Oh Sweet Mother of Bread Pudding...What have I got myself into? 9/26 Update!

At the western most end of the strip at UT (Kingston Pike/Cumberland Ave) if she is familiar with UT, it is where Guthrie's chicken used to be, close to Mellow Mushroom. They have a combo meal that is a burger or chicken sandwich or whatever, 2 sides (umm yeah they even consider a corn dog or chicken nuggets to be a side) - I personally like their onion rings, and a drink for right around $4.50 or for an extra dollar you can get a shake instead of a drink. menu pic

Thanks! I'll print this out and take it with us over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'l all about find good yet easy on the pocketbook eateries.

You're very right about this! I used to eat fast food ALL of the time (like quite a few times per week) and in the last year I've probably had it 5 times or less. Now, my hubby is in Afghanistan right now but if he was home he'd eat McDonald's 3 times a day EVERYDAY if he could. I'm hoping that I can get him to like homemade and healthier food (he grew up eating junk food). I also like to eat at 1-2 family owned restaurants near our home. I hope that your post sparks even a few people to make small changes.

I also had to :lmao: when I read the bold section above about pouring over the WDW menu's online but we don't spend 5 minutes looking for a new restaurant to try back home. It's very true!

Well, I have a couple of opinions -

First - Yelp.com is a great help in finding some great local places... I love watching some of the tv shows, for us in Chicago there is "Check Please" (which I understand is also found in other local markets, restaurants reviewed by locals) but when I go to a "mom and pop" I always try and review and post pictures and menus up on yelp.com - I think its a great resource when visiting other cities...

and dont forget, that often times your local McDonald's ( Burger King, Wendy's Culvers, etc ) is owned by someone independent - and is hiring kids in your city - it seems easy, but in reality, it is so much more confusing -

Ok, finally caught up again. The season is over and I have time to be on the Dis again!!!:banana:

So sorry to hear about what happened to CArsyn. I'm glad you found out while you were still around to do something about it. And what poor judgement on the young man's part. Your kids are strong like their mama, though. Carsyn will pull through this and still have her love of disney intact.

I'm going to call you today or tomorrow so we can discuss the upcoming trip. Not long now!!!:woohoo:

WOMAN! I'm waiting for your ADR list here! :surfweb: :laughing:

Stacy are you there at the same time, too? We are the 21st-30th.

Ok...here is the dealio! For the past two weeks I have been dealing with several family fires and need to get this darn thing accomplished by the end of the week before we leave!

First - Carsyn flew home two Saturdays ago for a week at the last moment. Her Interstem implant (like a pace maker for her kidney function) was acting wonkey and her Doc's wanted her back ASAP to figure out if it needed to be replaced (via surgery) or if it could be reprogrammed.

There is not a cheap flight if you are wondering with two days notice out of Greenville, SC which is 30 minutes away from her college. So we found a reasonable one out of Atlanta and thanks to Lara, :littleangel: our Dis Atlanta angel, she helped Carsyn get to and from the airport after making the two hour drive at 4 a.m. to Atlanta from SC on her first leg.

***They were able to reprogram the device and all seems better now plus they could do a battery read on it and it looks like she should not need it replaced for at least 3 years still! (5 year life span usually and she is at 2 1/2 years in so that is great news...unless he breaks it!)

The rest of the family crud is not important but time consuming and has resulted in me needing to find last minute a person willing to house sit/oversee Baylor and the dogs while we are gone. Love when you have something planned for 6 months and then at the last minute someone backs out of their commitment and leaves you in a lurch. Baylor is 15 and does not need a nanny but he will need rides since he cannot drive etc., while we are gone.

Person found on Sunday thank heaven! :worship:

The good news:

Disney has indeed came through after my call to DVC and all the follow up with the person originally involved at Guest Relations at Epcot. As it stands now there will be AP's for Carsyn, Dan and myself and tickets for the rest of the Christmas group including my sister, Treyner and Baylor. There is a possibility that Treyner and Baylor may also have AP's. Dan and my AP's will be waiting for us next Monday when we start our honeymoon. Then we will meet up with the Guest Relations individual we have been working with, to get in person the rest of the tickets. I will know then what they finalized for the boys.

I am sure there will be some legal document for us to sign as well saying we are satisfied with the compensation and do not plan on suing their ears off. This is an assumption but one I would do in their oversized black shoes.

We also will have priority seating for the Christmas parade and fireworks at MK one night for MVMCP as well as for Illuminations at Epcot.

We have made reservations at a restaurant in the country the incident happened at and was told by the manager that we would be "his" guests, when he called to apologize on behalf of himself and his country's representatives a few days after it happened.

Now this could mean we get a nice table with a bowl of strawberries to greet us or could mean he will comp our check, not sure and honestly don't care. His call was a nice gesture and whatever being a guest of this place entails, it will be appreciated.

I just wanted to share the outcome since I had spoken about the incident and make sure to tell everyone here that although their were bumps in handling things in a timely order, like many have said from their experiences, Disney will do the right thing and how you handle your end makes a difference as well.

I know I was evasive in the description but believe me, if I had told even one media person about it, there would have been a massive backlash and negative publicity and that was not my intention. I wanted Disney to make some changes and understand the magnitude of it and they did. Without a doubt I believe that and although I appreciate the tickets and the extra's, believing that a place you love and have entrusted your family with, gets that trust, is the most important thing ever.

As a DVC member we get magazines throughout the year and the most recent one introduced a person who is coming onboard at DVC but carries a long history of working for Disney with her. She said something very important and summarized perfectly what I was trying to spit out about the real hurt we felt as a family with the incident. The betrayal of trust Carsyn experienced just trying to enjoy her birthday at a place she considers her other home.

Her name is Claire Bilby and she now is Senior Vice President, Disney Vacation Club.

"Disney Vacation Club Members, perhaps more than anyone, regard Disney as part of their families. You haven't just invested financially in future accommodations; you've invested emotionally in the hopes and ideals upon which this company was founded. You've made dream vacations a priority for your family, and you've trusted Disney Vacation Club to make those dreams come true." :lovestruc

Ok - now I will get a bunch of reviews done and just for Tricia so she stops having a conniption fit :lmao:,our dining plans for our October trip which starts next Monday that I just finalized last night!!! :scared1:

Ok - now I will get a bunch of reviews done and just for Tricia so she stops having a conniption fit :lmao:,our dining plans for our October trip which starts next Monday that I just finalized last night!!! :scared1:

I'm glad you finally got some resolution with that whole mess! What a pita it has been from the beginning!

And yeah! It's about time you get this party started! :rotfl:

Oh, and I'm still :sad: over your change!

Just put the new Food Report thread up...should be easy to find!!! ;)

I'm very happy to hear that Disney came through after the incident with Carsyn!! I am excited to hear the rest of your reviews too. You do such an amazing job!!

How nice to be called an Angel!!!
So glad they were able to help Carsyn!!!
Glad everything seems to be working out well for you and your family now!
I hope that you and Dan have a WONDERFUL honeymoon!!!!
:lovestruc

Hey guys. I swear I will get at least one post done today.

As many of you know Baylor was burned in a bonfire accident at a friends house Halloween 2008. The settlement piece is just underway and yesterday had to decide if we will go solo trying to settle with the insurance companies or hire an attorney.

Let's just say when the adjuster for their homeowners tells me, "It is what it is and neither you or I was there," I do not hold out hope this will go well. The first adjuster was awesome, this is the third guy this has been handed to as people have left and he is not acting like the first guy who said, "our customer is 100% responsible."

So it has been an emotional few days, and since yesterday at 4 p.m. when the attorney called we have hired, to tell me he wants the first meeting to be on Friday...I have been here, perusing old posts and so happy I wrote about it on the Coping and Compassion thread as well as a lot in my first TR.

48 pages of reading, "Did Pluto just give you a lap dance?" Pulling out relevant things to his case, his ordeal and copy/pasting it all was not the most fun but there were a few things that struck me.

#1 Baylor looks so different now, three years later. Night and day.

#2 It is still emotionally raw to relive all this and hear him get upset retelling the events. Last night he punched the bathroom door as he walked in, crying and angry because he has to do all this three years later. That is not Baylor but it is Baylor when he feels weak and vulnerable and has no control about pieces of his life that will impact him huge. He came out a few minutes later, composure in check and sat down with me dictating his story for almost an hour, literally roll playing where he was standing , how he tried to pat it out, his leg position, everything.

Now as a funny since this is just depressing...

#3 I really do miss writing my TR's and darn it...I am a funny writer!!! ;) If you laugh out loud at your own writing you must be decent right?

Or sleep deprived...which is a strong possibility.

I feel I have enough to hand him to start with and can do more when we get back from the trip but I need a break from all the heartache that time frame was. Literally sobbed yesterday after getting off the phone with the adjuster because I know what lies ahead and seeing all these pictures of his burn, his graft site in the hospital and how skinny he was for our Dec 2008 trip, is hard even three years later to see.

So I am off to get something to eat, take a long bath and see a football game of Baylor's at 4 p.m. that is 45 minutes away. If I don't write before I go, I will absolutely get a post in tonight. I need some positive writing in my head!!!popcorn::

Aww, hang in there Dawn (and Baylor -you too!) :hug: I can only imagine how hard it is to have to keep going through it again and again. I hope things go well and you can soon put that piece of it to rest. You are right - you will need a good vacation!

And YOU ARE A FUNNY WRITER!!! I also have seen the changes through the TRs in your pictures of Baylor (all your kids actually, but his is most prominent.) I bet it's funny to look back and think how small or young they looked and then look at them sitting by you and he's taller than you!

I always get a little excited when I see you have posted on your TRs. I go to it first on my list of subscriptions because I know it will make me feel better and :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Funny writer - where did you go?
Ugh - hard to type when you have the hiccups!

Big hugs Dawn! You have to be one of the strongest people I have the pleasure of (virtually) knowing. Your kids are super lucky to have you as a mom!

Jill in CO

I just realized how long it's been since anyone's posted....everyone still alive over here? I miss my Dis friends....how is everyone?

We're all still here - waiting until Dawn has time to post again, sometimes life just gets in the way.

HI Dawn. I saw your TR got bumped tonight. I know your life is crazy right now, but I hope all is well! We miss ya girl!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter