• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Just out of interest, where has everyone booked to eat the night before their races?

We arrive at WDW on 18th- eating at Ravellos then going to pick up packets. For dinner we are eating at Ohana at 5 pm. Maybe watch wishes on beach or just early bed time.

Day before 10K we have pasta in the park :) Hoping we didn't waste our money on that...

Got 17k done this morning. Started the morning with spin class @6:30 the music was good worked hard really didn't want to work that hard! Came home for breakfast, threw my clothes in the dryer to warm them up very frosty and cold. Pulled my gloves out of the dryer just before heading out the door,this was really nice! Decided to do my long run today because Wednesday morning I'm going to have my heel injected hope it helps. My run was really slow but I got it done. I have fluid sack on my heel every step hurts I think it's bursitis . Best with no shoes! I have been wrapping my heal with cushion pads helps a little. Hope the Dr can get this fixed. Trying to get this week's runs done before my appointment don't know what shape the foot will be in. Doing Hal Higdon train modifying it a little because I want 2 weeks taper. Hope this is enough for GSC.
Sounds like everyone is talking about restaurants, I have never been to DW. Should I be looking at making reservations or will we be able to walk in ?

Looks from your signature like you're a DL vet! I'm originally from California, so DL was my first "home park" and we're back in California at least once per year - sometimes twice. So I can help with comparisons between DL and WDW. I'm SO glad you're asking about restaurants. DL and WDW are entirely different from that perspective. For WDW, many of us make reservations (ADRs) 180 days in advance because many of the popular restaurants book up so quickly. It's possible to get reservations closer to your trip (or even the day of) but the options become far more limited. I remember calling DL for reservations when they took them 60 days in advance, and every time the CM on the phone would literally laugh at me or ask me to repeat the date because it was odd to book dining so far ahead! But at WDW, we always have reservations for TS restaurants. We haven't just walked into a TS restaurant at WDW in many, many years. If we don't want to plan that far in advance, we'll go online and make last-minute reservations through the Disney website rather than just walking up. That way, we can see what's available and it's more comfortable upon arrival at the restaurant with the WDW culture of dining reservations.

Who else is using Kids Nite Out as a sitter? I asked them to arrive at 4 am for the 5K. The woman said that many others had booked that time. Does this seem ok? Also, what time does the race officially end? I know it starts at 6, and I figure the 4 of use may take up to 90 minutes (not really, but with trying to navigate around people, better to over estimate.) Anyway, point in this, what time do you guys think we would get back to our resort? Once we are done racing, how long do we have to stick around for? Also, we will have our car, should we drive to race, or will monorail be running? Thanks for any advice!

Is any one else staying at Art of Animation for this race? I'm going solo for the GSC and just booked a Little Mermaid room (fitting). I'm running with a charity but they haven't released the information about our hotel yet and I figured I should have a back-up. If this turns out to be where I stay, am I shooting myself in the foot by doing so?

Is any one else staying at Art of Animation for this race? I'm going solo for the GSC and just booked a Little Mermaid room (fitting). I'm running with a charity but they haven't released the information about our hotel yet and I figured I should have a back-up. If this turns out to be where I stay, am I shooting myself in the foot by doing so?
what do you mean? I am staying at AoA as well

Nothing wrong with staying at AoA, I've actually never said there and wanted to for a while. I wasn't sure if it was going to be ridiculously more crowded though.

We stayed there in 2014 during PHM weekend, though I was not running, and it was crowded but not anymore than I would say any other time. It is the newest resort ( I think) and stays pretty busy from what my research has shown

We were also at AoA for 2014. The buses to the Expo and to the race were excellent.

If you do stay there, ask for the LM building that is closest to transportation/Lobby (Triton).

We were also at AoA for 2014. The buses to the Expo and to the race were excellent.

If you do stay there, ask for the LM building that is closest to transportation/Lobby (Triton).
That is what I requested on check in last week! We were the room at the furthest end of the LM building so literally it was our room and then the bush line!!

Okay, just one more Mickey/Marathon post. The guy whom Mickey helped across the Finish posted a YouTube! His girlfriend, who had been supporting his weight, can be heard on the video:

I hope you all don't think I'm neurotic about Mickey. CM friend is actually my DD :oops: and chooses to remain incognito for most of my posts but she's pretty much a part of this thread as she'll be running, too!

My friends and I are staying at AoA and I'm super excited. Planning on surprising them with a poster board decoration for our window!

It's definitely a good idea! I always pack 2 pair of running shoes in my carryon, plus 2 outfits for each day.

I have no clue why this never occured to me. Maybe because I wear flip flops everywhere outside of running if I can. Either way, I ordered a new pair today and should have them by the end of the week to break in my backups. I plan to buy Ariel shoes too, but they're not going to be good for me to run in. I just cant' pass them up because...well, redheads! ;)

Just out of interest, where has everyone booked to eat the night before their races?

Wed - A quick service at Disney Springs probably

Thurs - Liberty Tree

Fri - O'hana

Sat - Trattoria al Forno

Sun - La Hacienda de San Angel

Kinda scary seeing so many people (elite runners even) talking about how hard the full was today in 70 degrees and 100% humidity.
I had not thought to plan for rain...hmm need to buy some ponchos.

I don't know what's worse, rain or humidity. I ran in the rain on Saturday and I think I might prefer that...but I guess it depends on how torrential of a downpour it is.

3 Run Disney races = zero calories - right?
Yes, yes, yes!

Is anyone else traveling solo and doing the 5K? I had planned a trip to run the 5K with my Mom and Dad joining me for the Princess Breakfast afterwards, but my mom had an accident right before Christmas and she and Dad won't be joining me after all for this trip. She will be joining me later in the year, but next month I will be traveling alone to run the 5k. This is my first RunDisney race.

I am! I do every race solo and I always have a blast!

Okay, just one more Mickey/Marathon post. The guy whom Mickey helped across the Finish posted a YouTube! His girlfriend, who had been supporting his weight, can be heard on the video:

I hope you all don't think I'm neurotic about Mickey. CM friend is actually my DD :oops: and chooses to remain incognito for most of my posts but she's pretty much a part of this thread as she'll be running, too!
I couldn't help but cry when I read the first post about this. Now seeing it, well,
Let's just be honest....now I am just blubbering!! I absolutely love this! I don't know that I will be able to keep it together. I have been visualizing my kids and hubby at the finish line since I started running two years ago.

So I know there has been a lot of talk about the race retreat. My husband, trying to show his support for my hobby like I do his (hunting and fishing......all the time!) mentioned today he is going to buy me a band into the race retreat. Going in as a solo runner, what are the pros and cons? What, realistically, do I need to do to make the price worth it? Thanks guys!!!

Whew! Just got back from a very brisk 4.5 miler. I had to start getting up earlier to allow me enough time to get more miles in before I have to go to work. The temps are supposed to drop overnight, so it's looking like the rest of my mid-week runs will be on the TM (boo...). Oh well, no biggie, just disappointed because I much prefer running outside, even when it's dark (I have a really bright headlamp).

My LM running skirt that I purchased from Etsy came in yesterday, yay! I'm hoping the weather on race day is warm enough that I won't have to wear capris with it, since I bought the ones with built in running shorts.

I had such a great time at the disney world half that I just had to see if I could make to to the Princess Half. I found an agency with a GSC bib and couldn't pass it up! PHM weekend here I come!

I did the same thing last year for PDC!! It's addicting! But I figure running half marathons has few down sides to the addiction.... besides the wallet!

I did the same thing last year for PDC!! It's addicting! But I figure running half marathons has few down sides to the addiction.... besides the wallet!
Yeah it does hurt the wallet a bit but I am starting my medical residency training this summer so I wanted to get as many fun experiences in as I can! I already have an annual pass so I am making the most of it.

So I know there has been a lot of talk about the race retreat. My husband, trying to show his support for my hobby like I do his (hunting and fishing......all the time!) mentioned today he is going to buy me a band into the race retreat. Going in as a solo runner, what are the pros and cons? What, realistically, do I need to do to make the price worth it? Thanks guys!!!

I have done the Princess solo a couple of times. In all the Princess Halfs, and I have done them all, I have never purchased the Race Retreat. I can't justify the cost. That's just my opinion..others that have purchased may feel differently. It is pretty easy to chat up people walking to the corral or in the corral, and after the run I just want to get back to my room and shower.

Just ran 7 in 1:27. I felt like I could have gone longer but my Garmin alerted me to a low battery and I was terrified of losing my data. Does anyone have the Forerunner 620 and know if it just erases all data if it dies, or will it still store the data up to the point that it died?
I have the 620 and I cannot tell you if the battery dies you will lose your info. BUT I ran the full on Sunday and I got a low battery warning on mile 22. I freaked out thinking the same thing- "What if I lose my data?" I hit stop and saved my run data and immediately started a new run. Then turned off the extras I thought might be sucking the battery, like the 2 additional data screens, wifi upload, Bluetooth, etc. That way if I lost it, I would only lose the last 4 or so miles. Well, the watch made it to the end of the race just fine even though the LOW BATTERY stayed on the screen the last mile and a half. So now I have 2 separate runs that I desperately want to combine but cannot figure out how. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter