October Trip to DL

CaptHook

Earning My Ears
I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Disneyland for late October. I have several questions.

1) How many days should I plan on to see DL and DCA? It will be just me (32) and a friend (same age).

2) Which hotel would you recommend? I am kind of leaning towards Disneyland hotel since it is connected with the monorail.

3) Could I get by without a car? I mean are there lots of places to eat in the parks/Downtown Disney and the hotels?

4) Finally, If I decided to do Universal and/or Knott's one day, are they easy to get to? Or is there enough to keep me occupied in the parks for 4 days?

Thanks!:D

I'd say one day at DCA and two at Disneyland would work great. Knott's Berry Farm is a short bus-ride away. If you want to go to Universal, you'd have to book a package at the hotel for transportation & admission. Not sure if there is any other way to do Universal (it's a good distance north of Anaheim. I would definitley recommend staying on-property (Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier or Grand Californian.) They are all close to the parks and Downtown Disney. If you are only doing Disney, with one day elsewhere, you can get by without a car, easy. (We drive down from Northern California, park the car with valet and don't use it again until it's time to go home!) There are so many great places to eat at Downtown Disney, both casual and high-end. Also, DCA has great eateries inside the park (DLand has mostly fast-food - but, try Blue Bayou for lunch if you can fit it in!)

1)
It depends on when you go weekdays or weekends. DL Resort is different then WDW, because during the week days they run a limited entertainment schedule and close earlier in October. Also weekends at DL Park always tend to be crowded. If I was going in October I would plan 4 days... WTFS or SSMT. This way you can enjoy each park when it is less crowded and get on most of the attractions and then use the weekend days to see the enterainment (Fantasmic, Fireworks, Electric Light Parade, Amazement, etc).

2)
From you signature it looks like you a frequent visitor to WDW, so one thing to remember with DL is that everything in the DL Resort is very close together. You can stay at any of the 3 DL Resort Hotels and be with in a short Walk to the entrances of both parks and DD. The monorail is actually in DD, closest to Disneyland hotel, but not that far from Paradise Pier Hotel. I think walking from PP to the entrance of DL Park may be the same distance as walking from the Contempary to MK in WDW, if even that far. Both PP and DGC have their own entrances into DCA.

3) Lots of places to eat in DD and DCA. Bring lots of Disney Dollars. We never have a car when visiting
DL. We take the supershuttle or airportbus to the hotel.

4)If you decide to visit an outside theme park, I suggest that you visit the other park first. I always feel let down if I visit after spending time at Disney. IMHO, not enough theming or special attention is given to guests at other theme parks as compared to Disney. I believe that airportbus has busses that go to Universal and Knott's.

Have a good time

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#006400>Any of the three Disneyland Resort Hotels would be fine...
Paradise Pier is the farthest away, but is still within walking distance, plus it has its own entrance to DCA.

Disneyland Hotel is very nice, with a great pool, beautiful grounds, and some really good restaurants. Before the Disneyland Resort had a makeover, the monorail stopped at the hotel - really, the monorail stopped at some shops that were part of the hotel. Since then, those shops were demo'd, and Downtown Disney sprung up, so the monorail now stops in Downtown Disney, not the Disneyland Hotel. However, the walking distance is the same from the hotel to the monorail.

For two adults, I think the Grand Californian is a better idea. Our evenings are cool in late October, and the Grand Californian has a beautiful lobby area with a very big fireplace. There is also another fireplace in a smaller lobbyet type of room, and another fireplace outside, with some chairs around. There is a piano set up, and a castmember plays while people lounge. IMO, this is a nicer way for two adults to end their days @ Disney. Also, Downtown Disney is right outside the doors, and there is an entrance right to DCA. Disneyland is just a very short walk away.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever hotel you choose.

I'd recommend at least two days at Disneyland, including a weekend day (to see Fantasmic, and the fireworks, if they're going at that time). You could probably do DCA in one day, but might want to hop between the parks for the restaurants at DCA - Avalon Cove & Mondavi Winery are great.

If you do want to do something offsite, the closest is Knotts Berry Farm, which started as a restaurant. Boysenberry was invented at Knotts. They do have a famous chicken restaurant there, and you don't have to go into the park to eat there. Although some people are disappointed by this park, my family has always enjoyed it.

Universal Studios is a good hour+ drive away, and as already stated, you'd have to go on a package tour there, or rent a car.

Whatever you decided to do, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

So I just booked four nights at the end of October for the Disneyland Hotel. I think I'm gonna skip Knott's and Universal this trip, and concentrate on Disney!

I can't wait!

Any must sees? Any restaurants I shouldn't miss?

Also, can I take Disneyland a little easier than WDW, I mean WDW has soooo much to do and I feel I have to cram as much as possible into a trip there. With four days in the parks will I be able to do Disneyland and DCA completely?:)

I think 4 days will be just fine. I'm a Disneyland Veteran and had my first trip to WDW last month. I was totally overwhelmed 4 days there and I still feel like I missed a lot. It is definately a lot more relaxed at Disneyland.

The one place not to miss is the Blue Bayou Rest. It is in the Pirates ride, you can watch the people getting on and of the ride. The atmosphere is great as is the food. According to my sister the clam chowder is the absolute best, I'll belive her on that one since I don't eat fish.

Also the ride is different than the one at MK so make sure and ride it. I like this one much better.:)

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest