No Longer coming to you Live from Disney World! Take 3 DDW'S TAMBU LOUNGE 8/6

I am really pleased you are heading back to DLP Mr DDW :goodvibes
Can't wait to hear about the Ratatouile ride and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts - especially on the restaurant :thumbsup2

Spend nearly all of your time at DLP and very little time (if any) at the Studios would be my advice :thumbsup2

C'est Bon!

I witnessed a man defecating next to a bush on a sidewalk in Nice, France when I was traveling with my teenage students in 2013. There were people walking by him, and no one seemed disturbed by it. We found it quite shocking.

Unfortunately, when people ask the kids about their time in France, this is one if the first stories they tell. France definitely made some kind of an impression on them. :goodvibes

Thanks for the in-depth review and pictures of DLP. I've enjoyed it!
Oh wow - I can definitely understand why that incident stuck with your students. That's the kind of thing that would surprise me anywhere, but maybe it'll start to become a bit less surprising in France. :laughing: Glad you enjoyed the DLP update, and I'll have even more photos in about a week!

I am really pleased you are heading back to DLP Mr DDW :goodvibes
Can't wait to hear about the Ratatouile ride and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts - especially on the restaurant :thumbsup2

Spend nearly all of your time at DLP and very little time (if any) at the Studios would be my advice :thumbsup2

C'est Bon!
I'm definitely looking forward to giving DLP another try - maybe the smoking and 'culture shock' will be less of an issue this time. ;) I still have a few more days in Paris itself, and while the food and tourist attractions are great, I'm excited to spend some time in a Disney bubble again.

Unfortunately, I expect to spend more time in the Studios than I'd like, since Crush and Ratatouille will both necessitate rope drop. Besides that, Disneyland Park will be my priority (as well as exploring the onsite resorts). :)

looks lovely but I dont think any other parks can compare to walt disney world..;)
You're right that nowhere else offers the same immersion and scale of WDW! That said, the parks at Disneyland (and apparently Tokyo Disney) are really, really good - probably better than the ones in Orlando. Even Universal is starting to give Disney a run for its money, thanks to the incredible new expansions. :thumbsup2

Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind another non-Disney update, but at least this one will be all about the food. My time in Paris is almost up, and I'll be heading over to DLP (staying off-site) on Tuesday. It's been an interesting week, and although I wasn't intending to spend the entire time in one city, it's been nice being able to explore and discover things I would've otherwise missed. Of course, a lot of what I'm referring to is food-related! Here are some of my Paris highlights.

Ladurée - the quintessential (and ubiquitous) macaron shop of Paris

DSC_0009_zps02972c5e.jpg

DSC_0017_zps9e35bf12.jpg

DSC_0023_zpsde32152a.jpg

DSC_0022_zps78351f89.jpg

My favorites were the rose petal, pistachio, and salted caramel.

DSC_0572_zpsc9bfceef.jpg

I also tried a special, larger macaron that included fresh strawberries and a zesty yuzu center. I absolutely love yuzu!

DSC_0583_zps2634a0d3.jpg

As good as the macarons at Ladurée are, I might have preferred the ones at Pierre Hermé. The flavors, from chocolate-passionfruit to olive oil-vanilla, were more interesting.

DSC_0194_zpsd1c263a2.jpg

In addition to macarons, I had to try a French mille-feuille (napoleon). One thing I noticed throughout Paris was that the 'puff pastry' was actually thick and crunchy, which made the pastry less soggy in the middle.

DSC_0304_zps830ff894.jpg

This vanilla mille-feuille from Le Grenier à Pain was delicious!

IMG_6734_zps9630e7a6.jpg

Another bakery I visited was Sadaharu Aioki, which has locations in Tokyo and Paris. As that would indicate, the bakery offers French classics with a Japanese twist.

While the wasabi macarons (!) didn't have as much of a kick as I would've liked, the yuzu macarons and yuzu tart were bright, citrusy, and flavorful.

DSC_0685_zps5e2db96d.jpg

The next category on my foodie tour of Paris? Crêpes. This one, from Crêperie Josselin, included mashed eggplant, bacon, and egg. It was savory perfection.

DSC_0406_zps98fe316d.jpg

Dessert was a simple crêpe with lemon juice and a touch of sugar.

DSC_0407_zps351f2ed9.jpg

At another crêpe restaurant, Crêperie Brocéliande, I really enjoyed my savory crêpe with salmon, creamed spinach, and lemon.

DSC_0554_zpsb87b0124.jpg

My last crêpe was from Little Breizh - it was a dessert crêpe with caramelized apples, home-made salted butter caramel, and vanilla ice cream. Delicious!

DSC_0695_zps216c5222.jpg

Based on my reviews of L'Artisan des Glaces, you may know that I seriously love well-made ice cream and sorbet. Fortunately, Paris has plenty of that. One of the best places I tried was actually an Italian-run gelato shop, Pozzetto. The strawberry, mint, and pistachio were amazing! I actually went back and got the exact same thing.

DSC_0330_zpsc3c99133.jpg

Another top choice is Berthilllon, where I tried some incredible flavors such as pineapple-basil, wild strawberry, fig, and yuzu yogurt. However, the scoops here are small.

DSC_0546_zps40578330.jpg

Aside from all that sugar, I also tried some great savory items. If you like falafel, L'As du Fallafel is worth a try. They offer a massive (and fairly cheap) falafel sandwich with some interesting toppings, including eggplant.

DSC_0590_zpse712a6ac.jpg

The other big surprise of the city was the food truck scene. Paris has some amazing food trucks, and two of the most popular ones specialize in burgers! Yep, it seems like the French are willing to pay (and wait) for quality takes on this American classic.

The first one I visited was Le Camion Qui Fume, where the overall wait was 40 minutes from getting in line to receiving my food.

IMG_6769_zps41f4c4ea.jpg

This burger (with wild mushrooms, caramelized onions, and gruyère) was so tasty! The frites on the side were freshly made and also delicious.

DSC_0579_zps225d6fd9.jpg

Mustard wasn't a condiment option, but curry mango sauce was. It was sweet and enjoyable with the frites.

IMG_6773_zpsd097d847.jpg

The last food truck I visited was Cantine California, which specializes in burgers and tacos. What I liked about this food truck is that is uses lots of organic ingredients, including organic French beef.

IMG_6904_zps80194c12.jpg

Menu

IMG_6906_zpsd1132d88.jpg

My choice (the Obama burger) was a bit messy, but the taste more than made up for it. The salty gouda, sweet tomatoes, briny pickles, and creamy guacamole all came together perfectly with the burger and greens. Again, the frites were prepared freshly on the truck and tasted really good.

DSC_0648_zpsfdb88649.jpg

From light and airy macarons to thick, hearty burgers, my food experience in Paris was full of fun surprises. I'm doubtful that the food at DLP will live up to what I've already experienced, but there's still hope - I've booked two TS meals that I'm very excited for. Those updates will hopefully come in a few days - I can't wait to share more DLP updates soon. :goodvibes

Oh my goodness Mr DDW, what a wonderful array of yummy food!
The bakery selections looked AMAZING !!:cloud9:

Great pictures from Paris! Everything looks so delicious!

I hope your second visit to DLP is better than the first...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Mr. DDW your food photos are so visually stunning - so beautiful! Who would have thought food trucks would be such a great option? :confused3 That's awesome though.

Bummer that DLP was a bit of a disappointment. At least you have a comparison between the different Disney theme parks. :)

Hey again! Will reply to posts and share a more comprehensive update later, but just wanted to share - today I made it into a soft opening for Ratatouille!

DSC_0849_zps65c2681e.jpg

IMG_7352_zps7e0100c5.jpg

DSC_0846_zps1d1ccbdf.jpg

It's not Diagon Alley/Gringotts (since Disney doesn't build stuff like that anymore), but this mini-land is definitely an improvement for a sorely lacking park.

I'll also have a lunch review from the new restaurant. :thumbsup2

DSC_0821_zps6a0007d2.jpg

DDW - can't wait for your Ratatouille update.

Like Linda, I would have to jump to DLP's defence, but to be fair, in my many trips there I have NEVER seen any guest behaviour like you experienced!! You make a fair point re the smoking though. Laws in France prevent banning smoking in outdoor public spaces, and Disney is sadly no exception.

DLP is very different to WDW, the resort is so much smaller in scale but I think can be appreciated on its own terms. Despite living next door to France, we speak very little French but have not found that to be a problem with the CMs.

The Studios is a park we would visit for no more than a few hours at a time. Cinemagique is my favourite attraction there :) Give the backlot tour a miss though - it was seriously shortened to make room for the Toy Story and Ratatouille areas of the park and is appalling as a result.

I hope you get to go on Space Mountain as it is excellent. I always find it hurts my ears, but I think it's because I'm quite short so you should be OK. :thumbsup2

I'm actually going to be in DLP for a day later in July (21st) but assume you will have gone by then? Probably a lucky escape as I will have 40 teenagers in tow!!

Can't wait for the Update! Remy is one if my favs and a return trip to Paris may be in my future to see this :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Ok, so here's that DLP update I promised, starting from Tuesday morning when I exchanged my voucher for a ticket at DLP. The weather was cold, rainy, and ominous - apparently that's typical for July (the weather is the same today).

IMG_7256_zpsf75a9b04.jpg

I made it to the park before it opened at 10, and after 'rope drop' I headed straight to Space Mountain. The line was short enough that I was able to walk on twice (and even a third time in the evening). It's a good ride! Think SM's theme with less intense elements of RnRC, such as inversions, a launch, and on-board audio (although I prefer Disneyland's in Anaheim for its specific soundtrack and the extremely smooth ride experience).

IMG_7268_zpsb3dca224.jpg

Then I headed over to Walt Disney Studios to see if Ratatouille was doing a soft opening. It wasn't yet, so I decided to try RC Racer in Toy Story Playland.

IMG_7276_zps23663df2.jpg

While this ride is short and nothing special, it was still fun to try since there wasn't a wait.

Meanwhile, the single rider wait time for Crush's Coaster had decreased from 80 to 60 minutes, so I got in line. (This picture is from my visit one week ago, as the sky was bad for photos throughout the day.)

DSC_0126_zpsee184224.jpg

After 25 minutes (when I was 4 people away from riding), Crush went down. Apparently this happens all the time, but at least I was able to get a picture of the loading area with the lights on! 50 minutes later, the ride started loading again.

DSC_0814_zps8d933df5.jpg

Was it worth it? Kind of. I wouldn't queue for it again, but the ride was an interesting fusion of The Seas with Nemo & Friends, Primeval Whirl, and MK's Space Mountain. If not for the constant breakdowns, I could see this in Pixar Place at DHS (although I think DHS needs a more family-friendly ride to reduce the burden on TSMM).

Ratatouille still wasn't open, so I went to see CinéMagique, a unique show at WDS.

IMG_7328_zps4b9ee09b.jpg

CinéMagique is the park's tribute to the movies, like the Great Movie Ride but a show and without audio-animatronics. I already knew the premise of it from researching the park, but it still impressed me. In fact, it's something that could work at DHS (although it'll never happen, due to the film rights that would need to be obtained).

Soon after that, Ratatouille soft opened, and the single rider wait was only 5 minutes! This ride is cute, fun, and family-friendly - it uses a trackless ride vehicle and 3D screens to move you around while Remy is chased from one screen to another. I don't want to spoil the ride, but personally I found it to be too screen-reliant (this is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of TSMM either). That said, I think the ride is a step up for this park, mainly because WDS doesn't have much else that's decent and family-friendly.

DSC_0849_zps65c2681e.jpg

Lunch was at Bistrot Chez Rémy, as they were still letting people in to try the new restaurant.

DSC_0846_zps1d1ccbdf.jpg

A quick look around:

DSC_0825_zpsea575b82.jpg

DSC_0842_zps2d15911c.jpg

Menu

DSC_0823_zpsce5d049e.jpg

I chose the menu that included a drink and dessert (an appetizer and main course are always included). The salad starter was fine - a basic salad with a soy-based dressing, although I found the cheese to be odd with the other ingredients. By the way, as you may have noticed on the menu, this salad is the only appetizer.

DSC_0826_zpsd9fa95d5.jpg

The main course selection is limited to three dishes, and my choice was the cod. Served with ratatouille (not the elegant version from the movie), crushed potatoes, and a creamy sauce, it was a solid dish. I'd probably be happy with it at a 1-credit WDW restaurant, but it certainly wasn't signature.

DSC_0828_zps284c76f5.jpg

My dessert choice was the rum baba - a light, rum-flavored cake with some whipped cream. This was fine, but I shouldn't have bothered with dessert - none of them sounded like they were worth 8-10 euros extra. In fact, all the desserts sounded like copouts to me - they're things that can be prepared in advance and plated in 5-10 seconds. Be Our Guest at Magic Kingdom is no different, but the desserts at BOG don't cost 7,99 euros (almost $11 USD).

DSC_0834_zpsfe0b7ee3.jpg

Overall, this restaurant was fine, with my main course being quite enjoyable. But I definitely found it to be overpriced. Maybe it's not that bad for Europe (although it's certainly bad compared to menus I passed in Paris), but this didn't feel like a 40 euro meal to me (that's about $54-55 USD). Maybe the price would seem reasonable if the menu had more than 1 appetizer, more than 3 main courses, some interesting desserts, or characters at the restaurant.

Before leaving WDS, I did two more things: AniMagique and RnRC. I was expecting AniMagique to be a tribute to animated movies like Mickey's PhilharMagic, and it both met and didn't meet my expectations. It perplexed me, but I liked that Donald had a starring role.

RnRC is actually way worse over here, even though the track and onboard audio are the same. The ride has been stripped of its cool exterior, pre-show, story, limo design, post-show, and Hollywood/LA visuals, instead receiving a 10-second pre-show and flashing rainbow lights. It's amazing how much this ride loses without the story it has at DHS.

IMG_7310_zpsb6dc8c73.jpg

In the evening, I returned to DL and decided to have a quick service dinner. My stop was Restaurant Hakuna Matata.

DSC_0901_zps00e88fe9.jpg

Like most of Adventureland, Hakuna Matata has great theming. Instrumental music from The Lion King plays in the background, and this place would fit right in at Harambe or AKL.

DSC_0903_zpsb0aedd50.jpg

DSC_0907_zpscbadaef7.jpg

My choice was the African Chicken meal, which I got with salad, a pineapple tart, and bottled water. The chicken was milder than I would've liked, but it was tender and enjoyable with the salad greens. The pineapple tart had a tasty filling, almost custard-like with pineapple pieces.

DSC_0911_zps45e15d7a.jpg

I did a few more rides in the evening, including Space Mountain and a DLP 'exclusive': Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril. Disney and Indiana Jones have always been a great combination - what could go wrong?

DSC_0914_zpsf5472fd6.jpg

Actually, a lot. Besides the neat-looking temple exterior, this was a basic, bare-bones coaster with no story or anything interesting going on. Not only that, but it's the most painful Disney ride I've ever experienced. The coaster seems poorly built and it rattles you around violently. In fact, before the loop I actually leaned forward to avoid making contact with the vehicle (since I knew it would hurt). Online reviews from coaster fanatics seem to share the same thoughts. This ride is a terrible blemish on what's otherwise a nicely designed Adventureland.

Oddly enough, it's been cloned and brought to Tokyo DisneySea with a different name (Raging Spirits) and some fire effects. So if any of you are ever in Tokyo, my recommendation is to skip this one!

Before leaving the park, I rode DL's other two headliners again: Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain (which are both really good).

DSC_0918_zps68f0c3ad.jpg

Big Thunder Mountain

DSC_0917_zps3b2cd5a7.jpg

I would've stayed for Disney Dreams, but it was cold, wet, and the show was still 2 hours away. Instead, I made it back to my hotel in time to watch Germany crush Brazil in the World Cup.

In spite of the poor weather, this was definitely better than my first experience at DLP. It also showed me you can hit the highlights of both parks in a day or two, which would be my recommendation to anyone planning a visit from the states. And I'm saying this as a Disney fan! Of course, there are still 2 more days for me to cover (including today, the 9th), so there'll be at least one or two more DLP updates.

LOVED that update, DDW! Everything looks delicious!::yes::
Glad you liked the update! Paris is such an amazing city for food - you don't even need to eat at the restaurants! (Well, a crêperie or two is a good idea). ;)

Oh my goodness Mr DDW, what a wonderful array of yummy food!
The bakery selections looked AMAZING !!:cloud9:
I'm looking forward to getting back to my healthier American diet - Parisian baked goods are just too tempting. :laughing:

Wow! Amazing food choices! Thanks so much for the awesome update!
Glad you enjoyed! I made sure to focus on the good places I experienced, so those pictures can all serve as a 'recommendation' in case someone reading this visits Paris. ;)

Great pictures from Paris! Everything looks so delicious!

I hope your second visit to DLP is better than the first...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Thanks for the kind words! And visit #2 is definitely going better than the first, but I'm still noticing things about DLP that feel 'off' compared to WDW and DL. :confused3 It's nice to see this place once (or technically twice now), but I think that'll be enough for me!

Mr. DDW your food photos are so visually stunning - so beautiful! Who would have thought food trucks would be such a great option? :confused3 That's awesome though.

Bummer that DLP was a bit of a disappointment. At least you have a comparison between the different Disney theme parks. :)
Food trucks can be amazing and affordable! A lot of them are bad which gives them a poor reputation, but there are so many food trucks out there that do things creatively and with quality ingredients. Still, it definitely amuses me that two of Paris's best ones focus on burgers. :laughing:

And while DLP has more positives than I first experienced, I'd still call it the weakest Disney destination I've visited. By a large margin. But you're right, it's nice to be able to make the comparison and form an opinion for myself. :)

DDW - can't wait for your Ratatouille update.

Like Linda, I would have to jump to DLP's defence, but to be fair, in my many trips there I have NEVER seen any guest behaviour like you experienced!! You make a fair point re the smoking though. Laws in France prevent banning smoking in outdoor public spaces, and Disney is sadly no exception.

DLP is very different to WDW, the resort is so much smaller in scale but I think can be appreciated on its own terms. Despite living next door to France, we speak very little French but have not found that to be a problem with the CMs.

The Studios is a park we would visit for no more than a few hours at a time. Cinemagique is my favourite attraction there :) Give the backlot tour a miss though - it was seriously shortened to make room for the Toy Story and Ratatouille areas of the park and is appalling as a result.

I hope you get to go on Space Mountain as it is excellent. I always find it hurts my ears, but I think it's because I'm quite short so you should be OK. :thumbsup2

I'm actually going to be in DLP for a day later in July (21st) but assume you will have gone by then? Probably a lucky escape as I will have 40 teenagers in tow!!
The Ratatouille update is posted - while I don't think it's Disney's best work ever, it's definitely a solid, nicely themed, and family-friendly experience.

Guest behavior hasn't been as bad as it was on the first day...although the smoking still annoys me (especially when I'm on my way somewhere and someone turns around randomly and exhales smoke in my direction). :sad2: Interestingly, the Disney parks do have designated smoking areas and a non-smoking policy (it's on the maps in all languages). But guests simply choose to ignore it (and cast members don't enforce it). I suppose that's Europe...

(and here's the map picture to prove it)

DSC_0981_zps527f59bb.jpg

I'm also surprised by the issues with English - French definitely seems to be the 'main' language, and many cast members either don't speak English or don't know certain relevant words. Twice in restaurants now, my English-speaking server has been confused by my water order - still/flat water at Remy ("pas gazeuse"), and tap water at a restaurant today. I know enough French words to get by, but the experience doesn't feel seamless to me as a non-fluent speaker.

Space Mountain and CinéMagique are both solid recommendations - I experienced them yesterday! :thumbsup2 And you're right about the Studio park, it's more enjoyable in small doses.

And have fun during your visit! I'll be gone by the end of this week, but it sounds like you'll have a lot of company!

Can't wait for the Update! Remy is one if my favs and a return trip to Paris may be in my future to see this :)

While I wouldn't recommend going out of your way for Ratatouille, it might be worth a day trip again if you're planning to visit Europe. :goodvibes

Ah, your updates make me miss Paris so much! The food and wine is so amazing! I enjoyed DLP but when I lived in Germany it was more of a little piece of home away from home. The food is overpriced and not very good at DLP but thankfully Paris is only a short train ride away.

Jill in CO

Ah, your updates make me miss Paris so much! The food and wine is so amazing! I enjoyed DLP but when I lived in Germany it was more of a little piece of home away from home. The food is overpriced and not very good at DLP but thankfully Paris is only a short train ride away.

Jill in CO
Agreed on Paris - it's such a great city for food (as well as wine, although I didn't partake in that enough). :laughing: And it's so cool that you lived in Germany! DLP must've definitely been convenient from there - it seems like most of DLP's visitors come from France, the UK, Germany, Italy, and maybe Spain.

As for the food...yeah, that's the impression I got from my research, and being here hasn't challenged that impression too much. Although there's at least one restaurant that I thoroughly enjoyed - an amazing atmosphere and solid food (especially compared to other TS restaurants in the park). :thumbsup2 I'll try to get that review up tomorrow, because it's easily been a highlight of my DLP visit thus far.

I'm so glad I came across I your review! We're going to Italy in September for my husband's boss' wedding. We're still on the fence about bringing the kids, but if we do we were planning to stop in Paris for 2 days on the way home; DLP for 1.5. Glad to hear we could probably get through a decent amount in that time. I guess we'll have our work cut out for us though since neither of us speaks french!

The macaroons look amazing, I'm so looking forward to hunting some down. I'll be using your report as a guide :)

Love the update! The restaurant looks great and the ride super cute!

I'm so glad I came across I your review! We're going to Italy in September for my husband's boss' wedding. We're still on the fence about bringing the kids, but if we do we were planning to stop in Paris for 2 days on the way home; DLP for 1.5. Glad to hear we could probably get through a decent amount in that time. I guess we'll have our work cut out for us though since neither of us speaks french!

The macaroons look amazing, I'm so looking forward to hunting some down. I'll be using your report as a guide :)
I hope you have a great time in Italy! That's one country I'd love to visit one day - it looks beautiful, and the culture seems so warm and friendly. :goodvibes

If you do make it to Paris, I definitely think a day (or 1.5 days) would be good enough for the parks at DLP. My one piece of advice would be to make rope drop if you can - that makes a huge difference for rides such as Crush's Coaster (if you're interested in thrills) and Ratatouille (since it's still new). And definitely get some macarons if you're in the city - Ladurée and Pierre Hermé seem to be all over the place. ::yes::

Love the update! The restaurant looks great and the ride super cute!

The restaurant is very cute! It's probably the Be Our Guest of DLP right now - a themed, immersive experience that'll serve as an anchor for this brand new mini-land. Admittedly, Be Our Guest is cheaper...and offers more variety...and the materials look less 'plasticky' on the inside. But for Paris, this is a solid addition!

As for the ride itself, I'm sure it'll also be a hit - the standby wait was hitting 120-180 minutes today. It isn't a personal favorite of mine (just like TSMM isn't), but it's a modern and silly attraction that families should really enjoy. For a park like WDS, that's a big deal. :thumbsup2

Before I get to my first extremely positive update of DLP, I have to start with a negative one. Yesterday I took some time to explore the on-site hotels (since I wanted to see what I'm missing out on). Frankly, it doesn't look like I'm missing out on much.

First up, the Newport Bay Club. This is a larger, cheaply made version of Yacht and Beach Club (designed by the same architect, in fact). It's considered a moderate hotel, although the prices seemed really high to me.

The Newport Bay Club is across the lake in this picture - you can see that a massive refurbishment is taking place at the resort.

DSC_0939_zps201fb225.jpg

Up close, it's apparent that this 'refurbishment' is happening out of necessity more than anything. Just look at the clapboard exterior - it's black all over the place!

DSC_0948_zpsa0935dc9.jpg

I've spent some time reading about the operations of Disney parks around the world, and one thing that kept coming up is how horribly maintained DLRP is. This was a clear example of that. As annoying as WDW's and DL's frequent refurbishments can be (such as the Polynesian right now), at least the stateside parks and Tokyo would never let things get this bad at one of their resorts.

DSC_0949_zpsd2acd387.jpg

The inside wasn't particularly inspiring either - it's more reminiscent of YC than BC, but WDW definitely did it better.

DSC_0952_zps6617a66f.jpg

Next up, Sequoia Lodge. This hotel is similar in theming to Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Californian, although it lacks the grandeur and impressive lobbies of either one.

DSC_0955_zpse505cb7f.jpg

The building exterior is also oddly flat.

DSC_0956_zps81e536d1.jpg

Here's a picture of the lobby area - it's nothing to get excited about. That's a shame, as the lobby is a defining factor at both WL and GCH.

DSC_0962_zps05b316f2.jpg

Atrium looking outside

DSC_0957_zps98c97d88.jpg

The Hotel New York also surrounds this lake area. This hotel was designed by the same architect responsible for the Swan and Dolphin, and it's amazing how similar some of the exterior motifs are to those resorts. Sadly, the whimsy and ambition are missing here, but I still found this hotel to be okay.

DSC_0965_zps9a6cdb05.jpg

DSC_0967_zps3f1e7dcb.jpg

DSC_0974_zpsb7532468.jpg

The New York theming is somewhat interesting but verges on tacky - I prefer the 'softer' interiors of the Swan and Dolphin, but this was probably my favorite of the three lakeside resorts.

DSC_0971_zps623c5158.jpg

The downside of staying in this area is that you have to walk through Disney Village to reach the parks. I strongly dislike Disney Village - it's gloomy and completely lacking in charm (with the possible exception of Earl of Sandwich).

DSC_0975_zps398e5ed4.jpg

DSC_0976_zpse3122c8b.jpg

The last hotel I visited was the flagship one, the Disneyland Hotel. This is the resort that overlooks the entrance to Disneyland Park.

DSC_0038_zps287c9365.jpg

Honestly, the interior didn't impress me. It looks like the Grand Floridian, except with a lamer lobby and carpeting that should probably be replaced.

DSC_0997_zpsc04b5878.jpg

DSC_0994_zpsc86c15bc.jpg

For the record, I didn't just walk through the lobby - I also explored public areas, including the 3rd floor which houses DLP's own California Grill. The prices make Contemporary's restaurant look like a bargain (those prices are euros, not dollars).

DSC_1002_zps45c01d72.jpg

Perhaps it can be argued that this hotel has the best location imaginable. I disagree - I prefer GF's picturesque setting on the Seven Seas Lagoon, with the Magic Kingdom and other resorts in the background (and GF is still a stone's throw from MK anyway).

I hope you enjoyed this look at DLP's four moderate/deluxe hotels, even though they all looked extremely disappointing to me. Apparently the rooms at most of these hotels (besides Sequoia and Newport Bay right now) haven't received a serious refurbishment. Plus, the prices seem extremely high compared to WDW's deluxe resorts (even factoring in the discounts shown online). Touring these hotels reminded me how impressive the properties at WDW and DL actually are - they're beautifully designed (for the most part) and Disney keeps updating and maintaining them, whether we like it or not!

(By the way, there are actually 3 more on-site hotels, but they're cheaper, further away, and not as 'nice' as these ones.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter