Our Magical “Welcome Back” 11-Night Northern European (Norway, Iceland, Scotland) Cruise ~ w/ pics ~ August 2022 ~ Completed 10/09!

Most European countries were still out of school including the UK so I was expecting a lot of kids… but not THAT many. It was shocking to see the length of the character lines compared to Greek isles were they were usually just waiting on guests hahaha

Day 5
Thursday, August 18, 2022
Sea Day 1

As per my usual routine, I got up and looked out our verandah window. This morning was nothing but open sea! I don’t know why I have no pictures.

Every morning, we would get a notification from Guest Services about our health.

52340550312_8f66d7cd1f_c.jpg

We decided to eat at Lumiere’s for breakfast. I recall being very uncomfortable and anxious eating at Cabanas on our Alaskan cruise. It was, to put it bluntly, a mosh pit at breakfast. Breakfast at Lumiere’s was very relaxed. However, we didn’t eat there every morning.

After breakfast, I talked DH into a trivia game at O’Gill’s pub. The subject was TV Quotes. This was my first introduction to the entertainment crew. I have to honestly say that I was not as impressed as I have been on previous cruises. I felt like they were simply going through the motions, dialing it in and were obviously worn out. Also, nothing against them, but when reading trivia questions, sometimes they were very hard to understand clearly. You could tell that they were really tired of reading the same questions, over and over!

Anyway, our host this morning was Sam and TV quotes trivia, even though she kept calling them movie quotes, was not our thing!

After a poor showing at Trivia, DH and I met our DNeighbors at Keys for the Stem to Stern Wine Tasting event. We met the ship’s Sommelier, Matija, and he proceeded to take us through the tasting of 6 wines, 3 whites and 3 reds. I am not a wine connoisseur but I enjoy the tastings.

After the tastings, we headed up to Cabanas for lunch.

I noticed that the elevator controls had been replaced since the last time we were on the ship.

As I recall, I went to Ultimate Disney Trivia, which in my opinion was not that tough, and Hero’s Quote Trivia, which in my opinion was very hard! Needless to say, I did not win either. However, I will say that Trivia events on the ship are very popular and a couple of times were standing room only. You start dreading seeing the same teams show up.

We went back up to the room to prepare for our dinner at Palo. It was Formal night and we would be missing our dinner rotation at Rapunzel’s.

I always like to look at the Bridge Report on the TV and see where we have been.

DH and I went to the Captain’s reception in the atrium and got our free drink. We also took a couple of pictures with the backgrounds available. We made our way up to Palo at 6:00 PM. We were thrilled to see that Sasha was back as Palo Manager on the Magic. We were fortunate enough to have him as our dining room server on our 2012 cruise on the Wonder. Sasha remembered us and welcomed us warmly.

Our server at Palo was Hristo (pronounced Christo) from Croatia. Hristo was wonderful! Since we were last at Palo, they changed the way they charge you. You can dine on a pre fixe menu for $45, which includes appetizer, main and dessert. Or you can order a-la-carte like on a real menu. It’s no longer only a fixed $45 fee for dinner. We decided to go A-la-carte! Hristo also explained that you ordered from a menu for brunch. I asked if they still served the sticky buns and Hristo said they did not. Later when Sasha came by, I mentioned how much I’m going to miss not getting sticky buns at brunch, and he said he would see what he could do and talk to the chef. We’ll see!

We started off with our amuse-bouche, which was divine.

We ordered calamari and fried shrimp for the table. Since I do not care for calamari, I got the 1 piece of huge fried shrimp!

I ordered the Ossobuco, for my main course which was the best veal I have ever eaten in my life! The Sommelier selected a perfect red wine to go with it.

Of course, you cannot go to Palo and not order the Chocolate Soufflé!

When I could not possibly eat another bite, Hristo came and said he had one more thing for dessert. Nooooo!

WhewI It was just a plate wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Earlier Hristo had asked if we were celebrating anything. I mentioned that our 29th wedding anniversary was in October. Thus, he had the plate made for us! They are the best!

For the final taste of the evening, Hristo brought us a Limoncello Sorbet Mescado after dinner shot. It was so refreshing and delicious. A perfect palate cleanser.

After dinner our DNeighbors went to see Twice Charmed. I had seen the show before and decided to miss it.

I went to another Ultimate Disney Trivia game at the D-Lounge. Again, not so tough, but still didn’t win.

Graffiti Classics was doing an adult only show in Fathoms, so I talked to DNC and DH to join me. It was absolutely hilarious. I really enjoyed their show. It was also fun to run across them on the ship. The lead brought his wife and daughters with him and we saw them several times at Cabanas and the main theater.

After the show, it was time for bed. We had an early tour scheduled for the morning in Ålesund!

Goodnight Bat!

A personal note about the Navigator App. Now, I was one who loved the paper Navigators. I would save each day’s and then use them when I got home to remind me of when and what I did any particular day. Until I can start taking more detailed notes, I will miss that. However, I really liked that instead of looking ahead a day at a time, I could look ahead for the whole cruise. If there was a particular trivia session I wanted to attend, I could see the entire cruise schedule and plan accordingly. I also enjoyed being able to see the menu ahead of time. It was really nice that I could access our statement without going to Guest Services. When, I remembered, I liked to screenshot what day of the cruise we were on and read about the port we were visiting. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember every day.

Next: A pleasant surprise!

Last edited:
Day 6
Friday, August 19, 2022
Ålesund, Norway

52340561782_a814f10f8c_c.jpg

When I got up at 6:00 AM, we were just arriving into Ålesund. I grabbed my camera and when out on the verandah.

A quick check on the Bridge Report.

We went to Cabana’s for a quick breakfast, and yes, it was a mosh pit! However, when I was searching for Strawberry preserves, I asked a CM and he bent over backwards to find me some and bring to my table. Yes! That is why I love DCL!

After breakfast, we had to meet at the Walt Disney Theater at 8:15 AM for our Islands of Giske & Godøy w/ Lighthouse Tea Break Tour. We selected this tour, because first; it allowed wheelchairs and second; we hadn’t visited this area of Ålesund before. However, I have to admit, I was a bit nervous knowing we were going to drive in underwater tunnels. We had to show our passports and check in with our KTTW cards. We were given sticker number 7.

We waited briefly within the theater and then taken down to Deck 1 to exit the ship.

We boarded our bus and were off. Our guide was Miriam. She was very sweet and actually hailed from Austria.

Our first stop was in Giske to see a very old Giske Church. We couldn’t go in, but it was very picturesque from the outside. Our DNeighbors befriended the couple sitting next to them and found out he was a firefighter from Boston. Well, DNM is not mobile and cannot walk up and down stairs without being basically lifted. Our firefighter friend offered to carry her up and down on his back. DNM loved the attention. It was a big help to our DNeighbors.

The area around the church was beautiful and I enjoyed just taking pictures.

We then got on the bus and headed towards Godøy and the Alnes Fyr lighthouse. We went through more tunnels.

When we arrived at the lighthouse, Miriam went to check to see if we would have tea first or the lighthouse. We were guided to the visitor center where tables were set up with coffee and dessert. It was a Jello/Whipped Cream type of pie and was very refreshing.

They also had a tea station set up. We sat across from a lovely retired couple of New Jersey whose daughter had been stationed in Arizona. It is a small world. We very much enjoyed talking to them until it was time to see the lighthouse.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:
Day 6 Continued

It was a short walk to the base. You could go up to the top, but it was very narrow inside with very steep ladders (think inside a navy ship). Both DH and I opted to wait with DNM while DNC and DNJ climbed to the top.

52340577137_e807d7409e_c.jpg

52340627597_353612c78d_c.jpg

Once we all got a chance to enjoy the beautiful scenery we all boarded the bus. I was expecting to go back to the ship, but no, we were going to Mount Aksla above Ålesund for the incredible view! They have these trains that run from town center to the top of Mount Aksla, but they cannot reverse and the road is narrow at the top. If you encounter one, you have to back up until the train can get by, as our coach had to do.

The weather had been incredible the entire day, but it did start raining when we reached the top of the mountain.

I got this same picture of the Magic when we were here in 2015! This is a marvelous view!

We drove back through town and heard about the great fire and was back on the ship a little after noon. Quick stop in our stateroom and up to Cabanas for lunch. Today they had a German corner with chicken schnitzel and spätzle. Yum!

We took some pictures from Deck 10 and I got my first ice cream cone of the cruise. Oh, and if you're interested, it was not self serve. A CM was serving the cones.

I love seeing the country’s flag that we are visiting fly from the mast.

We were only in port until about 2:30 PM, so we headed to our DNeighbors stateroom and watched us leave Ålesund from their verandah. We shared their complimentary bottle of Prosecco and shared a cheese and cracker plate.

And there’s Godøy, the island we visited earlier.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:

Day 6 Continued

After leaving the verandah, we went to Know It All Trivia at the pub. Again, I don’t know it all.

We then changed for dinner and went to the Promenade Lounge for a drink before dinner. We were in Lumiere’s tonight with the regular Lumiere's menu.

52341785278_6171e09df8_c.jpg

I had:
Margarita
Chilled Lobster and shrimp
Chateaubriand
Grand Marnier Soufflé

It was very good tonight. After dinner, we went to Theme Park Trivia at Fathoms at 7:30 PM. I then met DNeighbors to go to the Paul Zerdin show at the WDW Theater. He was a previous AGT winner.

I really didn’t enjoy Paul Zerdin’s show that much. It was a lot of yelling and repeating the same phrase over and over. I laughed, but it was not something I wanted to see again, so chose not to go to his adult’s only show.

We really noticed, as well, walking back to our stateroom that we were listing to the port side a bit. I looked at the bridge report and noticed that while we were headed almost due west, we had a very strong 45 knot wind coming in to the starboard side causing us to list a bit. We were also rocking and rolling a little.

This greeted us tonight. We were also told to move our clocks back one hour before bed. So we would gain an hour of sleep tonight!

I very much enjoyed visiting Ålesund again, even though we didn’t have a lot of time there. What we did see was breathtaking and the weather was gorgeous all day! The tunnels weren’t nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. I was so glad to be able to get the overview look at Ålesund from Mr. Aksla again!

Next: A Beautiful Day at Sea!

Last edited:
Day 7
Saturday, August 20, 2022
Sea Day 2

52346512954_c91b50d8c6_c.jpg

We are steadily making our way towards Iceland.

We were reminded again to move our clocks back an hour tonight.

We slept in since we gained an hour and went to Cabanas for breakfast. It was a bit brisk outside this morning. The lifeguards were all bundled up.

I noticed these new doors and touchless door openers to the exterior of the ship. You just have to remember to stand well enough back from them when they swing open. I learned the hard way. Ouch!

We ran into our DNeighbors and decided to go to Promenade Lounge and play some games before lunch. Nothing on the Navigator App appealed. DNC had brought some travel size dice games so we learned a new one call Quixx. We played 2 games before going to Cabanas for lunch. They had Pork Schnitzel today! Yum!

At 1:00 PM we had Chocolate and Liquor Tasting in Keys. We had sparkling wine, a red wine, a port and a whiskey all paired with the highest quality chocolate or cheese.

I always enjoy this tasting, even though I’m not a fan of Port or Whiskey. We went back to the stateroom to recover!

At 2:45 I made my way up to D-Lounge for Theme Park Trivia. It was hosted by Cooper. Cooper had her bit, before every trivia she would say that she should read the question 2 times, no more, no less. And, if you asked for a 3rd? Everybody repeat with me, “you would have to buy her a Ferrrari!” This got real old, real fast when she did the majority of the trivia games. Anyway, as she started asking questions, I realized, and I’m sure everybody else did too, that these were the same questions asked at last night’s session. They have several different sets of questions for each theme. I got 23 out of 25 from memory, but 5 tied at 25 correct. You would think that the crew would be prepared for tie breaker questions, but no. Each and every time we had a tie, they would struggle for a tie breaker. Sam’s go to question was to guess her age. Believe me, by the end of the cruise, everybody on the ship new Sam’s age! Anyway, a winner was eventually decided.

I stuck around for Aladdin Trivia and had my secret weapon with DNM. However, we only got 21 out of 26. 2 tied with 26. Another tie breaker was struggled over.

After trivia, we went to our room to prepare for dinner and then met in the Promenade Lounge for a pre-dinner drink. I ordered the Drink of the Day, a Cool Breeze.

Dinner was at Animator’s Palate and was show night with a special guest! I had the Black Truffle Pursiettes, the Pork Cordon Blue and a Cookies & Cream Sundae for dessert.

During dinner, Alexander, our Head Server, told us that it was going to be favorable tonight to see Northern Lights between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM. We were all very excited to be able to see this phenomenon. It might be my only chance and definitely a bucket list item. I made a note to get up tonight to go outside to see them. It wasn’t till later, that I learned that you didn’t have to look to the Northern skies to see them.

After dinner the show started and our guest arrived.

I went to the Once Upon a Song show with our DNeighbors. This is a showcase for the performing cast members to show their stuff and sing classic Disney songs. Normally, I really enjoy this show. The only exception was that all the little kids they brought up to conga line in front of the stage for the ‘Under the Sea” number sat in the entire row right behind me with very little supervision. They could not sit still and they were not very quiet. Every seat that got kicked, I felt. It made it very hard to enjoy the show to its fullest, but the performers were wonderful! At one point in the show a young person, who appeared to be autistic, went up on stage, the performers kept on going, but the boy kept running around, especially after the crew and his parents started chasing him. He was finally corralled off stage and the show went on!

After the show, I convinced DNJ to join DH and myself for 80’s Music Trivia in Fathom’s at 10:00 PM just before the adult show. Unfortunately, I can’t remember a song name, let alone an artist, to save my life. So they played, I was just there for support. There was a new host tonight. She was actually enthusiastic. We didn’t do too badly, but we didn’t do great either. We left before the show started.

After the game, DH noticed land outside the porthole windows. DNJ said, no they’re just clouds. Well, as it turned out, it was the Southeast coast of Iceland!

52345249392_ca5deddd8b_c.jpg

We got back to our stateroom and it was still light outside with the sun still setting.

We decided to go up to the top deck to enjoy it. The water was so smooth, almost like glass.

We went back up to the stateroom and got ready for bed. I debated just staying up and waiting until after midnight to check for the Northern Lights, but I figured I should get a little sleep and set an alarm. At about 12:30 PM, I woke DH up and we went up to Deck 10 to take a look. I have to say, I really didn’t know what to expect. I just thought we would be awed with this wonderful green light in the sky. That wasn’t the case and I was really disappointed. I didn’t take my phone with me (which seemed to be getting most of the Northern Light pictures for others), but I had my DSLR and GoPro.

I took a great shot of the moon rising over the ocean with the DSLR.

But, I saw no Northern Lights, just a glow in the horizon. It wasn’t until I got home and downloaded my GoPro that I saw that I did in fact get pictures of the Northern Lights!!!

The weather didn’t cooperate for the next couple of nights and I thought for sure I had lost my chance. I was so excited! I got to see them!

It was then time to get some sleep because we had a long tour in Iceland later that day!

Next: A magnificent day in a beautiful country!

Last edited:

Evidently, there has been some technical issues with some of the threads on this board. For some reason posts 7-10 and 27-30 are not showing up, including one of my updates. So if you posted and I did not see your post and did not respond, I'm sorry. I apologize for the delay, but I will now update my report where I left off and continue to work around the problem. :blush:

UPDATE: The problem has been fixed! All posts are showing up now!

Day 8
Sunday, August 21, 2022
Reykjavik, Iceland

52345292427_4087a99110_c.jpg

We had finally arrived in Iceland. We had really been looking forward to our 2021 Northern European cruise. DD was going to turn 21 in Iceland. But, the world had other ideas.

Nonetheless, we were really looking forward to this particular port. We were so happy when DCL changed the itinerary so that we would be spending the night in Reykjavik. It really allowed us some flexibility in the private tour we had arranged. Our tour was arranged through Tours by Locals. Our tour was the Geysir to Vik tour which would include the Golden Circle and Southeast Coast of Iceland. Our tour guide was Michael. He was originally from Poland, but now lived in Reykjavik.

We didn’t have to get up too terribly early as we wouldn’t be docking until 10:00 AM. I grabbed my camera and went out on the verandah.

We went to breakfast up at Cabana’s, with everyone else. Ugh! In fact, as we were washing our hands, we were informed that there was no inside seating available. Good thing it was such a mild morning.

Anyway, we weren’t meeting our tour guide until 11:00 AM. You could tell he was a pro, because he knew there was no way we were getting off the ship until then, even though we docked at 10:00 AM. Leslie kept coming over the PA apologizing for the delay in setting up the ramps off of Deck 3. There seemed to be some difficulty. Anyway, right before 11:00 AM we were given the go ahead.

We walked down the ramps and towards the waiting area for the tours. We got our picture taken by DCL. We noticed that there was a nice Icelandic souvenir shop waiting for everybody to get back.

We met up with Michael and got everybody and the wheelchair loaded up. The first part of our tour would be the basic Golden Circle tour. Our first stop would be Þingvellir (Pronounced Thingvellir) National Park. This is where the rift between the North American tectonic plate and the European tectonic plate has separated. You can literally walk between them.

This is also the place known as the AlÞing (pronounced Althing), where the chiefs met for the first time to form a parliament in 936. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as well. There is also the very picturesque Thingvellir Church and buildings.

It really was just a beautiful sight to behold.

Our next stop would be the Gulfoss Waterfall. On the way there we passed numerous farms.

A lot of the farm owners would build churches on the property for tax reasons.

I honestly don’t believe I have seen more sheep than I did this day.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:
Day 8 Continued

Before our arrival, our tour guide Michael, warned us that this was one of the coldest summers in 30 years in Iceland and to dress appropriately. Well, you couldn’t convince us of that, it was an absolutely beautifully perfect weather day. Even Michael commented that we must have brought the Magic with us from the ship! In fact, the sky was so clear; we could see the Long Glacier. The 2nd Longest Glacier in Iceland.

52346835520_840e498247_c.jpg

Icelanders drive vehicles and sled on this glacier. Here is one the tour vehicles you can go on.

Gulfoss Falls! I was so hoping to see a rainbow and I was not disappointed!

They had a nice café, souvenir shop, and most importantly, very nice water closets there.

52346827705_deb2688b33_c.jpg

Our next stop was to be the Valley of the Geysers. Where we saw Geysir and Strokkur.

A word of warning.

I have been to Yellowstone and this area of Iceland reminded me very much of the hot springs, mud pots and geysers found in Yellowstone.

52346398821_ee753cafaf_c.jpg

We finally got to Geysir. This geyser is more reliable than Old Faithful, in that it goes off about every 8 minutes, but it is only one blow and only lasts for a few seconds. If you blink you will miss it.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:
Day 8 Continued

After watching the geyser, we headed out to lunch. Michael took us to a place where they grow tomatoes inside greenhouses, Fridheimar.

52346601078_206c70d417_c.jpg

You literally eat next to the tomato vines. I felt like I was eating in The Land at Walt Disney World. Everything is grown organically using good flies to eat the bad fly’s larvae. They also have thousands of honey bees to pollinate the plants.

They make all their food fresh on-site and were especially known for their bread. It was delicious.

52346354476_a55e27bcff_c.jpg

They literally put tomatoes from the vines directly on the table.

[

They are also known for their tomato soup.

The outside of their restaurant was so nice and the flowers were beautiful.

After the wonderful lunch, we headed towards the Southeast coast and some waterfalls. On the way, Michael gave us some geological history of the island and the Hekla volcano.

It was clearing that you could get glimpses of glaciers.

Our first stop was the Seljalandsfoss Waterfall.. It is about 200 feet high with a path to walk behind the waterfall.

So, we donned our rain gear and off we went to walk behind a waterfall.

Wait for it . . . .

It’s the amazing, the colossal, the stupendous, the 8th wonder of the world . . .

The Backside of Water!!!

It was a beautiful day, but that water was cold and hiking behind it you had to grab rocks to keep your balance. My hands were frozen when we got back out the other side.

To be continued. . .

Day 8 Continued

We then continued on our way.

52346281801_1e51b0e7e1_c.jpg

It was a short distance to the Skógafoss, another 200 foot tall waterfall. You can walk right up to the base of it. We opted to stay back away from the water spray.

After the waterfall we headed toward the cliff of Dyrholaey. We had more glimpses of the glaciers.

We were getting closer to the coast, and our destination was just ahead.

We arrived at the cliff where there was a stunning view of the ocean and the old Dyrhólaeyjarviti lighthouse. We were just in time for sunset.

52345315802_c034ea9a29_c.jpg

Then we walked around the other side of the lighthouse and saw the Dyrholaey Arch and the Reynisdrangar or Three Troll formation.

We got back to the car and Michael had hot chocolate for us. One last look at the sunset and the Mýrdalsjökull glacier.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:
Day 8 Continued

Michael had hot chocolate waiting for us back at the van. We weren’t done yet though, we had one more stop. The Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach. Unfortunately, this is also the deadliest beach in Iceland. When tide is up, the waves can sneak up and catch many people off guard. There is a warning sign before entering the beach.

To be honest, we were more interested in the thousands of Puffins perched on the cliffs. We went on an excursion on a boat on the North Sea to see Puffins in 2015 and didn’t see nearly as many as were here, and we didn’t get seasick either!

It is also known for the basalt cliff and cave.

Sunset from the beach.

52377611836_d975c5cc61_c.jpg

It had been a long and wonderous day and we had a 2 ½ hour drive back to Reykjavik.

13 hours later, we made it back to the port around midnight, where security was waiting inside their trailer for those of us coming back late. In fact, quite a bit of the crew were making their way off of the ship to enjoy the nightlife I suppose.

When we got back to our room, we ordered room service. It had been a long time since lunch.

DH decided to go up to Deck 10 to see if he could see any glow from the currently flowing fissures from the volcano. But, no such luck. It was about 1:30 AM when we finally got to bed.

Next: A quick trip into town.

Last edited:
Your pictures of the Northern Lights are so beautiful! I’m enjoying your report, this looks like a great itinerary.
Thank you. If I had only known what I was looking at I would have taken video and more pics. Maybe next time.
I am loving reliving our cruise through your report- thank you!
Thank you for reading along!

Really enjoying your report! We're going on an Iceland/Norway/Southampton cruise on NCL next year so its fun to see some of the same ports we will go to.

Really enjoying your report! We're going on an Iceland/Norway/Southampton cruise on NCL next year so its fun to see some of the same ports we will go to.
Thank you! You will love Iceland and Norway.

Day 9
Monday, August 22, 2022
Reykjavik, Iceland

I have only ever been on a ship when it spent the night in port once before and that was in San Francisco on our Pacific Coast cruise. It is a nice feeling waking up in a familiar port.

52346952570_c2598c0281_c.jpg

We were up at around 8 and went to breakfast at Cabana’s at around 9. Either a lot of people had early excursions to the Blue Lagoon or a lot of people slept in. Anyway, Cabanas was not as crazy this morning.

It was a much more overcast and chilly this morning than the day before.

Even the lifeguards were bundled up again.

The ship was leaving Reykjavik at 1:00 PM. We decided to go into town for an hour or so before we left, just to say we actually visited Reykjavik. DCL offered a shuttle to the Harpa Concert Hall in town. But first, we had received a letter in our stateroom stating that we would have to present ourselves and our passports in Lumiere’s from 7:15 AM to 11:00 AM for a full Immigration Inspection.

We made our way to Lumiere’s a little after 10:00 AM. There was no line and an Icelandic customs agent quickly stamped our passports and sent us on our way. On our way out, we had to have our KTTW scanned and a red sticker was placed on our KTTW card. It was about 10:30 when left the ship.

We waited a short time for the bus and were able to get DNM on with her wheelchair. Our primary goal was to visit the Hallgrimskirkja, the church in Reykjavik.

On the bus, DH started talking to a woman who just received her Masters from ASU in World War II Studies. The ironic thing was, DH had looked at this same degree a couple of years ago.

We got dropped off. We figured we would just follow the steeple of the church until we found it. It was a bit of a climb from the Harpa.

The Arnarholl Statue of the Viking whose family first settled Iceland.

52381520995_99d8ed4fea_c.jpg

A lot of the buildings had art on them.

We made it.

The statue of Leif Erikson is in front of the church. It was a gift from the United States to commemorate the 1000 year anniversary of the parliament of Iceland.

We went in to look around. The inside is very stark as compared to other churches I have seen. But still quite striking.

But the pipes for the pipe organ are beautiful!

The last shuttle was at 11:45 AM, so we started our way back downhill to the Harpa. We had a great view of the Magic.

We found ourselves at the Solfar, or Sun Voyager Sculpture.

To be continued. . .

Last edited:
Day 9 Continued.

We made it back to the ship and went through the souvenir shop at the port. We were able to get some Icelandic wool gloves and ear muffs as well as some chocolate to take home.

DH ran into another passenger whose family hailed from our neck of the woods who recognized his ASU hat. This world keeps getting smaller and smaller.

We were over a week into our trip and I needed to do some laundry. I figured a half sea day would be a good day to do it. I guess others had the same idea and I could not find an empty washing machine on either deck 6 or 7 that wasn’t either full or about to be filled. I decided to wait a while.

We went to Cabanas for lunch. While at lunch we heard several family names and staterooms being called because they had yet to clear Icelandic customs. I tried for a washer right after lunch and was able to get one! Score!!

The pilot boat pulled up right under our verandah.

52346835574_f8624605cd_c.jpg

We pulled out of port at about 1:40 PM.

I went to Disney Tune Trivia and Toy Story Trivia in the Promenade Lounge and ordered a Tequila Sunrise. More sun than rise.

We passed one of Iceland’s many volcanos on the southern coast as we made our way up and around the west coast of the country on our way to Akureyri.

Dinner was back in Lumiere’s tonight. Tonight’s menu was “World of Flavour.” I ordered the Crab Cake, Cheddar Cheese Soup (which was excellent), Prime Rib and the Canadian Sundae (Butter Pecan Ice Cream).

After dinner we went to Keys to listen to Wil Pearson who was playing Songs from the Movies. Well, there weren’t too many movie songs, but he was very good. While menus for all of the lounges were available on the Navigator App, they also had QR codes on the tables.

Our long tour the previous day was catching up with us, so we called it a night.

We were making progress into the Denmark Straight.

Next: Another beautiful day in Iceland.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter