Obviously over 40; do I need ID for alcohol?

MickeyEarrings

DIS Veteran
i will be on the DDP this fall and now that it includes alcohol I will be enjoying a few more cocktails than usual.

With the addition of alcoholic beverages to the dining plans, has anyone seen the staff being more diligent about checking IDs? And with a head full of salt-and-pepper hair, would I be expected to carry my ID with me into the parks, or can we “just tell” I’m twenty-one a few times over?

I frequently vacation in CT where I am always carded for beer purchases at the supermarket. Maybe they think the grey on my head is just a bad dye job?
I'd bring proof of age to Disney:).

Last edited:
Well, you’ve convinced me - especially since I don’t want to risk getting my *FREE* boozy treats! Thanks!

I would bring it just in case, which I did on my trip last week, however...I did not get carded at all for any of my alcohol purchases, and there were at least 5. ...and I'm a young looking 33 year old, lol.

I was carded at Coral Reef last year and much closer to 50 than 40 and look about my age. I was shocked. Worth noting - I only had my Canadian driver's license on me and they wouldn't accept that only a passport, so there was no wine with my dinner that night.

With Disney always wanting to protect themselves, I am very surprised they haven't adopted an "ID every person" policy. If my local grocery store Piggly Wiggly does it, I can't believe Disney doesn't. People can understand (at least better) if it's a flat out policy and everyone must show ID.

I am chasing 50 and have recently been carded at WDW.

I teach middle schoolers who think I look ANCIENT. :thanks:, kids! :rotfl:

Not sure where you're from, but the U.S takes underage drinking very seriously. Therefore, Disney has to be extra (and annoyingly cautious) about IDing everyone. It's for liability reasons. I would bring your ID with you to any U.S restaurant that sells alcohol just in case.

Thanks to Loreal I don't have gray hair but am obviously over 21, I have never been asked for ID at WDW but like other's I do always carry it because I use my AP for discounts. My son, who is 37, has been and they still do ask him to show his ID there, he does look younger so I guess I just have that Mom look in my eyes.

Yes.

Because that one time that you might get asked, you'll be angry at them for asking.

Also those who are from another country, remember that under Florida law they want your passport for ID. They will accept a photocopy of the passport if it is accompanied by some other form of photo ID. This is Florida law and not Disney's rule. I saw some guys really give a bartender crap for asking for their passports (which they didn't have with them) not long ago.

I recommend you carry your ID with you. Disney rule for servers is, if you are carded, regardless of how old you look, and don't have an ID, you can not be served.

My 40 year old cousin was just carded on Monday at The Wave. I asked the waiter if he wanted to see mine and he said no, it was fine. :sad:

take it. I'm over 40 and have been carded more than once, even when sitting next to my 16 year old son. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter