Our Budget Tips

While I agree for the most part Disney has some great CS. And now the flames. The DP is back some of our go to places have not only made the portions smaller but also cut down on the protein to the point of…. Where is it. The Disney owned CS we ate at were the same as last year but some of the none Disney owned have cut back specially looking at the CS at Mexico where we had to buy a second meal for our 18Yo and my brother for his 16yo…. Never had that issue in the past and yes we were all still hungry after.
They were mostly off by themselves and said Japan was still good.

While I agree for the most part Disney has some great CS. And now the flames. The DP is back some of our go to places have not only made the portions smaller but also cut down on the protein to the point of…. Where is it. The Disney owned CS we ate at were the same as last year but some of the none Disney owned have cut back specially looking at the CS at Mexico where we had to buy a second meal for our 18Yo and my brother for his 16yo…. Never had that issue in the past and yes we were all still hungry after.
They were mostly off by themselves and said Japan was still good.
The DDP is practically worthless now, for sure. Some restaurants exclude certain entrees and other require 2 credits for an entree. One snack a day has been eliminated. Unless you are getting a free DDP with some type of package I don't see the value. You really have to check out your potential eateries and do the math!

I see you were focusing on newbies. It is often a shock when people add up the necessities of a Disney vacation, or their view of necessities. When we first bought DVC in 1996, we got a 3 BR Grand Villa and treated family a few times. Even though we provided rooms and I cooked several big meals, one family in particular was not prepared financially, even though they had been several times before. We found out during the trip they were maxed out on credit cards and bought a 60K SUV right before the trip which made it quite uncomfortable for us as hosts. They complained about not having any money... That was the last time we invited anyone other than our son and DIL (they have brought friends but they get their own villa). We sometimes hear "do you still own that Disney thing" but ignore it?

People are shocked when they hear it is at least 10K for a week for four people (transportation included) and that is a REALLY tight budget. 15K-20K a week adding in ADR's and an upgraded villa...is really easy to reach.

Personally, I think a family that has a "planner" can figure out a good budget, however trips with multiple families can be a disaster. I have helped dozens of friends plan family and multi family trips and everyone came back happy because they were prepared. I'd say the best thing a newbie can do is either find a friend who enjoys Disney planning or going through a travel agent who specializes in Disney so the financial pain is exposed early on!

:teacher:
Over the years, one thing that comes to mind repeatedly is: If going on a WDW vacation is going to financially burden you, #1 don't go until you are very comfortable doing so or #2 Vacation elsewhere

A lot of good money saving tips here.

Once you have a Disney 'budget', decide which things are most important to you and put your money there. Allocate less money to your less important things. Everyone has different 'musts' and there are plenty of ways to make a trip work with most budgets. You will still have a magical time. :wizard:

I am old and I have been to Disney many times and my priorities are still being adjusted. Don't base your trip on anyone else's.

Back in the day, a thousand years ago, I used to stay on I-Drive in a lousy motel and still had a great WDW experience--and that was when there was only MK or after that, MK + Epcot.

Now I prefer to stay in the bubble, but (a) now there are not just Deluxe resorts at WDW--the Contemporary and Poly were the only two resorts on-site back then--and (b) I can afford a somewhat more expensive place to stay than a motel on I-Drive.

But if a not-all-that-great motel were all I could now afford, I'd still go and I'd stay there. I love the parks and the Disney experience.

We have stayed offsite that last couple times and we drive. We like having a whole condo. But 2 things are pushing us back onsite: being unable to avoid early entry and lightning lane changes. If you're staying offsite, it's harder to avoid long lines at the bigger rides. Onsite, we'll do early entry, not pay for LL and not have to pay for parking. Those costs add up.

Yeah, the parking really does add up; our 6 days cost us $180 in parking!

I was surprised by the fact that when you arrive before opening, you can get past the turnstiles. Back in the day, the turnstiles didn't start turning until the clock struck exactly at opening. It really pays to get to the parks early!!

I received a BJ credit card that gives me 5% back on purchases.
They also sell discounted Disney gift cards up to $500.00. The discount for gcs is 5% so that’s a total of 10% off. Which means one day of the hotel stay is free (whooped de doo 😆-look I’m trying).

Also opted in for a DVC room with a full sized fridge since vacation doesn’t mean I can’t cook, in my world. Since we average $100 p/p in restaurant charges for past trips eating mostly at the DVC will mean a substantial savings.

I received a BJ credit card that gives me 5% back on purchases.
They also sell discounted Disney gift cards up to $500.00. The discount for gcs is 5% so that’s a total of 10% off. Which means one day of the hotel stay is free (whooped de doo 😆-look I’m trying).

Also opted in for a DVC room with a full sized fridge since vacation doesn’t mean I can’t cook, in my world. Since we average $100 p/p in restaurant charges for past trips eating mostly at the DVC will mean a substantial savings.
Oh wow! You did get the 5% off Disney gift cards for using the BJ’s credit card? I have avoided getting that card as the terms I saw claimed that gift cards were excluded from the 5% off. I guess I better investigate further.

Oh wow! You did get the 5% off Disney gift cards for using the BJ’s credit card? I have avoided getting that card as the terms I saw claimed that gift cards were excluded from the 5% off. I guess I better investigate further.
I explained it wrong.
When you buy the card from BJ’s the price is already discounted: a card with a face value of 500.00 costs $479.99 and using a BJ credit card and additional 3%-5% is taken off. I don’t know if it’s a cash return or rewards yet but will report back. Last night was the end of a sale that lowered the gc cost by an additional $10.00. There was some confusion over my credit limit (I just open the account). Some paperwork said 1K, some 5K and then their computer said 10K🤷🏽‍♀️. Soo I used a different card so I could have the “pleasure” of arguing with them later 🙄

I explained it wrong.
When you buy the card from BJ’s the price is already discounted: a card with a face value of 500.00 costs $479.99 and using a BJ credit card and additional 3%-5% is taken off. I don’t know if it’s a cash return or rewards yet but will report back. Last night was the end of a sale that lowered the gc cost by an additional $10.00. There was some confusion over my credit limit (I just open the account). Some paperwork said 1K, some 5K and then their computer said 10K🤷🏽‍♀️. Soo I used a different card so I could have the “pleasure” of arguing with them later 🙄
The $500 cards were on sale for $475 previously. They may have just had an additional sale perhaps as the only instant discount that the BJ's card receives is for gas.
As @amcnj pointed out they do not earn rewards on gift cards as it is not one of the eligible items which is why I also use a different card when buying GC's there.

"
1 BJ’s One ® Credit Card cardholders earn 3% back and BJ’s One+® Credit Card cardholders earn 5% back in rewards on eligible purchases of goods and services in-club at BJ’s front-end registers, on BJs.com or in the BJ’s app (minus any redeemed rewards, returns, refunds or credit adjustments) when they pay for these purchases with their BJ’s One ® or BJ's One+ ® Credit Card.

Eligible purchases exclude eye exams, shipping, sales tax, bottle deposits, alcoholic beverages, cigarettes and tobacco-related products, lottery tickets, gift cards, propane, BJ’s Gas®, online optical purchases, membership fees and add-ons, warranties and protection plans, BJ’s services provided by third parties (e.g., BJ’s Travel ®), BJ’s B2B and BJ’s Global Sales transactions. See bjs.com/bjsoneterms for information on excluded services. Eye exams and online optical purchases are not eligible for reward redemption.
"

If you have a chase Freedom/Freedom Flex card you can pay with PayPal from 10/1/24-12/31/24 to get the 5% back though.

Yeah, the parking really does add up; our 6 days cost us $180 in parking!

I was surprised by the fact that when you arrive before opening, you can get past the turnstiles. Back in the day, the turnstiles didn't start turning until the clock struck exactly at opening. It really pays to get to the parks early!!

This!

And even with discounts a rental car is going to cost us $400 for a week. We've had several trips without a car, or at least part of the trip, and didn't miss it. My daughter and her bf just got back and they are too young to rent a car in Florida...so to do Disney they have to stay at Disney.
29236372_20220315104134309_DCM_MrPorterChecksWatch_300x600.jpeg

But 2 things are pushing us back onsite: being unable to avoid early entry and lightning lane changes. If you're staying offsite, it's harder to avoid long lines at the bigger rides. Onsite, we'll do early entry, not pay for LL and not have to pay for parking. Those costs add up.
I agree and as @MICKIMINI stated Time is money and is especially true at Disney.

There are certainly some good tips on this thread.

While this thread is geared towards the first time visitor I only saw a couple of mentions for little kids.

If kids are of napping age and you are off site you will have to fold up the stroller a minimum of 4 times assuming you are coming back. (1. After you arrive at the TTC for MK or at the other parks, 2. On the way back to the car and repeat as needed). Then you still have a minimum of a 20 minute drive in each direction so that would be an 1 hr 20 minutes minimum.

If you are on site you would get that 30 minutes of early entry when the younger kids are up anyways and then head back on a boat or monorail for nap. Yes it is not something you can see coming out of your purse but it is valuable just the same.

I agree and as @MICKIMINI stated Time is money and is especially true at Disney.

There are certainly some good tips on this thread.

While this thread is geared towards the first time visitor I only saw a couple of mentions for little kids.

If kids are of napping age and you are off site you will have to fold up the stroller a minimum of 4 times assuming you are coming back. (1. After you arrive at the TTC for MK or at the other parks, 2. On the way back to the car and repeat as needed). Then you still have a minimum of a 20 minute drive in each direction so that would be an 1 hr 20 minutes minimum.

If you are on site you would get that 30 minutes of early entry when the younger kids are up anyways and then head back on a boat or monorail for nap. Yes it is not something you can see coming out of your purse but it is valuable just the same.
@eticketplease This is a huge consideration. Resorts off property used to advertise "2 miles from main gate" or something which is so misleading for those that have not been to WDW. Kids multiply the time many times over. You have to park at the resort, maybe walk 15 minutes, get the kids settled down, etc and then reverse which could easily add ANOTHER hour. Good to consider!

@eticketplease; @amcnj -natch!
Everyone else is right, I am wrong 😳

Wish I’d seen your responses before I got on the phone with the BJ reps. Fortunately they got so wrapped up with the multiple credit limits sent one day apart via snail mail and their computer limit (no paper trail for that) that didn’t get to push “my non-existent rights” to an additional 5% off 😂

Truthfully, I won’t be using the BJ card much in the future. Beyond the exorbitant finance rate (what if I miss a payment date ?), you spend too much time talking to machines instead of live reps which undoubtedly pushed some buttons for me.

Anyway, whilst waiting on hold I read on Discover’s website that starting October 1, Discover purchases at Targets earn an extra 5% off so might be worthy what with the initial % off using Target membership.

@eticketplease; @amcnj -natch!
Everyone else is right, I am wrong 😳

Wish I’d seen your responses before I got on the phone with the BJ reps. Fortunately they got so wrapped up with the multiple credit limits sent one day apart via snail mail and their computer limit (no paper trail for that) that didn’t get to push “my non-existent rights” to an additional 5% off 😂

Truthfully, I won’t be using the BJ card much in the future. Beyond the exorbitant finance rate (what if I miss a payment date ?), you spend too much time talking to machines instead of live reps which undoubtedly pushed some buttons for me.

Anyway, whilst waiting on hold I read on Discover’s website that starting October 1, Discover purchases at Targets earn an extra 5% off so might be worthy what with the initial % off using Target membership.
I wish @amcnj and I were both wrong and that you could double dip.

Hoping you just buy what you can afford and then pay it off at the end of the month when the bill comes or think of it as a debit card and as soon as you swipe it go in and make a payment.
It isn't a bad card earring 1.5-2% at places outside of BJ's so you could certainly rack up some BJ's rewards.
The good new is that unlike Target Circle rewards you will be able to redeem the BJ's rewards towards gift cards.

Discover will get the 5% back at Target starting 10/1 but just remember to pay it off. The cash back you get from credit cards doesn't matter much if you end up paying interest.

@eticketplease Thanks for the reminder re paying on time. Not really a problem but sometimes I get over anxious thinking about how high financing charges have become in my lifetime. Hate to have that weight on my back!

As for reward points….I adopted minimalism as a lifestyle some years back and find it freeing to stop buying “stuff”. This means I haven’t much use for reward points excepting specific aspects of my life (travel for instance) so don’t think on them much thereby further uncluttering my mind😉. Still, trying to save money to further our Disney stay is a good thing and worth the effort👍🏾

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest