always been upfront about that on this Board but that doesn't mean the place holds no value for me.

That's the very reason why I say no one has to like either. Personally I get annoyed when people put down either park because it's perfectly acceptable to prefer one over the other just no need to put either down.

Last edited:
The constant comparisons of Disney to Universal are ignorant! If you want to go and stay universal, great! But let’s not be confused, Disney is not Universal! I’ll go to Cedar Point every single time before I’d waste a dollar at universal.
Seen as mentioned Cedar Point I'm assuming you know about their Fast Pass system. I only mention it cause it's the kind of system I have been talking about that Disney should use. No more scheduling your time and it's very limited to how many are available per day. The only real con is the cost.

My late best friend and I loved Disney, but she also really liked Universal.

Before I retired, I often went to work-centered conferences at WDW, and she would come along. While I was at the conference during the daytime, she would go to Universal. One of our trips, we both went - spent the money for the transportation to and from our Disney resort, and got tickets for both parks (Harry Potter had just opened). We saw Harry Potter stuff, took the train to the other park, saw the Harry Potter stuff there, and then went to the Minions, then back to Disney to spend the evening at the Osborne Lights in Hollywood Studios. While I can say I've "been" to Universal, I can't say that I really was enticed to ever go back. Sure the immersion of the HP attractions was wonderful, but everything else just wasn't a huge draw for me. I much prefer Disney. But that's just me, and I don't see myself ever going back.

I love hearing my husband's very distinctive laughter when he goes on the rides by himself (like Rip Ride Rockit) and sorry that's a big value for me, seeing how happy he is, going on the Hulk and all sorts of rides.
That is a sweet comment :love:

Sometimes people forget one of the big things families love WDW is the expressions and joy that their family gets when they are there. Why can't that be the same at other parks including Universal? And don't people enjoy WDW for more than just the rides? Why can't that be the same at other parks including Universal?

As someone who can't do big roller coasters (ones that loop) or simulator rides much at all I still see value in going. That's where it's personal preference that comes into play for both WDW and USO.
You make a good point here. People make comments about WDW just being for kids and we obviously know and feel differently ( :) ) When someone says WDW is just for kids many respond with 'of course not, it's for everyone' Some people see no value in going to WDW (or DL) if they have no kids and that's totally fine, you see value in Universal even though you don't ride those bigger rides or many simulators and I think that's totally fine too :)

Seen as mentioned Cedar Point I'm assuming you know about their Fast Pass system. I only mention it cause it's the kind of system I have been talking about that Disney should use. No more scheduling your time and it's very limited to how many are available per day. The only real con is the cost.
Your posts are normally pro-Universal, which I disagree with on a Disney site, but I agree with your take on Credar Point. My brother is the equivalent of the head of Imagineering for Cedar Fair, so I’m admittedly biased. Although I’ve been enjoying Cedar Point for years, I no longer have to pay anything when we attend. It’s head and shoulders above Universal if want thrill rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter