Orlando in September HAS to be hotter than Mars: A Solo TR! UPDATE Page 2

DWGal210

DIS Veteran
Hey there everyone! I took a fun-filled, exciting, hotter than you-know-where trip in late August / early September to Walt Disney World and on the Disney Cruise Line. I have been documenting the trip on my blog but wanted to share it here with my old & new DIS friends, too! So, on with the show!

First, an intro: This is me, in front of the castle on Labor Day. This was about 6 minutes before I melted into a puddle on the concrete.

IMG_4594.jpg

My name is Katie, and I'm a single 30-something from Iowa. This was (I think??) my 15th trip to Walt Disney World and 6th cruise on the Disney Cruise Line. In addition to my regular job, I am also a travel agent specializing in Disney destinations, and I write a blog about Disney as well.

I'd been contemplating this trip for a while, because I had heard that Labor Day week is VERY low crowds and I wanted to see it for myself. Then Free Dining came out, and that sealed the deal! I was initially going to do two cruises (a back-to-back 4 nighter and 3 nighter) but couldn't pass up the chance for Free Dining.

It was also a great week to go, because I had Monday off for Labor Day and thus only needed to take 4 vacation days from work, vs 5.

So my trip itinerary was:

August 30th: Depart for Disney World; stay one night at Pop
August 31st - September 4th: Transfer to Coronado Springs
September 4th - September 7th: Cruise on the Disney Dream

I hope you'll read along ~ thanks for coming! :wizard:

I'm in too! Let's see all the fun places you take us.

Plus I finally made 1st page! :cool1:

I'm excited to start posting details, so here is the first part of Day 1! :cool1:

On Saturday the 30th, my day started bright and early; I was on the road to Minneapolis about 5:30AM, which means I got up about 4:30AM. WOW that was early! (And I paid for that for the next few days.) I had an afternoon flight but a meeting with a friend beforehand, and so I got up to Minneapolis a bit early. It was an uneventful drive north, and as it only takes my about 3 hours (and has direct flights to MCO!) I don't at all mind driving up there. I'd rather be in my car for 3 hours, vs waiting in a layover for the same amount of time. Plus, you get on the plane and after a movie, book or nap - you're there! :cool1:

After my meeting, I made my way to the airport - I was ready to get this trip started!

I really like the gates at MSP; they have re-done quite a few of them and they have more seating, as well as desk areas where you can use your computer or use their iPads there for free. There was also a restaurant nearby and although I wasn't hungry enough to order something, that is a nice option. You can order from the iPads at your seat, and they'll bring the food right to you.

IMG_4488.jpg

I also FINALLY got a Coke that had my name on it (not exactly my name, but close enough!). You would think Kate/Katie would be easy to find, but no.

IMG_4490.jpg

When I did my online check in for the flight, I saw there were quite a few First Class seats available. I checked at the Delta counter and they told me it would be about $280 to upgrade - um NO thank you! However, about 2 minutes before we were set to board, they announced they were doing upgrades for $100 to First Class. I hightailed my tush over the desk, and got my 1st class upgrade. I was ready to start this trip in style!

I have flown First Class before, but it had been a few years. Wow, was it nice! The seats are nice and roomy, and we even got a lunch onboard, which was actually pretty good. Wine was complimentary, but as it was 2:00PM I decided to forgo the glass of vino and had soda instead.

(In hindsight, I should have had the wine. Wine ALWAYS puts me to sleep and I needed a nap at that point.)

IMG_4491.jpg

The gal sitting next to me was super nice and we chatted for a bit; she was giving me lots of tips and advice about Orlando. :laughing: I always just sit and nod politely when I get advice; I don't want to be rude and be like I already know-it-all. She finally asked if I'd been to Orlando before and I told her yes, about 15 times and then she laughed a bit and said something like "I guess you know everything!" which I certainly DON'T know everything, but it was a funny moment.

It was an easy flight to Orlando, and we touched down about 5:15. After making my way to Magical Express (and sitting on the bus for about 30 minutes), we were on our way!

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

I had decided to just pack in a carry-on bag and it was SO nice to have all my things with me right away. I love using the ME bus service, but I don't love that it often takes HOURS to get your bags in your room. I've also found that with an evening flight, even though you get in around dinner time, sometimes your bags don't get to you until 10-11PM. :headache:

My Free Dining stay was at Coronado Springs, but I flew in the night before and so needed just one night somewhere else. There was an awesome annual passholder rate at Pop, so that's what I chose.

Check in at Pop took a surprisingly long time, seeing as how I had done the online check in. But come to find out, the system was saying my room was not ready, when in fact it was, and that was delaying me. The cast member couldn't have been nicer, however, and after a quick call to her boss to free up the room in the system, I was on my way.

I had intentions to go to Hollywood Studios this night, and eat at Brown Derby. However, waking up at 4AM was taking its toll on me and so I decided to instead stay at Pop for the night, relax and take a swim in the pool. My room for the night was *right* next to the pool in the 90s section, so it was super easy to take a quick dip before heading out to Everything Pop to get some dinner.

I will get the room and Part 2 of my Pop stay / arrival day pictures in the next few days.

Thanks for reading! :wizard:

Great start, Katie. I figured Minneapolis to be about four hours (but I guess it is for my kids as they are 3-1/2 from Mayo). How are the parking rates there for leaving your car?

Nice job on hopping on that upgrade to First Class when they brought the price down.

I'm glad you had a smooth flight. And too funny about the person sitting next to you telling you all about Orlando.

We have YET to visit Pop. We dropped someone off at the front door and that is as far as we have ever gotten there.

I'm here and ready to follow along!

$100 for a first class upgrade? Yup, I would totally take that one too. :lmao:

Great start, Katie. I figured Minneapolis to be about four hours (but I guess it is for my kids as they are 3-1/2 from Mayo). How are the parking rates there for leaving your car?

Nice job on hopping on that upgrade to First Class when they brought the price down.

I'm glad you had a smooth flight. And too funny about the person sitting next to you telling you all about Orlando.

We have YET to visit Pop. We dropped someone off at the front door and that is as far as we have ever gotten there.

The parking rates are not bad; I park in an off-site lot which is very reliable (Park and Fly, I think they are called). That is MUCH cheaper than parking at MSP. Sometimes I'll also drive up to Minneapolis the night before, and stay at a hotel that lets you leave your car in their parking lot, and takes you / picks you up to and from the airport. Sometimes that is the same price or less than parking.

I really enjoy Pop. It's always very clean, and I think the cast members there are very good. :thumbsup2

I'm here and ready to follow along!

$100 for a first class upgrade? Yup, I would totally take that one too. :lmao:

Hi, Danielle! :cool1: Welcome!

Yes, I was super pumped about that upgrade. I personally can't see spending the money for first class but when you can do a cheap upgrade, I am all over that!

I'm joining in!

Welcome! :wave2: Thanks for reading along!

Yay!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!!!im here, but I'll have to catch up later!!!

So excited to be joining in. Looking forward to both the Resort and Cruise aspect of this report! :)

Thanks again for following along!

So onto Part 2 of my arrival day...

As I mentioned, I had grand plans to go to Hollywood Studios that arrival night, eat at Brown Derby and then watch Fantasmic. Yeah, that didn't happen. I had been up SO EARLY, didn't sleep on the plane and I hit a MAJOR wall. I made the executive decision to stay at Pop Century for the night and rest. Another major plus of solo travel - - I was able to change a plan on the fly, and no one was upset or disappointed! For the win!

After taking a quick 10 minute dip in the pool (it was SO NICE), I decided to grab dinner at the Everything Pop food court. I wanted to try something I hadn't gotten before, and so ordered the fish and chips. I didn't take a picture (bad trip report writer!) but imagine the same standard fish and chips you've all seen before. It was OK; nothing to write home about, but not horrible either.

IMG_4499.jpg

The food court area was still bustling at this time of night, which I was kind of surprised about. It took me about 15 minutes to get my food (they were frying more fish) but the cast members were very friendly and it wasn't a bad wait.

After eating, I decided to wander around the Everything Pop store and see what treasures I couldn't live without. As I expected, they had quite a bit of the Halloween merchandise out, and as I admired everything a friendly cast member came up to me. He asked if I liked Halloween, talked about how much he liked it, said he really liked the merchandise they had this year, etc. A very nice cast member interaction.

IMG_4501.jpg

Before I left home, I considered going to MNSSHP; Monday of my trip was the first night and so it would have worked out time-wise. I hadn't bought my ticket, yet, and so I continued to hem and haw about it. You'll have to stay tuned to see if I actually went. :)

After my window-shopping experience, I went back to my room and decided to call it a night. I got out my Magic Bands, chose the one I wanted for the next day (and accessorized it, of course! I do love me an accessory). I only remember watching about 10 minutes of Law & Order before I drifted off to sleep.

IMG_4505.jpg

The next day, Sunday, would be my first full day of the trip and includes:

* Meeting up with family

* Bowling at Splittsville

* And making a purchase at Downtown Disney that I have been considering for a few years.

Thanks again for reading! Stay tuned for the next installment! I will also post pictures this weekend of my room at Pop. :thumbsup2

Hi Katie!!

I have been gone from the DIS boards for a little while - just too busy. But I'm glad I came back in time to catch this one at the beginning!!

Next time you're flying in or out of MSP let me know - maybe we'll have time to meet up. I'm about 20 minutes from the airport.

Looking forward to meeting you in person in December. Dave almost slipped and mentioned paying for the cruise in front of Paige today! It was so funny!!

Love your blinged up magic band! Super cute choices.
Wise to rest up that night - that's a long day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter