Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Ok. So finished my first full back to back run today. I did 3.1 yesterday and 11 this morning. I think I have finally gotten past the internal battle to quit or not even start to begin with. Today my time was under what I was aiming for so YEA!! But I could have been better. Will work harder next time. I think that having drank almost two bottle of wine yesterday when some friends came over to discuss the Disney trip probably didn't help. These are our friends that essential self invited and will be joining us for a majority of the trip now. Not terrible but definitely would have liked to know sooner so we could plan better.

I was thinking I might pick up another pair of shoes too. Right now I need to track down some newspaper to put in mine after a wet run yesterday if they're still wet. A backup may be a good idea.

It's definitely a good idea! I always pack 2 pair of running shoes in my carryon, plus 2 outfits for each day.

Just out of interest, where has everyone booked to eat the night before their races?
As of right now we are set up at 50s prime time cafe. I am waiting a little longer to confirm. I am trying to not kill myself the night before but my rugrats really want to see the star wars fire works so I am gonna try to get back to the room at a good time.

Just out of interest, where has everyone booked to eat the night before their races?

We are eating at Wolfgang Puck on Thursday night before the 5K. I have a Cinderella's Royal Table lunch scheduled for Friday and Les Chefs de France lunch scheduled for Saturday. I wanted to do bigger lunch meals and then eat light for dinners. I find that works better for my stomach on run days, especially such early morning run days.

So far, we are booked for Hollywood Brown Derby before the 10k and Narcoossees before the half, we will see if that sticks ;).

I'm popping back to check up on everyone's progress and give out a bunch of virtual high fives to all of you! It's been a wonderful hour catching up in all of your stories and all of the determination I'm seeing is so heartening. You're all awesome!!!

As for me, I'm having a sucky time training this time around. I do a ten mile run once a week all year just to keep up training and for fun, but of course that all went haywire in December. Between Disney trip, Christmas, kiddo home from school, and the sidewalks being literally frozen into one long skating path, I just can't cobble together more than 10k at a time. I'm so worried that my training is all gone to pot now and that I'm going to have a horrible time at the race.

With regards to running skirts- I have a few from Lululemon that have the compression shorts underneath and super cute ruffles in the back, plus pockets. I swear by them, in case anyone is still looking- they are the Pacesetter skirts :).

Anyone know how late I can push it to the starting line for the half if I am in corral F? I am a serial late starter/arriver so this is crucial intel, lol.

Did my 11 today! Not pretty, but done. Thankfully. And to whoever asked about dinner the night before, we're at Il Mulino. Any excuse for pasta I say!!

For those doing race retreat, is it really worth the $$? I kinda want to do it since it's my first Disney race, but already feeling an ouch from all the $ already spent!

Kinda scary seeing so many people (elite runners even) talking about how hard the full was today in 70 degrees and 100% humidity.
I had not thought to plan for rain...hmm need to buy some ponchos.

Just ran 7 in 1:27. I felt like I could have gone longer but my Garmin alerted me to a low battery and I was terrified of losing my data. Does anyone have the Forerunner 620 and know if it just erases all data if it dies, or will it still store the data up to the point that it died?

Dinner the night(s) before: Spirit of Aloha Luau before the 10K and Garden Grill before the PHM. My half marathon PR followed a terrible dinner that we grabbed on the fly before taking our kids to a movie, so I have no formula. At Disney, it all comes down to scheduling, the kids, my parents coming into town for a night, etc. And my time doesn't really matter anymore, since I'm running all the upcoming Disney races with my kids! So my goal is to get my kids through the races and have a lot of fun.

But in the past, we did Flying Fish before the 2014 PHM (sushi was not a great pre-race meal) and the Wave before the marathon (that was actually ideal - good mix of carbs and protein and not too heavy.) Can't remember pre-5K stuff, or the pre-DL 10K stuff.

Running skirts: For regular skirts, Lole brand skorts. Amazing, especially the langelinie - I have four of them. For fun, the etsy seller iglow running. She makes amazing custom fit run skirts (with or without attached compression shorts) and they are my favorite ever. I ran the full marathon in one of her skirts last year and the skirt incredible.

Did my 11 today! Not pretty, but done. Thankfully. And to whoever asked about dinner the night before, we're at Il Mulino. Any excuse for pasta I say!!

For those doing race retreat, is it really worth the $$? I kinda want to do it since it's my first Disney race, but already feeling an ouch from all the $ already spent!

First, I love Il Mulino - great choice!! I did the race retreat for the PHM in 2014 and the marathon in 2015. Both times, it was worth it for me because I was doing those races for the first time, and I was on my own (family came to Disney and ran other races with me, but I was on my own for the actual PHM and full marathon.) So I wanted to get to the race start area super early and I didn't want to worry about anything. So the race retreat was great. I was one of the runners in the kids' area on the beanbags watching Disney movies on TV and eating a race retreat bagel and banana. I love that area, especially for those of us on our own. Can be there early, in a temperature controlled tent with relatively easy access to bathrooms and gear check, and then just zone out and relax before heading out to the corrals.

There were a few changes last year that I didn't love - they moved the tent further away from the finish so it was kind of out of the way AND (for reasons I could understand) did not let a single runner out of the tent post-race with the smallest piece of food. I had a single ham sandwich and had to finish it before leaving the tent. Another guy had a muffin and had to do the same. I'm sure this is due to all the runners who previously left the tent with heaping plates of food and six forks sticking out of them.

I won't do the race retreat this year because I'm running with my kids and those costs add up. Also, there is no way my teen boys are getting out of bed early enough to make the retreat worth it (although they would certainly eat a lot more there than I did.) I have to adjust to the fact that instead of boarding the 3am transportation, we'll probably be running for the 4am transportation. But for a solo runner, a first-time Disney runner, someone who wants to get there super early, or for those running with others and paying for only their own race retreat admission, I think it's a fun add-on.

I salute your long TM run @srauseo! That's awesome!
Good luck getting back into the swing of training @Ariel484 -- I hate getting sick around the holidays! I took the weekend off myself because of my knee, and I just hope this week of running goes well with no knee problems!

I do a ten mile run once a week all year just to keep up training and for fun.
With regards to running skirts- I have a few from Lululemon that have the compression shorts underneath and super cute ruffles in the back, plus pockets. I swear by them, in case anyone is still looking- they are the Pacesetter skirts :).

And wow! 10 mile run once a week for fun?? I am so impressed! If I don't have a half I am actively training for, I don't go beyond 5. Thanks for the inspiration :) And I'm excited to check out those skirts-- thanks for the tip!

So if medals being released wasn't motivating enough, I received my medal hanger in the mail today. I opened it and started crying. With being in remission from cancer, I didn't know if I would make it to see this years' GSC. Now we are just 49 days away!!!
You are now part of my inspiration, my dad having lost his battle is another part. I run with one of his dog tags around my neck, and my son when we run in an event together wears the other of his granddad's. For this race, I will think of you too every time I want to give up. Thank you for the kick in the pants to keep going!

Wed- BOG dinner
Thur- Tea at Floridian & (Skippers Canteen- hopefully)
Fri- Kona Cafe Breakfast after 5K, Cali Grill for dinner
Sat- Boathouse lunch, AOA for lite pasta dinner
Sun- Morimoto Asia

And a drink Trader Sam's in there someplace
So many good places to eat!
3 Run Disney races = zero calories - right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter