News Round Up 2020

They need to put BACK and increase mentions of poachers!
Agree -- while my kids love the Safari simply from seeing the animals up close, I think they would have liked the (from an educational standpoint) the poacher story. That and the "collapsing bridge" added a little thrill to the ride and just seems missing and the ride feels more like a ride through a "zoo" rather than immersion into a real African Safari.

They need to put BACK and increase mentions of poachers!

I for one am very glad they took that out, as well (usually) the collapsing bridge spiel. As a local who rides the safari 12+ times a year, it got quite annoying to have to listen to that every time. I wish they’d put more animals in towards the end in the spring area. Observing animals is far more interesting than a fake poacher spiel. Now if only they’d stop pointing out the obviously fake baobab trees nearly every time...I really don’t like how they pretend they’re real. First time or infrequent visitors may think they are actually are real, and that’s deceiving. Repeat/frequent visitors will figure it out as they are never in bloom and never grow or change in any way.

I’m all for educating people on poaching and prevention, of course. Safari drivers frequently mention the issue- I think that way is far more educational than a fake chase resulting in finding a fake elephant calf anyways.

I for one am very glad they took that out, as well (usually) the collapsing bridge spiel. As a local who rides the safari 12+ times a year, it got quite annoying to have to listen to that every time. I wish they’d put more animals in towards the end in the spring area. Observing animals is far more interesting than a fake poacher spiel. Now if only they’d stop pointing out the obviously fake baobab trees nearly every time...I really don’t like how they pretend they’re real. First time or infrequent visitors may think they are actually are real, and that’s deceiving. Repeat/frequent visitors will figure it out as they are never in bloom and never grow or change in any way.

I’m all for educating people on poaching and prevention, of course. Safari drivers frequently mention the issue- I think that way is far more educational than a fake chase resulting in finding a fake elephant calf anyways.
We went on the safari with a friend a couple of years ago and during the baobab spiel, she asked how they transported the trees from Africa to Florida, to which the guide reminded her that we were in Africa. Then, off mic, he told her what they really were.

Alcohol based hand sanitizers kill viruses.
Alcohol can kill viruses, too. Not just bacteria.

Yes, and alcohol-based sanitizers are part of the CDC's recommendations for avoiding COVID-19:

"If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty. "
and
"Travelers should avoid contact with sick people and clean their hands often by washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%–95% alcohol. "
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

Now if only they’d stop pointing out the obviously fake baobab trees nearly every time...I really don’t like how they pretend they’re real. First time or infrequent visitors may think they are actually are real, and that’s deceiving. Repeat/frequent visitors will figure it out as they are never in bloom and never grow or change in any way.

Two words - Ostrich Eggs...OK, more than two - Ostrich Eggs in the open surrounded by giant, heavy rhinos.

...I must be an idiot, because I didn't know they weren't real until I saw it on these forums 🙈 But I don't care, and I really doubt most people do. They look cool. I don't find it deceitful.

You must hate the Jungle Cruise LOL

Hate? No, but it’s not a favorite. Twice a year or so. It is a classic. I prefer real animals though.

We went on the safari with a friend a couple of years ago and during the baobab spiel, she asked how they transported the trees from Africa to Florida, to which the guide reminded her that we were in Africa. Then, off mic, he told her what they really were.

Steel, plaster, and paint? I really don’t know.

Once when I was in a vehicle that happened to have only adults and was seated at the front, I said something to the driver (forget what my exact words were) about them being fake and she just brushed it off.

Hate? No, but it’s not a favorite. Twice a year or so. It is a classic. I prefer real animals though.

Steel, plaster, and paint? I really don’t know.

Once when I was in a vehicle that happened to have only adults and was seated at the front, I said something to the driver (forget what my exact words were) about them being fake and she just brushed it off.

What made you say something about them being fake?

...I must be an idiot, because I didn't know they weren't real until I saw it on these forums 🙈 But I don't care, and I really doubt most people do. They look cool. I don't find it deceitful.

No, they’re really well done. It took us awhile to realize they were fake. If you’re not seeing it frequently it’s easy to not notice they don’t change or bloom.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter