News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like them to keep Soarin' while building updated versions of Living with the Land and The Seas building but I'm not sure that's the path they're taking. I would miss Living with the Land even though portions of it are in great need of updating. The green house portion still fascinates me even though we've ridden more times than I can count.

Also to add to my skepticism, Martin has confirmed that he knows of plans to refurbish both pavilions, not demolish them. So I’m sticking with the miscommunicated Project Gemini resurfacing rumor.

It seems like some of what they are doing, including elements of that concept art they showed at D23, leveraged elements of Project Gemini so I can see how things would get mixed up as to what is being leveraged and what is old plans and not going forward

(although I thought Project Gemini still had the Land pavilion, I just know it had the suspected Rain Forest rollercoaster going around it)

I hate the thought of losing Living With the Land. Hate it. I love that ride, it's so peaceful. One of my first memories of Epcot.

Don't leave me... :(
There is a lot of nostalgia associated with Epcot, the problem is that is all it is left in those pavilions especially.
After fondly remembering this park and the rides from the 80s, we skipped it until my son was finally in elementary school.

What did my kids like there the best? Frozen, Soaring, Test Track, Baymax M&G, Turtle Talk -- all things added since the 80s to spice up the park. I enjoyed Living with the Land and Imagination ride simply because of my memories, but I have to admit, they are pretty darn boring attractions now.

The other problem with the park (that I remember) is the long hot walks between attractions. That wasnt so bad previously when there were more things to do inside the pavilions, now -- not so much. It tires out the family.

There is a lot of nostalgia associated with Epcot, the problem is that is all it is left in those pavilions especially.
After fondly remembering this park and the rides from the 80s, we skipped it until my son was finally in elementary school.

What did my kids like there the best? Frozen, Soaring, Test Track, Baymax M&G, Turtle Talk -- all things added since the 80s to spice up the park. I enjoyed Living with the Land and Imagination ride simply because of my memories, but I have to admit, they are pretty darn boring attractions now.

The other problem with the park (that I remember) is the long hot walks between attractions. That wasnt so bad previously when there were more things to do inside the pavilions, now -- not so much. It tires out the family.

Maybe that is why this rumor hits me so hard as it is nostalgia but also present day as Living with the Land is one of my entire family's favorite - including my kids. It is one ride we do multiple times each trip

granted my kids are also the ones that request Carousel of Progress, so perhaps it is just us #RaisingThemRight

It's all about perspective.

In your opinion it's boring to you now, not to me.

It's nice your kids like those things, but, no offense, that doesn't matter to me.

I realize things change, it's fine. I can still be sad about it.

I skimmed through several posts so if someone else mentioned this and I didn't see it, I apologize.

Another reason I'm HIGHLY skeptical of the notion that The Land pavilion would be on the chopping block is that they JUST commissioned a new film for that one theater where Circle of Life used to play. Garden Grill? Sunshine Seasons? Soarin'? Living w/ the Land? All are among the more popular attractions and eating establishments in all of Epcot.

The living Sea rumor is so far out on the timeline that I'm confident it will change several times before 2024. It definitely hits me hard though (if this comes true, it would replace the lose of Adventurer's Club as the worst closing). I'm a huge underwater fan, I SCUBA dive in that tank every other vacation, I eat at the Coral Reef every vacation (my only mandatory dining spot each trip) and I wonder around the aquarium part several times each vacation too. I will admit though, it is need of renovations. Maybe they can build a brand new one next door, to include the coral reef restaurant. My kids are 2 and 6 and they also love this place. This year they'll finally be able to see me diving in it. This is my favorite building on Disney property. I'm hoping they don't demolish it but instead it turns out to be a renovation. But only time will tell.

Honestly I would hate to see the Seas go, but If they move the Aquatic animals to Animal Kingdom possibly put these out by Rafikis planet watch. With a more interactive elements and better tank, than I would be fine with it. IF they kept Turtle Talk and replaced Finding Nemo with Crush Coaster, i think it would be a good change for EPCOT. As for the Land Pavillion, Keep the green house and yes redo the rest of the pavilion. You could easily keep soaring up and going and section off the rest of it while changing things around. Living with the Land could get a major update replacement and still keep the green house portion of it. Or honestly they could just Demo the Green House and rebuild it some where else on site. I do agree though that this portion of EPCOT would prob be a better thematic fit for Animal Kingdom as there isnt much futureistic about hydroponics anymore.

It's all about perspective.

In your opinion it's boring to you now, not to me.

It's nice your kids like those things, but, no offense, that doesn't matter to me.

I realize things change, it's fine. I can still be sad about it.

I agree @Farro EPCOT *should* be about nostalgia. Its one of few things at WDW that honors what Walt envisioned for Orlando before he died and it will be sad to see them get rid of it for more flashy IPs.

I agree @Farro EPCOT *should* be about nostalgia. Its one of few things at WDW that honors what Walt envisioned for Orlando before he died and it will be sad to see them get rid of it for more flashy IPs.
I love the original vision of Epcot, but I also understand that the method of producing rides for corporations is pretty much dead. There’s a lot of interesting factors to that, but simply put because times change and it’s easier to market on the internet and such.

That being said, there’s ways to keep that idea of discovery instead of selling out to the new hot IP. Look at the project Gemini plans and see how they wanted to change it to “discoveryland”. While I’m glad some things from that plan didn’t happen, like gutting spaceship earth, pivoting to a related but different theme is what future world needs

When EPCOT opened in 1982, Future World pavilions were designed with a yesterday, today and tomorrow story line. It was not just about nostalgia, its about what is happening today and what could happen in the future.

Walt's vision of EPCOT was total different from what was ultimately built, borrowing only the name. You can see a model of what Walt envisioned when you ride the people mover at the MK and pass through Space Mountain. There is none of that in the original EPCOT or the Epcot of today. In fact, the Imagineers of the day have said that they really didn't know how to interpret Walt's ideas into a theme park. (Marty Skylar wrote a book that covered a lot of their thinking at the time.)

I'm also amused by how many people here complain about IP based attractions. Yet, every time a new Disney movie comes out there are immediately questions on the boards about "Where can we find <fill in the blank> character/attraction in the parks? Clearly IP has a huge impact on them park development.

When EPCOT opened in 1982, Future World pavilions were designed with a yesterday, today and tomorrow story line. It was not just about nostalgia, its about what is happening today and what could happen in the future.

Walt's vision of EPCOT was total different from what was ultimately built, borrowing only the name. You can see a model of what Walt envisioned when you ride the people mover at the MK and pass through Space Mountain. There is none of that in the original EPCOT or the Epcot of today. In fact, the Imagineers of the day have said that they really didn't know how to interpret Walt's ideas into a theme park. (Marty Skylar wrote a book that covered a lot of their thinking at the time.)

I'm also amused by how many people here complain about IP based attractions. Yet, every time a new Disney movie comes out there are immediately questions on the boards about "Where can we find <fill in the blank> character/attraction in the parks? Clearly IP has a huge impact on them park development.
I would say the Epcot (1982) that was built was not built with the intention of being a character infused park. Sure some do work like Finding Nemo in the Seas or Remy in France. However then there are clearly stretches like Guardians. Epcot's overall feel/theme has changed a lot in recent years.

To bulldoze both pavilions seems like a lot. I could see them gutting the interiors and refreshing the exteriors at most but who knows; the scope of what they want to do to Future World is huge so it might not be out of the realm of possibilities.

No matter what though, if Living With The Land is gone I will be outside the park on a soapbox with a picket sign protesting it anyway.
well but also what are they going to do with all of the fish????????

I would say the Epcot (1982) that was built was not built with the intention of being a character infused park.
True. In fact, in the early days of EPCOT the only place you would find a character was on the survey markers and the drains in the water fountains. It stayed that way for years before everybody asking for character interactions there.
Epcot's overall feel/theme has changed a lot in recent years.
Without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter