Ok...I HAVE TO ASK....

3littlepeas

Mouseketeer
We are booked for our 2nd trip to WDW with our 3 sons (4,6 and 9) Dec 4 to the 14th....I really want to stay on property but the prices are soooooooooooooo ridiculous.....I've been lurking on the resort board and I can't beleive how it is so easy for people to book hotels like AKL, WL, GF or whatever....is it b/c I'm canadian or I don't know... but I keep trying to crunch the numbers and I can't afford anything more than 2 connecting rooms at an all-star resort....and somehow, I'm not too excited about this scenario....or we try and bid on Priceline and hope to end up with Swan or Dolphin... but this also doesn't look too appealing.....Is everybody a millionnaire??? or is there a trick I don't know about ??? Do you have insight on what the next Canadian deal will be, I'm hoping one will be available when we go.... Thanks a million :teeth:
Julie-the-poor-canadian :confused:
(God, I'm such a baby....:)

Early December is one of the slower times at WDW, and a quick check of the historical discounts on Mary Waring's mousesavers.com website shows room discounts have been available for that period for each of the past two years. I would expect those discounts should be announced by Labour Day or so.

A cheaper alternative to 2 connecting rooms at the AS would be to get one of the rooms at Port Orleans-Riverside (formerly Dixie Landings) which has 2 queens and a trundle bed and can sleep 5. The rack rate for early December at PO is US$138, with an additional $15/night for the trundle bed. If you are a CAA member there may already be discounts available for that resort at that time.

Where are you booked to stay?

- Mike

One word -- codes. For example we went to WDW in April of 2002 -- the only reason we went was because of a Cdn deal that allowed us to get CBR for I think $99/night US. That made the trip doable as the rack rate at that time was I believe $180/night US -- it was right after Easter. We ended up going back to WDW in September of 2002 (should have bought AP's but who knew) and we stayed at ASSp for $47/night US. We could have stayed at CBR again for a little more but decided to stay at ASSp because we had never been there and for the price couldn't be beat. In retrospect maybe should have booked CBR and we would have been bumped up to a deluxe for only a little more.

This October we are doing the cruise and then staying at CBR. We were debating whether to forget the week at WDW or move to and All Star rather than CBR because of the cost. The cdn at par deal came out and suddenly the room is $500US cheaper for the week. We also looked at the FairyTale package but decided to get AP's instead.

With the Cdn at Par deal this time we could have changed to a deluxe but we decided to buy AP's and hopefully go back a couple of times -- matter of choice really.

We are not millionaires -- do you want to pay off my student loans for me? :D But I've stayed both onsite and offsite and difference in price is worth it to me to pay to stay onsite.

Last year they did extend the Cdn at par codes through Christmas -- in fact I believe that they ran from August 2002 - April 2003. You should check mousesavers.com because last year the codes weren't available for very long -- I believe the extension to April 2003 was only available if you booked btn Oct 15-Nov 15th.

Sorry this is so long. I would book the rooms and then wait for codes to come out.

The first Disney vacation I took last May, I thought I couldn't afford the Disney resort rates either. Of course I was looking at the rack rates and packages which are very expensive :rolleyes: So I ended up staying at the Wyndham in Downtown Disney ... This year, I learned about the codes and I was able to book a stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort (7 nights) and Animal Kingdom Lodge (4 nights) for the same price as my 6 day vacation last year. Go figure!

The Mousesavers site is the best place for codes. She even has a e-mail update service which you can sign up for. That way, you'll know as soon as the codes are released. Also keep an eye on the resorts board ... someone usually posts as soon as they know something. You can also get discounts if you have CAA/AAA, Disney Club membership or an annual pass to WDW.

thanks you guys....I already knew about mousavers.com and "the codes" I guess I'm just frantic right now b/c no codes are available for the time we are going...but you just cheered me up by saying that "they should come out"....
we aren't booked anywhere yet, when we went in Jan 2001 we stayed at the Doubletree guest suites in WDW which was very nice but I really wanted to stay on site at one of the "official resorts" this time, DH doesn't understand why and keeps telling me to go ahead and book the same hotel we stayed at 2 yrs ago...anything I should tell him to convince him to stay on site????also, do you think I should book something right away and wait for codes to come and cancel or just wait for codes to book since we are still 5 months away...do you book with CRO or a travel agent?
Thanks
Julie

You can tell your DH that you don't need a car if you stay on site (I'm guessing you're flying?) Disney Resort Guests get superb themed swimming pools, wake up calls from the mouse himself, Disney resort channels which give you Disney info updated for that day, early entry, souvenirs delivered to the resort (this is soooo valuable), and a bunch of other perks.

It's not really that expensive. The hotel I stayed at for my last conference in NY Ny was twice as expensive as value season rack rate for POR.

Good luck!
Mort.

Some people book themselves through CRO - they enjoy the thrill of the hunt as codes become available. Others go through a TA. We booked a room at WL two years ago through Dreams Unlimited and the advantage to using them is that they will continue to check after you've made your reservation and if a code comes available for which you're eligible they will have Disney apply it to your reservation. Unfortunately, we were there Dec 27-30 and there were absolutely no codes of any sort. :(

If you're worried that no codes are available yet for your travel dates, a look at Mousesavers' historical database shows that the 2001 discounts for December were available on August 8, 2001, and for 2002 starting on July 22, 2002. So don't give up hope - I would expect to see something announced within the next few weeks for early December.

- Mike

I am going the first week of Feb. and am getting worried about booking a room (I love to plan ahead) but keep waiting to see if something comes available. Also trying to decide if we should get passes (4, 5, 7 day passes) or what used to be called LOS passes. We will only be able to see Disney for 3 days. The first day we won't get there till late afternoon and we have to leave first thing on the last day. Wed, Thurs, and Fri are the only days we will be there all day. The LOS passes if we got them would we need a 2 day or 3 day pass in order to get the 3 days. I would make separate reservations actually for the Tues. night and the Fri. night. I can't make up my mind. And if I want to see if Caa is available who is better to call with a better cancellation deal. CRO or WDW? Do Caa discounts have to be called in by the CAA office or can I do my own? I want to transfer to DU after I get the discount how do I do that? Do I have to have an agent first? Boy oh boy I think having a baby is easier than this.......LOL
Anyone able to answer any of the questions? I know codes will be coming out soon but was thinking that if I had DU in the picture I wouldn't have to worry about that.
tigercat

tigercat....
from what I have read, CRO offers a better cancellation policy than WDW, also they only require 1 night deposit rather than 200USD when you book through WDW...they should also be able to tell you if a CAA rate is available....keep me posted if it's worth it I might become a CAA member LOL...which hotel are you contemplating? what is a LOS pass? I could be wrong BUT since the canadian deal has been "at par" on hotels for such a long time, it would not surprise me if they brought back the "buy one pass get the second one half-off" which is OK I guess....but I really wanted to please the boys and stay at AKL...
Julie

OK, tigercat, ready? Deep breath......

1) Passes: I have read you can get either the arrival or departure day dropped from your UMP (old LOS) but (generally) not both. If you want to make a separate reservation for the last night to accomodate your UMP, you run the risk of having to change rooms for that last night. Personally, I'd stick with the Hoppers. If you're not planning on doing any of the water parks or PI, WWoS, DQ, etc., the do a cost comparison of a 3- or 4-day UMP with the Hopper. I'll bet the Hopper comes out ahead because you're not using any of the other facilities you'd pay for on the UMP.

2) CAA discounts should be out now, according to Mousesavers. You can call CRO directly to book those - all you may have to do is present your CAA card at check-in. If you book through CRO you only have to pay the one-night's deposit with the standard (5-day??) cancellation policy.

3) To transfer an existing reservation to DU, I think all you need to do is contact them with your reservation number - they'll do the rest.

4) In the past, discount codes for early Feb have been announced anywhere from the end of October through mid-December. Check the link I posted previously.

5) My wife had two kids and I was present for both deliveries. Trust me, this is easier. Waaaay easier. :p

- Mike

[breathing normally again...]

Another option would be to surf over to the DVC rent/trade board and see if you could find someone to rent DVC points from. Standard rental rate is about US$10 per point. At Old Key West, a 2 bedroom is 22 points per night Sun-Thurs and 54 points per night Fri-Sat (218 for a whole week) or 2 studios (which are bigger than regular hotel rooms) would be 16 points per night Sun-Thurs and 40 points per night Fri-Sat (160 for a whole week).

These are about on par cost-wise with 2 All-Stars rooms (don't forget the extortionist room tax), but have more space. The 2-bdrm has a full kitchen and laundry, and the studios have a mini-bar and kitchenette.

Something to think about anyway.

We're not millionaires, but we are DVC members which helps a whole bunch in keeping the costs down.

We have gone twice in early Dec. and have always gotten great rates on mousesavers. One year it was $99. at POR. The other year was 149 @BC. Another savings might be to book Tiffany Town car to pick you up at MCO. It costs $90 us return and will take all of you. There is a $5. off coupon on their website.I will never use Mears again.

Mike LOL. Actually I have had 4 children so you are right, this is easier but the suspense.............. Thanks for all the info that is helping my breathing a little I think....... Trying to figure out whether to go to Pop Century or PO. Got to talk to my dh. The # for CRO is I am assuming somewhere on the Resort board? ...breathing is slowing somewhat...feeling a little better.thanks all.
tigercat

Two things about Pop Century (PC?). 1) It's a new resort, so they might not be offering many discounts after it opens (novelty factor). 2) It's a value resort, like All-Stars. You'd likely get a bigger bang (or room :p ) for your buck at PO.

And unless my aging memory fails me, the number for CRO is 1-407-WDISNEY.

- Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter