Obviously over 40; do I need ID for alcohol?

On Disney website it says you can take a copy of passport (on phone or paper). Is this actually true? We are from the UK and although we will obviously have our passports, we would rather keep the in the safe at the resort than have to take them with us - but this will only be possible if they do actually accept copy.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/faq/international-travel/required-id-for-alcohol

My dad is going with us this year and he is 60+. As he has never driven, the only other photo ID he has which is government issued is his bus pass! Will he need to take that alongside the copy?

I have only been carded once at Disney- at the WL snack bar by the pool. I was 35. I did not have ID on me as we were swimming. I said to the cashier, “if I wasn’t 21 and I looked like this, wouldn’t you feel so bad for me that you’d give me a drink?” He was not amused :)
I walked right over to the regular bar and got my drinks no problem after that:)

I believe I can provide bang up to date info-as we sadly returned home to UK today.:sad:

I celebrated my birthday-very nearly 50, but clinging onto forties :rolleyes1

I don't drink -so not a concern for me.
Dh is the driver-so none for him whilst driving either (and the only person we were carrying id for)..can you guess where this is going?!

Dd 1 was bagless & therefore non identifiable in every restaurant we attended.
There was never even a question of being carded at 7.30am,11am, 2.50pm,5.00pm,7.30pm...
I'm sure you're getting the picture :crazy:

Come 8.30pm at the hoop dee doo ...drinks aplenty available-oh dear-not a chance!!
The server did come back and say if we had an online copy-that would have sufficed-but passport is truly the only 'done way'.
Needless to say,dd could not find anything on her cell phone and remained sober with the rents.:jumping1:

I believe I can provide bang up to date info-as we sadly returned home to UK today.:sad:

I celebrated my birthday-very nearly 50, but clinging onto forties :rolleyes1

I don't drink -so not a concern for me.
Dh is the driver-so none for him whilst driving either (and the only person we were carrying id for)..can you guess where this is going?!

Dd 1 was bagless & therefore non identifiable in every restaurant we attended.
There was never even a question of being carded at 7.30am,11am, 2.50pm,5.00pm,7.30pm...
I'm sure you're getting the picture :crazy:

Come 8.30pm at the hoop dee doo ...drinks aplenty available-oh dear-not a chance!!
The server did come back and say if we had an online copy-that would have sufficed-but passport is truly the only 'done way'.
Needless to say,dd could not find anything on her cell phone and remained sober with the rents.:jumping1:

Sorry your DD couldn't have a drink, but I appreciate you reporting back. I will just make photocopies of our passports and carry our driver licenses. We are Canadian. I'd rather leave our passports in the safe and not chance losing them at the park.

Sorry your DD couldn't have a drink, but I appreciate you reporting back. I will just make photocopies of our passports and carry our driver licenses. We are Canadian. I'd rather leave our passports in the safe and not chance losing them at the park.

I fully understand not wanting to lose your passports.
We actually met a beautiful English/Canadian couple in jiko!

I had photocopies of our passports-but not on me-duh!!
Photocopies and pics on your mobile sound like they would suffice; if even asked...
It's like having photo Id ready at the resort security booth-never requested when we are prepped and ready.
Blasé with just the wristband and a whole id search required in my bag :rolleyes1

On Disney website it says you can take a copy of passport (on phone or paper). Is this actually true?

Per Florida law, you can use a photocopy of the passport IF it is accompanied by another form of photo ID. so if you have a UK drivers license or ID card with your picture you'll need that to present with the passport photocopy. Otherwise you'll need your actual passport. (I know that some reports from WDW are they will accept just the photocopy. But that's not what Florida says, Florida says you need both.)

My dad is going with us this year and he is 60+. As he has never driven, the only other photo ID he has which is government issued is his bus pass! Will he need to take that alongside the copy?

Should he want to have insurance just in case he is asked to present ID for a drink, then yes, he needs to bring that. There's an outside possibility of him being asked.

I’m 31. I’ve never once been asked for ID at Disney to buy a drink.

I'm 53 and they do ask on occasion. It's just how much of a chance do you want to take that they will ask and then deny you the beverage because you don't have your ID.

Last edited:

Feel free to take a chance in not carrying your id, but realize that IT IS ON YOU if you're turned down because you it's too much of a burden to carry your id card with you.

Every state is supposed to card everyone as to not discriminate.... when they first started with this way back in the day Disney Carded everyone... an older bald gentleman said look at the top of my head... he had no id he did not get in --the days of Pleasure island... some older bartenders may use discretion when management is not present but the rule is to card everyone...if you forget your id you may not get a drink and you have 0 to complain about as those are the rules.

I've been to very few places that card everyone regardless of age. WDW is not one of these places. There's no way the vast majority at WDW are "using discretion when management is not present." But they do ask once in awhile.

Take it just to be on the safe side - We stopped at the beer cart inside Germany multiple times on our 2 week trip, and it ended up being about every other time we were carded

I take my ID always! I had a driver's ed teacher, that scared me so much he empasized how important it is to have your ID with you. Its been 30 years since I had that man, and I get anxious if I dodnt have it, thanks to him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter