Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I usually wait til about 3 weeks out to place my order, and then I call a day or two beforehand to reconfirm all the details. You can place your order whenever, but always reconfirm it, especially if it's been a while since you placed it.

It'll be our 25th wedding anniversary on the 28th and we're having dinner at the Contemporary. I want to do something fantastic but I honestly have no ideas at all. I think a Tamatoa (the shiny crab from Moana) themed cake would be glorious but I'm not sure how to connect it to a 25th anniversary. This whole creativity thing is not something I'm great with.

I don't have any design ideas but I just have to say that a Tamatoa cake is perfect for a 25th anniversary since that's the "silver" anniversary year! I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous!

I just called to order my cake:
“These are 6” cakes ranging in price from $55-135...what’s your budget? Who is her favorite character?”
I explained Chip & Dale and she said they would be flat printed characters, I asked if there were any pictures, she said no, so I just made up a theme of Hawaiian with flowers and surfboard and told her my budget was under $100.
She then says, blue buttercream icing with wave at the bottom, chocolate/chocolate, flowers and the price will be $95.
For a 6” cake?? Am I going to be disappointed?? This is the Grand Floridian Bakery. They are bringing it to our table, are we also going to be charged delivery fee and gratuities on top of $95? I just feel I want to see a cake I’m getting for that and maybe just order a $50 cake from another bakery and pick it up myself???

I just called to order my cake:
“These are 6” cakes ranging in price from $55-135...what’s your budget? Who is her favorite character?”
I explained Chip & Dale and she said they would be flat printed characters, I asked if there were any pictures, she said no, so I just made up a theme of Hawaiian with flowers and surfboard and told her my budget was under $100.
She then says, blue buttercream icing with wave at the bottom, chocolate/chocolate, flowers and the price will be $95.
For a 6” cake?? Am I going to be disappointed?? This is the Grand Floridian Bakery. They are bringing it to our table, are we also going to be charged delivery fee and gratuities on top of $95? I just feel I want to see a cake I’m getting for that and maybe just order a $50 cake from another bakery and pick it up myself???

If you have it delivered to a restaurant there will be no delivery fees or gratuity (unless you trigger the restaurant's automatic gratuity by using Tables In Wonderland or having a group of 6 or more). The only bakery that allows pickups is BoardWalk Bakery.

Here is a beach-themed cake created by the Grand Floridian pastry team:

GF%20Beach%20Cake_zpsvdftxp7e.jpg

Has anyone had any issues with getting a response when ordering a custom cake? I have called the cake ordering line for Boatwright’s and left 2 messages over the last 2 weeks. No one has returned my calls. Is there any other route I can take to try to order this cake? I have a few weeks, but I want to get moving on this. I ordered a cake last year for a different restaurant & had nothing but good experiences and quick turnarounds. Now, when I call, everything is funneled down to the individual restaurant and I am getting nowhere!

Has anyone had any issues with getting a response when ordering a custom cake? I have called the cake ordering line for Boatwright’s and left 2 messages over the last 2 weeks. No one has returned my calls. Is there any other route I can take to try to order this cake? I have a few weeks, but I want to get moving on this. I ordered a cake last year for a different restaurant & had nothing but good experiences and quick turnarounds. Now, when I call, everything is funneled down to the individual restaurant and I am getting nowhere!

Yes. Ordering for the Moderates and Values can be tricky because they don't have a Private Dining Department to go through. I would try calling the resort front desk and explaining the problem. Hopefully someone will take ownership of your issue and research a direct number for the correct person to talk to.

Yes. Ordering for the Moderates and Values can be tricky because they don't have a Private Dining Department to go through. I would try calling the resort front desk and explaining the problem. Hopefully someone will take ownership of your issue and research a direct number for the correct person to talk to.
Thanks!

I guess the baker who took my request and charged $95 was Pat at Grand Floridian bakery, I called the number back yesterday to cancel the order...if I’m spending a $100+ on the cake, I’d like to see what I’m getting other than blue buttercream with waves at the bottom with printed characters and a surfboard. And it be only 6”...so, I left a message for Pat cancelling and to please text me back confirmation of cancellation. No response. How can I be certain it is cancelled? We are opting for custom cookies from someone we’ve ordered before, she is phenomenal and half the cost of the cake...if the bakeries are charging high prices, they could at least provide pictures. For a $35 cake, I won’t be disappointed if the decoration is marginal...

I guess the baker who took my request and charged $95 was Pat at Grand Floridian bakery, I called the number back yesterday to cancel the order...if I’m spending a $100+ on the cake, I’d like to see what I’m getting other than blue buttercream with waves at the bottom with printed characters and a surfboard. And it be only 6”...so, I left a message for Pat cancelling and to please text me back confirmation of cancellation. No response. How can I be certain it is cancelled? We are opting for custom cookies from someone we’ve ordered before, she is phenomenal and half the cost of the cake...if the bakeries are charging high prices, they could at least provide pictures. For a $35 cake, I won’t be disappointed if the decoration is marginal...

So Pat is the Private Dining contact at the Grand Floridian, not a baker. They do not let you speak directly to the pastry chefs, unfortunately. And she doesn’t have a company phone that she can text from. I’d keep calling till you hear from her if you’re worried about being charged.

And I agree that $100 is a lot to spend when you have no idea what you’re getting, especially since people’s experiences with Disney cakes vary so widely!

Called wilderness lodge and was hoping for a cake delivered to our room upon arrival. What I want was annual pass decor and something to the effect of wrapping up our year of Disney. I got some pushback but the phone conttact said she would check with Pastry chef and call me back. The contact seemed concerned about copyright which I found odd.

Had a nice cake delivered to trails end for thanksgiving and was hoping for a fun small cake in the room for my son. Are there copyright issues with these cakes?

I'm going to be at WDW over Mother's Day weekend and I'm debating ordering a cake to take home. I know it sounds crazy, but last trip we ordered 2 cakes and I managed to take most of the larger cake home just by splitting it up into a couple tupperware containers. This trip I don't want anything delivered to a restaurant because my son who is traveling with me can't eat cake. But I still want my cake fix, lol. We are staying at Pop so I figure the easiest thing to do would be to deliver it to our hotel on departure day. That would mean it has to come from the Boardwalk bakery. Are they still requiring an 8 inch minimum for a custom cake? Not looking for anything fancy or fondant.

Called wilderness lodge and was hoping for a cake delivered to our room upon arrival. What I want was annual pass decor and something to the effect of wrapping up our year of Disney. I got some pushback but the phone conttact said she would check with Pastry chef and call me back. The contact seemed concerned about copyright which I found odd.

Had a nice cake delivered to trails end for thanksgiving and was hoping for a fun small cake in the room for my son. Are there copyright issues with these cakes?

No, this is just a stock reply that they think they have to repeat for some reason. Wilderness Lodge is especially silly because they have this elaborate back-and-forth you have to do before they acknowledge that what you want is too complex for their team and "allow" you to work with the Contemporary to have something delivered to you at Wilderness Lodge.

I'm going to be at WDW over Mother's Day weekend and I'm debating ordering a cake to take home. I know it sounds crazy, but last trip we ordered 2 cakes and I managed to take most of the larger cake home just by splitting it up into a couple tupperware containers. This trip I don't want anything delivered to a restaurant because my son who is traveling with me can't eat cake. But I still want my cake fix, lol. We are staying at Pop so I figure the easiest thing to do would be to deliver it to our hotel on departure day. That would mean it has to come from the Boardwalk bakery. Are they still requiring an 8 inch minimum for a custom cake? Not looking for anything fancy or fondant.

The 8-inch minimum is just for fancy cakes with elaborate fondant decor. You should have no trouble getting a 6-inch buttercream cake.

No, this is just a stock reply that they think they have to repeat for some reason. Wilderness Lodge is especially silly because they have this elaborate back-and-forth you have to do before they acknowledge that what you want is too complex for their team and "allow" you to work with the Contemporary to have something delivered to you at Wilderness Lodge.

I did receive a call back and they did mention that the contemporary would be the one to do the cake. They said they could do make some sort of ticket and put it on the cake. I have to be honest it is a little frustrating that you can't correspond with the actual person making the cake. You tell them what you want and cross your fingers that you won't be disappointed.

who did you speak with at Wilderness Lodge? I originally called there and talked to Carol, when I started explaining to her what I wanted and the flavors of the cake and filling she got really confused and told me I needed to email the contemporary for assistance. I emailed them and a few days later George emailed me, we went back and forth and he said he was able to make what i was looking for. 6 inch chewbacca themed chocolate cake with cookies and cream filling delivered to our room for $89

How to Order a Cake at Disneyland Paris

...It's not impossible, but sometimes it feels like it is!

On our recent trip to Disneyland Paris, I decided to order two kinds of cakes so I could report on the experience in the Cake Chatter Thread: 1) The standard birthday cake you can get at most restaurants and hotels and 2) A fancy custom anniversary cake.

Standard Celebration Birthday Cake
The only kind of standard cake Disneyland Paris offers is a birthday cake; they don't have alternative chocolate messages like "Happy Anniversary" or "Happy Graduation." However, the French phrase for "Happy Birthday" is "Joyeux Anniversaire" so at least it looked to this English speaker like a wedding anniversary message!

You can have it delivered to a dining reservation for €29 and it must be ordered 2 days in advance. If you order it for your hotel room it costs slightly less—I'm not sure how much, though, because ours was bungled and we didn't have to pay for it.

Your two choices are a vanilla and strawberry ice cream cake with a white chocolate screen print of some characters or a Mickey dome cake that looks and tastes pretty much like the cakes you get at Amorette's Patisserie in Disney Springs and the new celebration cakes at Walt Disney World, with one big exception: They only come in one flavor, and that's chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and a layer of orange jam. :crazy2:

Now here's the other catch: If you have booked your stay at an on-site Disney hotel through a travel agent, Disneyland Paris will not talk to you about your reservation AT ALL, including to add a celebration cake. So all my requests had to go through a middle man, and none of them were met. I requested the vanilla cake because the travel agent incorrectly described it to me as not containing fruit (and didn't even mention that it was ice cream!). What I got was the chocolate cake, and that was only after I set a hotel concierge on the case because the cake never showed up in our room.

I dunno how helpful my photos are going to be, though, because there is speculation on TripAdvisor that Disneyland Paris may have changed the shape right after our trip. Supposedly now it's the same colors but in a cube shape instead of a dome.

IMG_3911_zpsjw7dhicy.jpg

IMG_3914_zpszz5m5j4j.jpg

IMG_3916_zpszwyzqqzd.jpg

IMG_3925_zpsiiiqqvzh.jpg

IMG_3926_zpscmpi20p5.jpg

I kinda picked around the orange jam and it tasted pretty much identical to an Amorette's cake to me. So.... not my favorite! But if you like those and you like orange jam/marmalade, you'll like this cake.

Fancy Custom Anniversary Cake
This was another frustrating experience, but the results were better. After several weeks of being shuttled from department to department via email and phone, I learned that custom cake orders must be placed via the Disneyland Paris Special Activities department (DLP.DISNEY.SPECIAL.ACTIVITIES@disney.com) and that a reply can take up to two weeks (yet they don't want you to email them more than 3 months out).

They did send me my choices and some photos over email. But to pay for the order, I had to call again, which was another ordeal of dropped calls, botched transfers and promised returned calls that never materialized before I finally was able to do it. If your phone provider has a low-cost international calling package, add that first!

The Bad News: Fancy cakes may only be ordered from the Special Activities department, and they have a minimum order of €300! So even if all you are getting is a cake with no actual "activities," it's €300. Their first offer was €625 for ...

• a personalized cake with “Happy 10th Anniversary“ and names
  • a bottle of Lanson Champagne, Disneyland Paris
  • 2 Champagne glasses engraved with your initials
  • a decoration made with hearth shaped rose petals on the bed
  • a romantic balloon decoration around the bed
  • a personal message in one of our cards

Which looks like this:

image010_zpsovna1ckz.jpg

That was totally not happening... :rotfl:

So what do you get for your €300? You get to choose from a list of pre-designed 8-inch cakes. There is no way to customize a design. But at least they'll let you write something besides "Happy Birthday" as the message on the plate!

These are the choices:

image006_zpsin4trzwv.jpg

image009_zpsrdlfzo61.png

image007_zps10dqpg5a.png

image008_zpsqp4ibpjm.png

The only flavor options are
Vanilla Praline was the most interesting-sounding to me, but I worried the Praline would be almond and have marzipan in it. Since I thought I was getting a vanilla celebration cake, I asked for chocolate for this fancy cake and picked the Snow White style.

Here's how it turned out...

I about died laughing when I saw that our 10th wedding anniversary inscription—which was supposed to say "You are my happily ever after"—was just a "Happy Anniversary" dedicated only to me. I guess they know who all these cakes are REALLY for! :rotfl2:

IMG_2152_zpsvsyrdd1b.jpg

IMG_2153_zpsl0gawhba.jpg

IMG_2154_zpsoaikarjd.jpg

IMG_2155_zps5ncmxbmp.jpg

IMG_2170_zps1ehcgeos.jpg

I was very excited to get a cake with dragees, which have been outlawed in California and I haven't seen in ages!

IMG_2172_zpskim9nwkb.jpg

IMG_0453_zpscqwmtlql.jpg

Although the frosting wasn't my beloved Walt Disney World old-school sugar-bomb buttercream, it wasn't that foofy, flavorless Amorette's mousse either. It was somewhere in between. The cake was moist and not as bland as Walt Disney World chocolate cake can be. And the fondant was the magical Disney kind that's soft and sugary, not hard and flavorless! (Yes, I eventually did take a big ol' bite outta that giant fondant apple, and it was pretty tasty!)

So I was definitely happier with the appearance and taste of the fancy cake vs. the standard birthday cake, but YOWZA is that a lot of cash for something you can't even customize. I don't think I'd have done it if I didn't have you guys on the Cake Chatter Thread as my excuse! :teeth:

Last edited:
who did you speak with at Wilderness Lodge? I originally called there and talked to Carol, when I started explaining to her what I wanted and the flavors of the cake and filling she got really confused and told me I needed to email the contemporary for assistance. I emailed them and a few days later George emailed me, we went back and forth and he said he was able to make what i was looking for. 6 inch chewbacca themed chocolate cake with cookies and cream filling delivered to our room for $89
Could you share what you want your Chewbacca cake to look like? I ask because I’m planning to order Chewbacca themed cake In November at contemporary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter