Orlando in September HAS to be hotter than Mars: A Solo TR! UPDATE Page 2

Hi Katie!!

I have been gone from the DIS boards for a little while - just too busy. But I'm glad I came back in time to catch this one at the beginning!!

Next time you're flying in or out of MSP let me know - maybe we'll have time to meet up. I'm about 20 minutes from the airport.

Looking forward to meeting you in person in December. Dave almost slipped and mentioned paying for the cruise in front of Paige today! It was so funny!!

Love your blinged up magic band! Super cute choices.
Wise to rest up that night - that's a long day!

Hi! :wave2: :cool1: So glad you're here!!

I will have to let you know, absolutely. I am looking at flying out of there for this trip, plane tickets everywhere seem just so $$$. But it's New Years time, so it makes sense.

Yes, I am SO excited about seeing you (and others, like Danielle)! I always love a DIS meet! And TOO FUNNY about Dave almost slipping....:scared1: at least he caught himself!

Thanks about the magic band! I love those little jibbit things and anything I can accessorize the band with. :lovestruc

Funny...we fall asleep during a favorite show too.

I have to say I really liked the Halloween stuff available this year.

I love your accessories on your MB.

Woohoo! I'm in! I follow your blog, but I'm terrible at keeping up with blogs! We went at the end of September in 2011 and I thought I would melt every day. So. hot. But the low crowds kind of make up for it :)

Funny...we fall asleep during a favorite show too.

I have to say I really liked the Halloween stuff available this year.

I love your accessories on your MB.

Thanks, Kathy! I really like the accessory options they have for the bands. Makes it a bit more fun and interesting. :thumbsup2

Woohoo! I'm in! I follow your blog, but I'm terrible at keeping up with blogs! We went at the end of September in 2011 and I thought I would melt every day. So. hot. But the low crowds kind of make up for it :)

Welcome! :wave2: Thanks for reading here (and the blog!).

Yes, the crowds are for sure the silver lining in the heat....I had a few days where the crowds were SO low, it was great. :cool1:

I need to get you all a proper TR update, but wanted to share:

In February, I am going on a 7 night Western cruise with my parents. We're also being joined by some family friends who live in the same neighborhood as my parents, and might have a few other stragglers, too! :thumbsup2

Anyway, I did our online check in LATE Saturday night (really, it was Sunday morning) and low and behold - I snagged a Cabana on Serenity Bay!! :cool1: :worship: :banana: :hippie: :love: CANNOT. WAIT. I've had a cabana once before and it was INCREDIBLE. Since this trip is to celebrate my birthday, I thought it was pretty cool that I got some "cabana karma". :laughing:

Have a great day, everyone!

I need to get you all a proper TR update, but wanted to share:

In February, I am going on a 7 night Western cruise with my parents. We're also being joined by some family friends who live in the same neighborhood as my parents, and might have a few other stragglers, too! :thumbsup2

Anyway, I did our online check in LATE Saturday night (really, it was Sunday morning) and low and behold - I snagged a Cabana on Serenity Bay!! :cool1: :worship: :banana: :hippie: :love: CANNOT. WAIT. I've had a cabana once before and it was INCREDIBLE. Since this trip is to celebrate my birthday, I thought it was pretty cool that I got some "cabana karma". :laughing:

Have a great day, everyone!

Woohooooo! I'm still trying to get DH on board with a cruise. Maybe for our 10th anniversary or something. A cabana sounds awesome! I would love to be guaranteed some shade and a chair. Do you have to pay extra for one?

Subbing!

I've always wanted to do a solo trip. I agree with what you said about "making an executive decision"- that must be nice! But I'm sorry you were too tired to go to HS :'-( that's one of my favorites. I usually get my family to plan to go to DTD on the first night when I go- that way I don't have to plan on seeing any special shows, eating at any special place, etc. and I'm not disappointed if everyone in my family doesn't want to go. Plus, I like going to MK bright and early the first morning as my first park ;)

I can't wait to hear about your day at DTD! I've never done a full day there, so I want to know what it's like just shopping and chillaxing for the day. Also, I'm actually really excited/curious to hear about what you've been planning on purchasing for such a long time. Fun!

Woohooooo! I'm still trying to get DH on board with a cruise. Maybe for our 10th anniversary or something. A cabana sounds awesome! I would love to be guaranteed some shade and a chair. Do you have to pay extra for one?

The cruises are the BEST. I love Disney World, always will - - but there is something so special and relaxing about cruising. And Disney does it the best, I think.

You do pay extra for the cabana; I think on the Family beach it's about $500 for the day; on Serenity Bay (the adult beach) it's $400 for the day. So not cheap by any means - but SO NICE to have a place in the shade to relax. There are umbrellas on the beaches but it's nice having your own dedicated placed that is more covered. Both my parents have had cancerous skin cancer moles removed in the past few years; they're 100% fine, but I just thought that having a getaway from the hot sun would be a good thing. Plus you get free sodas and water, snacks, etc. Very fun.

Subbing!

I've always wanted to do a solo trip. I agree with what you said about "making an executive decision"- that must be nice! But I'm sorry you were too tired to go to HS :'-( that's one of my favorites. I usually get my family to plan to go to DTD on the first night when I go- that way I don't have to plan on seeing any special shows, eating at any special place, etc. and I'm not disappointed if everyone in my family doesn't want to go. Plus, I like going to MK bright and early the first morning as my first park ;)

I can't wait to hear about your day at DTD! I've never done a full day there, so I want to know what it's like just shopping and chillaxing for the day. Also, I'm actually really excited/curious to hear about what you've been planning on purchasing for such a long time. Fun!

Thanks for joining in! Welcome!! :wizard:

I will be doing an update soon (either today or tomorrow) so stay tuned! :)

I wanted to be sure and get an update in this weekend - so here we go!

Sunday, August 31st was my first full day at the world. I woke up, packed the few items I'd taken out of the suitcase and called Bell Services to transfer my luggage to Coronado Springs. I wasn't meeting my cousins at Splittsville until 10:30, so it was a pretty leisurely morning.

Everything Pop, however, was a ZOO! It was pretty crazy in there. This was Sunday of Labor Day weekend and although the crowds were predicted to be light during the week, you could tell it was still holiday crowd time. I attempted a picture of the breakfast rush, just to give you an idea.

IMG_4506-M.jpg

After grabbing a quick muffin and Diet Coke, I made my way to the bus stop to catch a Downtown Disney bus. Holy Mother of God, I had forgotten how HOT it is in September - gracious!! Not like your normal heat, or even summer-level heat at Disney. It was center of the sun, we're hotter than Mars, HOT and HUMID which just made it worse. Luckily, the bus came in about 5 minutes and I entered into its air-conditioned goodness! (Whoever invented air conditioning - God Bless You!!)

After a quick ride to Downtown Disney, we were dropped off at the Marketplace area. I had some time to kill as I was there about 20 minutes before they opened at 10:00, so I just sat on a bench and read some emails.

I then witnessed one of my favorite "Aww!" Disney moments. You know those, when you witness something super-cute and sweet between guests, cast members, etc? There was a family with two young boys, and as they were walking by, "Kiss The Girl" from Little Mermaid was playing. The husband remarked to his wife, "Well, the song DOES say to kiss the girl!", and he leaned over to his wife and gave her a smooch. The looks on the boys faces were PRICELESS, a mixture of disgust and embarrassment. So cute!

The stores opened, and I wandered around for a bit. I had about 20 minutes to kill before I had to make my way over to Splittsville, so I wandered in and out of the shops. I was on a mission to see TrenD and the newly redesigned Marketplace Co-op area.

IMG_4512-M.jpg

IMG_4511-M.jpg

WOW! It looks amazing. I was super impressed; it has this "boutique" feel to it, and is very cool. A much-needed update, I think.

I knew my big souvenir purchase this trip was going to be a Disney Dooney and Bourke purse. I didn't want to buy it online, I wanted to see it in person, the placement of the characters on the bag, etc. A very nice cast member helped me look at the bags and inspect each one, and then I made my selection! Isn't she gorgeous?!?!

IMG_4521-M.jpg

I was SO happy; I have been looking at this particular pattern for a few years, and was very happy with my choice.

Giant purse bag in hand, I made my way through the construction are, and to Splittsville. It was a gorgeous day and even though, as mentioned, it was hotter than you-know-where, the sky was very blue and pretty.

IMG_4510-M.jpg

IMG_4513-M.jpg

IMG_4514-M.jpg

I saw my cousins, we greeted each other, and then made our way in for bowling and lunch!

Next time, I'll share how we did bowling (spoiler alert - I suck!!) and my thoughts on Splittsville.

I love your magic band bling! Very cool!

The stores at the Marketplace look lovely. I didn't make it to DTD on my last trip, but I hope to make it there soon. Once they open the parking garage I am so there.

Ugh to the September heat. So. Not. Fun!!!!

I love your giant purse bag!!! Super cute!:thumbsup2

I didn't get to DTD on my quick September trip - I was a little nervous about all the construction etc. so I didn't want to spend the time.
The Marketplace Co-op looks so cool! I do look forward to checking it out.

I love your magic band bling! Very cool!

The stores at the Marketplace look lovely. I didn't make it to DTD on my last trip, but I hope to make it there soon. Once they open the parking garage I am so there.

Ugh to the September heat. So. Not. Fun!!!!

Thanks, Mary Ellen! :cool1: I do like something I can accessorize.:thumbsup2

I hope they open up that parking garage soon; parking is a mess!!

I had forgotten how how September is. I am glad I went when the crowds were low, but I don't know that I'll be doing a Sept trip anytime soon in the future.

I love your giant purse bag!!! Super cute!:thumbsup2

I didn't get to DTD on my quick September trip - I was a little nervous about all the construction etc. so I didn't want to spend the time.
The Marketplace Co-op looks so cool! I do look forward to checking it out.

Thanks, Sheree! I love it; I get people asking about it all the time. :lovestruc

The Co-Op is very cool; I didn't spend as much time in there as I'd like, so next time I will have to. But I love the boutique feel of it - it's pretty fun.

Your new bag is lovely! I adore a solo trip from time to time and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of yours.

I WANT THAT PURSE SO BADLY!!!!

I've been eyeing up that design for years, too. I want the little backpack one, though. So cute.

What a cute moment you witnessed.

I love Downtown Disney. Can't wait to hear your meet up at Splitsville :-)

I have 2 purses with that pattern too. I love it! I am using one right now in fact.

I would like to try splitsville someday too. Claire loves to bowl.

Katie, sorry, a little behind.

Wow...the food court looked insane that morning.

LOVE your bag. That was my first "Disney" bag, but in the smaller version. I recently gave it to a friend since I now have all my Vera's.

I loved that new Co-Op store but didn't end up buying anything.

I can't wait to hear about Splitsville; we are going in May.

Back checking for an update and realized I never commented on your D&B bag. It's awesome. I think the placement of the pattern is perfect. Enjoy!

Your new bag is lovely! I adore a solo trip from time to time and I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of yours.

Thanks!

I WANT THAT PURSE SO BADLY!!!!

I've been eyeing up that design for years, too. I want the little backpack one, though. So cute.

What a cute moment you witnessed.

I love Downtown Disney. Can't wait to hear your meet up at Splitsville :-)

I have been using that bag so much; I get lots of compliments for it when I'm out and about! :)

I have 2 purses with that pattern too. I love it! I am using one right now in fact.

I would like to try splitsville someday too. Claire loves to bowl.

Splittsville was really fun; of course, my iPhoto somehow at my pictures. Grrr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter