Opening of Old Rides

Pavy

Earning My Ears
I read on WDWmagic.com that COP and Timekeeper where supposed to be open in mid-February. Is this true? I thought Timekeeper we closed for good and COP was still in limbo.

Please help!

I don't thing there's been anything official. My understanding is that they were open over President's Day weekend, but the rumor is that maybe it.

Both are listed at Disney.Com as seasonal attractions.

Honestly, and I know I'm in the minority, CoP needs a makeover if it is to remain. If adding a scene is not possible, then the "past" scenes should be reworked into one fewer than there are now, allowing a better transition to more recent past and the future.

I really like Timekeeper.

Raidermatt,

I agree with you. While I feel really fond of COP, it hurts me to see the condition its in--witih the smell of oil and the several stains on curtains I noticed last time. And yeah, the scenes do need updating. Like you, I'd love to see a major make-over just to honor Walt--but if the current command isn't willing to do that, then maybe it's time to move on.

And, like you, I really like Timekeeper, too!

Joe
A Walt Disney World Outing

From what I hear, TK and CoP are going to be "sponges" (my term). They open them in the bussy times so people can go there instead of the 4 hour lines for SPMtn., SPMtn., & all the others. Thus reducing the complaints of people.

Yup, they are "Crowd Control" rides...open only during peak times (when they don't know what the heck else to do), at least until they tear into them and make them into whatever monstrosity they think will be a money maker.

I love CoP, but have always complained that the jump from 40-NOW is too much. Why not just leave it as it ORIGINALLY was? The last scene in the 60s. It gives everyone a laugh to see how progress was SUPPOSED to be. The jump doesn't work. And it is heartbreaking to see how little care "Walt's baby" gets.

Timekeeper is another excellent show that just doesn't get any breaks, does it?

they were using that as a character greeting area...i was so mad to see it was closed......but im very happy t see figmant is coming back

Just to let everyone know. I was down for new years and BOTH timekeeper and CoP were open. Both are favorites of mine. As we were told, Both will remain active and open during very heavy crowd times. They currently have no plans of a remodel But they also have no plans of tearing them down.

Ps I like the time jump on CoP. It shown what people thought the future would look like. Besides if they changed the seans then it wouldnt be "Walt's Baby" anymore. The only was for this to be true would be to keep it the same. Clean it up definatly, but keep it the same. After all thats what we all fell in love with, isn't it.

Hi Eccflash....

Too late...they've already changed 'Walt's Baby' (a couple of times?). When COP opened at the NY Worlds Fair in '64 the final scene was the Sixties. That was the COP I first fell in love with (impressionable 6 year old that I wuz!). Here is a photo of the original closing scene:
http://www.nywf64.com/wolfe79135.html

But I'm not going to be picky....I'll take the current edition of COP over no COP at all! Clean it up and open it up!

eccflash wrote:
>Besides if they changed the seans then it wouldnt be "Walt's Baby" anymore. The only was >for this to be true would be to keep it the same. Clean it up definatly, but keep it the same. >After all thats what we all fell in love with, isn't it.

CoP is and always will be one of my favorites. The only thing I do not like is the last scene. The old ski equipment really bothers me for some reason. I also love the Tomorrowland Transportation Authority. I find both to be very relaxing after a long day at the parks. I really hope they do not get rid of CoP. I hope they take the effort to renovate it. I know it was Walt's dream...but Walt also dreamed of the future. I think he would want us to update it to reflect our times.

ubetiski- I agree. Walt did not expect DL to freeze in time upon his passing. I think what bothers people about attractions closing is that they sometimes are not replaced with something new and exciting. Justified or not, that feeling has become more pervasive lately. 20k, Sky ride, Rocket Rods, etc, have all disappeared without a real replacement. If CoP was closed with the announced intention of reworking it or replacing it with (insert new exciting attraction here), I don't think the complaints would be as loud.

Also, closing Timekeeper at the same time just raises more suspiscion. Two Tomorrowland attractions shut down at the same time without a clear plan for the future doesn't come off as the way Walt would do it.

ubetiski- I agree. Walt did not expect DL to freeze in time upon his passing. I think what bothers people about attractions closing is that they sometimes are not replaced with something new and exciting. Justified or not, that feeling has become more pervasive lately. 20k, Sky ride, Rocket Rods, etc, have all disappeared without a real replacement. If CoP was closed with the announced intention of reworking it or replacing it with (insert new exciting attraction here), I don't think the complaints would be as loud.

Also, closing Timekeeper at the same time just raises more suspiscion. Two Tomorrowland attractions shut down at the same time without a clear plan for the future doesn't come off as the way Walt would do it.

I think CoP should be left the way it is and kept open. The newer rides have migrated to MGM Studios, which isn't in itself bad, but the nostalgia of the ride it a large part of what makes it so enjoyable as a break before or after Space Mountain. Sure, some of the stuff is old, but it's how Walt Disney designed, and very few things in the Disney parks can say that. If nothing else, at least leave Walt Disney's ride alone.
:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter