No more bags

Yes -- we do this while in WDW, actually -- to put wet ponchos or umbrellas in, or for other purposes!! Then when we buy stuff for others, we gift them those things in one of the bags for each of them when we get home.
I often, for instance, use the XL bags for laundry whenever I have no baskets available, and need to get a huge load done. They hold a lot!

So the reusable bags have arrived at WDW, but contrary to rumours and fears (as well as anger that's been generated by a certain article that had a misleading title), plastic bags are still available.

Personally, I do like the designs of the reusables. However, I was very surprised and disappointed to see that Pandora didn't get any specific reusable bags, which is interesting given how Pandora is a sui generis section that, as part of Fox's deal with Disney pre-takeover, is supposed to be devoid of any Disney branding that would clash with the unique theming of Pandora, which included CMs having different nametags to the rest of WDW, and even the plastic bags are different to the usual Castle bags that are more familiar. And best of all, they're made out of the better 80% PCR #1 PET material, instead of the feared cheap-and-nasty NWPP cloth bags the Disney Stores use.

However, seeing as the Parks are doing the whole bag thing more fairly, why haven't the Disney Stores come to a fairer compromise over the bag fiasco? They need to go back to plastic with a beefed-up thickness to make them compliant with city ordinances (or perhaps paper for areas like Honolulu), this time only dished out if a guest requests it, or at least with a 5-10c fee, and switched their price-point reusables to using the same better material as in the Parks, and this time offering a multitude of sizes that includes jumbo for sales splurges.

So the reusable bags have arrived at WDW, but contrary to rumours and fears (as well as anger that's been generated by a certain article that had a misleading title), plastic bags are still available.

Personally, I do like the designs of the reusables. However, I was very surprised and disappointed to see that Pandora didn't get any specific reusable bags, which is interesting given how Pandora is a sui generis section that, as part of Fox's deal with Disney pre-takeover, is supposed to be devoid of any Disney branding that would clash with the unique theming of Pandora, which included CMs having different nametags to the rest of WDW, and even the plastic bags are different to the usual Castle bags that are more familiar. And best of all, they're made out of the better 80% PCR #1 PET material, instead of the feared cheap-and-nasty NWPP cloth bags the Disney Stores use.

However, seeing as the Parks are doing the whole bag thing more fairly, why haven't the Disney Stores come to a fairer compromise over the bag fiasco? They need to go back to plastic with a beefed-up thickness to make them compliant with city ordinances (or perhaps paper for areas like Honolulu), this time only dished out if a guest requests it, or at least with a 5-10c fee, and switched their price-point reusables to using the same better material as in the Parks, and this time offering a multitude of sizes that includes jumbo for sales splurges.
My guess is that they will continue using disposable plastic bags until they use up their supply.

My guess is that they will continue using disposable plastic bags until they use up their supply.
The July announcement did have an open-ended goal in terms of the reduction of plastic bags in the Parks and Cruise Line, so they'll still have them for the foreseeable future, especially since they're needed for dispatching purchases to the resort rooms, and of course, WDW isn't in an area with an ordinance (Disney controls the area WDW is situated in) and Disneyland falls under the California statewide ordinance, which only affects supermarkets and other large stores that sell food (eg. Target), since Anaheim never had an ordinance until the statewide bag law came into force.

In the parks? I'm not sure they're willing to chance potential lost purchases. I was surprised to read that they were getting rid of plastic bags in the parks altogether -- erroneously reported elsewhere.

I'd guess people would break down as follows if they moved to no plastic in parks except for purchases sent to the front of the park, sent to the hotel, or sent home:

1) Who cares? I'll just buy a bag with every purchase, or bring my own. Yippee!
2) I will buy less in the parks for whatever reason (refuse to bring in or pay for reusables in parks, principle, etc.)
3) I never used to send to the front of the park, to the hotel or home, but I will now.

2) or 3) are bad for Disney. 2) results in lost sales. 3) results in increased manpower costs. I could just raise prices to account for 3, I guess.

I think the OPTION buys them the PR and brings in extra bag revenue. Keeping plastic avoids annoying those in 2). Seems to me like the best place to land. But know knows, these days?!?! :)

In the parks? I'm not sure they're willing to chance potential lost purchases. I was surprised to read that they were getting rid of plastic bags in the parks altogether -- erroneously reported elsewhere.

I'd guess people would break down as follows if they moved to no plastic in parks except for purchases sent to the front of the park, sent to the hotel, or sent home:

1) Who cares? I'll just buy a bag with every purchase, or bring my own. Yippee!
2) I will buy less in the parks for whatever reason (refuse to bring in or pay for reusables in parks, principle, etc.)
3) I never used to send to the front of the park, to the hotel or home, but I will now.

2) or 3) are bad for Disney. 2) results in lost sales. 3) results in increased manpower costs. I could just raise prices to account for 3, I guess.

I think the OPTION buys them the PR and brings in extra bag revenue. Keeping plastic avoids annoying those in 2). Seems to me like the best place to land. But know knows, these days?!?! :)
They'll likely still keep on getting supplies, again because of the need to use them for resort deliveries, though the reduction plan means that they'll order them less and less as they'll have a healthier supply than what would happen during peak, especially since the 'per-request' basis of the plastic bags at the point of sale is likely another reduction measure they'll take, in addition to offering reusable bags as an option, thus stretching out the supply further.

I think they'll try to not give bags. And I believe it will indeed affect profits so they will have to back off on it. But I don't think any reduction plan will start until they use up most of their inventory.

I think they'll try to not give bags. And I believe it will indeed affect profits so they will have to back off on it. But I don't think any reduction plan will start until they use up most of their inventory.
CMs have been told to still offer plastic if a guest requests it, since one merch CM commented on the article in WDWNT that the merch briefing about the reusables did stress that. It's highly unlikely that the CMs will try to pretend that they don't have any, since of course it would result in the guest demanding their superior to intervene. So of course they'll still get supplies (albeit less frequently), but whether or not they'll do something drastic with the bags come next year is a moot point.

CMs have been told to still offer plastic if a guest requests it, since one merch CM commented on the article in WDWNT that the merch briefing about the reusables did stress that. It's highly unlikely that the CMs will try to pretend that they don't have any, since of course it would result in the guest demanding their superior to intervene. So of course they'll still get supplies (albeit less frequently), but whether or not they'll do something drastic with the bags come next year is a moot point.
I have a feeling they will phase it out eventually. More and more places are going without plastic bags and it will become the norm at some point.

I have a feeling they will phase it out eventually. More and more places are going without plastic bags and it will become the norm at some point.
Unless science prevails and bioplastic bags do become the norm, in addition to reusables. You never know, there might be Castle bags that are 100% plant-based in the future.

Personally I don't really care. Its a bag my vacation isn't ruined over a bag. If need be I will pay $1-2.
If it does become an eventuality, I'll be more prepared, unless they do rotate the designs or come out with promotional designs. I collect the bags, so whether plastic, paper, reusable, or even plant-based bioplastic, I'll still collect a Disney bag.

I agree nobody has but I think this has been a bit bigger of a deal than it should be.
I mean the same can be said about so many things. I think it's just something easy to go to to say it's not going to ruin a vacation esepecially when no one has said that. If we limited this board to never talking about what irritates, what annoys, what saddens, what frustrates, and many other emotions we would have hardly much to talk about lol (halfway joking).

I agree nobody has but I think this has been a bit bigger of a deal than it should be.
I think it all boils down to convenience, and how Disney Parks (and theme parks in general) are different from supermarkets and other large stores. Likewise, there's also the question about balancing convenience and conservation, particularly in the current enviropolitical climate where we're grappling with the need to mitigate destructive waste and how our recycling systems badly need improvement, not to mention how science needs to come up with what I term the 'Goldilocks solution', where there's a truly environmentally-friendly solution that would please both sides.

I mean the same can be said about so many things. I think it's just something easy to go to to say it's not going to ruin a vacation esepecially when no one has said that. If we limited this board to never talking about what irritates, what annoys, what saddens, what frustrates, and many other emotions we would have hardly much to talk about lol.
I get that. Just think its just a bag so no big deal and a little confused why some are a little worked up about it. Attractions going away, declines in quality, etc is different.

I am interested in the impact as well; don't quite know what my opinion on it yet. Regardless I would have to say Disney is doing it at the right time if they were going to do it. Star Wars will serve as quite the distraction to a lot of folks I'm thinking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter