News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 AP gifts for F&W, for 1st & 4th visits. This is much better than last year!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/food-wine-annual-passholder-exclusives/

food-wine-cutting-board-5x2.jpg

4th visit. Pssht! We're gonna get at least 7 in this year!!

Here's the cut and paste from my Bloomberg system since I can't find it on a webpage anywhere. It's in a fairly understandable version of English instead of Legal at least.

Just so I am clear on how DAS works so I can better understand the lawsuit - does a DAS essentially provide access to the FP+ entrance for all rides/attractions? It seems like what the plaintiffs are asking for is immediate access to rides with no wait at all (with FP+ there often is still some wait time) and to do the rides in a pre-determined order...like a ride/attraction agenda for the day? Yes?

Just so I am clear on how DAS works so I can better understand the lawsuit - does a DAS essentially provide access to the FP+ entrance for all rides/attractions? It seems like what the plaintiffs are asking for is immediate access to rides with no wait at all (with FP+ there often is still some wait time) and to do the rides in a pre-determined order...like a ride/attraction agenda for the day? Yes?

Not exactly. You get 3 FP+ like any other guest, but with a DAS pass if you walk up to a ride without a FP+, they give you a return time corresponding to the time of the standby line. So if you have no FP+ for Peter Pan, and you come up to the standby line with a DAS Pass, and the Standby line is 45 minutes, you will get essentially a FP+ for 45 minutes from when you arrive. What you do for that 45 minutes is up to you, as opposed to standing in the line.

So you still have to wait the same as any other standby guest, you just don't have to wait in line.

What they are asking for changes depending on the Plaintiff. Some of them want to be able to make out a schedule before they get to the park of when they can do every ride, or however many as Disney will justify, and at what exact time they can go to the front of the line.

Other plaintiffs are asking for immediate access to any line they come up to, because their disabled guest simply cannot wait any length of time because of medical reasons.

Other Plaintiffs have asked for other accommodations, or made suggestions. So this suit is a compilation of things, some of them complimentary, some of them contradictory, and all of them saying what Disney currently does is not good enough to provide them with the same experience as other guests.

And I really hope that everyone reads these as neutral statements of fact, because I truly am making no opinion on the merits of any of this. My family is fortunate enough not to need these kinds of considerations and I really can't imagine the challenges for the families that are asking for them.

Not exactly. You get 3 FP+ like any other guest, but with a DAS pass if you walk up to a ride without a FP+, they give you a return time corresponding to the time of the standby line. So if you have no FP+ for Peter Pan, and you come up to the standby line with a DAS Pass, and the Standby line is 45 minutes, you will get essentially a FP+ for 45 minutes from when you arrive. What you do for that 45 minutes is up to you, as opposed to standing in the line.

So you still have to wait the same as any other standby guest, you just don't have to wait in line.

What they are asking for changes depending on the Plaintiff. Some of them want to be able to make out a schedule before they get to the park of when they can do every ride, or however many as Disney will justify, and at what exact time they can go to the front of the line.

Other plaintiffs are asking for immediate access to any line they come up to, because their disabled guest simply cannot wait any length of time because of medical reasons.

Other Plaintiffs have asked for other accommodations, or made suggestions. So this suit is a compilation of things, some of them complimentary, some of them contradictory, and all of them saying what Disney currently does is not good enough to provide them with the same experience as other guests.

And I really hope that everyone reads these as neutral statements of fact, because I truly am making no opinion on the merits of any of this. My family is fortunate enough not to need these kinds of considerations and I really can't imagine the challenges for the families that are asking for them.

Thanks this was really helpful and I absolutely read them as neutral statements. It seems to me that Disney is quite committed to making sure guests with various needs are thought of with the number of Make a Wish trips, etc. that go to Disney. I was somewhat surprised to see that there is an opinion that Disney isn't doing enough, but also don't really think this is the best place to discuss it further so was just curious exactly what DAS afforded people. I can also see how needing to get a come-back time could be a challenge for some autistic children and their parents/families. Thanks for your response!

With any lawsuit of this matter, it is easy to see both the plantiffs and Disneys point on the matter. Disney is required to provide reasonable accommodations that are also fair to all guests within reason. Since Disney does allow people to pay for guided VIP tours that allows for that immediate fastpass to any ride and is exactly what some of the DAS autistic camp is asking for, which is immediate fastpass access to any ride. Disney does have to prove that it isnt feasible which maybe harder to prove unless they can show it costs them a significant amount of money. This will be a interesting case to follow.

With any lawsuit of this matter, it is easy to see both the plantiffs and Disneys point on the matter. Disney is required to provide reasonable accommodations that are also fair to all guests within reason. Since Disney does allow people to pay for guided VIP tours that allows for that immediate fastpass to any ride and is exactly what some of the DAS autistic camp is asking for, which is immediate fastpass access to any ride. Disney does have to prove that it isnt feasible which maybe harder to prove unless they can show it costs them a significant amount of money. This will be a interesting case to follow.

It is a tough one as I definitely see both sides and do know some people with kids for whom this is a real need....

But then you see some points from Disney that people using the GAC made up 3% of all guests but were 30% of the usage on the most popular rides ... and of course that NY Times article that covered people “renting a disabled person” to get front of the line privileges and you understand then needing to modify things

Really hope they can find a solution as I think the fact Disney can be an amazing vacation for families that have to deal with additional challenges is one reason I am a fan and I don’t want that to go away

How about they just redesign Test Track, maybe take the track out and redesign the building into a different attraction. Maybe they could come up with a design that includes the history of transportation, perhaps, they could call it something like World of Motion - a nice quiet ride.

Just had to say how much this cracked me up. I love test track but I also miss Old Epcot

2018 AP gifts for F&W, for 1st & 4th visits. This is much better than last year!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/food-wine-annual-passholder-exclusives/

food-wine-cutting-board-5x2.jpg
So if we are planning on visiting Epcot on any 4 days within the F&W Festival days we should be able to get the cutting board? They'll track from our MB park entrances, I'm guessing? And if we wait until the 4th day of visiting we can just go once to the Festival Center to pick up both the 1st visit AP gift and the 4th visit AP gift? This is a nice size for a small picnic. I have something similar from Pampered Chef but this one has MM burned into the wood :)

So if we are planning on visiting Epcot on any 4 days within the F&W Festival days we should be able to get the cutting board? They'll track from our MB park entrances, I'm guessing? And if we wait until the 4th day of visiting we can just go once to the Festival Center to pick up both the 1st visit AP gift and the 4th visit AP gift? This is a nice size for a small picnic. I have something similar from Pampered Chef but this one has MM burned into the wood :)
I was wondering the same questions and am guessing the answer is "yes" to all.
It appears that the cutting board is about 6" or 7" wide. From the photo, the board almost looks too nice to actually use and get marked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter