"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

Based on the reports, nothing seems any different from previous years. It sounds like the ride overlays are a bust. I'm disappointed by Disney not bringing out the great villain characters. I really don't feel this is worth it for my family of four.
ONE thing- I feel they are getting their act together as far as being prepared for rain. It sounds like many trick or treat stations and characters are inside this year. I think Disney was losing a lot of money when guests complained about nothing going on during these frequent long rain storms. This should have happened years ago.

I’ve never shopped for party merchandise before. Is it a madhouse?
I was planning to go to Emporium right at 4.
Is Hocus Pocus spirit jersey in that main line?

Keep in mind it was the first party. We went in the middle of september last year and had no issues walking right in and buying stuff.

Last night’s party was great! It was crowded, but manageable (depending on what your plans/expectations are). We did a lot, but I’ll just highlight some specifics.

There was a lot of formal cast member presence. I wondered if they were filming promos for advertising because I noticed quite a few cameras.

I found some of the trick or treat lines to be very generous pretty early on in the party.

I didn’t feel the merchandise was managed well. You had to get on line to see the merchandise (expected), they passed two papers down the line with the merchandise and prices so you can get an idea of what you want (unexpected), but after waiting in the line not all of the items were back there (unexpected) - they were in a different area of the store (for example, we wanted to see the Alex and Ani bracelets - if that was all you wanted you didn’t need to stand on that line at all). I never saw the Sanderson sisters passholder bag at all in the store, idk if I missed it or if it was in another different part of the store. I didn’t know about it before hand, so I was a little disappointed when I saw someone with one in the park, but I wasn’t willing to go look for it again as I had already bought the reusable bag.

Despite it being sold out we found a front row spot on Main St for the first parade. Cast members were announcing there were more front row spots in the front of the park as it got closer and closer to the parade, so I guess it wasn’t too difficult to find a good spot if you were willing to walk to the front of the park.

We went on Pirates and Space Mountain for the special overlays. I thought both were disappointing. For Pirates, there were 3 pirates, one on the line behind bars talking to/yelling at people, one by the loading area talking to people on both sides, and one during the actual ride. I expected more, especially because the second pirate made it seem like there was some sort of extra story line to follow. We went on Space as the second parade was going towards the hub. 15 min posted wait. It had new music, and was completely in the dark. I’m not a huge Space fan, but I didn’t enjoy it. Not being able to see anything made the ride much more jarring. When we left, the line was muchhhhh longer. Probably everyone that left the parade. We went in the trick or treat lines in that area afterwards, and then headed to the hub for the last Hocus Pocus show.

The midnight Hocus Pocus show was far less crowded than I expected, especially because we only got there about 5-10 min before 12. We were able to stand on the right side, in the street in front of the castle without being in front of anyone who had waited there longer than us! (I was fully prepared to stand far away because we got there last minute.)

Overall we had a great time! I wouldn’t be opposed to attending the first party again, but I wouldn’t choose it if I had multiple options. The only reason why is the unknowns. If we knew ahead of time we wouldn’t have done the overlays, and would’ve done more of the characters if we knew who they were and where they were.

It sounds like SM had issues with the overlay and it was flat out not working. I wonder if someone can confirm, because if its just a soundtrack, i'll go during the day before the party and spend that time getting candy

ONE thing- I feel they are getting their act together as far as being prepared for rain. It sounds like many trick or treat stations and characters are inside this year. I think Disney was losing a lot of money when guests complained about nothing going on during these frequent long rain storms. This should have happened years ago.

Totally agree! Even just to have an indoor contingency plan for character meet and greets would be awesome!

Looking at the videos of the ride "upgrades" it seems the Mad Tea Party is the best IMO.

I agree with everyone else about Pirates. We had some fun with the pirate in the ride, but I wouldn’t wait in line.

My kids went on space and loved it; I’m glad I opted out as I would have very much disliked not being able to see anything- and we also enjoyed the people mover and the SM music was LOUD.

Tea cups was fun to watch. In all, fine, but I’d rather enjoy the short lines between 6:15 and 7:15 at whatever are your favs (some lines were always higher, e.g., 7D) if we want to do attractions.

We really want to see the Headless Horseman - where in Frontierland is the best place to see the parade when it first starts? And how much before parade time?
Many thanks to everyone who shared their experiences from last night. It has been a heck of a year for DH and I, and looking forward to this trip and the party has really helped me through some bad days - it might sound silly, but it really did help. SO happy to be going on vacation, especially to WDW and MNSSHP!
This thread has been so helpful - a huge virtual hug to all of you!

For those with parade view I think most of the area is reserved so it did not fill up at all.
We could have laid down. If you want the coming down Main Street area not sure. We showed up right before headless horseman.

I’m not sure if the party merchandise is available at 4 or if like things like popcorn buckets, they don’t start selling until 7:00?

Can anyone tell us what time party exclusive merchandise went on sale last night?
In prior years we’ve purchased merchandise prior to 7 - there is usually a seperate line and they check your wristband when entering said line.

Can anyone tell me where the line for the grave diggers starts?
The reports last night were they were near Haunted Mansion along the fence but looks to me like HM is just in background

Dk1zQiBUYAAsP3D.jpg

I’m not sure if the party merchandise is available at 4 or if like things like popcorn buckets, they don’t start selling until 7:00?

Can anyone tell us what time party exclusive merchandise went on sale last night?

We entered before 4pm (early entry/Dvc) and they sold to us before 4pm at Emporium. The cast member said if you have a wristband you can buy.

This was our first MNSSHP. I am not a parade person, and I have to say that this parade was amazingly well done. The gravediggers stole the show; their routine was awesome! As first timers at this event, we were a little disoriented, and we thought the crowd level was very high.
Some of the candy lines were very long, and we had to skip some of them. The biggest disappointment of the event; the super long lines for the characters. Sadly, we did not have the ability to stand for over an hour for photos so we had to bypass every character. The 7 Dwarfs were hidden away in a tent, so we couldn't even see them. I feel strongly that due to the crowd levels, FP+ was needed especially for the characters. DGS has a DAS and cannot wait very long in lines so this became a problem last night.
We spent a good deal of time waiting in lines last night, even to buy the Halloween merchandise. Way too much waiting for a ticketed event. I don't know; maybe they oversold. We loved the parade and Hallowishes, but not overly impressed with much else.

Last edited:
So where are the Oogie Boogie buckets sold? Just all throughout MK at stands?

ETA: never mind. Just saw the post below me :)

Last edited:
Good to know! I thought I read only Liberty Sq had the Oogie Boogie but sounds like they were all over the park? We plan to start party in that Jungle Cruise area so maybe we’ll try that one. Hopefully they really are holding back some for each party because we don’t go till Oct 11th!

I can confirm they were all over the park! I bought mine at the popcorn stand in front of jungle cruise, but they made me wait until exactly 7pm.

Anybody with info on the trick or treat stations? Two from recent years were replaced this year - Tiki Room with Moana and the new Disney Jr. Dance Party in the Silly Sideshow area. Wondering how Ariel's Grotto, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and Country Bears were as far as trick or treat? The Tiki Room and the Silly Sideshow area were lines with more than one candy barrel so it made the line better - just wondering how these new locations were laid out - and anybody with candy reports? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter